• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

playstation-5-test-temperature-scalda-console-v11-479348.jpg
Dont feed the trolls with reality . Let them be lol

Doesn’t mean it isn’t developing that black patch cos of those pics. Depends how he stored it to, maybe in a unit?

Are you talking about a burn mark?

Temperatures would have to be quite high for that to happen. And there's alot I'm between the plate and the APU.

Then there's also the sources credibility and the fact that he's the only one to report something like this. If there was a massive widespread issue with the cooling many others would have reported it by now. Much like the 360s RROD.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Doesn’t mean it isn’t developing that black patch cos of those pics. Depends how he stored it to, maybe in a unit?
Actually, I wondered if he rubbed it up against something sliding it in and out of where he stores it. It is obvious his spot is at a high point on the console and not really a spot where there is a great heat source. I would like to see the inside of the plate. He should have taken that pic of both sides of it. Obviously if it is heat it would be on the inside too.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
oh wait, theres people that actually believes that ps5 is more powerful than Series X haahahhabahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

emm hahahaha
Folks that use their PlayStation as their main console don’t think it is more powerful, just that it performs the same. This is icing on the cake for them if the PS wins in head to head competition. All they got was flak in the speculation thread, they have every right to gloat at this point. It is all in good fun.

Florin4k4

Logic? What logic? The only logic being applied is that since XSX has 18% more theoretical Teraflops, then it has to perform better than PS5.

That’s logic for you?

same goes with cars. Some people just compare hp and think they know which car will perform better. Sure one is more powerful but that doesn’t mean it will win the race.

Hp isn’t everything. Launch control control, gearbox, brakes, aerodynamics, weight etc. all matter.

I’ve seen a 650hp porsche beat 750-800hp Ferraris and lambos.

JonkyDonk

That isn't normal especially for a developer that didn't have any issues with the dev kits.
Honestly I think the developers are also confused about which xbox is which because of the naming scheme. They probably put the X1S settings on XSX. But it did mean that Series X runs better in 120hz mode so it gave xboys something to celebrate for a moment.

Honestly I think the developers are also confused about which xbox is which because of the naming scheme. They probably put the X1S settings on XSX. But it did mean that Series X runs better in 120hz mode so it gave xboys something to celebrate for a moment.

But won't it run worse if they up the settings?

thelastword

Banned
So the PS5 version has better textures, much higher settings, performs at 120fps most of the time 90% to be exact. Yet John is talking about judder when the game performs better on PS5 even with higher settings, no need for vrs, much less tearing and of course at a higher average resolution. So John is telling me the Xbox version feels better with Vrr, even when it looks much better, performs much better and tears much less on 99% of gamer tv's. People are not interested in how this game is with features that are not standard, people are interested in the real framerates that they will play on their TV's.... This is a tech channel, people want to see the framerates, they want to see which tears more, not tech guys trying to hide these numbers behind Vrr..... Or a day when all tv's will have it. Even if I have Vrr, I want to know which console performs better.. That's the purpose of a face off...

I'd say, I've never seen a more apologetic video. Dark10x sounds nervous as if he has a gun to his head. So many deep sighs....."Oh this is strange", "This doesn't seem right", "Explain this to me Richard, it makes no sense"...... These guys sound like they need some counseling sessions after yet another surprise and shock.... Of course, as I said in the last thread, anytime a game performs worse on Xbox, DF contacts the devs, it's as if he is working for MS Pr and marketing... Any time there is a huge discrepancy "we contact the devs", clearly a lie Richard, you never contacted the devs for RER2, Xenoverse, Witcher 3, AC Unity for the PS4 versions.... You only contacted the devs for Titanfall 2 and now Dirt 2.....Yet I suspect they will be contacting many devs all gen long with this level of mental dissonance.

Also, we know Richard. VRR is a game changer for 1% of TV owners..... Funny, 1440p support was a game changer too because MS supports it, so the PR before the Series S launched was 1440p was so important by MS and DF, it was labeled as the series S resolution, yet since Series S is barely doing 1440p, hell, barely doing 1080p in this game with lows to 576p.....Richard resorts to... "there are not many if any 1440p tv's anyway" .... The way the wheels keep turning to cater to makes excuses at every turn where Xbox is deficient and to hype every obscure feature Xbox has as if were popular or standard.....

onQ123

Now we know why

Comment #57 though lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine thinking you can create a burn mark on PS5 plastic with PS5 temperatures lol

Mayne it is not plastic but paper 🤔

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Boost mode it´s controlled overclocking.

New 1000$ AMD graphic card can work in boost mode, at 2,1GHZ, but with high-end ventilation, three fans only for the GPU, and very premium architecture. And its boost mode, normal gaming mode is 1,9GHZ.

PS5... well

I have a mark in the same area on my PS5, but it's smaller and it's whiter than the rest of the console rather than darker.

rXWDFCE.jpg

Good lord. I think at this point MS might want to say something, but then again they probably don’t want attention brought to these problems.

TJC

So the PS5 version has better textures, much higher settings, performs at 120fps most of the time 90% to be exact. Yet John is talking about judder when the game performs better on PS5 even with higher settings, no need for vrs, much less tearing and of course at a higher average resolution. So John is telling me the Xbox version feels better with Vrr, even when it looks much better, performs much better and tears much less on 99% of gamer tv's. People are not interested in how this game is with features that are not standard, people are interested in the real framerates that they will play on their TV's.... This is a tech channel, people want to see the framerates, they want to see which tears more, not tech guys trying to hide these numbers behind Vrr..... Or a day when all tv's will have it. Even if I have Vrr, I want to know which console performs better.. That's the purpose of a face off...

I'd say, I've never seen a more apologetic video. Dark10x sounds nervous as if he has a gun to his head. So many deep sighs....."Oh this is strange", "This doesn't seem right", "Explain this to me Richard, it makes no sense"...... These guys sound like they need some counseling sessions after yet another surprise and shock.... Of course, as I said in the last thread, anytime a game performs worse on Xbox, DF contacts the devs, it's as if he is working for MS Pr and marketing... Any time there is a huge discrepancy "we contact the devs", clearly a lie Richard, you never contacted the devs for RER2, Xenoverse, Witcher 3, AC Unity for the PS4 versions.... You only contacted the devs for Titanfall 2 and now Dirt 2.....Yet I suspect they will be contacting many devs all gen long with this level of mental dissonance.

Also, we know Richard. VRR is a game changer for 1% of TV owners..... Funny, 1440p support was a game changer too because MS supports it, so the PR before the Series S launched was 1440p was so important by MS and DF, it was labeled as the series S resolution, yet since Series S is barely doing 1440p, hell, barely doing 1080p in this game with lows to 576p.....Richard resorts to... "there are not many if any 1440p tv's anyway" .... The way the wheels keep turning to cater to makes excuses at every turn where Xbox is deficient and to hype every obscure feature Xbox has as if were popular or standard.....
Nailed it

Blond

Banned
They needed a SKU that they could price at $299; a more powerful SKU would have been too expensive. The Series S is literally the best that they could do for their targeted price point.
They should’ve followed Sony’s route and just went disc/discless because it’s not like it wouldn’t have gotten a 100 price drop or 100 Black Friday sale in a year like the PS3/360/PS4/X1 anyway.

At this point this is going to be worse than X1 pre-kinect removal since it’s barely better than the X1X.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
PS3 owners were hopeful too. They were told their console is the better one, just like XSX.
The general consensus is that the ps3 pumped out more technically impressive games once the devs wrapped their heads around the architecture, I'm not sure if that's the point you were trying to make. I don't care what console is "best", I just don't want my Series X to exhibit tearing when I bring my Xbox into the bedroom. I'm set in the game room with a VRR capable display.

Bug, bug, bug and tools. We requested fix for these bugs from the over worked developers... only on XBox.

VRR, VRR, so smooth and no tearing... So good it tickles R. Dickbeaters bum first then his eyes for maximum pleasure... only on Xbox.

(No mention that Sony will prob enable VRR pretty soon)

The fun doesn't mean we can't see DF's BS ever since the PS5 Review when Richard unveiled a literal ammo list for FUD while "praising" the PS5 like everyone else.... (yeah we caught that)... or on the first face off (DMC5:SE) giving out clear W's to XSX while claiming the 120 fps mode gap favoring PS5 by a wide margin was due to a bug...... Turns out the PS5 version was recently patched and it's now "running smooth in the other modes" (what a surprise - not). But somehow it didn't cross their mind then that maybe it was poor optimization/bug on the PS5's end? Like they didn't spend any cent of skepticism to damage control for Sony there... It was more or less "expected" for XSX to outperform PS5 there - and it all seemed "according to plan". But when the gaps consistently come from the other side and doesn't favor the XSX there is every damage control spin in the book (tools, bugs... vsync, you name it). NXGamer had to break the ice with his quick Assassins Creed Valhalla comparison (we noticed that too). Like... it isn't insulting to Sony engineers to claim that the reason Sony's hardware is outperforming the XSX is because of tools or bugs (lazy/incompetent devs).... It can't possibly be because of the quality of the engineering within the PS5, the effort that went into removing the bottlenecks, difference in hardware, its config etc, etc....

No.... like the fake pseudo experts with bias that they're; they only understand one metric as a descriptor of power: "Teraflops" . In other words, behaving as mere simpletons..... and anything that doesn't align to support the expected power difference between them due to this flawed metric is "unexplained", "tools", "bugs" or whatever else their imagination may come up with... (but my cynicism begs to digress here - they know exactly what they're doing - they understand there is more than meets the eye - even if they're not equiped with knowledge to discuss in detail why).

So yeah we see their BS... like always... but we'll enjoy the ride and use their notoriety since they can't hide this shit when competitors (NXGamer, VGTech and others) are out there biting at their heels for the same type of viewership. They can't hide. May as well "manage" the "perception problem™".

The new VRR push will die the second Sony patches it (and it's coming soon). You won't hear about it for much longer after that from DF. Just like the HDR FUD a few years back. They know exactly what they're doing and so do a lot of us. Only the sheep can't see it. Kinda funny how they've morphed lazy/incompetent devs with "bugs".... after the backlash they received. A simple practice in double speak to get the same damage control point across.... kinda like calling a mercenary a private security contractor.

Last edited:

Slashinghook

Neo Member
Video of dirt5 lead programer saying GDK for xsx and family is the best in xbox history .ufffffff 😅

Yes, right NOW. It was released in JUNE. Do you really think from June until today it’s enough time to build a game based on that GDK? If so, you are delusional. All games are still not fully using the new GDK, because it’s simply too new.
the PS5 SDK was already finalized in 2019!

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Yes, right NOW. It was released in JUNE. Do you really think from June until today it’s enough time to build a game based on that GDK? If so, you are delusional. All games are still not fully using the new GDK, because it’s simply too new.
the final version released in June. They have had the tools for a lot longer. Quite making excuses for a company that doesn’t care about you. These companies want our money, there is no
Need to stick up for them to the death.

Last edited:
bUt dIdNt pS5 bRuTe fOrCe tHe tErAfLoPs tO 10.2 tF!???

The FUD spreading is biting you guys in the ass and now you're reversing all the FUD, making yourselves look silly in front of the entire internet.

GHG

Gold Member

Glad to see you're alive and well meirl. Quite the portfolio of new accounts you've got there.

The fun doesn't mean we can't see DF's BS ever since the PS5 Review when Richard unveiled a literal ammo list for FUD while "praising" the PS5 like everyone else.... (yeah we caught that)... or on the first face off (DMC5:SE) giving out clear W's to XSX while claiming the 120 fps mode gap favoring PS5 by a wide margin was due to a bug...... Turns out the PS5 version was recently patched and it's now "running smooth in the other modes" (what a surprise - not). But somehow it didn't cross their mind then that maybe it was poor optimization/bug on the PS5's end? Like they didn't spend any cent of skepticism to damage control for Sony there... It was more or less "expected" for XSX to outperform PS5 there - and it all seemed "according to plan". But when the gaps consistently come from the other side and doesn't favor the XSX there is every damage control spin in the book (tools, bugs... vsync, you name it). NXGamer had to break the ice with his quick Assassins Creed Valhalla comparison (we noticed that too). Like... it isn't insulting to Sony engineers to claim that the reason Sony's hardware is outperforming the XSX is because of tools or bugs (lazy/incompetent devs).... It can't possibly be because of the quality of the engineering within the PS5, the effort that went into removing the bottlenecks, difference in hardware, its config etc, etc....

No.... like the fake pseudo experts with bias that they're; they only understand one metric as a descriptor of power: "Teraflops" . In other words, behaving as mere simpletons..... and anything that doesn't align to support the expected power difference between them due to this flawed metric is "unexplained", "tools", "bugs" or whatever else their imagination may come up with... (but my cynicism begs to digress here - they know exactly what they're doing - they understand there is more than meets the eye - even if they're not equiped with knowledge to discuss in detail why).

So yeah we see their BS... like always... but we'll enjoy the ride and use their notoriety since they can't hide this shit when competitors (NXGamer, VGTech and others) are out there biting at their heels for the same type of viewership. They can't hide. May as well "manage" the "perception problem™".

The new VRR push will die the second Sony patches it (and it's coming soon). You won't hear about it for much longer after that from DF. Just like the HDR FUD a few years back. They know exactly what they're doing and so do a lot of us. Only the sheep can't see it. Kinda funny how they've morphed lazy/incompetent devs with "bugs".... after the backlash they received. A simple practice in double speak to get the same damage control point across.... kinda like calling a mercenary a private security contractor.
You said what I wanted to say. The damage control DF is doing for Xbox is at a crazy level now. I’m pretty sure DF and MS have some sponsorship deals. or richard is just a Xbox fanboy.

Microsoft could overclock it´s GPU to 2,23GHZ, but then Xbox Series X consumers would suffer the same ps5 consumers are suffering now.

Series X is better than ps5, but needs better tools.

Your trolling skills are weak, try harder. The clock speeds are within tolerance of the silicone, but of course you would have already known this if you bothered to do proper research.

Shmunter

You said what I wanted to say. The damage control DF is doing for Xbox is at a crazy level now. I’m pretty sure DF and MS have some sponsorship deals. or richard is just a Xbox fanboy.
It’s probably less nefarious than that. I think they are simply treating the matter with kid gloves. Being full scathing will piss of Xbox fans and they will tune out from DF.

DF doesn’t want to cannibalise their audience.

I hope they test it again when the patch comes out. VRR will most likely make the XSX version the best, XSX already has the framerate advantage according to DF. Possibly because of the bug so we'll see if that holds up.

It only has a frame rate advantage in 120fps mode and that is mainly because the graphics are severely downgraded in that mode compared to PS5 version.

Jesus dude, they literally cover the results as they see them but you're needlessly angry because they didn't use very specific verbiage? Even though their DMC5, Valhalla, DiRT 5 etc. videos have been among the most technical, it's still not enough because you're sniffing for even a small inkling of anything you can perceive as a bias against your preferred brand? Grow the hell up, you sound like a spoiled teething infant.

Richard leans with a preference to Xbox, John leans with a preference to PlayStation, and Alex leans with a preference to PC. If anything, that makes them one of the more balanced analysis sources since that creates a natural checks-and-balances, and their individual analysis tend to even one another out. The things you're whining and crying about them WRT seemingly damage controlling for one system but not another is your own personal biased perception, looking for the smallest thing to moan over, it's childish.

The things DF have been bringing up WRT performance issues on MS's platforms likely being due to Gamecore migration isn't a bullshit excuse concocted out of thin air; it's something that's been an ongoing rumor for almost a year now, from multiple sources, including virtually all of the insiders. Now how true or not that is for how many devs is still up for questioning, but it's a plausible idea to bring up. And, bringing it up in no way invalidates the amazing work Sony has done on engineering the PS5 or making things incredibly simple for developers, but you are stuck in a very basic, binary "either/or" mentality; actual game and hardware development is magnitudes more difficult than that.

Also this was posted up from someone on Era, from a Eurogamer article earlier in the year, and might be interesting in context to further explaining some of the results 3P games are exhibiting on MS's platforms (bolded emphasis not mine):

In our PC-based tests, having SMT enabled can deliver up to 30 per cent - or more - of additional performance in well-threaded applications. However, for launch titles at least, Microsoft expects developers to opt for the higher 3.8GHz mode with SMT disabled. "From a game developer's perspective, we expect a lot of them to actually stick with the eight cores because their current games are running with the distribution often set to seven cores and seven worker threads," explains Microsoft technical fellow and Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen. "And so for them to go wider, for them to go to 14 hardware threads, it means that they have the system to do it, but then, you have to have workloads that split even more effectively across them. And so we're actually finding that the vast majority of developers - talking with them about the their choices for launch - the vast majority are going to go with the SMT disabled and the higher clock."

Yes this is all just speculation and theory WRT what's going on with MS's performance results, but it's a plausible scenario. Anyone who isn't a console warrior and looking to seeing both platforms perform up to their best standards, though, would at least try considering options going from a gradual best-to-worst case scenario, not jumping immediately to the worst-case. Which, as far as I can recall, is not something DF have done earlier WRT speculation on PS5; in fact any earlier speculating they did WRT "missing RDNA2 features" has basically been met the other way around with their almost giddy "surprises/PSTrizzle" talk shortly before the consoles released; while many were speculating that hint was about BC titles, it turns out it was probably actually in reference to analogizing Series X's current state to something "similar to" (but not 100% exact to) PS3's early state WRT multiplat games, and the results we've been seeing are bearing that out, at least for the interim. If people had a means of knowing how to read between the lines and not have everything spelled out for them, this would've been picked up on more.

I'm sorry none of this is probably satiating your blood for a war over pieces of plastic, but some of you guys really aught to calm down on this. It's like you're almost salivating at a worst-case scenario playing out for MS here, practically unhealthy. Something well beyond simply having a simple good laugh at the (admittedly ironic) situation they find themselves in with 3P performance considering their earlier messaging. I don't see how any genuine gamer takes joy in that type of thinking or perspective, personally, but maybe that's because I've grown up on a variety of console brands and don't attach my identity so tightly to a piece of plastic sporting a logo from a corporation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom