• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Nere

Well this happened to me today. I check my teamates before every game. After many games were people just feed the whole game I can't take it anymore and I check everyone, if I see more than 1 player being bad with many loses in a row or a lot of feed I disconnect the game during the loading screen. Did it 3 times in a row and went from a 20min ban to a 24h ban... well that escalated quickly, meh no dota for 1 day for me but I have to wonder Valve's policy if you disconnect during the queu you get 5min, 20min and finally 24h ban in that order. If you abandon during the games you go to low priority and especially the first time you abandon you don't lose anything except taking a loss, seems a bit unfair to me, what do you think?

24hrs for 3 times in a row doesn't seem super strict to me. As annoying as mid-game abandoners can be it's often not malicious (connection issues) and the game mechanics attempt to adapt for the missing player so the 4 remaining players have a shot. Everyone here has won games when down a player.

If you're just dodging every game when you see even a whiff of a shit player, try improving so you're in a better tier ya? Repeatedly having to perch on the client to accept a match and then waiting several minutes for loaders that don't show because someone isn't capable of carrying kinda sucks.

I'm sure it's also justified to try and stop cheaters/people gaming the system but I care less about that.

edit: of course a lot of time wasted could be solved with a CONCEDE option, get to it valve

TUSR

Banned
nere youre actually the worst

at least you didnt ruin the game for 9 other people by abandoning later in the game

Nere

nere youre actually the worst

at least you didnt ruin the game for 9 other people by abandoning later in the game

I am really not the worst. I never abandon a current game, the only ones I have abandoned were due to technical issues. I am sorry but I think everyone knows what kind of people play this game, I have no desire to lose MMR due to a guy who just feeds or bad parties.

M.D

shiva's first timbersaw with literally no mana rgn, not even a soul ring, calling me out and shitting on me

go fuck urself

literally no reason to even go shiva's, they had a team of tiny, centaur, necro, veno and phoenix

like wut? if that was a pipe instead at least it would have been of some use

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MMR doesn't work if everyone does what you do in an attempt to "game" the win rates, hence, harsher penalties.

Mid-game abandonment, as much as it sucks, doesn't threten the integrity of the system.

Nere

MMR doesn't work if everyone does what you do in an attempt to "game" the win rates, hence, harsher penalties.

Mid-game abandonment, as much as it sucks, doesn't threten the integrity of the system.

Eh? So playing 4v5 doesn't threaten the system? Obviously the full team is going to stomp the team that is missing a player.

I am really not the worst. I never abandon a current game, the only ones I have abandoned were due to technical issues. I am sorry but I think everyone knows what kind of people play this game, I have no desire to lose MMR due to a guy who just feeds or bad parties.

you're dodging ranked games?

I'm surprised they don't do a 24hr ban after your second offense tbh

Haly

Eh? So playing 4v5 doesn't threaten the system? Obviously the full team is going to stomp the team that is missing a player.

Setting aside the fact that I've won my share of 4v5s, and I won't deny the team of 5 has the edge, it is functionally no different from some guy who just happens to play very poorly and feeds a lot. Over time, the player that leaves a lot and the player that feeds a lot get pushed down, while others will eventually rise up above them so they won't be encountered anymore. The system corrects for this.

On the other hand, let's say, hypothetically, everyone in the game does what you do, and dodges every game until they're happy with who they're matched with. Overall, this will lead to less games being played. Less games being played means MMR will rise/fall slower. MMR change becoming slower means the system is less precise than it would be if there were more games. If the system is less precise then the games will feel worse all around, even with the queue dodging. Worse games overall means players are even more inclined to dodge.

Do you see how this works now?

Nere

Setting aside the fact that I've won my share of 4v5s, and I won't deny the team of 5 has the edge, it is functionally no different from some guy who just happens to play very poorly and feeds a lot. Over time, the player that leaves a lot and the player that feeds a lot get pushed down, while others will eventually rise up above them so they won't be encountered anymore.

On the other, let's say hypothetically, everyone in the game does what you do, and dodges every game until they're happy with who they're matched with. Overall, this will lead to less games being played. Less games being played means MMR will rise/fall slower. MMR change becoming slower means the system is less precise than it would be if there were more games. If the system is less precise then the games will feel worse all around, even with the queue dodging.

Do you see how this works now?

First of all who said I do it all the time? As I said first time I got the 24h ban today didn't even knew it existed, if I was doing it all the time I would have gotten that ban earlier. And I started doing it when I was qued again with a person who on the previous was just feeding and blaming everyone. I reported that person but I saw him on the loading screen on the same team with me again so bye. I think the system shouldn't queu you with people who you have reported in the past and skip them.

I don't think dodging harms anyone since the people get in a priority que anyway so they will find a game really fast. I fail to see how it is the same as a person who abandons mid game.

TUSR

Banned
"First of all who said I do it all the time?"

"I check my teamates before every game. After many games were people just feed the whole game I can't take it anymore and I check everyone, if I see more than 1 player being bad with many loses in a row or a lot of feed I disconnect the game during the loading screen"

"I check my teamates before every game."

"every game."

Haly

It is not the individual act that harms, but if it becomes a pattern, and to prevent it from becoming a pattern the system has to punish individual offenses.

Individual games don't matter to the matchmaker. It matters to the players, yes, this is unavoidably true, and, yes, it "feels bad" when your teammate leaves.

But the matchmaker's job isn't to make sure you don't "feel bad". The abandonment penalty exists to punish negative behavior and protect the community. The dodging penalty exists to make sure the matchmaker works in the long run.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I wait till I'm losing to start checking profiles to validate my performance.

Nere

"First of all who said I do it all the time?"

"I check my teamates before every game. After many games were people just feed the whole game I can't take it anymore and I check everyone, if I see more than 1 player being bad with many loses in a row or a lot of feed I disconnect the game during the loading screen"

"I check my teamates before every game."

"every game."

I said check not disconnect every single time, I do it but sparingly if I see an extreme case.

Artanisix

Well this happened to me today. I check my teamates before every game. After many games were people just feed the whole game I can't take it anymore and I check everyone, if I see more than 1 player being bad with many loses in a row or a lot of feed I disconnect the game during the loading screen. Did it 3 times in a row and went from a 20min ban to a 24h ban... well that escalated quickly, meh no dota for 1 day for me but I have to wonder Valve's policy if you disconnect during the queu you get 5min, 20min and finally 24h ban in that order. If you abandon during the games you go to low priority and especially the first time you abandon you don't lose anything except taking a loss, seems a bit unfair to me, what do you think?

suck it up i queue with captain anbokr and he feeds every game so

Ultrabum

MMR is fucking amazing. Playing WC3 dota was so much worse. The skill gaps were insane, everygame was nuts with one player usually dominating the entire game.

I think a lot of people underestimate how balanced their MMR is around things other than playing the game once the horn sounds. Things like dodging, when you play, if you play drunk / distracted, ping, counter-picking / picking patch dominate heroes all factor into your MMR in a big way. As it they should in order for MMR to function.

I am shocked the games are as close as they are. Also, about a forfeit option: players that chose to forfeit more often would definitely have lower MMR than those that played every game out.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
the game mechanics attempt to adapt for the missing player so the 4 remaining players have a shot. Everyone here has won games when down a player.

Hell I have lost more matches agaisnt 4 player teams than won because they always seem to have a Slark, Sven or Riki and the abandon gold makes them snowball so hard we just get fucking wrecked.

Fuckabandon gold!

(I do like it when I get abandon gold myself though...)

Chris R

shiva's first timbersaw with literally no mana rgn, not even a soul ring, calling me out and shitting on me

go fuck urself

literally no reason to even go shiva's, they had a team of tiny, centaur, necro, veno and phoenix

like wut? if that was a pipe instead at least it would have been of some use

Shiva to counter Phoenix's duh

edit: one of these days I'll abandon my first game. When I see it's going to be one of those games I grab some jungle farm instead of feeding and try to help, earning myself a report or two before the other team crushes us in about 30 minutes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey guys, this ESEA game is looking pretty popular:
zz27QCe.png

I like how Memes is a genre now apparently.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Any DotaGaf peeps wanna play some CS GO with me? I haven't played a match since the new leveling system and I only have about 50 hours clocked probably 30 of which are in arms race. If there is a basic equivalent like "always buy regen" with starting gold then I don't know what it is.

I know I should I post this in the CS GO thread as well but I wanted to see if there was any crossover between the communities first.

TUSR

Banned
Any DotaGaf peeps wanna play some CS GO with me? I haven't played a match since the new leveling system and I only have about 50 hours clocked probably 30 of which are in arms race. If there is a basic equivalent like "always buy regen" with starting gold then I don't know what it is.

I know I should I post this in the CS GO thread as well but I wanted to see if there was any crossover between the communities first.

almost always upgrade pistol

dont use the silenced M4

practice AK47/A4 sprays

dont move and shoot

turn off mouse accel

progressively drop your mouse sensitivity

uncapped FPS

prioritize FPS over graphics

144hz monitor

no gsync

change your crosshair

turn off AA

I probably should get back into cs one of these days but I gotta grind out of silver again

how the fuck people manage to work over 60 hours of work a week? I work a little bit more than 40 hours and I still think it is too much time and I can't do shit when I'm out.

All compromises go to the weekend, and if I have to go to the bank (which I actually have to do next week..) you basically lose a day of salary. My sister who's a medical resident and when she's home she basically spent all day sleeping due to fucked up sleep cycle.

I'm going to search on internet work and become a full-on home worker or someshit someday.
kunk-rum.gif

Hylian7

how the fuck people manage to work over 60 hours of work a week? I work a little bit more than 40 hours and I still think it is too much time and I can't do shit when I'm out.

All compromises go to the weekend, and if I have to go to the bank (which I actually have to do next week..) you basically lose a day of salary. My sister who's a medical resident and when she's home she basically spent all day sleeping due to fucked up sleep cycle.

I'm going to search on internet work and become a full-on home worker or someshit someday.
kunk-rum.gif

Yeah I have a hard time doing over 40 myself. I have no idea how people pull 60 regularly, even worse for people on salary that are expected to work that much without overtime pay.

Honestly I think the concept of salary pay is fucked in general.

Quesa

I check my own dotabuff before I queue up for a game, realize how much i fucking suck, then don't play

the system works

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Apparently I haven't played Silenced in 2 years. Doesn't feel that long tbh.

These quests are keeping me from randoming!

For me, I can put in 45 without to much issue, but I just do 40 or less most weeks. I think how it breaks down is that 3/4 weeks, I work like 30 to 35 hours, but 1/4 weeks I'll work 45/50 hours. I have no clue how someone could work 60 hours a week every week though. Once every few months, have to put in a shit ton of hours, ok, but every week? God damn.

Chris R

I could do 60s no problem. I'm already doing 8s a day but get to work about 15 mins early to avoid the worst of whatever traffic my shitty little town can produce. Chop my lunch in half and I'd just need to add 3:15 each day. Show up an hour earlier and stick around for 2 more. ez

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I could do 60s no problem. I'm already doing 8s a day but get to work about 15 mins early to avoid the worst of whatever traffic my shitty little town can produce. Chop my lunch in half and I'd just need to add 3:15 each day. Show up an hour earlier and stick around for 2 more. ez

8am to 8pm (Or really, 8am to 9pm, since I think they legally have to give you two 30 minutes breaks for a shift that long). OR, work weekends.

No thank you.

Sibylus

Banned

kunk-rum.gif

Sacrificing sleep, leisure, or social life is usually how it's done.

Low Tier
I'm currently working 50-60

I get like 5 hours of sleep a night

I just end up sacrificing sleep so I can retain my leisure time.

But whatever fuck life I just want a sugarmomma

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have had to work 70-80h weeks for a month on-end whilst in crunch before. Shit was brutal made me just want to straight up quit my job after. I did get 7 days off for free (did not cut into my 28 days a year) so it kind of made up for it.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
almost always upgrade pistol

dont use the silenced M4

practice AK47/A4 sprays

dont move and shoot

turn off mouse accel

progressively drop your mouse sensitivity

Anytime you purchase a non-awp or scout weapon you can normally skip pistol upgrades.

Good list, to expand on the normal v silenced: newer players will benefit especially from a larger mag and a more similar spray to the AK will help you stay consistent between sides.

Practice your aim/spray in one of the spray maps, I forget the name but one is really popular, then bump yourself up to FFA DM servers from the community server list. TheFragShack is pretty popular, they have like 8 15 man servers. It'll be chaotic, it'll be painful, but put an hour in each day and youll get better.

By sacrificing sleep and/or free time. I work a rotating schedule of 4 on 4 off / 3 on 3 off, and 12 hour shifts. So if I work a day of OT on a 4 day week that's 60 hours. To put it mildly, on my work days, that's really all I do. I wake up, shower, eat, go to work for 7pm, and when I get out I basically either go to the gym or eat and then go right to bed. I watch some Netflix here and there, but in order to work that much I basically work 5 nights with maybe an hour or two a day to do stuff that isn't work.

Top Bottom