• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition: Gameplay series Part 1- The Hinterlands

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Besides the shit ending and awful sidequests, everything else in ME3 was excellent to me, it was by no means a bad game.

I even liked the ending and only remembered the poor sidequests when someone called me out on liking the side content. I only remembered stuff like the missions with Jack and Grunt showing up, which felt like full fledged story missions even though they were optional. Those were great.

My one major complaint with ME3 was how few dialogue options there were. Conversations felt more like watching cutscenes than being an active participant.

I'm playing DA2 now and I'm enjoying it. It's a huge step down from Origins for sure and clearly rushed but going in with managed expectations has helped a lot. DAI seems like it was designed and delayed specifically to respond to criticisms of DA2 and ME3 so I have high hopes.

I felt really sorry for that dragon =(

Definitely picking this up, but man, I'm going to try and protect dragons. They're an endangered species! And listen to him! He's crying when his legs get taken out!

:'(

I even liked the ending and only remembered the poor sidequests when someone called me out on liking the side content. I only remembered stuff like the missions with Jack and Grunt showing up, which felt like full fledged story missions even though they were optional. Those were great.

My one major complaint with ME3 was how few dialogue options there were. Conversations felt more like watching cutscenes than being an active participant.

I'm playing DA2 now and I'm enjoying it. It's a huge step down from Origins for sure and clearly rushed but going in with managed expectations has helped a lot. DAI seems like it was designed and delayed specifically to respond to criticisms of DA2 and ME3 so I have high hopes.
Oh by sidequests I meant the ones that pop up in your journal by listening to random conversations in the Citadel. All the fetch quests basically, scanning a planning for an artifact and bringing it back to the NPC. They felt like bad filler. The character sidequests were fantastic :)

Agreed on all your other points though.

Grisby

Definitely picking this up, but man, I'm going to try and protect dragons. They're an endangered species! And listen to him! He's crying when his legs get taken out!

Somehow I'm going to invade your game and slay your dragons.

Fireballs and swords, just rollin' with it.

Ralemont

not me

Any species that attacks me on sight becomes endangered!

Hmm. This may be my first PS4 game. Will probably wait for some impressions after release, but this video looks good. Would be better if the guy wasn't talking, or at least wasn't spouting crazy things like "the most dynamic RPG you will ever play."

Macmanus

Let see, what part for the well produced game did the ps3 version fall under? what about the fact that you needed mods to fix basic stuff on the PC version? So my fellow gaffer, what does well received mean for an obviously broken game?

all skyrim manage to show is that reviewers are either extremely incompetent or they get paid by bethshit to ignore major problems. It's funny if those problems were from any other company players like yourself would complain so loud even the gods would hear.

Hi Derrek!

Is it bad that I liked the ending I got? I liked ME 3 more than I thought I would.

I really enjoyed ME3 as well, though I had the bar set rather after having a year of people on the internet whining that the ending was literally Hitler.

Hi Derrek!

I really enjoyed ME3 as well, though I had the bar set rather after having a year of people on the internet whining that the ending was literally Hitler.

That's actually the best way to go into DA2 I think. Now that the game has been around for a few years and people have dog-piled it, go in knowing it won't be as good as DA:O. Go in knowing there will be some things that will be patently obvious that the game was rushed out the door.

You will end up enjoying the game for what it does well than getting hung up on "THIS ISNT DA:O!!!!"

Fbh

Besides the shit ending and awful sidequests, everything else in ME3 was excellent to me, it was by no means a bad game.

Agreed.

The 2 things I hated about the game were the ending and the fact that one of the most ineresting crew memebers was locked behind a day 1 paywall (it's still one of the worst cases of DLC done wrong, IMO).

But other than that I found the game to be a ton of fun. With some great missions and nice locations.

Even the multiplayer, which I asumed would be terrible and only there for the "sake of having multiplayer", turned out to be really enjoyable

Macmanus

That's actually the best way to go into DA2 I think. Now that the game has been around for a few years and people have dog-piled it, go in knowing it won't be as good as DA:O. Go in knowing there will be some things that will be patently obvious that the game was rushed out the door.

You will end up enjoying the game for what it does well than getting hung up on "THIS ISNT DA:O!!!!"

Totally. I fired up DA2 shortly after launch and couldn't get past an hour it once I realized scrolling my mouse wheel wont switch to tactical. After the mourning period was over went into it with tempered expectations and enjoyed it well enough.

Leatherface

I just wanted to jump in here to say ME3 may have had some flaws but it was still, overall, a fantastic game. Stop hatin'.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand... that was DEF a dud. So, if we're looking at the Bioware track record here, one true dud out of all their games isn't that bad. Chances are good DA3 will be a quality game. personally I can't wait. :)

Respect

Definitely day one, but cautiously optimistic after DA 2...please Bioware, don't let me down...

cat-begging.jpg

mp1990

Banned
Just explaining because your first line said you didn't understand :p

My opinion is as yours. The studio can put out a good game if left to their own devices without too much EA interferance. That's what I'm hoping for here. I hope I don't get burned. Otherwise, DA:O was phenomenal and I still enjoyed DA2. The game was incredibly flawed and was absolutely rushed out the door but it had plenty of redeeming qualities.

yeah,i liked DA2 when i played it because i didn't gave a fuck about the history and skipped all cutscenes and dialogs,only playing for the combat,don't ask me why.But now i can see the grave problems people had and why they did got burned.I like a lot Bioware,and i want the they redeem themselves with this game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Think of the mayham.

MAYYYYYHAM

Yeah after that line I'm totally on board for this one, looks awesome.

Moff

not nearly enough tactical view in that video. I really hope a character in tactical view is not less effectice than directly controlled.

and the UI looks very boring and honestly a bit out of place.

apart from that, I think this game definitely has the potential for the best party combat in an RPG ever, I'm enjoying original sins combat a lot at the moment, but in my heart I am a RTwP man and origins combat was already spectacular.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I asked pages ago, no one's telling

Not likely, I downloaded the youtube version but it's just as horribly compressed as it is when streaming. Seeing as the only video we've gotten a direct feed from was the one Lead Them or Fall and not the other couple trailers I doubt we'll see a direct feed of this any time soon.

Huntared

Neo Member
I recommend you not to preorder. Wait scores and see it is like origins or da2. Then you decide. Or you might be dissatisfied.

Remember 'eaware' and be aware. You don't want to lose your money to a insatiable company.

Ashodin

I recommend you not to preorder. Wait scores and see it is like origins or da2. Then you decide. Or you might be dissatisfied.

Remember 'eaware' and be open-eyed. You don't want to lose your money to insatiable company.

this kind of preorder paranoia is not recommended.

Hedge

This looks sooo promising, but.. I'm so afraid of getting burned on high expectations.

If I can romance Iron Bull, though, I'll totally get it. :x

I recommend you not to preorder. Wait scores and see it is like origins or da2. Then you decide. Or you might be dissatisfied..

Dragon Age has a metacritic of 91, while DA 2 has a metacritic of 83. Both are majority positive, DA2 has a bit of so-so scores, nothing blasting the game. Compare the user score of 4.3 Normally I'm not a "b-b-b-but, Metacritic!" guy, but that means something.

I thought DA2 was a game with real heart, but it ain't within a point of Origins, not on its best day sir. Reviews are not very trustworthy.

Ridesh

Banned
Dragon Age has a metacritic of 91, while DA 2 has a metacritic of 83. Both are majority positive, DA2 has a bit of so-so scores, nothing blasting the game. Compare the user score of 4.3 Normally I'm not a "b-b-b-but, Metacritic!" guy, but that means something.

I thought DA2 was a game with real heart, but it ain't within a point of Origins, not on its best day sir. Reviews are not very trustworthy.

It actually has a 79: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii
(version with more reviews)

Also, user reviews mean shit. I assure you that some boards out there already decided to bomb Inquisition with bad scores on day 1.

I'm about another 20m from 100%-ing Kingdoms of Amalur, so I'll be ready for another big RPG by the time October rolls around. DA:I will fill that role nicely and I love the way this is shaping up. Looking forward to more preview vids and gameplay impressions.

It actually has a 79: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii
(version with more reviews)

Also, user reviews mean shit. I assure you that some boards out there already decided to bomb Inquisition with 1.

Pardon, I checked the PC version.

For anyone curious:

DAO/DA2
PC: 91/82
Xbox: 86/79
Ps3: 87/82

On the issue of user scores, sure there are tons of 0's, 1's and 2's the game clearly does not deserve, as it is entirely functional in what it does. However, I feel it is pretty clear that the majority of people who went into DA2 came out of it feeling quite sour, and the view of the game by RPG fans is overall negative, whereas DAO was overall positive. Reviews for the titles however were pretty much the same "This is good, but not quite as good as Origins". A real difference in reception that is noteworthy.

Huntared

Neo Member

I agree with you scores or reviews are not very trustworthy. As you show, da: origins score is over 90 while da:2 almost 80 (which means da:2 is not shitty rpg as we mentioned). But imho, da:2 has no soul of the first game of the franchise. Hence I prefer to look that scores for lining and scaling. For instance, witcher 2 is 88, if da: inquisition hit over 88 or even equal of it, I can at least try the game somehow. Scores to me just got putting in order.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
yeah I know it is probably wishful thinking but the whole team combat programming mode was so cool and really made combat super interesting to micro-manage the tactics.

I want this all to return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM4cFwGQBno

but fear that because it detracts from the "ease of accessibility" they would never allow it.

Tactics is definitely back. It's clearly present in the Character Record screen, though I only just noticed it 2 minutes agoo, ie the abilities screen in the demo vid at 9:22. You can see at the top the three menus are Abiliites - Attributes - Tactics. Now how it will be handled remains to be seen, but it would be incredibly bizarre for them to make it any less powerful than it was in DAO or DA2 since everything we've seen so far has been about making things better, not scaling them back.

I've gotta confess, I was watching the video and when the dragon is on the ground and cannot even defend himself I was like Oh man poor little guy let him be :c

Then he stood up and fly and tried to kill everyone again. Yeah, no, dragons are to be killed :p

Renekton

On the issue of user scores, sure there are tons of 0's, 1's and 2's the game clearly does not deserve, as it is entirely functional in what it does. However, I feel it is pretty clear that the majority of people who went into DA2 came out of it feeling quite sour, and the view of the game by RPG fans is overall negative, whereas DAO was overall positive. Reviews for the titles however were pretty much the same "This is good, but not quite as good as Origins". A real difference in reception that is noteworthy.
User reviews are not very indicative either, since they are not checked for objectivity. Fans mouth-frothingly gave DmC bad score overall, citing issues like hair and many obviously not played it. To make any sense of user reviews, you have to take into account their aggregate agendas and expectations/relationships stemming from the game's legacy.

TLDR: fans may not have rated the game based on its standalone merits/faults.

For perspective, DA2 has a similar Metacritic to FFXIII (83) and RE5 (84), also disappointing successors to illustrious forebears that have slowly come to be considered Bad Games. FFXII got a 92 and RE4 a 96.

I think when it comes to sequels it's not the absolute score that matters so much as the differential between the new game and the one that came before. When you see a 10 point drop in Metacritic score from one installment in the series to the next you know something's up.

DAO to DA2 tracks pretty closely to EA's other major botched attempt at mainstreaming, Dead Space 2 (90) to Dead Space 3 (78).

Basically I think disappointing sequels are held to lower standards than games that are just bad on their own merits. There's a certain degree of wishful thinking that can take a little bit to wear off when you have fond memories of the previous game, and since reviewers typically don't get that long to spend with a game before they're expected to deliver their score I think they tend to deliver absolute scores that are higher than they really should be (with the exception of a few high integrity publications like Edge).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm playing DA2 right now and, while I'm enjoying it, I fully understand the hate. It feels more like a spin off side story than a sequel and it's pretty unpolished. It's not a bad game but it is a poor RPG.

I'm playing DA2 right now and, while I'm enjoying it, I fully understand the hate. It feels more like a spin off side story than a sequel and it's pretty unpolished. It's not a bad game but it is a poor RPG.

This exactly. It definitely is an Intermission Story.

Top Bottom