• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Inquisition: Gameplay series Part 1- The Hinterlands

DOWN

Banned
So did ubisoft with Watchdogs.

Not interested in what the game looks like on dual titans...

Eh, Watch Dogs graphics changed in the 2 years before release, yeah. This game is about 3 months out. That's maybe 2 months of polish and DLC work left before it goes gold.

There's something at the 01.00 mark that I didn't hear about before.

The Inquisitor initiates a conversation with a quest giver but it doesn't go into a cut scene. Instead the NPC just animates and talks while the player still has camera control, at least until the dialogue choice kicks in (then there's a slight zoom).

More like Skyrim, less like typical Bioware (unless you count the idiotic 'eavesdrop on questgivers' from ME3.)

Sevenfold

As someone who loved DA:O and feelt robbed of a game by 2. I've avoided Inquisition due to stupid gamer principles. Anyway I caved and watched the Hinterlands vid. Cautiously optimistic about the game but the video was awesome.

Minus the PR talk at the start and the wonderful buzzwords they like to spew, it does seem like a fairly good game that does away with a lot of the previous games' flaws and a greater scale to the game and action.

Seems like a fairly sure bet that I will eventually play this game, but that will depend on how EA decides to market it and how they distribute DLC. If they start slicing content away, putting pay-walls or shoving Origin down my throat as usual, I will either wait for it to be dirt-cheap on consoles, or just not play it altogether. If they want to sell a game to me as a service, making me jump through hoops is a disservice and they don't deserve my money.

Spinluck

The art has definitely received a bump, still on the generic side, but much more pleasing to look at.

Just started the first Dragon Age to try and get into the series, holy dragon dick is that game ugly as fuck. Still playing through it bit by bit.

Quick question, will the previous games link up with this at all? He mentioned something about it in the video, but I'm not sure to what extent it will matter. Seeing no load screen through that entire presentation was great. Next gen Mass Effect will be fucking great (another series I haven't finished yet lol).

Quick question, will the previous games link up with this at all?

It's a continuation of the Dragon Age storyline with a new main character and some recurring side characters. There's a web app in closed beta called 'Dragon Age Keep' that lets you tinker with the world's previous history and the choices made in preceding games even if you never played them.

Inquisiton will grab this info from the Keep servers and do some slight branching based on those settings.

milena87

Quick question, will the previous games link up with this at all? He mentioned something about it in the video, but I'm not sure to what extent it will matter. Seeing no load screen through that entire presentation was great. Next gen Mass Effect will be fucking great (another series I haven't finished yet lol).

Yes and no: there are recurring characters and themes. Maybe some cameos from other minor characters.
However, big choices from DAO probably won't have any effect on DAI, same as it was for DA2. Maybe a passing reference here and there.

This save import feature (or the inability to plan ahead of time, in case of the ME team) has done more harm than good so far, but Bioware apparently won't drop it. I'm really curious to see what they'll do in DAI regarding choices and consequences.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yes and no: there are recurring characters and themes. Maybe some cameos from other minor characters.
However, big choices from DAO probably won't have any effect on DAI, same as it was for DA2. Maybe a passing reference here and there.

This save import feature (or the inability to plan ahead of time, in case of the ME team) has done more harm than good so far, but Bioware apparently won't drop it. I'm really curious to see what they'll do in DAI regarding choices and consequences.

I think it's a bit much to say it's done more harm than good and especially to say it should be dropped. The DA Keep sounds like a great start to at least fixing the whole importing problem and all the technical issues that come up when importing saves and all that.

The core of it is that they really need to change what kind of choices they they allow players to make and the scale and impact of them both in the short and long term, focusing more on short term stuff with local impact and then fewer long term choices that can be properly accounted for in future titles.

DA and ME are different beasts. ME was the first of its kind really and was 3 games directly following the same protagonist throughout, with one very specific goal. DA franchise is a lot different, it's more about the setting than one character or one central conflict that is being built up to. DA2 had little reason to really address a lot of the choices from DAO, it wasn't a direct continuation of DAO, it was in a different part of the world and different time. DAI will have a lot more cause to address things from both games for a number of reasons. So that will be the real test of BioWare's ability, or inability, to properly handle this kind of persistent world across games.

*People who try to belittle obviously well-produced and well-received major games and don't realize doing so just lowers their credibility*

Let see, what part for the well produced game did the ps3 version fall under? what about the fact that you needed mods to fix basic stuff on the PC version? So my fellow gaffer, what does well received mean for an obviously broken game?

all skyrim manage to show is that reviewers are either extremely incompetent or they get paid by bethshit to ignore major problems. It's funny if those problems were from any other company players like yourself would complain so loud even the gods would hear.

milena87

I think it's a bit much to say it's done more harm than good and especially to say it should be dropped. The DA Keep sounds like a great start to at least fixing the whole importing problem and all the technical issues that come up when importing saves and all that.

The core of it is that they really need to change what kind of choices they they allow players to make and the scale and impact of them both in the short and long term, focusing more on short term stuff with local impact and then fewer long term choices that can be properly accounted for in future titles.

DA and ME are different beasts. ME was the first of its kind really and was 3 games directly following the same protagonist throughout, with one very specific goal. DA franchise is a lot different, it's more about the setting than one character or one central conflict that is being built up to. DA2 had little reason to really address a lot of the choices from DAO, it wasn't a direct continuation of DAO, it was in a different part of the world and different time. DAI will have a lot more cause to address things from both games for a number of reasons. So that will be the real test of BioWare's ability, or inability, to properly handle this kind of persistent world across games.

I actually agree with what you say, especially the bolded part. I'm still interested in seeing what the DA team can do with the save import system, but from what I've seen so far from DA2, ME2 and ME3, I'm pretty disappointed.

But why would I like to see it scrapped? It's just because, if the DA team decides to set a canon from game to game, they can further explore the implications and consequences of some choices. Without setting a canon, they'll probably keep avoiding any true consequences or creating the same outcome for wildly different choices.
Somehow, I don't believe that they'll ever fully commit to the system, as it needs too much resources and careful planning. Because the save import feature sounds awesome in theory, but in reality it has never been implemented well.

Renekton

but from what I've seen so far from DA2, ME2 and ME3, I'm pretty disappointed.
There are some bright moments. Wrex Genophage arc was fairly well-done across 3 games and satisfying in its conclusion. They also did Alistair's fate pretty well in DA2.

all skyrim manage to show is that reviewers are either extremely incompetent or they get paid by bethshit to ignore major problems. It's funny if those problems were from any other company players like yourself would complain so loud even the gods would hear.
You are trying to create some alternate reality history where Skyrim is a horrible game only fixed by mods, reviewers are bad/corrupt and reader's choice awards are fake or misguided.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's something at the 01.00 mark that I didn't hear about before.

The Inquisitor initiates a conversation with a quest giver but it doesn't go into a cut scene. Instead the NPC just animates and talks while the player still has camera control, at least until the dialogue choice kicks in (then there's a slight zoom).

More like Skyrim, less like typical Bioware (unless you count the idiotic 'eavesdrop on questgivers' from ME3.)

Yes, you can also leave a lot of those conversations at will with the leave conversation button or I think they also basically let you walk away if you want.

milena87

There are some bright moments. Wrex Genophage arc was fairly well-done across 3 games and satisfying in its conclusion. They also did Alistair's fate pretty well in DA2.

I agree that the Genophage arc was one of the good moments of ME3, but I don't think that it's an example for a well implemented save import feature. In ME3 we are presented with the same choice, no matter what we did in ME1&2. Yes, if we did certain things it was easier to achieve a certain outcome, but it wasn't necessary.
And regarding ME3 more in general, I found it very odd to see our minor choices getting consequences and resolutions, while big things like the Rachni Queen had the same outcome.

And Alistair's fate in DA2 was, in my opinion, an unnecessary cameo. Yes, it reflected the choice that we made in DAO, but it was pointless to the game's story and it just felt like fan-service cameo :p

Ridesh

Banned
Based on the Q&A, there will be no DLC at launch, of any type, only the Flame of the Inquisition Pack (pre-order) and the items that come with the Deluxe Edition.

About the combat, I would like to see some more elaborated encounters with higher difficulty, this demo is clearly in easy.

The best combat video they have shown still is this PAX demo:
http://youtu.be/80frogBXfNY?t=20m6s

Ralemont

not me
I don't like the sound of that at all. That sounds worryingly close to Mass Effect 3, where Shepard turned into an actual character that you got to make decisions for every now and then, rather than a blank slate through which you interacted with the world.

There is a "reaction" wheel separate from the "decision" wheel where your character can portray an emotion in reaction to something as role-play. Stoic will be an option for every reaction wheel, so you can essentially opt out of the reaction altogether. For the decision wheel, what your character says when making a decision sounds a lot more neutral and reserved.

Sounds like the opposite of ME3, wherein I think most people's issue was auto-emotion.

Wag

Should I pre-order the PC Deluxe version on Origin Mexico? I'm nervous it will be a steaming pile of hot mess like Watch Dogs...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There is a "reaction" wheel separate from the "decision" wheel where your character can portray an emotion in reaction to something as role-play. Stoic will be an option for every reaction wheel, so you can essentially opt out of the reaction altogether. For the decision wheel, what your character says when making a decision sounds a lot more neutral and reserved.

Sounds like the opposite of ME3, wherein I think most people's issue was auto-emotion.

Yeah, I took it that they are removing the blatant attitude from the dialog options and making them more situational. So you won't be stuck with Nice/Neutral/Mean or Conciliatory/Sarcastic/Angry response with every conversation, your responses will have less attitude in them, one way or the other, and then in specific instances the more attitude charged responses like sad, angry or stoic will popup when necessary. This way you don't have to always be a sarcastic ass or angry psycho every time you open your mouth. You can just talk to people normally and when appropriate display the emotion or attitude that you want.

Spinluck

It's a continuation of the Dragon Age storyline with a new main character and some recurring side characters. There's a web app in closed beta called 'Dragon Age Keep' that lets you tinker with the world's previous history and the choices made in preceding games even if you never played them.

Inquisiton will grab this info from the Keep servers and do some slight branching based on those settings.

Alright, thanks guys.

Kinthalis

Banned
Should I pre-order the PC Deluxe version on Origin Mexico? I'm nervous it will be a steaming pile of hot mess like Watch Dogs...

Why would it be? What does Ubisoft's Watchdogs have to do With Bioware/EA's Dragon Age series?

Am I missing something here?

-Setsuna-

Well, that was jaw-droppingly gorgeous (apart from a few subpar animations).
I'm pretty sure that my PC won't be able to run it properly, though.

You are trying to create some alternate reality history where Skyrim is a horrible game only fixed by mods, reviewers are bad/corrupt and reader's choice awards are fake or misguided.
Fine let's ignore the mod part, since you seem to want pretend that isn't true.

What about the broken ps3 version?No reviewer doing their review ever talked about it, it is almost like they did not actually review it.

Reader choice means as much as CoD being the best shooter because it is popular. The ones who probably voted for skyrim are the PC players since they were enough players on it to win any reader choice.

If your whole is based on subjective crap like awards and not on actual facts like the broken ps3 version, the terrible combat, dungeons, the fact that the PC version for a long time depended on mods to fix some of the shit, then you must live under a rock.

Anyways I am out, I am smart enough to know when I am talking to a wall in denial.

Grewitch

That looks really nice, I'm almost tempted to get it day one. I'll check out a few more previews first. I like what I'm hearing about customization though, that sounds cool.

mp1990

Banned
I don't know why people just started hating Bioware.I didn't liked DA2 and ME3 ending,but that's doesn't mean that they don't know how to make great games like DA:O and ME2;and ME3,even with the shit ending,was a great game,one of the best of 2012.

Kinthalis

Banned
Well, Watchdogs taught us that no matter how good a game can look pre-release, it could very well be all bollocks

Nah, this is a well known engine, one that by now is pretty well optimized for PC at least, and likely for consoles as well.

I didn't see anything on display that made me think we have a downgrade situaiton on our hands. Bioware woudl have to seriously drop the ball on this one ot have that happen.

I don't know why people just started hating Bioware.I didn't liked DA2 and ME3 ending ,but that's doesn't mean that they don't know how to make great games like DA:O and ME2;and ME3,even with the shit ending,was a great game,one of the best of 2012.

You more or less answered your own question there. DA2 was not the return to form of Bioware RPGs that CRPG fans wanted that DA:O had previously provided. They felt somewhat bait and switched and are still bitter.

Mass Effect fans are bitter over the ending still and skepticism has kept people wary, especially with other EA games (Battlefield 4, Sim City, The Sims 4) having either extremely rocky launches or questionable decisions being made about their games.

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't know why people just started hating Bioware.I didn't liked DA2 and ME3 ending,but that's doesn't mean that they don't know how to make great games like DA:O and ME2;and ME3,even with the shit ending,was a great game,one of the best of 2012.

The issue isn't that they can't make good games... it's that who the fuck knows if their next game will be good or bad.

They have become rather inconsistent lately. It doesn't help that EA has taken to renaming every studio under the sun Bioware.

But it is a very recent thing. And because the issues are fairly recent, they still sting. Specifically with DA:O you had a triumphant return to the CRPG's of old. Then DA:2 happenned and that burned a LOT of people. Before EA there was (in terms of RPG's):

Baldur's Gate: Amazing
Baldur's Gate 2: The epitome of western RPG goodness.
Neverwinter Nights: PRetty revolutionary in terms of user created content and a great RPG on its own right.
Knight of the Old Republic: Another Amazing hit.
Jade Empire: I hated this title, but I hear it's not looked on too badly from the community. Still that game wasn't anywhere in the league of most of the others.
ME1: Amazing Again.
ME2: Holy Cow, yet another amazing game.
DA:O Bioware you are god!!
DA:2 What you be smoking?
ME3: Oh my god no, don't do this.

So I still have faith, despite my misgivings about combat in DA:I.

mp1990

Banned
You more or less answered your own question there. DA2 was not the return to form of Bioware RPGs that CRPG fans wanted that DA:O had previously provided. They felt somewhat bait and switched and are still bitter.

Mass Effect fans are bitter over the ending still and skepticism has kept people wary, especially with other EA games (Battlefield 4, Sim City, The Sims 4) having either extremely rocky launches or questionable decisions being made about their games.

true,but i still see potential in the studio,even with the turd it was DA2.But i don't see they launching DA:I just for get money as fast as possible,they're really working on it.

true,but i still see potential in the studio,even with the turd it was DA2.But i don't see they launching DA:I just for get money as fast as possible,they're really working on it.

Just explaining because your first line said you didn't understand :p

My opinion is as yours. The studio can put out a good game if left to their own devices without too much EA interferance. That's what I'm hoping for here. I hope I don't get burned. Otherwise, DA:O was phenomenal and I still enjoyed DA2. The game was incredibly flawed and was absolutely rushed out the door but it had plenty of redeeming qualities.

Ralemont

not me
The issue isn't that they can't make good games... it's that who the fuck knows if their next game will be good or bad.

I hear you on JE: I didn't particularly like it myself. But I know a lot of people that think it's amazing, and it was well-received in general.

Mass Effect 3 would have been a GOTY candidate without the ending. Even on the BSN where the hate was at its most vitriolic you can scan the review thread and find the overwhelming majority loved the game until the end. ME is also a different dev team.

Dragon Age 2 was made in 11 months. I find the worst flaws of the game tied directly to this rushed deadline: repeated environments, choice railroading, rushed Act 3, generalized combat encounters. Gripes like the over-the-top animations probably would have still existed though.

In other words, there's worries about a game and worries about a studio. Worries about a game can include things like not being given enough dev time which are out of a studio's control. Since this game has been given plenty of time (it's been in planning since Origins, and was granted an extra year from it's original releaste date) it's up to Bioware to make this great, and I have very little reason to believe someone who loved Origins won't love this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Those games were all rushed. This game got a year delay for polish.

Those games were all rushed. This game got a year delay for polish.

Yep, which is why I am amped. If they can't do it better this time with all the time they have been afforded, I will join the people that won't be excited for a Bioware game next time it comes up.

I have confidence (especially given the amazing videos we've been seeing) that this game will be more inline with DA:O and it has got me chomping at the bit for it. Total overexcitement on my part and wishing it was October already.

Besides the shit ending and awful sidequests, everything else in ME3 was excellent to me, it was by no means a bad game.

This. And I didn't even mind the sidequests! On just about every other level, ME3 was a notable step up from 2. More customization, more freedom in roleplaying (don't have to go max paragon or max renegade any more!), more fleshed out leveling system, and superior combat. The game gets way too much crap for the last 10 minutes.

Top Bottom