• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime crotch said:
whoa DQ IX on the DS?! So Squeenix just expects that Japanese buy all the consoles now? Since they're making games to all of them.
Nah, their big support is behind the big guys as usual (PS2 -> DS). PSP has some support just like GC did.

Wii-PS3 wise is still split, but I'm sure they will go where the money sounds louder.

Shouta said:
What advantage? Nintendo has owned the handheld market for the last 15+ years and no one has even come close to taking it away from them. Saying Sony had every advantage available to them isn't saying much when faced with those kinds of odds. :lol

Please, dont ignore all the talk on the whole internet, before the NDS made his "return" after the release of Nintendogs.
Everyone on here, except Nintendo-fans (and not even all of them) thought, PSP would easily dominate the hh-market.

Shouta

mrklaw said:
wow!

I don't understand the DS userbase thing. Surely PS2 has a higher installed base?

Is it just because DS has a likely higher 'active' userbase, with PS2 owners starting to transistion to other machines?

In which case DS makes sense now, just like PS3 (or perhaps Wii) will make sense in two years time for the next one.

although if this 'main numbered one' is being worked on by the same people that did VIII, they haven't really spent very long if its coming out in 6 months time.

It might be "userbase that's buying ridiculous amounts of shit" kind of thing. Handhelds and their games are selling like crazy in Japan. With a profit margin that's possibly really high, the decision to go handheld with a numbered one makes a lot of financial sense. The creative side on the other hand...

Krowley

mrklaw said:
wow!

I don't understand the DS userbase thing. Surely PS2 has a higher installed base?

Is it just because DS has a likely higher 'active' userbase, with PS2 owners starting to transistion to other machines?

In which case DS makes sense now, just like PS3 (or perhaps Wii) will make sense in two years time for the next one.

although if this 'main numbered one' is being worked on by the same people that did VIII, they haven't really spent very long if its coming out in 6 months time.

Yes, the ps2 userbase will be losing interest in the platform shortly... so if your game is not coming out in the next 6 months it's better to be on one of the new platforms. They are the future, not the ps2...

as for the time spent... obviously it's quicker to churn out DS games than churning out console games.

RaijinFY

Xzbeat said:
No. Every DQ always looked like shit compared to Final Fantasy graphically.

Final Fantasy IV (1991)
finalfantasyivjapairshixx1.png

Dragon Quest IV (1990)
dq41zw4.jpg

Isnt DQIV a NES game?

Shouta said:
Actually, this is a bit of a misconception. While DQ games have never been touted for their graphics, all of the installements up until 7 were incredibly good looking games for the time. It was DQ7 that really bred this whole "DQ isn't about graphics" nonsense. It's not about shiny 3D graphics but DQ has always had very nice graphics barring DQ7.
dragon-quest_01.png

Dq4-1.jpg

Sure looks like there was 4 years between those two games, huh.

ss-007.gif

Pushing the Super Famicom to its limit!

Edit: oh no, I was beaten! I don't see no DQ5 shots in here yet at least...

J-Rzez said:
Wow...

All those nasty things I've said about the Wii early, I take them back... I'd actually rather it on there at least since they put one of my fav series on the ****ing DS... I'm a huge DQ fan, and this is a major **** in the ass...

It's a dark day to be a console gamer... **** I own a DS and PSP, so I'm a portable gamer too and think this is still sad... Do the math, it's a sad day to be a gamer in general in my eyes...

You ****ers better not put KHIII/SO4 on that thing now too... I'll ****ing go over there and wipe SE off the map... It's disgusting the direction the road has taken... Can't wait for the other JP devs to jump aboard the **** gaming progression in the ass...

What's next? RE5 to be announced a change of plans, DS version it is... now you can drag red and green herbs together and mix them on the touch screen! Go **** yourselves...

porque.jpg

Shouta

MasterMFauli said:
Please, dont ignore all the talk on the whole internet, before the NDS made his "return" after the release of Nintendogs.
Everyone on here, except Nintendo-fans (and not even all of them) thought, PSP would easily dominate the hh-market.

Anyone that thought the PSP was gonna easily dominate the handheld market got a dingbat stamp from me (when I participated in those threads anyway).

Krowley said:
you have to realize.... this is all sony's fault.

If the ps3 was a real game machine and not a trojan horse to grab the next gen DVD market, they could have released it sooner and made a more mainstream console. Maybe if they had, you would be looking forward to a truly next gen DQ game.

Your only hope is that DQ10 ends up on a next gen machine and the wii looks more likley than the ps3 at this point which means that the visual upgrade will be pretty modest.

The point of this post? next gen sucks... nobody hit the sweet spot... microsoft came closest, but it will never sell in japan and it's unreliable to boot.

I've felt this way for a long time, but this is the first real evidence to support it. We are entering a new era of gaming and it's a battle between interface VS graphics. If interface wins, the graphics curve will get way less steep in future gens. If graphics win, you can look forward to consoles that cost as much as gaming pc's.

I'm rooting for interface simply because i'm not able to afford these expensive consoles.

Exactly. Like I said earlier in this thread, you can blame both Sony and MS for screwing the pooch on "next gen."

All they had to do was provide decently upgraded consoles for an affordable price. Both Sony and MS are driving casual gamers further and further away towards things like handhelds. There's a reason that console gaming always ruled the roost over PC gaming: price, and ease of use.

As a result, we are now going to see more and more trends like this. I personally, am happy for it, because my favorite era of gaming was the 16-Bit era. I'd rather see a return to the philosphies of that era, where yes, graphics mattered to a point, but gameplay mattered most, and was not subservient to the latest graphical trends and buzzwords.

Krowley

Rummy Bunnz said:
dragon-quest_01.png

Dq4-1.jpg

Sure looks like there was 4 years between those two games, huh.

ss-007.gif

Pushing the Super Famicom to its limit!

But this ignores the fact that dq8 is one of the best looking ps2 games and it is popular beyond the normal DQ base, partialy because of high production values.

I mean... that's just a great looking game. why should people NOT bitch when the next one is a downgrade?

DQ history is..... HISTORY... Dq8 is the current standard.

Shouta

Rummy Bunnz said:
Edit: oh no, I was beaten! I don't see no DQ5 shots in here yet at least...

I like how you used DQ5's map and not battle graphics. I also like how you didn't put DQ6 in. =P

Krowley said:
200 dollars for a psp when consoles where cheaper at the time was the REAL mistake.

This is the same mistake sony is making in the console arena. The psp and the ps3 are very similair in many ways. They represent a mindset that puts performance above mainstream appeal... or assumes that mainstream appeal is based on performance.

It's not. mainstream appeal is predicated on price and games. And if it's a playstation, it's primarily a game machine, no matter how much other cool stuff you put into it.

When you make a 250 hand held, you are throwing away one half of the pie. When you make a 600 dollar console, you are doing the exact same thing, only it's more like 2 thirds of the pie.

ken want to kill pc and apple. bad dreams affect gaming. ps3 os can grow 3 times of the size of the 360 at the same 512mb total. like duh. :}

too bad so sad psp ps3 lost mainstream gaming appeal of epic proportions in japan.

mrklaw said:

They can also sell multiple copies per household with a multiplayer DS version.

Surely Yuji Horii would have some say in the choice of the platform, no? If he thinks he can make a great Dragon Quest on the DS, isn't that all we should care about.

I mean, yeah, I'm disappointed that DQIX won't have the massive overworld of DQVIII, but that's not stopping me from being very intrigued by the possibilities on the DS. I've been wavering over getting a DS for months, and this annoucement just sealed my purchase of a DS Lite for my Xmas pressie.

Krowley

pol's voice said:
Exactly. Like I said earlier in this thread, you can blame both Sony and MS for screwing the pooch on "next gen."

All they had to do was provide decently upgraded consoles for an affordable price. Both Sony and MS are driving casual gamers further and further away towards things like handhelds. There's a reason that console gaming always ruled the roost over PC gaming: price, and ease of use.

As a result, we are now going to see more and more trends like this. I personally, am happy for it, because my favorite era of gaming was the 16-Bit era. I'd rather see a return to the philosphies of that era, where yes, graphics mattered to a point, but gameplay mattered most, and was not subservient to the latest graphical trends and buzzwords.

Yeah, i agree 100 percent. Nintendo could have actually capatalized on this Sony/MS miscalculation, but they didn't.... The odd thing is, it turned out that it doesn't really matter....

Sony has gone so far beyond what people expect from a game machine that nintendo is able to release a 1.5 upgrade and STILL have a chance at dominance, simply because of price and a new interface.

My big difference with you is... i'm not really happy about it. I would like to see what kind of system could have been built with the best graphics possible on a 300 dollar console.

Instead we have 2 four hundred dollar + consoles and one that is slightly overpriced with performance that barley exceeds last gen. I'm a huge nintendo fan, but i can't help but feel like they are simply capatilizing on sony/MS mistakes with the wii. I have to root for the wii from the angle of pure self interest, because i'm not in a position to pay that kind of green, but i can't help but hesitate.

Xzbeat

Shouta said:
Much better! However, DQVI's graphics aren't nearly as nice in screenshots as they are in actual motion. =/

That proves DQ was never about graphics while FF's always pushed the console running it to its limits.

Ravidrath said:
New MMO is for PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows Vista.

nope

COMMENT ON RECENT MEDIA REPORT

Tokyo, Japan (July 18, 2006) - Square Enix Co., Ltd (“the Company”). wishes to comment on a specific media report, dated July 14, stating that the Company is developing a sequel to its online game title, FINAL FANTASY® XI, and plans to release the title on three platforms - the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., the Xbox 360TM video game and entertainment system, and Windows Vista TM the next-generation PC operating system from Microsoft Corporation.

The Company did not make such an announcement and has not made any decisions resembling those detailed in the media report.

As the Company announced in May 2005, it is currently developing an online title for next-generation platforms including game consoles and PCs (ps3 and Vista)-->http://ps3.ign.com/articles/702/702289p1.html however, this title is being developed as a completely new MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online RPG). We will disclose further details of this title, including platform compatibility, immediately after any relevant decisions are made.

In addition, the Company continuously plans to release expansion packs for FINAL FANTASY XI, available on PlayStation®2, Xbox 360, and Windows®, as well as perform version updates.

Shouta said:
Better hardware, definitely. Mindshare and support? I don't know.

Recheck earlier NeoGAF threads. And there was a rather recent thread about 2 weeks or so earlier that showed 3rd party support for the two handhelds in the year 2007.

No, I'm not simply referring to the Gameboy brand name but Nintendo's dominance as a whole. I think you're giving consumers too little credit. I think most realize that Nintendo is the one to go to for handhelds and that's because of a 15+ year dominance in the market. Fifteen years in the market really builds up a reputation and mindshare with consumers and that's not something that's easily swayed most of the time. It's generally rare to see a new brand jump into the market and take over a dominate and healthy one and when it does occur, something really monumental occurred to go alongside it.

Nice theory, except the sales don't support this. Until Nintendogs showed up, the DS was being outsold by the PSP in all three major territories. (Bar launch in Japan, due to PSP undershipping.)

IPs help but again, I think Nintendo and handheld being equated together was the primary driving factor. If Brain Training and Nintendogs had appeared first on the PSP, do you think it would've done as well? I personally don't think so.

I agree too, but for a totally different reason. Both of these games benefitted greatly from the touchscreen of the DS (and in BT's case, the mic), since it allowed for the interface to become a lot more intuitive and all those other buzzwords.

Shouta

Xzbeat said:
That proves DQ was never about graphics while FF's always pushed the console running it to its limits.

Zuh? Did you even read the post you responded to originally?

I said DQ games have never been touted for their graphics (which is true) but they've always looked fantastic for the time though.

Ads too? How can be a megaton like this didn't get leaked? Seriously. Nice doing by SE though, we just heard about a presentation and nothing else...

Can't wait for the ad video...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shouta said:
It might be "userbase that's buying ridiculous amounts of shit" kind of thing. Handhelds and their games are selling like crazy in Japan. With a profit margin that's possibly really high, the decision to go handheld with a numbered one makes a lot of financial sense. The creative side on the other hand...

in which case why the alarm? PS3 doesn't have the userbase yet for a numbered release. I'm sure it still factors heavily in S-E plans for the future.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I like how ******* put it :lol

The strange and somewhat pathetic sobbing you hear in the background originates from the offices of Microsoft and Sony, where once diligent executives have now completely broken down and given up on much of their lives. Square Enix just handed Nintendo the keys to the Death Star.

Edit: wtf since when is ******* filtered

Buggy Loop

The_Endless said:
Surely Yuji Horii would have some say in the choice of the platform, no? If he thinks he can make a great Dragon Quest on the DS, isn't that all we should care about.

I mean, yeah, I'm disappointed that DQIX won't have the massive overworld of DQVIII, but that's not stopping me from being very intrigued by the possibilities on the DS. I've been wavering over getting a DS for months, and this annoucement just sealed my purchase of a DS Lite for my Xmas pressie.

Massive overworld.. I dont think that would be the problem with DS version, just forget about voice acting and perhaps even orchestrated music (though DQ8 in japan didnt have the orchestrated version anyway).

Krowley said:
Yeah, i agree 100 percent. Nintendo could have actually capatalized on this Sony/MS miscalculation, but they didn't.... The odd thing is, it turned out that it doesn't really matter....

Sony has gone so far beyond what people expect from a game machine that nintendo is able to release a 1.5 upgrade and STILL have a chance at dominance, simply because of price and a new interface.

My big difference with you is... i'm not really happy about it. I would like to see what kind of system could have been built with the best graphics possible on a 300 dollar console.

Instead we have 2 four hundred dollar + consoles and one that is slightly overpriced with performance that barley exceeds last gen. I'm a huge nintendo fan, but i can't help but feel like they are simply capatilizing on sony/MS mistakes with the wii. I have to root for the wii from the angle of pure self interest, because i'm not in a position to pay that kind of green, but i can't help but hesitate.

Well, see, I was more referring to the DS than the Wii in regards to my happiness.

I like the Wii so far, but it could easily go either way right now. The DS has been gold though, which is why I am giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. The possibilities of the Wii are intriguing, to say the least. I also think, graphically, that it will end up being capable of much more than we expect as well.

I also agree that the Wii is a bit overpriced. However, froma business standpoint, their competitors are making so many lousy mistakes, that Nintendo may as well cut every bush and bomb every rock possible to get 'dem rupees.

Shouta said:
I like how you used DQ5's map and not battle graphics. I also like how you didn't put DQ6 in. =P
What, is that map shot not incredibly good looking enough? Well, here you go!

200px-Dragon_Quest_V_SNES.gif

Yeah, that makes up for a map that looks like an NES game with a few more colors.

And I didn't put DQ6 in because it's really the the only game other than 8 that wasn't kinda sorta mostly ugly. Do you honestly believe IV was an incredibly good looking game for 1990? It's barely improved over I.

NeonZ

Actually, this is a bit of a misconception. While DQ games have never been touted for their graphics, all of the installements up until 7 were incredibly good looking games for the time.

Eh... not really. The NES ones had decent graphics for their time, 5 and 7 had bad graphics, 6 and 8 were good looking (though 6 still wasn't close to SNES's best outside of battles).

Its awesome to see what they can do with the DS. :) Those graphics are sweet, shows what can be done with the little guy when people put effort in!

<3 Nintendo + SE.

Shouta

Pureauthor said:
Recheck earlier NeoGAF threads. And there was a rather recent thread about 2 weeks or so earlier that showed 3rd party support for the two handhelds in the year 2007.

Maybe when I'm not tired heh.

Pureauthor said:
Nice theory, except the sales don't support this. Until Nintendogs showed up, the DS was being outsold by the PSP in all three major territories. (Bar launch in Japan, due to PSP undershipping.)

And that could be attributed to slow build up.

My main point is that history has a lot to do with how the handheld market turned out. There are other factors to it of course but simply looking at it as a self-contained instance totally misses the big picture. Yeah, Sony had a good start with it but that's only a small part of it.

Pureauthor said:
I agree too, but for a totally different reason. Both of these games benefitted greatly from the touchscreen of the DS (and in BT's case, the mic), since it allowed for the interface to become a lot more intuitive and all those other buzzwords.

Well, I can agree with that in a way but I still think that even if the PSP had both games fully intact (going imaginary here), I don't think it would've done nearly as well either.

Sharky

Banned
:lol @ GAF. 58 pages because they think this is good DS news. Fifty. Eight. Pages. What a joke this forum is.

Meaningless. DS already pounds the PSP in Japan, so who cares? Wont be long and the DS will hit saturation point in Japan and it's sales will begin slowing, then what? DS2 that is still weaker than PSP? I guess so. Sony wins with 10 year PSP lifecycle.

Probably as soon as Sony drops the PSP to $149 it'll start beating the DS in America.

Buggy Loop said:
Massive overworld.. I dont think that would be the problem with DS version, just forget about voice acting and perhaps even orchestrated music (though DQ8 in japan didnt have the orchestrated version anyway).

When I said massive overworld, I meant the sense of scale that DQVIII had. Running through the forest near Tryan Gully on a sabrecat before bursting into the clearing where the cliffs/rope bridges are was bloody awesome. Doubt we'd get that sort of scale in DQIX cos (from the screenshots) the characters are about the same height as the trees and as tall as the cliffs.

Shame about the voice acting and orchestrated music too. But hey, I'm not gonna whine and moan. DQIX in 2007! How awesome is that?

Shouta

Rummy Bunnz said:
What, is that map shot not incredibly good looking enough? Well, here you go!

Yeah, that makes up for a map that looks like an NES game with a few more colors.

And I didn't put DQ6 in because it's really the the only game other than 8 that wasn't kinda sorta mostly ugly. Do you honestly believe IV was an incredibly good looking game for 1990? It's barely improved over I.

Considering the hardware and the time? Yeah. I think the same for all the DQs sans DQ7.

And jeez, is that really DQ5? I don't recall the battles looking like that.

Krowley

Sharky said:
:lol @ GAF. 58 pages because they think this is good DS news. Fifty. Eight. Pages. What a joke this forum is.

Meaningless. DS already pounds the PSP in Japan, so who cares? Wont be long and the DS will hit saturation point in Japan and it's sales will begin slowing, then what? DS2 that is still weaker than PSP? I guess so. Sony wins with 10 year PSP lifecycle.

Probably as soon as Sony drops the PSP to $149 it'll start beating the DS in America.

:lol :lol :lol

hopefully this is sarcasm because any realistic person realizes that the psp is going to play second fiddle to the DS forever.

the only question is whether or not any of the next gen consoles will end up being more important than the DS. that's a serious question at this point.

Shouta said:
And that could be attributed to slow build up.

My main point is that history has a lot to do with how the handheld market turned out. There are other factors to it of course but simply looking at it as a self-contained instance totally misses the big picture. Yeah, Sony had a good start with it but that's only a small part of it.

Yes, I agree with you in this factor. It's just that I feel it's unfair to take away from the DS victory - a large part of it was on it's own steam, and it doesn't seem entirely fair for it to be dismissed as 'oh, Nintendo handheld LOLZ'. It's kind of irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom