• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide v Jim Sterling dismissed

Dargor

It means it can't be re-filed

If it was "without prejudice" they could later try to sue him again for the same thing

The same claims cannot be filed again

VIVA LA GARME JURNALZM

It's the legal equivalent of "go away and never return"
The results are not due to a technicality. The merits of the case are such that it cannot be refiled.

I see, thx. Jim must be happy then, no more headaches from these guys.

Why it's morally okay to make fun of the Romine brothers.

Because they have harassed Jim to the point of doxying him, make bad asset flip games and tried to sue 100 users on steam with Jim. They brought this on themselves

Edit: I just got the joke. I'm slow

Patryn

Well... sort of settled. Settlement usually means both sides agree to things. It doesn't look like Jim had to agree to anything. He obviously didn't agree to a NDA and he didn't give a penny to Digital Homicide.

He agreed to not pursue Romine for legal fees.

I don't really follow Jim Sterling's stuff, but I'm glad about this outcome. The lawsuit was some messed up crap that could have been very damaging to Sterling, but there's always that worry that they could have found a way to game the legal system.

TS-08

No legal precedent, sure, but at least anecdotally. If you're a dev looking to gag someone and claim damages for their negative opinions regarding your game then this will likely make you reconsider. If someone so apparently committed to pursuing the lawsuit hits this outcome pre-trial, that certainly sets an informal precedent.

I mean I agree with your point, you're right, but I just think that's what the poster talking about precedent meant :).

Not really. The guy was pursuing his claims pro se. And there are likely no consequences coming his way other than he agreed to dismiss the case. I don't know why anyone in the future who might have otherwise decided to sue someone in a similar situation would think twice because of the outcome here, particularly if they actually have a good faith basis to bring claims.

Woo-Fu

Banned
No legal precedent, sure, but at least anecdotally. If you're a dev looking to gag someone and claim damages for their negative opinions regarding your game then this will likely make you reconsider.

That only works with level-headed individuals. I'm sure the next Raging Romine won't let this slow him down, much less cause him to reconsider. That's also ignoring that filing suit isn't always with the expectation of winning. Sometimes it just about being a pain in somebody's ass.

-shadow-

jim_smileppsby.gif

Gxgear

Glad to see it's over and done with, the filings alone for dismissal seemed like a lot of work ie. billable hours.

DrArchon

Jesus, Greenlight is dying, DigiHom ended it's crusade against Jim, Konami isn't doing much to piss off people anymore, I feel like this the start of a new era for the Jimquisition brand.

Like, we're finally entering "Jimquisition: The Golden Age Arc", or "Jimquisition: The Boglin Retrieval Arc". Or maybe a tournament arc, I don't know what Jim has planned honestly.

I was very surprised when I read that compensation of legal fees will not be pursued.

That is shockingly nice Jim. Good on you.

Top Bottom