• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

IKizzLE

I don't follow this thread too much but just noticed Driveclub posted this in the comments of the new track video:

we are also making a couple of changes in the next update that will help.

1) AI cars will no longer draft like driving Gods, so you'll see less chain-drafting and they won't exploit any little mistake you make quite as aggressively as they do right now.
2) Hitting the walls and armco will no longer have such a major impact on your speed, giving you a little more chance to recover if you're pushed around or you make a mistake.

Not sure if that's common knowledge here but sounds great.
Rip velcro railings. Online Will be much better now.

CozMick

Banned
Just posted a 1:15:450 on the Indian track with the Ferrari special.

Sub 1:15:00 is definitely possible , i lose :600 on the two ridicuous hairpins. :/

MMaRsu

Banned
Hey guys I'm back :). I took a few pics while I was banned, and couldnt post them here but now's the time :D. Still loving this game ever so much.

Here are a few of the pics I took. Not as good as some of the stuff in the photo thread but still! Let me know if the pictures link to the full res image?

Shaneus

I don't follow this thread too much but just noticed Driveclub posted this in the comments of the new track video:

1) AI cars will no longer draft like driving Gods, so you'll see less chain-drafting and they won't exploit any little mistake you make quite as aggressively as they do right now.
2) Hitting the walls and armco will no longer have such a major impact on your speed, giving you a little more chance to recover if you're pushed around or you make a mistake.

I hope they still exploit mistakes fairly aggressively, though. That's what I loved about the AI so far in DC, is that they force you to become better drivers as a result. I wouldn't be half as good as I am now if the game didn't shove your face in the mud every time you did a tiny little fuck up.

Rip velcro railings. Online Will be much better now.
It's a shame they couldn't do that just for online... IMO you should be punished for hitting the railings, otherwise you'll have people dodgem-ing time trials and finding a better way around corners than actually taking the driving line (that I sometimes see now).

Looks like they went with rain instead of snow, great to see Mt. Fuji. Man, they are really trying with the DLC tracks, it blows most of the vanilla game out of the water.
Weather isn't mutually exclusive, it can be both. Fair chance that snow will be in it as well if it's a thing that does happen in the region.

Edit: Watching that video, it also looks like exposure has been tweaked as well, no longer completely destroys visibility when coming out of a tunnel. Woo!

nib95

Banned

The drafting change is good news, as are those to the sticky barriers and armco, but I don't like the idea of dumbed down AI at all. I mean, the challenge of the game and it's AI are one of it's main qualities.

NJShadow

So happy right now... O_O

B7WcnouIUAAUk1Q.jpg:orig

Just posted a 1:15:450 on the Indian track with the Ferrari special.

Sub 1:15:00 is definitely possible , i lose :600 on the two ridicuous hairpins. :/

Yep there's defo more time in there, I found 2.5 tenths on ya ;-) I got it in the first section of bends then clung on till the finish.

http://youtu.be/VoIGW5TtOeg

And I came back to win the Alpine challenge woohoo! :) Set the 6th fastest time (with the alpine) in the world doing it, whilst Vaga set the fastest time in the world (with the 12C) to take the McLaren win.

http://youtu.be/rYCOYlKrmBs

I turned on my PS4 before to see 4 guys on my friends list playing my challenges, it was awesome :)

IKizzLE

I hope they still exploit mistakes fairly aggressively, though. That's what I loved about the AI so far in DC, is that they force you to become better drivers as a result. I wouldn't be half as good as I am now if the game didn't shove your face in the mud every time you did a tiny little fuck up.

It's a shame they couldn't do that just for online... IMO you should be punished for hitting the railings, otherwise you'll have people dodgem-ing time trials and finding a better way around corners than actually taking the driving line (that I sometimes see now).

Weather isn't mutually exclusive, it can be both. Fair chance that snow will be in it as well if it's a thing that does happen in the region.

Edit: Watching that video, it also looks like exposure has been tweaked as well, no longer completely destroys visibility when coming out of a tunnel. Woo!

Yea, lap times will be different now because there are some corners that are gonna be faster if you hit at the right angle. But velcro railings was a terrible solution, especially with how aggressive the AI are, and how narrow the tracks are in combination with how many online drivers you can have in one race. They need to figure something else out....

Ranger X

Those are terrible terrible changes. I really don't like Evolution caving in like that to people's misplaced complains.

Especially number 2, that game was balanced perfectly in matter slowing down the player when they hit something. This will fix nothing. It will do even worse -- it will fuck up the gameplay AND the online experience. People might exploit the game instead of doing "legit" times. If this fucks anything up, many people will stop playing and challenges will lose their appeal. I will be the first to stop playing in that case.

PepperedHam

Been stuck on the Legend tour for about a week and just went in and crushed every objective in one try. I was like a man possessed. Now to keep chipping away at Venom Hot Lap and some of the DLC tours.

Also does anyone know if there's a way to see how many hours you have logged into the game?

viveks86

Those are terrible terrible changes. I really don't like Evolution caving in like that to people's misplaced complains.

Especially number 2, that game was balanced perfectly in matter slowing down the player when they hit something. This will fix nothing. It will do even worse -- it will fuck up the gameplay AND the online experience. People might exploit the game instead of doing "legit" times. If this fucks anything up, many people will stop playing and challenges will lose their appeal. I will be the first to stop playing in that case.

Relax. Some of you get way too worked up over things you haven't even tried out. Let them release it. If it turns out to be a bad compromise, then make yourself heard.

Strider

Did my first online race and got 4th out of 9. It's nice knowing there are worse drivers out there than me :p

At the end this guy yelled into his mic. "Did I finish?! FUCK" LOL

Relax. Some of you get way too worked up over things you haven't even tried out. Let them release it. If it turns out to be a bad compromise, then make yourself heard.

Lol yep my thoughts exactly.

Did my first online race and got 4th out of 9. It's nice knowing there are worse drivers out there than me :p

At the end this guy yelled into his mic. "Did I finish?! FUCK" LOL

It amazes me how many times I see guys online with a ranking of 1 and no fame. Do they really buy the game, jump straight online and expect to do well?

PepperedHam

My online experience has been kind of mixed so far. A lot of people seem to rage quit mid-race leaving the track a ghost town at times but I can't say I blame them half of the time. A lot of the races I've played online end up with one of us leading the pack just about the entire race with large gaps in between. I've had a lot more fun in single player so far. Going to keep tackling online races this week though since it's an aspect of the game I've barely touched.

Denur

And I came back to win the Alpine challenge woohoo! :) Set the 6th fastest time (with the alpine) in the world doing it, whilst Vaga set the fastest time in the world (with the 12C) to take the McLaren win.

I turned on my PS4 before to see 4 guys on my friends list playing my challenges, it was awesome :)
Nice one!

And the challenges are among the main aspects why I enjoy this game so much.

It is bad. Online racing is annoying at times for it.

Originally it was useless. You could hop off walls with minimal slow down, and people wall-bounced or grinded for maximum effect. So they're well aware about how it can affect times. That is why they introduced the velcro.

We're presumably now going to have a happy-medium. Wall bouncing and grinding still penalised but not so much of a slow down that it pisses you off if you're pushed to the edge.

Well said. As Evolution have stated many times the game is suppose to change to community feedback so adjustments are to be expected. It's similar to people freaking out that a singular wide road Japanese track has been shown, there are a lot of people that want wider tracks (I'm not one of them, though I see why due to what other games normally give them) and we have no idea what the other tracks might be like.

It's driving me mad reading this thread in my breaks at work, i've had no chance to get on my PS4 since last saturday, I think i'm getting really bad withdrawal symptoms!

Putty

It's driving me mad reading this thread in my breaks at work, i've had no chance to get on my PS4 since last saturday, I think i'm getting really bad withdrawal symptoms!

And to further compound, Evo just released a 60fps update and a slew of real world tracks like Nurburgring, Monza and Spa. Loads of new vehicles including a shed load of Japanese models. Replay mode added and private lobbies are now there. Best get that PS4 switched back on!

benzy

Damn that was fast. Can't believe you're not in 1st, that looked like a perfect lap. :p

Nice one!

And the challenges are among the main aspects why I enjoy this game so much.

Cheers bud, I had a celebratory fist pump when I came through in first, well chuffed :) You can see from my fame score it took a hell of lot of laps to get there.

I do enjoy racing online too, but it is dependent on who turns up in the lobby with you.

Damn that was fast. Can't believe you're not in 1st, that looked like a perfect lap. :p

Actually you can see Bathonys ghost come back past me just before the last bend but I (finally!) nailed that corner and retook the place. The fastest time in the world is half a second quicker than that somehow!

And to further compound, Evo just released a 60fps update and a slew of real world tracks like Nurburgring, Monza and Spa. Loads of new vehicles including a shed load of Japanese models. Replay mode added and private lobbies are now there. Best get that PS4 switched back on!

Haha, better pull a sickie and get home quick!

Wabba

Bought the game yesterday, i like it, but damn the road are narrow. It makes for some awesome chaotic races with excellent feeling of speed but it mostly leads to frustration as i am trying to get past a car and then my wheels falls outside and i lose control over the car.

Please in the future updates, make the road bigger then this, much bigger.

Drac

Jumped the shark with the EU sales and my first hour or so spent on this game has been a total bliss !
Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and get a wheel, what the consensus ? If possible I'd like to have one with a gear shift for the full experience :eek: any recommendation ?

Also Clubs are only limited to 6 members ? That seems kinda low... Any GAF EU with an open slot ? id is Doraku.

Vaga

Good for you, the Alpine+track combo was not my cup of tea. I'll set a few challenges tonite on the Kyle, see how you keep up :).

As of right now the Renault Alpine and Twin'Run are my most hated cars, I feel perfectly at home in all hyper cars but these 2 fuckers I just can't stand.

danowat

Banned
As of right now the Renault Alpine and Twin'Run are my most hated cars, I feel perfectly at home in all hyper cars but these 2 fuckers I just can't stand.

Both, especially the Twin-run, exhibit some very unpredictable snap oversteer, highlights the lack of depth in the physics model somewhat.

Auctopus

Good for you, the Alpine+track combo was not my cup of tea. I'll set a few challenges tonite on the Kyle, see how you keep up :).

Vaga, I won't be at my Playstation until tonight but could you add me? I'd like in on those challenges, please.

Also, The TwinRun is hilarious. I'd love to know if the actual car handles as wildly as that.

Vaga

Both, especially the Twin-run, exhibit some very unpredictable snap oversteer, highlights the lack of depth in the physics model somewhat.

I don't think it highlights lack of depth on the contrary. Lift-off oversteer is a natural effect that all cars have and it's related to the weight transfer (that so many 'experts' here on GAF state it's not modelled). But I think due to the racing nature of both cars, they are lacking any form of stability and traction control so we experience a more severe form of oversteer than the rest (the Ariel Atom is another perfect example).

By no means I'm complaining about the cars or I want them changed, they are fine I'm just not comfortable driving them with a DS4. With a proper wheel setup I'm sure it changes the whole experience.

Vaga, I won't be at my Playstation until tonight but could you add me? I'd like in on those challenges, please.

Send a FR to Vagabone.

danowat

Banned
I don't think it highlights lack of depth on the contrary. Lift-off oversteer is a natural effect that all cars have and it's related to the weight transfer (that so many 'experts' here on GAF state it's not modelled). But I think due to the racing nature of both cars, they are lacking any form of stability and traction control so we experience a more severe form of oversteer than the rest (the Ariel Atom is another perfect example).

By no means I'm complaining about the cars or I want them changed, they are fine I'm just not comfortable driving them with a DS4. With a proper wheel setup I'm sure it changes the whole experience.

Lack of depth in tyre modelling certainly, the physic model feels quite basic, as for traction and stability control, the lack of traction control, and the way certain cars perform in certain situations only goes to highlight this, in some cases, it can even feel like there are dynamic assists going on.

Weight transfer is modeled, to what degree, I am not sure, although I am not convinced how in depth the suspension model is either.

Top Bottom