• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I have used a lot of different ones. I don't like any of them in the performance class, though.

If you've got free choice it's usually between the FF and the RUF - the RUF is quicker but twitchy, the FF is 4wd so is easier to chuck into bends without losing much speed.

Anyone get this?

I posted in the TV topic but so far no ideas.

At night tracks there is clear banding in the skies. I don't know if it is the TV or the game. It also shows during the boot up health warning as the screen goes from black to blue so I think it is the TV.

50yzzzA.jpg

This shot is from a camera at the TV, hence the noise and so on. It is also in photo mode and the EV is turned down so the sky is even closer to black, to highlight what I see in general with darker solid colors. In other words it is exaggerated.

The TV is a new Bravia well recommended for gaming. It shows 1080p 12bit which means deep colour.

Anyone get this?

I posted in the TV topic but so far no ideas.

At night tracks there is clear banding in the skies. I don't know if it is the TV or the game. It also shows during the boot up health warning as the screen goes from black to blue so I think it is the TV.

50yzzzA.jpg

This shot is from a camera at the TV, hence the noise and so on. It is also in photo mode and the EV is turned down so the sky is even closer to black, to highlight what I see in general with darker solid colors. In other words it is exaggerated.

The TV is a new Bravia well recommended for gaming. It shows 1080p 12bit which means deep colour.
Can't say I've ever seen that on DC - probably a daft question but have you tried it with deep colour off?

Can't say I've ever seen that on DC - probably a daft question but have you tried it with deep colour off?

Yes.
Didn't make any difference.
I'm going to attach a regular monitor to the HDMI cable see if it still shows.

It is easy to find that sky, just the "punching above your weight" event then at the start line go to photo mode and turn down EV if necessary to make it even darker. From the start I get big concentric bands of colour instead of smoothly graduated color ..

I'm thinking it is the TV, as only dark solid areas of color show it, and I see it on PS4 boot up as bands of discrete color appear as the blue fades up from black.

But that is surprising as it is was an expensive bravia not some aldi cheap and cheerful panel.

Yes.
Didn't make any difference.
I'm going to attach a regular monitor to the HDMI cable see if it still shows.

It is easy to find that sky, just the "punching above your weight" event then at the start line go to photo mode and turn down EV if necessary to make it even darker. From the start I get big concentric bands of colour instead of smoothly graduated color ..

I'm thinking it is the TV, as only dark solid areas of color show it, and I see it on PS4 boot up as bands of discrete color appear as the blue fades up from black.

But that is surprising as it is was an expensive bravia not some aldi cheap and cheerful panel.

Is there a PC or gaming mode on the tv? Just to make sure all image tweaks are off.

Shaneus

Is there a PC or gaming mode on the tv? Just to make sure all image tweaks are off.

well I tested it on a monitor and get the same banding.

it is visible anywhere the colors are dark.

The TV in game mode actually does have a setting "smooth graduations" and if I turn that from off to low or medium, it largely goes away.

However that is adding post-processing effects not subtracting them.

well I tested it on a monitor and get the same banding.

it is visible anywhere the colors are dark.

The TV in game mode actually does have a setting "smooth graduations" and if I turn that from off to low or medium, it largely goes away.

However that is adding post-processing effects not subtracting them.

Was the PS4 still set to deep colour when you tested the monitor? I dunno, maybe just set the tv to smooth graduations and try to forget about it! Very strange, I have seen that happen on an old tv with my PS3 but not on a modern panel.

I'm surprised. Where was Horizon 2 on the list? I thought that would've been higher, given the near unanimous praise it had compared to DC.

It's 17th which still isn't bad but it does seem to be more of a hit with the journo's - the OT is still on its first thread despite launching before DC. The list kinda shows up Eurogamer's review scores actually as the top 15 with players has 2 games they scored 6/10 and lots of 8/10's.

I wonder if the weather patch was a bit of a master stroke on Evo's part, getting people talking about the game again after its launch window and giving the sales a long tail...

kyser73

Was the PS4 still set to deep colour when you tested the monitor? I dunno, maybe just set the tv to smooth graduations and try to forget about it! Very strange, I have seen that happen on an old tv with my PS3 but not on a modern panel.

I disabled deep colour but it didn't make any difference.

On the monitor, I can also see banding using HDMI by going to photo mode from "punching beyond your weight" and moving the camera so the sky fills the frame. There are about 16 colours bands of night sky from black on upwards. The darker the image the more the bands are visible.

On the Bravia I've done some googling and mostly after calibration people leave "smooth graduations" to low, and mine was off.

I'd have to do a share button frame capture to know but I suspect there just aren't that many distinct colors in the output signal, so the banding is coming from the game, but the TV settings were making it even more obvious and distracting.

benzy

I disabled deep colour but it didn't make any difference.

On the monitor, I can also see banding using HDMI by going to photo mode from "punching beyond your weight" and moving the camera so the sky fills the frame. There are about 16 colours bands of night sky from black on upwards. The darker the image the more the bands are visible.

On the Bravia I've done some googling and mostly after calibration people leave "smooth graduations" to low, and mine was off.

I'd have to do a share button frame capture to know but I suspect there just aren't that many distinct colors in the output signal, so the banding is coming from the game, but the TV settings were making it even more obvious and distracting.

Do you see banding when viewing dark scenes in other games or movies?

I don't see any banding from DC on my screen.

xfcmhv.jpg

Do you see banding when viewing dark scenes in other games or movies?

I don't see any banding from DC on my screen.

thanks Can you just try one other thing?
set EV slider down so the sky gets darker still, and point the camera more up.

No concentric rings of discrete colours visible?

because it is visible on my Dell monitor. And on the TV, unless I use this smooth graduation post-processing menu item.

Here is what a Dell LED monitor shows
all I did is go to the start of the race, switch to photo mode, and moved the camera:

lbR6Aoo.jpg

went through all Dell monitor settings and no change to the bands. Tried Limited RGB as well as Full and no change to the discrete bands of color.

Here is what a screen capture (although uploaded to imgur) shows, of exactly the same frame.

vySH1S3.jpg

The same bands are there in the screen capture!
here is that JPG edited, just turn the exposure slider way up and save as new file:
PddU0Ul.jpg

so now this is what I see on the monitor and TV.

the sky colours are much darker in the native JPG capture much darker than how the image is on the monitor or TV, so the banding is almost invisible to the eye
but they are all there. And when the LED monitor or TV displays the HDMI signal, they are much more visible.

I don't know what is intended by the game, the colours from the JPG capture, or the colours as interpreted by the display device which highlight the bands?

benzy

thanks Can you just try one other thing?
set EV slider down so the sky gets darker still, and point the camera more up.

No concentric rings of discrete colours visible?

because it is visible on my Dell monitor. And on the TV, unless I use this smooth graduation post-processing menu item.

ozbxsy.jpg

phvmws.jpg

krioto

I'm starting to love the 2 Mclaren hypercars - after the event in the Redline series, I've been driving these 2 cars on every track.

xrnzaaas

All McLaren cars in the game are great. :) I usually pick F1 LM, because I don't want to constantly remember about using P1's DRS & KERS. Plus I'm in love with its engine sound. :) 12C is also very easy to drive and it makes winning super class races much easier.

Ughh the last race in the semi-pro cup is like impossible to get 1st place in. You start in 11th, and you are behind a mess of mayhem every single time while the 1st and 2nd place cars just leave everyone behind. Very frustrating.
It's always best to look for the car with the best handling (preferably a 4WD) if you have problems winning a race event, that is as long as the game gives you a free choice of a vehicle. You should also know that some greats cars like the Bentley or Pagani Zonda R need to be unlocked first (or obtained through a DLC) so sometimes it's better to wait until you've got access to better cars.

I also recommend backing off a tiny little bit if the AI messes up and crashes soon after the start. For me it often happens in Oliver's Landing (Canada). If on the other hand the race requires you to reach 1st place asap then you should consider bouncing back off the AI vehicles in sharper corners (always take the inside line). Just make sure not to hit them too hard so that you won't spin or receive a penalty.

GobFather

Season pass, bought.

I love DriveClub.

lol yea didn't think I would like it. I posted a screenshot of driveclub in weather and put it on my fb. My friends thought, since it's raining in my area, it was a real picture. (The car's wheel & side was shown along with the wet roads) But when I told them it was driveclub, one of them just bought a ps4 to try it lol :p

desu

I think they realise this and are going to patch it - Rushy said they were looking at their options a few pages back in this thread.

Ah cool, I remember reading that but I wasn't reading properly and assumped this was meant for the main game campaign. Good to know and hoping that this will be in the next update.

MarkV

Damn, i have a bought a US season pass code for Driveclub that doesn't work in my region. Someone want to trade it for something? Or i can sell it for 23$ with paypal, send me a message.

No one interested? Twenty box for a US season pass code.

PowerK

Any update on ETA for replay mode ? (I can't believe any developer/publisher releasing a racing game without proper replay mode).

Got a PS4 today as a gift. Immediately got the digital version. Downloaded the 4-something gigs of game and update, played that first race, and was so excited to play more...until I realized pretty much 98% of the rest of the game is still downloading. Fuck.

Played two maps in race, time trial and drift races though. Feels so solid. I recently got bored of Grid Autosport on PC and have been looking for a good non-sim racer and this is perfect. Looking forward to getting access to the entire game, unlocking some shit and getting a wheel.

Just picked it up today and holy hell I'm glad I did. Was holding out for PS plus but since it was 40 at best buy plus 8 off for gcu and 30 ducks of reward certs, I paid a cool 2.17 out of pocket. The game feels so good and looks so good. The in store demo didn't do it justice. Can't wait to get back to school so I can hook into the surround sound. So if anyone is on the fence go for it. And the weather... hot damn. Freaking lightning exploding a tree man. http://youtu.be/ntirYIeN-wU

terrible

Banned
I bought this game yesterday on the PS Store and like 30 seconds after I bought it my internet went down and it hasn't come back up yet. Noooooooooooooooooo I should have went physical.

I was really looking forward to playing it too lol.

DCS

Banned
Which paint type do you guys prefer? I love the reflections on the Gloss & Metallic paint but it sometimes makes it look like there are jaggles everywhere whilst Matte has none of that but just looks boring.

danowat

Banned
Which paint type do you guys prefer? I love the reflections on the Gloss & Metallic paint but it sometimes makes it look like there are jaggles everywhere whilst Matte has none of that but just looks boring.

I quite like the livery unlocked for getting all stars in the tour, looks pretty slick in orange, silver and black.

I'm just glad to have made it before the (hopefully incoming) cap limit increase. Leaves Kings with only three members not on L50 (and both seemingly rapidly approaching). Woo!

SKIVECLUB is pretty much living up to their name when it comes to leveling, I believe I'm about 45 and the club is at about 25 :( Only got three/four members though

chadskin

It's 17th which still isn't bad but it does seem to be more of a hit with the journo's - the OT is still on its first thread despite launching before DC.

And DC got way more mentions in the GAF GOTY 2014 thread, about twice as much last I checked. So I expect it to come out in front of FH2 in that voting, too.

And DC got way more mentions in the GAF GOTY 2014 thread, about twice as much last I checked. So I expect it to come out in front of FH2 in that voting, too.

I hadn't really thought about it when I posted that but I guess there's nearly double the number of PS4's out there compared to xbones so it's probably to be expected that DC got more votes. I think it was brave decision on Evo's part to discard a lot of the driving game features that have crept in over the years (open world, driver aids, rewind etc).

lordxar

I hadn't really thought about it when I posted that but I guess there's nearly double the number of PS4's out there compared to xbones so it's probably to be expected that DC got more votes. I think it was brave decision on Evo's part to discard a lot of the driving game features that have crept in over the years (open world, driver aids, rewind etc).

Sometimes the best games out there take us back to our roots.

TM94

Got an error code on my PS4 logging me out of Driveclub.

Just as I was about to cross the finish line and post my best time on a hotlap.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just got this game last night and am having fun. Joined a club of people on my friends list (Level 46 club, if that matters). Any other tips for a newb to maximize enjoyment?

I LOVE the cockpit view (those effects, god damn) but I tend to crash alot.

CozMick

Banned
I need something to do in this game, it just lingers on the xmb taunting me.

I'm 405/405, Platinum, 100% all the dlc...........

My level 29 club is dead,

We need more dlc Rushy stat.

DasRaven

Isn't this exactly what the Challenges are for? You've got to have some of those sitting there taunting you.

Auctopus

Challenges, Multiplayer, Time Trials and find a new club? You can help me get the 5 challenges sent/won trophy, mine seems to be bugged.

Top Bottom