• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

llTll

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It is not impossible. The Dragon Quest Series doesn't need a CELL CPU and amazing graphics to become wonderful. The Xbox360 is without hope in Japan and Sony has enormous problem to produce PS3s. The Wii starts really strong and probably will reach an "interesting" userbase relativity soon.

The result is that Square-Enix could really decide to develop Dragon Quest IX only for the Wii.
What ? Unlikely ? Perhaps, but not impossible at all at this point.

and this ladies, gents and all aliens, is what i call " limited thinking "

which means, the gaf user wont think further than 1 month in the future, when the console should last for 60 months [ 5 years starting from next year ]

Pellham

Banned
Poody said:
DQ IX needs more customizability and gameplay mechanics. VIII was shit and repetitive, in the end I gave up one it. I hope its Wii bound since it would seem logical, maybe a ds+wii game.

No it doesn't need that. It needs you to stop playing Dragon Quest so the 5 million DQ fans in Japan and the US won't have to deal with any changes that a non-DQ fan wants.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Second said:
Graphics aren't really important for a new DQ game. But userbase is.

Ps2 version of DQIX confirmed?

PSWii confirmed. I can't think of the Wii without DQIX in the way that the system is is going on. So I see a PS2 developed DQ9 being ported to the wii, and being released at the same day.

ethelred said:
Oh, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DQ remakes on the DS, but I think they'll look a lot more like DQM: J than FFIII.

No, my post reeked of actual logic, something yours decided to forego in favor of Nintendo-boosterism. The industry has changed. Dragon Quest has not, and Dragon Quest will not. It's the same series it has always been, and Yuji Horii isn't going to change it.

Dragon Quest remains one of Square Enix's top franchises, and Yuji Horii, Koichi Sugiyama, and Akira Toriyama remain at the helm. I don't think anyone's concerned about the series' future.

I'm a business booster more than a Nintendo booster. I guess we'll see who is right: If DQIX is, sometime in the future, announced for Wii and we don't see changes to the game that take advantage of the Wii (besides just menu stuff), I'll accept a permanent ban.

Yoboman

ethelred said:
You can have the female lead wear a bunny costume. I'm really not sure how any game can offer deeper and more rewarding customization than that.
MAybe not more rewarding, but it could definately be deeper. I want to customise my bunny suit GOD DAMN IT :lol

I can see DQIX being released for PS2 a year into the PS3's lifespan as most likely happening. The PS2 has a massive user base and at least another 18 months of life in it, so >3 million people in Japan will still buy it for that console or PS3. And as mentioned before, DQ does not require realistic graphics.

Also; this is a personal thing I might add, DQ games tend to be grouped in trilogies. Although VII and VIII are standalone stories, it would be odd see the final part off on another console.

So DQIX for PS2, DQX for Wii.

ethelred

TheKingsCrown said:
I'm a business booster more than a Nintendo booster. I guess we'll see who is right: If DQIX is, sometime in the future, announced for Wii and we don't see changes to the game that take advantage of the Wii (besides just menu stuff), I'll accept a permanent ban.

Hey, look, I'm not trying to get you banned or to engage in one of those silly bets this forum's so obsessed with.

I'm just saying you're wrong.

You're wrong when you say Dragon Quest is in need of any kind of serious change or overhaul, when the series thrives on sustaining a sense of traditionalism. Japanese consumers probably wouldn't even be able to accept many of the slightest, minor cosmetic changes that were made to Dragon Quest VIII for American fans, such as the redone menu system.

You're wrong when you say that Square Enix likely thinks it needs any of the ludicrous things you suggest, such as real-time combat or wiimote-waving spellcasting. Square Enix has never shown anything other than full confidence in the ability of Yuji Horii to personally manage this series, and he's going to keep running it the same way he always has -- by letting Dragon Quest be Dragon Quest. Spinoffs are well and good, and Horii will continue to allow experimentation through those (seriously, I think the game you want and should be looking forward to is Dragon Quest Swords), but the actual series? Not going to change. No push for it to change. No desire for it to change.

And you're wrong when you suggest that shifts the market is undergoing will in some way necessitate any kind of overhaul in the Dragon Quest series. Certainly new consumers are being brought in, and some things that were once popular are declining in popularity. But anyone with a serious eye towards the Japanese market can also see that the value of traditionalism is as strong as ever -- look no further than the successes of Final Fantasy III, or Tales of Destiny R, or Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, or New Super Mario Bros.

Dragon Quest will always be Dragon Quest, until the three men who have maintained exclusive control over every aspect of the eight main series installments are all dead.

Now, Dragon Quest IX may well appear on the Wii -- it's likely to have a very significant Japanese userbase, and that's a key point; it allows Square Enix to better leverage its franchises between the different hardware manufactuers, to force some level of equalization between them and increase Square Enix's influence in the market; it's a fairly low development cost platform where there wouldn't be any expectation for huge graphical achievements, something the next DQ isn't going to attempt to deliver no matter what console it calls home. But if it does, it's still going to be the same old
awesome
Dragon Quest, just as Super Smash Bros. Brawl is going to use the classic controller. A DQIX Wii might use limited wiimote motions for menu navigation and the like, but I'd not be surprised if they eschewed every feature of the controller entirely.

The counterbalancing point to this is that if DQIX appears on the PS3, it's not going to be a graphical powerhouse. It's not going to be the PS3's answer to Blue Dragon. That's why I think the silly partisan wars over it are so pointless -- it'll be the same game no matter what system they put it on.

If it's announced this early, though, I'd go with PS2, under the expectation that they've likely been developing it for a while now and aren't prepared to declare DQ for either next-gen platform -- which is, I'd say, to Wii's favor, if they're that unsure of how the console war will shape out in the future.

1162629584071.gif

This is awesome

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
who cares what system the game comes out for? it's ****in DQ if you are a fan of rpgs you shouldn't care about superficial stuff like console of preference.

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
who cares system the game comes out for? it's ****in DQ if you are a fan of rpgs you shouldn't care about superficial stuff like console of preference.

Hi buddy, just reminding you that you're posting on GAF! :D

Vargas

Error2k4 said:
who cares what system the game comes out for? it's ****in DQ if you are a fan of rpgs you shouldn't care about superficial stuff like console of preference.

It is just dick waving. Those people have no intention of buying the game.

Error2k4 said:
I know I'm a Nintendo fanboy and it would appear that I am arguing in support of Wii features because I care, but I am really not doing such a thing. I am saying the changing industry gives reason for pause and consideration with this title considering the strange things going on, even in Japan:

PSP selling as much as PS3 and thus PS2 selling more
Wii selling more
DS toppling the Japanese
New ideas (Brain age) crushing old (Final Fantasy III) in sales.

Ethelred, I do not dispute the case for traditionalism. But I think the traditional value of certain things might be being eroded as we speak by the monster that is DSLite and by where sales are going and are not going on that platform. While DS may not be able to predict console trends a majority of the time, it certainly gives pause in some respects, does it not?

ethelred

TheKingsCrown said:
New ideas (Brain age) crushing old (Final Fantasy III) in sales.

Ethelred, I do not dispute the case for traditionalism. But I think the traditional value of certain things might be being eroded as we speak by the monster that is DSLite and by where sales are going and are not going on that platform. While DS may not be able to predict console trends a majority of the time, it certainly gives pause in some respects, does it not?

Considering that FFIII has surpassed the sales of any Square Enix game on the GBA, considering that Mana DS passed Mana Advance, that DQH DS is just slightly below DQH Advance, considering that they have a good shot at a second million seller in DQM Joker...

If anything, the DS is validating Square Enix's place in the marketplace more than ever.

ethelred said:
Considering that FFIII has surpassed the sales of any Square Enix game on the GBA, considering that Mana DS passed Mana Advance, that DQH DS is just slightly below DQH Advance, considering that they have a good shot at a second million seller in DQM Joker...

If anything, the DS is validating Square Enix's place in the marketplace more than ever.

I agree to a certain extent, although they did "change" the title in terms of its graphics. I haven't played the game yet (too much work, it is sitting around) so I don't know if they did anything else on DS with it. I don't know, I just feel as though things are changing very very quickly right now and logic of old is no longer applicable, even in the steeley traditionalism of S-E.

Slime Mori Mori 3 FTW

I wonder if they'll ever make some DQ remakes for the DS.

Jonnyram said:
It's part of PSP's "rolling thunder" plan.

Is this a joke post or is there something I'm missing? DQ PSP am confirmed?!

Error2k4 said:

O rly?

What if * gasp * someone doesn't own all systems?

I only played dqviii and I enjoyed it...I dont think we will see dqix for a while...it will probably sell regardless of system...ps3 could be a possibility but down the road...with wii spin offs...I just think the ps3 or 360 would be more fun for an rpg developer to play with in terms of aesthetic design...of course the wii control would offer some nice stuff...but Im not convinced I need much motion control in an rpg...control has never been a problem

peace

ethelred said:

Yeah. Might be able to see a Chrono game next year revealed or something.

Pellham

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
Might be ports of the SNES ones to GBA a la FF.

I hope they port the SNES DQ3r, since its still to date the best DQ game/my favorite RPG of all time.

but not to GBA. Port it to DS or Wii!

TheKingsCrown said:
Well, don't you think after VIII that the DQ series is in need of a significant change?

No, and DQ VIII's sales would tend to indicate that the game-buying public at large doesn't think it does, either.

Johnas

For VIII, SE made some pretty significant changes compared to VII, and of course compared to the earlier titles. I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't reuse the same engine (or something extremely similar) for IX.

And please, let DQ be DQ. I'm fine with FF reinventing itself each new iteration, let it be the series for that kind of change, and let DQ maintain its tradition. That's one reason it always sells so massively in Japan.

We are thinking only on PS2, Wii and PS3, and perhaps Square-Enix will announce a Dragon Quest Game for Nintendo DS, that has a montser-userbase with a monster-grow.

Pellham said:
I hope they port the SNES DQ3r, since its still to date the best DQ game/my favorite RPG of all time.

but not to GBA. Port it to DS or Wii!
Yeah, I'm all for DS versions, but it's obviously much cheaper to port them to GBA and they still sell well, so I'd see that as more likely.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
We are thinking only on PS2, Wii and PS3, and perhaps Square-Enix will announce a Dragon Quest Game for Nintendo DS, that has a montser-userbase with a monster-grow.
Is this a translation? There's already another DQ game coming for DS, and DQ slime has already released.

duckroll said:
Maybe it's....
Dragon Quest VI PS2?
I'm not necessarily saying it's DQIX, but I don't think they'd have a whole big event advertised in the newspaper just to show off what you're suggesting.

duckroll

Kobun Heat said:
I'm not necessarily saying it's DQIX, but I don't think they'd have a whole big event advertised in the newspaper just to show off what you're suggesting.

Yes but it's more realistic than pretty much every other theory on this thread so far besides DQIX, don't you agree? :)

ethelred

duckroll said:
Yes but it's more realistic than pretty much every other theory on this thread so far besides DQIX, don't you agree? :)

Yes.

While I don't doubt that Square Enix has plenty more DQ DS games in planning or development (their FF release schedule establishes that), those would more likely than not just be revealed in Jump, not at a live event.

I'm still going to go with DQIX for PS2, myself.

lupin23rd

Matt. C said:
9. Sometime during the next month, I will be playing a Wii game from a major publisher that none of you have any idea exists.

Matt C. confirms DQ9 (or some other S-E game) for Wii? :lol

m

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dont think they will just yet announce another dq wii game.....i mean dqs still has none release date, why should theay already announce the next wii dq game ?

i think ist dq9 for ps2 or a dq remake for ps2/ds...

sry, no new wii game :)

Dascu said:
DS vs PSP 10:1 sales in Japan do not agree.

And you honestly think that a DQ game would not give the psp a significant boost as FFVII:CC will even if it is temporary?
There is something to be said for trying to farm a new market.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm gonna say DQIX for Wii. Just because.

If I'm right, I win something, and if it's on PS2 or PS3...well, that doesn't bother me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom