• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is either a Slime Mori Mori 3 announcement for the DS, or Dragon Quest Itagaki Street game for the DS. Either way, its not going to be that big of an announcement. Even so, another Slime Mori Mori game would be nice.

Dascu

Yes, you're right. The Dragon Quest series has a far smaller emphasis on realistic graphics, so the Wii hardware should be sufficient. And if the DS effect works on the Wii too, then it will have an enormous userbase, enough to warrant some Square Enix super titles like DQ9.
It could happen, and I hope it does.

edit: Er oops, directed at Mithos Yggdrassil's post.

TheKingsCrown said:
If they actually utilized the Wiimote in DQIX, it would be hard to make it for anything else, no?

RPG's are menu based games. What could they do that would make it so hard to port by using the Wii-mote ?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
RPG's are menu based games. What could they do that would make it so hard to port by using the Wii-mote ?
The things I can think of:

Spell aiming (such as fireball)
Sword attacks for non-spell characters / whip attacks
Realistic shovel digging for treasures :)lol )

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:

Spell aiming? This is a turn-based battle system. Why the hell would you need to aim your spells or swing your sword?

They already got a waggly Dragon Quest, it's that on rails crap!

Amir0x said:
Spell aiming? This is a turn-based battle system. Why the hell would you need to aim your spells or swing your sword?

Well, don't you think after VIII that the DQ series is in need of a significant change? I think that S-E's rationale could be the following:

DQ may be becoming stale and we can't do a lot that we haven't already done...so in the interest of DQ not cannibalizing FF and FF not cannibalizing DQ, let's change the game, completely and carefully to maximize sales and gamers love for us. So let's take things out of turn based and let players cast "hurt" in real time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheKingsCrown said:

Yeah please keep that out of my dragon quest.

kthnx.

Well, don't you think after VIII that the DQ series is in need of a significant change?

Why do you hate freedom?

There are tons of other RPG series out there. Why do you want them to change DRAGON QUEST?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yeah please keep that out of my dragon quest.

kthnx.

Why do you hate freedom?

There are tons of other RPG series out there. Why do you want them to change DRAGON QUEST?
I'm not saying I want them to, but the business may make them do so. I have been playing DQ since the first one where you had to dig for Erdrick's (spell9ing?) armor. I love the series, but I can see them deciding to change it finally.

Dascu

Amir0x said:

:(

Regardless, it does seem tricky to implement Wiimote controls with a standard turn-based RPG system, other than using it for the menus.

Y2Kev

TheKingsCrown said:
I'm not saying I want them to, but the business may make them do so. I have been playing DQ since the first one where you had to dig for Erdrick's (spell9ing?) armor. I love the series, but I can see them deciding to change it finally.

The business will not make them change Dragon Quest. At all.

Regardless of which, all those functions could be dropped (or modified, you could use the sixaxis as a shovel if you really were so enraptured by the idea) for any release on any other platform.

DQ is pure, old-school adventure. It will not be changed.

Where is ethelred? Someone needs to deliver the "why JRPGs aren't broken" speech right now. :(

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Well, don't you think after VIII that the DQ series is in need of a significant change?

Do I personally want it to change? Well, since I hate random battles... yes. But will they change it? Does 5 billion people purchasing the game in Japan mean they are tired with it and want a change? I think the point of the game is obviously to be old school there.

TheKingsCrown said:
DQ may be becoming stale and we can't do a lot that we haven't already done...so in the interest of DQ not cannibalizing FF and FF not cannibalizing DQ, let's change the game, completely and carefully to maximize sales and gamers love for us. So let's take things out of turn based and let players cast "hurt" in real time.

Well DQ8 was iirc the best selling DQ game in North America, and it's as strong as ever in Japan. So what would be indicating to SquareEnix that the series is stagnating or becoming stale, to even a remote fraction of the userbase who buys it?

I mean, if you ask me, them finally going the full 3D route with a huge explorable 3D overworld is as big a change the series main is ever likely to get... and since it finally got good graphics, it seems it's right where it should be for those who actually like the series.

What you want is another DQ spin-off. Final Fantasy is already different enough from DQ games, so there's no way either series will 'cannibalize' the other.

jett

D-Member
It's about ****ing time they announce DQIX. It's been two years since DQVIII.

And DQ doesn't need to change dramatically, the fact that it's so traditional is what I like best about it. The 'tards that want it to change probably never played DQ in their lives.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
hm, that's vague a new Dragon Quest game? could be a spinoff :/

why would they hold a presentation for spinoff? maybe a remake or DQ9

xaosslug

prob. DQ PS3 or PS2 in some form or another, I'm sure. Wii and DS are getting DQ games, I think Square-Enix're will be cautious in playing favorites with anybody but market leader right now. Or maybe, FF: Before Crisis Core DS...? :lol

Amir0x said:
Do I personally want it to change? Well, since I hate random battles... yes. But will they change it? Does 5 billion people purchasing the game in Japan mean they are tired with it and want a change? I think the point of the game is obviously to be old school there.

Well DQ8 was iirc the best selling DQ game in North America, and it's as strong as ever in Japan. So what would be indicating to SquareEnix that the series is stagnating or becoming stale, to even a remote fraction of the userbase who buys it?

I mean, if you ask me, them finally going the full 3D route with a huge explorable 3D overworld is as big a change the series main is ever likely to get... and since it finally got good graphics, it seems it's right where it should be for those who actually like the series.

What you want is another DQ spin-off. Final Fantasy is already different enough from DQ games, so there's no way either series will 'cannibalize' the other.

You are right about the purchases of Japanese gamers, but won't they buy it no matter what? I guess what I am saying is...isn't it possible that from the success of "different" games, S-E might see that they could sell 4-8 million DQIX's if they change it into a non-game-game?

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
You are right about the purchases of Japanese gamers, but won't they buy it no matter what? I guess what I am saying is...isn't it possible that from the success of "different" games, S-E might see that they could sell 4-8 million DQIX's if they change it into a non-game-game?

No. If they wanted to capitalize on that phenomenon, they wouldn't do it by shoehorning elements of it into a tried-and-true franchise. They'd just create an original series with these types of elements, or a spin-off at most. Games don't get much bigger than DQ main, no matter what you do or add.

Amir0x said:
No. If they wanted to capitalize on that phenomenon, they wouldn't do it by shoehorning elements of it into a tried-and-true franchise. They'd just create an original series with these types of elements, or a spin-off at most. Games don't get much bigger than DQ main, no matter what you do or add.
Who says they have to shoe-horn though? Why not actually make it worth the addition?

RaijinFY

I doubt It's DQIX... assuming Horii is keeping Level-5 to develop it. But for now, Level-5 is extremely busy with the DS game and White Knight Story on PS3.
I would bet on DQVI developed by the same team who did DQVr, on PS2 or DS.

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Who says they have to shoe-horn though? Why not actually make it worth the addition?

You'd be shoehorning it, because the series is not about any of the things you said. It's plainly about oldschool jRPG shit, turn-based with random battles. Any additional wiimote elements like aiming your spells and slashing your sword would be, by definition, shoehorning it in. At the very most, they could add the gimmicky equivalent to breaking iceblocks in Castlevania DS, and of course menu navigation. But what you suggest is never going to happen in a DQ main, because it would make it into another game series entirely. It's not like FF, where things change so significantly from game to game. Much of its success is owed to its oldschool, nostalgic nature.

Basically this discussion is so pointless because not only isn't it ever going to happen, but it's a dumb idea to boot

Amir0x said:
You'd be shoehorning it, because the series is not about any of the things you said. It's plainly about oldschool jRPG shit, turn-based with random battles. Any additional wiimote elements like aiming your spells and slashing your sword would be, by definition, shoehorning it in. At the very most, they could add the gimmicky equivalent to breaking iceblocks in Castlevania DS, and of course menu navigation. But what you suggest is never going to happen in a DQ main, because it would make it into another game series entirely. It's not like FF, where things change so significantly from game to game. Much of its success is owed to its oldschool, nostalgic nature.

Basically this discussion is so pointless because not only isn't it ever going to happen, but it's a dumb idea to boot

So it HAS been shown that this nature of DQ is what sells it? I guess I did not consider that aspect.

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
So it HAS been shown that this nature of DQ is what sells it? I guess I did not consider that aspect.

Hey! I'm with you in spirit, man, I would like certain things to change (not in the way you suggested with waggling spells and swords, but change nonetheless)... but it just isn't going to happen. Definitely menu navigation is a simple thing for them to do, but other than that I can't imagine they'd take this freefall dive you'd be suggesting.

Will DQIX be a Wii game? Imho, it's very, very likely at this point. But it won't be with those types of elements you're suggesting :p

Hunter D

TheKingsCrown said:
Well, don't you think after VIII that the DQ series is in need of a significant change? I think that S-E's rationale could be the following:

I see you aren't a dragon quest fan.

MS needs to throw a 50mill at square and get a blockbuster out of them. If give SK millions they can do the same with square.

TheKingsCrown said:
I'm not saying I want them to, but the business may make them do so.

Do you, like, just not understand that

1) DQ is the best-selling series in Japan bar-none
2) it is that way because it does not change

or what?

ethelred

Seems like DQIX on PS2 to me.

TheKingsCrown said:

DQ may be becoming stale and we can't do a lot that we haven't already done...so in the interest of DQ not cannibalizing FF and FF not cannibalizing DQ, let's change the game, completely and carefully to maximize sales and gamers love for us.

1. Dragon Quest is not in need of significant change, or is it going to receive any significant change. It is the bastion of traditionalism, and that will not change.
2. Dragon Quest isn't stale. It's traditional. If you think it's stale, go play something else.
3. Final Fantasy is a very different beast than Dragon Quest. It is a series that has always valued and strived for innovation within each game, and since the PSX era, has always gone for higher and higher production values. None of that stuff defines Dragon Quest.

TheKingsCrown said:
So let's take things out of turn based and let players cast "hurt" in real time.

Please never post about Dragon Quest again.

ethelred said:
I could see that. And then I am reminded of that infamous S-E quote: "We will not be giving the most support to Sony systems..." or whatever

Hey! I'm with you in spirit, man, I would like certain things to change (not in the way you suggested with waggling spells and swords, but change nonetheless)... but it just isn't going to happen. Definitely menu navigation is a simple thing for them to do, but other than that I can't imagine they'd take this freefall dive you'd be suggesting.

Will DQIX be a Wii game? Imho, it's very, very likely at this point. But it won't be with those types of elements you're suggesting :p

Couldn't they do the shovel thing, just for Mii?

j/k. I wouldn't really care about that, but I think the spell thing could be cool. In any case, what makes you think it so likely it would hit Wii?

jett said:
It's about ****ing time they announce DQIX. It's been two years since DQVIII.

And DQ doesn't need to change dramatically, the fact that it's so traditional is what I like best about it. The 'tards that want it to change probably never played DQ in their lives.
I can't believe I'm saying this about an RPG that has pretty much every single fault that I hate about RPGs in it but...QFT.

DQVIII is plain old-school fun and has shown me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with traditional when done right (which is rare these days). The only real change I'd like is the complete nixing of random battles in favor of being able to see the monsters on the field. Everything else should stay the same.

JayDubya

Banned
DQ's been strange. In NA, DQIV came out for the NES a year and a half after the SNES had been out.

DQV and VI never came here, but DQVI came out in Japan a year after the PSX had launched.

In NA, DQVII came out a year after PS2 had launched.

We're getting less and less DQ per gen. :(

I'm thinking if they announce DQIX for PS3, we'll see it about the time we start seriously hearing about the specs for the PS4.

I'm hoping PS2, but with Progressive Scan enabled this time.

Y2Kev

ethelred said:

1. Dragon Quest is not in need of significant change, or is it going to receive any significant change. It is the bastion of traditionalism, and that will not change.
2. Dragon Quest isn't stale. It's traditional. If you think it's stale, go play something else.
3. Final Fantasy is a very different beast than Dragon Quest. It is a series that has always valued and strived for innovation within each game, and since the PSX era, has always gone for higher and higher production values. None of that stuff defines Dragon Quest.

There he is! *claps*

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Couldn't they do the shovel thing, just for Mii?

j/k. I wouldn't really care about that, but I think the spell thing could be cool. In any case, what makes you think it so likely it would hit Wii?

Wii seems a perfect fit for the lack of ambition the DQ series usually has in the series main. You wouldn't need to do much control-wise (menu navigation is all you need, and you could even make it so you play the game single handed) and they wouldn't need to create a brand new graphics engine... just lazily port the shit from the DQVIII game, since that looked sufficient. Add in some new lighting effects, and bam you got a relatively cheap game that is still gonna sell 5,000,000,000 copies. Couple that with the fact that Wii is getting DQ Swords, which seems to me sort of the proverbial testing of the waters for the DQ market on the system, then you got a very good chance.

Oh and the fact that Sony priced PS3 out of the market.

Llyranor

Dascu said:
:(

Regardless, it does seem tricky to implement Wiimote controls with a standard turn-based RPG system, other than using it for the menus.

Not targetting DQ itself since it seems to be based on tradition, but many JRPGs that use 'press a button at the right time to deal extra damage' or 'press A repetitively to increase your power' could benefit from some Wiimote implementations. Timing a sword slash instead of a button press would be a step up. Casting a spell via some sort of drawing incantation to increase its potency could be nice. The Wii could help with these timing-based 'gimmicks'.

Not that I'm saying the combat mechanics should be easily focused on those. I just think a standard TB system could to some extent benefit from the Wiimote. Not to mention menu controls.

That being said, all that is pointless without solid underlying turn-based mechanics, and no amount of embellishment will cover that up. Irrespective of console.

Y2Kev

It's going to be a DQ remake using the FFIII engine for DS. I don't even know if the styles are compatible or whatever, but they'll use it

Cause S-E is going to use the shit out of that thing.

ethelred said:

I think the black and whites in your post reek of last generation logic. This industry has changed quite a bit lately. I guess we'll see in the end, I just don't know if I believe in the black and white anymore.

And I never said that I thought DQ was stale. I was talking from the perspective of S-E in terms of its future. I don't think they could replicate VIII 7000 times due to its monstrous nature. Maybe 2-3. I don't know where they would take it, but I'm just saying they could be thinking differently.

JayDubya

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's going to be a DQ remake using the FFIII engine for DS. I don't even know if the styles are compatible or whatever, but they'll use it

I wish they would release a collection of 16-bit remakes + finally sell DQV and VI over here.

Y2Kev

amirox said:
Oh and the fact that Sony priced PS3 out of the market.

Remember that in Japan, the PS3 is only SLIGHTLY ridiculous!

It's what, about 400 bucks? So 360 premium pricing? I could see that helping out with DQ viability. It's still ridiculous, especially considering the incredible discount you can get on 360 plus Blue Dragon.

...which is why 360 is going to be the next PS2.

ethelred

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Oh, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DQ remakes on the DS, but I think they'll look a lot more like DQM: J than FFIII.

TheKingsCrown said:
I think the black and whites in your post reek of last generation logic. This industry has changed quite a bit lately. I guess we'll see in the end, I just don't know if I believe in the black and white anymore.

No, my post reeked of actual logic, something yours decided to forego in favor of Nintendo-boosterism. The industry has changed. Dragon Quest has not, and Dragon Quest will not. It's the same series it has always been, and Yuji Horii isn't going to change it.

TheKingsCrown said:
And I never said that I thought DQ was stale. I was talking from the perspective of S-E in terms of its future. I don't think they could replicate VIII 7000 times due to its monstrous nature. Maybe 2-3. I don't know where they would take it, but I'm just saying they could be thinking differently.

Dragon Quest remains one of Square Enix's top franchises, and Yuji Horii, Koichi Sugiyama, and Akira Toriyama remain at the helm. I don't think anyone's concerned about the series' future.

Y2Kev

ethelred said:
Oh, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DQ remakes on the DS, but I think they'll look a lot more like DQM: J than FFIII.

No, my post reeked of actual logic, something yours decided to forego in favor of Nintendo-boosterism. The industry has changed. Dragon Quest has not, and Dragon Quest will not. It's the same series it has always been, and Yuji Horii isn't going to change it.

Dragon Quest remains one of Square Enix's top franchises, and Yuji Horii, Koichi Sugiyama, and Akira Toriyama remain at the helm. I don't think anyone's concerned about the series' future.

I have an idea. How about a game--filed with waggle of course, including having to actually cup your hands in prayer formation to save your game at the priest-- where you play a bald space marine in the DQ universe? The industry has changed. No longer is Simon Belmont the rage, now everyone wants Marcus Fenix.

Indeed. Hero will have his name changed to Mutha****in' Hero, Slayer of Bitches. He will no longer tie a handkerchief around his head. Instead, he will use a doo-rag.

Grecco

:lol I love it how fanboys want DQ for their console of choice.

id lol if it came out for the Phantom, the Wonder Swan or Windows Vista. Impossible i know

and my guess its gonna be another spinoff on the DS anyways

TheKingsCrown said:

Not for regular spells, but for special moves, it would be nice to do certain motions to activate them. Take one less ability off the menu and add more strategy options onto the battle menu.

Anyway, guess this means just more games to buy next year :D

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
DQ IX needs more customizability and gameplay mechanics. VIII was shit and repetitive, in the end I gave up one it. I hope its Wii bound since it would seem logical, maybe a ds+wii game.

Jiggy

Mojojo said:
guessing game : Square Enix will announce DQ 1~6 for the Wii Virtual Console
That or on DS is my greatest hope. Actually preferably on DS, since then we'd be more assured of the games showing up outside Japan.

Majmun

Graphics aren't really important for a new DQ game. But userbase is.

Ps2 version of DQIX confirmed?

Yoboman

DQ can stay traditional all it wants but I still want some updates. Specifically in the real world interaction, being able to pick up and interact with more things, maybe some character interaction, a more open map without the barriers, better story, more customisation with the characters, instead of a select few clothing apparell

ethelred

Yoboman said:
DQ can stay traditional all it wants but I still want some updates. Specifically in the real world interaction, being able to pick up and interact with more things, maybe some character interaction, a more open map without the barriers, better story, more customisation with the characters, instead of a select few clothing apparell

You can have the female lead wear a bunny costume. I'm really not sure how any game can offer deeper and more rewarding customization than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom