• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUNE movie & TV rights obtained by Legendary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
It's a shitty book anyway

only the last third of the book, the rest is pretty great. Haven't read the others and can't remember anything about the Lynch movie

the new movie/show better look like this Homeworld artwork
homeworld2_conceptart_bAWrY.jpg

bionic77

Yes! Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are good sequels, Children is definitely the better of the two, neither is as great as the original but they're still worth reading.
God Emperor of Dune is very different and it was difficult for me to get into it at the start but it was really worth it, it's such a great book, probably my favourite Dune novel.
Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are great too, the focus shifts to the Bene Gesserit which made me very happy.

Avoid the sequels, prequels and interquels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson like the plague, they are awful.
The non Herbert books are the worst.

I would say stop after God Emperor but no one who gets that far will. I am not a fan of the last 2 books. So far removed from Atreides, Harkonnen, etc

What we really need is another game. I am ok with the movie we have.

hm? The savior theme? The Bene Gesserit? The Baron's sexuality? I can't think of anything else

Constant references to jihad. White Messiah leading a bunch of essentially-Arabs to carry out terrorist attacks on imperialist government, all for a control of a valuable natural resources that EVERYONE needs for society to function.

Though maybe I'm wrong. Children of Dune miniseries came out in 2003 and I don't remember anyone complaining.

golem

Sssh. Even if it sucks what does it cost you or the original material?

And if it doesn't then fantastic.

Not a zero sum jihad

For me the cost would be the production budget spends toward a property that has had some decent outings already over other potential scifi adaptations. I suppose it is arguable that any productions that kick off would only be because of the Dune name (is it really still that well known though?) but I'm sure there are other interesting scifi properties of similar popularity that could be funded.

Number_6

Constant references to jihad. White Messiah leading a bunch of essentially-Arabs to carry out terrorist attacks on imperialist government, all for a control of a valuable natural resources that EVERYONE needs for society to function.

Though maybe I'm wrong. Children of Dune miniseries came out in 2003 and I don't remember anyone complaining.

So what? For the people involved, these were not good things long term.
Paul effected the end of the Fremen culture as they know it. He destroyed them, only by the time they realized it was too late.
I'd say, by the end, or at least the next book, mighty whitey trope averted.

Tizoc

What does this mean for the games? Ive been waiting for a sigital rerelease of dune 2000 forever

As you said nobody complained when the mini series came out, I dont forsee any problems.

Nikodemos

Well, to lessen the impact, you could cast a young-Syrio-Forel-looking guy as Paul. After all, the Atreides (and Caladanians in general) were descended from Greeks (and other Mediterranean people). This way you'd avoid Lawrence-of-Arabia-ising the whole thing.

I don't get why people want to excise the white savior trope. A major part of the book is that outsider Paul is able to infiltrate the Fremen by taking advantage of the Missionara Protectiva. Paul and Jessica knowingly manipulate the Fremen by using myths seeded into their culture. Without it they would have likely been killed immediately at Stilgar's steich. If anything, a new adaptation should hammer the point that Paul and Jessica are taking advantage of them.

While I'm always reservedly optimistic every time they come out with a new Dune, I've always thought it would be better as a HBO series. It's not like HBO couldn't use it GoT is ending and Westworld will most likely be cancelled in the second season if it even makes it that far.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't get why people want to excise the white savior trope. A major part of the book is that outsider Paul is able to infiltrate the Fremen by taking advantage of the Missionara Protectiva. Paul and Jessica knowingly manipulate the Fremen by using myths seeded into their culture. Without it they would have likely been killed immediately at Stilgar's steich. If anything, a new adaptation should hammer the point that Paul and Jessica are taking advantage of them.

That's actually what I loved about the sequels once Paul realized how out of control things had gotten by his act of revenge. I believe there is a part where he's comparing himself to the great monsters from ancient human history (from their perspective) and list the body counts of Hitler and Genghis Khan and how Paul's Jihad had taken tens of billions or something along those lines and his absolute depression at what he had done. Herbert constantly pounds into our heads how dangerous rash actions are over long term goals in all respects and the danger with superheroes like Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom