• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Ted

I finally got a chance to play this last night properly (or rather for more than 10 minutes!), I only got through the first three events as a couple of mates had sent challenges to beat as a little welcome to Driveclub.

So far I am enjoying it but after only three events I'm far from drawing any conclusions. Good fun so far for sure.

I haven't put much time into a racer [not called NFS] with a pad for a long old time so I was super rusty race one but it's really not as bad playing with a controller as I thought it would be.

I don't feel too disconnected from what is happening on-screen using the pad and the driving model feels simple enough to not make the additional accuracy available from a decent wheel and pedal rig absolutely critical. With even something sim-ish I usually feel I'm missing a part of the core experience without a wheel whereas with this it feels very much as though Evo have tried to be pretty inclusive to pad users.

That's not to say I'm not keen to try!

If and when I have to make the leap away from Logitech for these latest consoles (or take the PS4 to a Thrustmaster using friends place) I'll definitely to stick on Driveclub after testing on some known quantity sims as I reckon it would be a pretty damn fun way to spend some hours.

I assume that some of the built in assists are removed when a compatible wheel is plugged in?

I made sure to save my first three races using the PS4 capture tools so I can go back and revisit after playing a little more and getting to vaguely know the tracks. I don't think I even scared a single apex, let alone hit any. And I still can't even decide which view I prefer (though I stuck to cockpit for races two and three).

I'm frickin' useless I swear!

http://youtu.be/LRyuPwtnHLo

http://youtu.be/QQaHas7Mnyg

http://youtu.be/y_T0OYyU60E

Seems like I'm not grasping the Japan tracks as quickly as everyone else. Also, it's sort of irritating that the Unbeatable trophy is still glitched, it's my only one left for platinum and I've earned it multiple times now.

In order for it to count the challenge you have to be playing the game as it expires. I unlocked it by watching all of the challenges I was winning countdown to zero. The game counted them all then.

It sucked but, I'm not good enough to not do it that way...lol. If I win one, it better damn well count for me.

SJRB

Gold Member
Seems like I'm not grasping the Japan tracks as quickly as everyone else. Also, it's sort of irritating that the Unbeatable trophy is still glitched, it's my only one left for platinum and I've earned it multiple times now.

There's one Japan track I'm really struggling with, but the others are super smooth and intuitive for me.

By the way, some of the menu music is really cool, some tracks are borderline Aphex Twin-esque.

airjoca

Can You guys post some of your club logos? Need to redo mine but can't seem to come up with anything decent, so I'm looking for inspiration. :)

They're tracks where you can really save heaps of time by taking the corner slightly different.

Might be you're too used to tight tracks and sharp corners!

Anyone know if I lose access to my club cars by switching clubs?

My club doesn't seem very active so I am thinking of either making my own or joining someone elses but I don't want to lose those cars we unlocked.

Anyone know if I lose access to my club cars by switching clubs?

My club doesn't seem very active so I am thinking of either making my own or joining someone elses but I don't want to lose those cars we unlocked.

If your new club is lower than 15 you'll lose the Zonda R, not sure what level you lose the mono and the rest at.

Hi friends, looking to buy Driveclub. If I buy used, do I lose anythings (e.g. vouchers) that come with buying new?

Thanks!

No you don't miss out on anything, consider buying the season pass as well tho as it's excellent value and then Evo get something for making a fantastic game :)

If your new club is lower than 15 you'll lose the Zonda R, not sure what level you lose the mono and the rest at.

Damnit.

Anyone in an active club and over 15 with an open spot? I like my club mates but I'm the only one ever doing our club challenges and stuff. Would be nice to have some help

Damnit.

Anyone in an active club and over 15 with an open spot? I like my club mates but I'm the only one ever doing our club challenges and stuff. Would be nice to have some help

Consider your options, maybe start your own club with some gaffers, or I have a dormant club at level 14 that gaffers are welcome to join and will give you a head start. Or give your clubmates a bit of a gee up / get rid of inactive ones.

Consider your options, maybe start your own club with some gaffers, or I have a dormant club at level 14 that gaffers are welcome to join and will give you a head start. Or give your clubmates a bit of a gee up / get rid of inactive ones.

It's not my club so I can't really boot people, and I don't want to anyway since they do play from time to time, at least the tour events. I would just like to be in a club where there's people on every other day working on competing in challenges.

Frankiebass

Neo Member
No you don't miss out on anything, consider buying the season pass as well tho as it's excellent value and then Evo get something for making a fantastic game :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I do think good devs should be supported, but I am a little apprehensive about buying race games. Most are misses for me, but the ones I do like I really like and are some of my favorite games ever (Burnout 3/Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit).

Prices of new/used seem pretty close, so I'll consider when I actually take the plunge. Thanks again!

It's not my club so I can't really boot people, and I don't want to anyway since they do play from time to time, at least the tour events. I would just like to be in a club where there's people on every other day working on competing in challenges.

Yeah it does make a huge difference, I've got to admit to feeling a bit smug about my clubs driver line up at the mo :) We've had a few guys come and go as they were inactive but now I don't think there's many clubs out there that could beat us (sorry if that sounds really big headed!)

Vagabone
IKizzlE
Skillet666
Makikou72
BriJohnson
DHC-Shannow

Yeah it does make a huge difference, I've got to admit to feeling a bit smug about my clubs driver line up at the mo :) We've had a few guys come and go as they were inactive but now I don't think there's many clubs out there that could beat us (sorry if that sounds really big headed!)

Vagabone
IKizzlE
Skillet666
Makikou72
BriJohnson
DHC-Shannow
I see no kie22, you suck.

Putty

Vagabone
IKizzlE
Skillet666
Makikou72
BriJohnson
DHC-Shannow

F**K YOU! My boys are where it's at! Vaga uses missiles thus cheating, IK uses oil slicks thus cheating, and you go backwards to put the rest of us off thus cheating! Also, I work 27 hours a day so I do have time....

Putty

I thought DC couldn't get any better, but yup...the new Multi TT mode is just pure crack cocaine. If crack could take crack...this would be the effect. SSOO good seeing the live standings as the event progresses...seeing other ghosts on track gives you a target to aim for. Best of all, the events last for 4 or 5 laps before moving to the next. Just fucking incredible!

lordxar

Vagabone
IKizzlE
Skillet666
Makikou72
BriJohnson
DHC-Shannow

Yes your epeen is much bigger :)

I thought DC couldn't get any better, but yup...the new Multi TT mode is just pure crack cocaine. If crack could take crack...this would be the effect. SSOO good seeing the live standings as the event progresses...seeing other ghosts on track gives you a target to aim for. Best of all, the events last for 4 or 5 laps before moving to the next. Just fucking incredible!
I thought that wasn't until tomorrow?

Putty

Can someone explain the new multiplayer time trial?

I'm still confused as to what it is/how it works

Basically up to 12 drivers battle it out to record the fastest lap in an event. Think of Trackmania...everyone's a ghost and you get live updates as the event progresses. Imagine crossing the line with the fastest lap, only then for another driver beating your time a second later as his time pops up on screen.

IKizzLE

I see no kie22, you suck.

I'm curious to see how fast kie really is in an actual race, because racing is very different from time trials.

I don't hotlap in any racing game I buy(thus why I've done 1 challenge since I've had this game), and I've been playing them for over a decade, and have historically had the edge on every top hotlapper I've raced against in the past.

Basically up to 12 drivers battle it out to record the fastest lap in an event. Think of Trackmania...everyone's a ghost and you get live updates as the event progresses. Imagine crossing the line with the fastest lap, only then for another driver beating your time a second later as his time pops up on screen.

Damn that sounds awesome. So you have 4 or 5 attempts to get the best lap before moving on?

I'm curious to see how fast kie really is in an actual race, because racing is very different from time trials.

I don't hotlap in any racing game I buy(thus why I've done 1 challenge since I've had this game), and I've been playing them for over a decade, and have historically had the edge on every top hotlapper I've raced against in the past.

Sounds like we have a little bit of a rivalry building in here. Club vs club race time!

Omfg, those two hairpins in Nilgiri Hills are a motherfucker! You have a hairpin, elevation change and camber...twice! I must've spun out 10 times during that race before I finally managed to make it mast those turns.

Damn that sounds awesome. So you have 4 or 5 attempts to get the best lap before moving on?
8 minutes to do all the laps you want.

And quite frankly, fuck... off....

ibxl7eS3aPDcHq.png

Any other car and I would have walked it but outside of the tour I've not spent much time in the 4C.

Also please disable dynamic weather for MP Time Trial. Whilst it simulates like a qualifying it is a bit unfair.

Putty

8 minutes to do all the laps you want.

And quite frankly, fuck... off....

ibxl7eS3aPDcHq.png

Any other car and I would have walked it but outside of the tour I've not spent much time in the 4C.

Also please disable dynamic weather for MP Time Trial. Whilst it simulates like a qualifying it is a bit unfair.

LMFAO! Bet it still feels good though? Won my first one earlier.

Putty

Yeah having dynamic weather really gets the juices flowing! You can feel the grip come back to you. The event basically ends in a last lap shoot out! Like you see in F1 with a drying track, the times tumble....

Vagabone
IKizzlE
Skillet666
Makikou72
BriJohnson
DHC-Shannow

You don't stand a chance vs GafClub, Boyyyyyyyyeeeeee

Yeah having dynamic weather really gets the juices flowing! You can feel the grip come back to you. The event basically ends in a last lap shoot out! Like you see in F1 with a drying track, the times tumble....
Yeah it is good for that but I don't think it makes it overly fair.

So long as it will always have enough time dry to get in 2 laps then I think it is OK but if it pure dynamic then you might end up with someone having a mostly dry run whilst yours is wet depending on where you are on the track.

Dynamic weather during online time trials seems to be a mistake. I've been in a few races already where early starters get the advantage of driving on dry tarmac before the rain has started.

Really wish there was a dismiss challenge button. It's a little harsh but some challenges I know I'm not gonna bother with.

I hate how half the challenges that show up in my inbox I can't even attempt because I haven't unlocked the car.

It shouldn't let you receive challenges that you are inelegible for, or at least add a filtering option.

I can't even count the amount of McLaren P1 events that get sent to me :(

Whb29

So I think this implementation of dynamic time trials is brilliant - has this ever been done before? I've never seen it done like this, and considering it's almost a side note of such a massive update it really shows how much thought the guys at Evo are putting in this game.

I'm a little surprised that everyone seems shocked that they are putting so much effort in to DLC, I mean right from the reveal I remember Rushy saying it was a game that would evolve according to community feedback. I remember this happening back with Motorstorm 1 back in the day, and the DLC for Motorstorm R.C. was stellar. They have a pedigree people!

Also I can't believe some people are on the fence when it is £20-£25 physical or digital. Admittedly I don't have as much time as I would like for gaming these days, but I'm currently only two thirds through the tour as so much of my time has been taken up by mutliplayer and challenges! Add to this the infinite possibilities with weather, time of day and so many tracks, and now time trials, I don't know how anyone could ever be on the fence about spending that much. I already have a massive backlog, but I have literally not touched another game since owning this - buy it!

/promotion

Is it a bug (it must be a bug) for a tour event to try to beat the time and your previous best time is not shown in the corner (it is shown on the leaderboard) and your best ghost doesn't get loaded?
and when you run laps, your best time and best ghost is just from that session, not the aforementioned previous best leaderboard time and ghost?

I'm a little surprised that everyone seems shocked that they are putting so much effort in to DLC, I mean right from the reveal I remember Rushy saying it was a game that would evolve according to community feedback.

A lot of devs make these promises but few follow through in a way that Evo has.

SerTapTap

I'm a little surprised that everyone seems shocked that they are putting so much effort in to DLC, I mean right from the reveal I remember Rushy saying it was a game that would evolve according to community feedback. I remember this happening back with Motorstorm 1 back in the day, and the DLC for Motorstorm R.C. was stellar. They have a pedigree people!

The DLC is not so surprising, the free gameplay and track updates are pretty much unprecedented. None of the reviews could have expected this...unfortunately. Photo mode, weather, japan, time trial multiplayer, amazing stuff.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi everyone. Would you mind answering some newbie questions?

1. I'm not into cars but I like games that go fast! Do I need to know my cars in order to be able to enjoy this?

2. Mario Kart and F Zero are about as close as I've come to racing in a long time, but I'm after an arcade style game with fast paced gameplay and lots of speed. Will this do the trick? I like time trials and anything involving score chasing.

3. Is it 'fixed' yet? Are there any broken bits I need to be aware of?

Sorry if they're daft questions. Racing games are way out of my comfort zone but after hearing that this was more arcade than sim and also gets pretty intense (I love intense games) I'm kind of interested.

The DLC is not so surprising, the free gameplay and track updates are pretty much unprecedented. None of the reviews could have expected this...unfortunately. Photo mode, weather, japan, time trial multiplayer, amazing stuff.
Reviews would have.

We knew photo mode, weather and the DLC plans before release.

IKizzLE

Hi everyone. Would you mind answering some newbie questions?

1. I'm not into cars but I like games that go fast! Do I need to know my cars in order to be able to enjoy this?

2. Mario Kart and F Zero are about as close as I've come to racing in a long time, but I'm after an arcade style game with fast paced gameplay and lots of speed. Will this do the trick? I like time trials and anything involving score chasing.

3. Is it 'fixed' yet? Are there any broken bits I need to be aware of?

Sorry if they're daft questions. Racing games are way out of my comfort zone but after hearing that this was more arcade than sim and also gets pretty intense (I love intense games) I'm kind of interested.

1. No.
2. Nothing like Mario kart and F Zero handling wise but the game has a great sense of speed. You will need time to adjust.
3. It's fixed. You'll randomly get disconnected from online servers from time to time though.

nib95

Banned
Damn you Vivek for setting those insanely good drift scores in those two challenges. Can't believe I got just 10 points away from you in one, and only 50 in the other. This game is trolling me!

Top Bottom