• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Election 2016 [Mafia] | Everlasting GOPstoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nin1000

Banned
Like when he suggested that she might have the ability to silence people? Lynching a neutral, in this case without power and vote, would not have helped us. Well, except for the delayed mafia kill.
Her being neutral and not having any benefit for the town :p

El Topo

Her being neutral and not having any benefit for the town :p

Lynching a neutral does not bring us closer to our win condition. We knew she had no vote, we assumed she had no power.
I would compare it to not lynching. You can do it, technically it is the safest move, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Reading the Dead Thread now

So y'all think CAPS was my downfall, hm

BUT CAPS IS USEFUL FOR EMPHASIS THO

...AFTER THIS LOSS, I'VE REALIZED SOMETHING

THIS DOESN'T CALL FOR LESS CAPS...

THIS CALLS FOR MORE

IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS FROM NOW ON, EVERYONE WILL EVENTUALLY GET USED TO IT AND LEARN TO SEE PAST THE HUGENESS FOR THE LOGICAL THINGS THAT I'M ACTUALLY SAYING

fRJ2YDp.jpg

I'M A GENIUS

Sorian

Banned
Like when he suggested that she might have the ability to silence people? Lynching a presumed neutral is not necessarily the best option. It is the safest.

She had a bad role claim because she was cut off from the scum and did not have access to fake names that Ouro provided. Her name made no sense for a neutral that could join the GOP. She was obviously lying which means she had a reason to lie, etc. etc.

Lynching a neutral does not bring us closer to our win condition. We knew she had no vote, we assumed she had no power.

Lynching her was in your best interest that the second you got her role name. You didn't know it at the time but her real power was that she could confuse and misguide you. She knew who scum was and her win condition was to make sure that they won. Letting her have any voice in the community was a town mistake. You, yourself, got lynched because she was allowed to have a voice for as long as she did.

SalvaPot

She had a bad role claim because she was cut off from the scum and did not have access to fake names that Ouro provided. Her name made no sense for a neutral that could join the GOP. She was obviously lying which means she had a reason to lie, etc. etc.

Lynching her was in your best interest that the second you got her role name. You didn't know it at the time but her real power was that she could confuse and misguide you. She knew who scum was and her win condition was to make sure that they won. Letting her have any voice in the community was a town mistake. You, yourself, got lynched because she was allowed to have a voice for as long as she did.

What I found weird about her claim is that her role showed as GOP if investigated, so she could have easily ask to be investigated (since we didn´t know if we had more investigator roles), that would have put some heat off her.

I tried to save you bsp u.u

What I found weird about her claim is that her role showed as GOP if investigated, so she could have easily ask to be investigated (since we didn´t know if we had more investigator roles), that would have put some heat off her.

I tried to save you bsp u.u

No it wouldn't have

She claimed neutral that turns into GOP when scum is lynched and gains a vote. Had she been identified as GOP (forget the fact that kk and cabot were the investigators), but couldn't vote, she would be done

Anyone specifically asking to be investigated is sort of suspicious, timeaisis did the same thing in cthulhu

El Topo

Of course. I considered her a controllable risk nonetheless. You know who also lied? SalvaPot.

I got lynched because people decided to be fools. Trying to decipher an incomplete list of a neutral, at that point proven to be aligned with mafia, made no sense whatsoever.

People have a misconception about mafia. Trying to read people or decipher posts is a fool's errand most of the time. It is not reliable. If you approach this game and try to read people to find out who is scum you are inevitably going to fail in the long run.

People focus on when it works, when they should focus on how often it fails. You may try to do this, you have to lynch *someone* after all and a random number generator is not particularly satisfying for us, but it is not to be trusted. There's a reason why I tend to focus on flavor and game analysis. Meta analysis could probably also be really helpful, but I feel that would ruin the fun.

Sorian

Banned
Of course. I considered a controllable risk nonetheless. You know who also lied? SalvaPot.

Should have lynched him too :p

People have a misconception about mafia. Trying to read people or decipher posts is a fool's errand most of the time. It is not reliable. If you approach this game and try to read people to find out who is scum you are inevitably going to fail in the long run.

People focus on when it works, when they should focus on how often it fails. You may try to do this, you have to lynch *someone* after all and a random number generator is not particularly satisfying for us, but it is not to be trusted. There's a reason why I tend to focus on flavor and game analysis. Meta analysis could probably also be really helpful, but I feel that would ruin the fun.

What? Reading people is the ENTIRE point of mafia. Of course you should be trying to read people and decipher posts. That's how the vanilla game is played. Mafia was and still is a thing without power roles.

Lynching her on day 2 over me was what her role was basically made for.

Protecting us at night and getting us an earlier victory
Also for stuff like corn's vigilante claim

Sorian

Banned
Lynching her on day 2 over me was what her role was basically made for.

Protecting us at night and getting us an earlier victory
Also for stuff like corn's vigilante claim

Nah, she was there to just muddy the waters as much as possible. Lynching her first is good, not bad.

What? Reading people is the ENTIRE point of mafia. Of course you should be trying to read people and decipher posts. That's how the vanilla game is played. Mafia was and still is a thing without power roles.

I agree and disagree. Sometimes, clear reads are VERY useful, when corroborated with everything else.

But those read heavy players can get screwed over easier. Thinking of it from other perspectives, like looking for contradictions in people's posts, thinking about things from the idea of game balance, etc. is typically more accurate.

But just like analysing night kills, which many people say is a case of WIFOM and should just be ignored, reads still have a place as a piece of information in its own right

El Topo

No. He claimed to be untouchable even though the cop was gone, it seemed reasonable to assume it might be a power role trying to protect himself, no matter how nonsensical.

It works in real life, where you can look at facial expressions and gesticulation, where people have to be spontaneous. Online that is significantly less reliable. Vanilla mafia, i.e. only town and mafia without any roles, is problematic online. If we held a thousand vanilla mafia games at GAF, I doubt the win ratio would be noticeably better than if we used RNG.

Of course you read what people post, of course you have to try to get some impression of what they are doing and why they are doing it. If you do not want to solely utilize RNG then you obviously have to attempt to gain additional information.

The thing is that one must not put too much emphasis on this. I'm sure anyone playing online poker would agree. It is ultimately about estimating and controlling risks.

I was actually hoping BSP could become Electorate if you guys mislynched enough. But then I had to kill her. :(

Since we won I generously forgive you :*

And I have to say that I had a lot more fun watching you down there than being there myself :p

I also want to thank Ouro for special mentioning me :))) and for his heartbreaking flavors :'( :) Great Game!!!! Sad to hear you won't mod again :/

I'm looking forward to play with any of you in the upcoming season!!!! <3

Ourobolus

Banned
Since we won I generously forgive you :*

And I have to say that I had a lot more fun watching you down there than being there myself :p

I also want to thank Ouro for special mentioning me :))) and for his heartbreaking flavors :'( :) Great Game!!!! Sad to hear you won't mod again :/

I'm looking forward to play with any of you in the upcoming season!!!! <3

There's always future seasons! Time to let some other people try their hand at it.

From the Electorate thread, Hyper's take on Sorian:

Hyperactivity said:
It's a couple things, but he only ever went 2 days in cthulhu, and I have a suspicion that he may have been a recruitable townie or 2nd cult (which would make him a pretty great scum player)

From what I figure, he's not as good at making reads (still decent at the very least though). However, he plays a vital role for town, in that he keeps conversation going. HE keeps the wheels turning in everybody else's mind, and Cthulhu became noticeably more quiet (mind you Blargonaut was lynched that day too) after he left.

He also has an amazing power to lead bandwagons. When he votes for you, don't be too alarmed, because you just have to post a holeless defense and he'll probably take the vote off. His vote goes everywhere, and not a single person will be left untouched by it.

So I would put him at medium threat personally, he can be an unwitting tool for cult or a dangerous weapon against it. Or something in the middle

C'mon, the electorate is filled with smart educated people who love reading the truth about everything

Give us our food

We'll give you some of your pizza?

fiiiine

The truth is, I had barely began writing Chapter 2. After Salva started flinging his 90% 4-times-out-of-5-this-one-trick-works shade at me, I began to turn my attention towards posting in response to him to buy some more time, and got distracted from continuing. Then Splint shoved me and history etc.

This is all I had written for Chapter 2 by Day's end:

Chapter 2: The Road to El Topo

Okay.

So, out of the 5 of us left, and in order to justify why we still exist, there MUST be 3 GOP left between us. So who, and what, are the two other players?

ZSconvb.gif
?

Putting *Splinter aside for a moment, let's take another look at the room we're in:

SCENARIO A

I believe that we're in a sitch right now with 3 GOP and 2 scum Electorate. Besides their standard-issue factional kill, I believe that they have another power role who can execute an extra kill every Night.

SCENARIO B

However, the only other possible scenario, that others have also suggested, is a sitch with 3 GOP, 1 scum Electorate and 1 Neutral Killer/SK. 1 kill per Night via Mafia factional kill, and another kill per Night via SK. If this scenario were true, I believe that SalvaPot is the SK and that the 1 scum Electorate remaining is between CornBurrito and Fireblend.

If we are considering Scenario B to be our current hell, then Fireblend should have absolutely silenced me or someone else yesterday, because

I would have gone on to explain that I made a mistake in rescinding my request to Fireblend yesterday, and Fireblend should have absolutely silenced someone, anyone, last Night, because the vote situation would be iffy and dangerous today, and him crippling someone to have a single vote would be beneficial to Town today (I think?). He had a 2/5, 40% chance to hit a scum Electorate, and Fireblend silencing someone, anyone to make sure that person was careful with their 1 vote would be an excellent tell for us today. I dunno. I'm pulling this out of my butt, k

Then, I would have went on to state that I actually started to believe that my Scenario B more as being our current game situation, and then go on to accuse SalvaPot of being a Serial Killer, and CornBurrito as the last scum Electorate.

I would have then locked in my vote on Corn as my final vote.

&#9734;

FUN FACT #1:
My votes on CornBurrito and *Splinter at the beginning of Day 5 were completely chosen at random.

SUPER DUPER FUN FACT #2:

UNVOTE: *Splinter

UNVOTE: Fireblend

You wanna play realtime, let's fuck

UNVOTE: Fireblend

This was a typo.

I had fully intended to vote Fireblend on the second line there, but after editing *Splinter's name to Fireblend I forgot to edit my copy/paste of the UNVOTE line to a VOTE. I didn't even notice until a few posts later.

Blarg it was so frustrating. Splinter and I were waiting like the whole fucking day for you to just randomly vote for someone, ANYONE, besides us. So we could pounce. You actually did it too, while I was at work :(

Sorian

Banned
fiiiine

The truth is, I had barely began writing Chapter 2. After Salva started flinging his 90% 4-times-out-of-5-this-one-trick-works shade at me, I began to turn my attention towards posting in response to him to buy some more time, and got distracted from continuing. Then Splint shoved me and history etc.

This is all I had written for Chapter 2 by Day's end:

I would have gone on to explain that I made a mistake in rescinding my request to Fireblend yesterday, and Fireblend should have absolutely silenced someone, anyone, last Night, because the vote situation would be iffy and dangerous today, and him crippling someone to have a single vote would be beneficial to Town today (I think?). He had a 2/5, 40% chance to hit a scum Electorate, and Fireblend silencing someone, anyone to make sure that person was careful with their 1 vote would be an excellent tell for us today. I dunno. I'm pulling this out of my butt, k

Then, I would have went on to state that I actually started to believe that my Scenario B more as being our current game situation, and then go on to accuse SalvaPot of being a Serial Killer, and CornBurrito as the last scum Electorate.

I would have then locked in my vote on Corn as my final vote.

&#9734;

FUN FACT #1:
My votes on CornBurrito and *Splinter at the beginning of Day 5 were completely chosen at random.

SUPER DUPER FUN FACT #2:

This was a typo.

I had fully intended to vote Fireblend on the second line there, but after editing *Splinter's name to Fireblend I forgot to edit my copy/paste of the UNVOTE line to a VOTE. I didn't even notice until a few posts later.

I hope you now understand the responsibility of your vote and what it means at end game.

*Splinter

Dead Thread was fun. Interesting that I felt I played really badly apart from the last day, while dead thread (or at least Hyper) thought the opposite.

Couple of explanations:
I was gambling hard on winning today. I expected Blarg and Fire to agree to Salva's analysis quicker than they did, and liked my chances in a THUNDERDOME against Blarg. The downside to this was I couldn't bus Corn AT ALL, and he'd be in an awful position if I were lynched.

My role claim. I couldn't give an elaborate claim because honestly I hadn't been paying as close attention as I usually do, I could barely remember what happened each day and what I had been posting at the start. not sure why, but partly Palmer calling me confirmed made me relax right out of the game.

I put my vote back on Blarg so it would be up overnight. By the end I gave up on Fire, was hoping for Salva (lol) even though I thought he never trusted me. Apparently he has some kind of Blarg grudge? gg

PS: I liked this town, they tried, both sides made mistakes, we had more than our share of luck. Game could have gone either way, hope people enjoyed the Mexican standoffs for the last day, I know I did

*Splinter

Also I'm really glad I got to work with Splinter. I liked him in DR, despite thinking he was scum, then town, then scum.
Oh yeah this was a lot of fun too. I had harassed Corn all of last game so it was cool to be co-conspirators this time.

Also thanks to Hyper, laid some good groundwork for us that we completely fucked up on :D

And BSP, the teammate I never knew I had!

I do realize that me saying right now that I would've locked-in my vote on CornBurrito and not Fireblend is now totally after the fact, and is making me sound like a sore loser...

The cut-off on my Chapter 2 post there looks like it was leading to me accusing Fireblend, but I'm not funning you, I really was intending to go for CornBurrito once I deployed my Chapter 2 post.

At the time, my rationale that I had intended to put down for Fireblend not being scum, was that I had looked at the role description of Silencer on this Mafia wiki, which states that Silencer roles were "basically always scum". But then why would Fireblend openly claim to be a Silencer and stick to it, if he was truly scum? Was it a feint? But then, he also claimed that it was a limited-use ability for him, a 3-shot. But that wasn't what persuaded me; what persuaded me of Fire's Town-ness was that the Silence ability was used only once the entire game. Scum wouldn't have squandered that type of ability at all, they would've absolutely spammed that out every Night because shutting a person up everyday is super conducive to the cause. Thus, Fireblend must be Town-aligned, not Mafia, because the ability that he claimed to own was only used once in the whole game; an entirely pro-Town move on the Silencer's part.

The only possible discrediting point to this exoneration of Fireblend, was if his ability was actually 1-shot; hence, me stating* that Fireblend should have absolutely used his ability on someone last Night, just to prove that he really was withholding on using it, limited or not, as a pro-Town gesture all along.

Again, I am indeed stating this all after the fact, but it's really what I was going to lead up to in my Chapter 2 post. Please don't think I'm a sore loser for saying this all now, I'm really not ;_;

BELIEVE me or not

OiPhAeo.gif

edit: *what I mean to say, is that I would've stated, had I had the time to fully flesh out my Chapter 2 post

Blarg fun fact 1? No way man, no way

It's my curse

---

Very well, Sorian accepts.

QW6DDN9.png

As soon as the number of symbols in a row/column/diagonal are equal to or greater than 3, those symbols start automatically counting as points, and you can continue to grow the line until it's blocked off. So yep, they automatically get striked through in a sense, no need to do it yourself (but I'll strike through all of them at the end for visual clarity).

Nothing happens when you lose.

Look at that game board.

1 O. 2 X's.

I'm about to get lynched today. 1 Cultist out of the stated 3 in my Win condition was killed before my planned execution-by-vote.

1 O. 2 X's.

And do I even have to explain the flavour text I wrote below that pic?

BELIEVE it or not.

OiPhAeo.gif

6 x 8. 48 boxes in the game board.

Post #48 of this thread:

I don't know who Zatoth is, but I propose mutiny.

Words from my Great Betrayer, Matt Attack himself, the one who was marked to search for me in-game, and who ultimately outed my identity to you all in public. Read that shit.

BELIEVE it or not.

OiPhAeo.gif

Kinda lame out of context of the Cthulhu Mafia thread, but still, #magic

great game guys!

that wasn't even a soft claim on my part lol

I never know. Town can find the stupidest reasons to be 100% accurate on scum, then the smartest reasons to not lynch them

It was something I was keeping in my head

Also I'm really glad I got to work with Splinter. I liked him in DR, despite thinking he was scum, then town, then scum.

We r da best scum teem evvr

Just saying that right here right now. No neutrals helping us over here, no no. We're the first scum team to without neutral help.

cabot

I got lynched because people decided to be fools. Trying to decipher an incomplete list of a neutral, at that point proven to be aligned with mafia, made no sense whatsoever

Come on el topo. I tunnelled you far too hard on the first day of d4 and I relied on bsps posts a little too much at times, but I stepped back on the second day and you still read to me as scummy.

This wasn't some super obvious townie being hounded, everyone had suspicion on you, and there were legit reasons like your slow burn claim, your negative , defensive tone and your ability to not really form a cohesive chase on anyone else specifically. Then there was really annoying stuff like self voting and in the end throwing shade on everyone but me and questioning the basic fundamental mafia rules. It just read more and more like scum trying to throw everyone off and confuse town.

I think it's just a tough play style to gouge if you haven't really seen it before, and in fairness I haven't, because my first game with you had you as neutral that was playing anti town. I know what to expect from now on , but don't play this like we were idiots, you really didn't do yourself much favours.

As for the game. As soon as I flipped I suspected splinter and CB. Popped into the dead thread, asked immediately if it was you guys and ours confirmed. I would've definitely have went after CB today, and splinters role claim would have probably helped, but to be honest I kinda realised during n4 that him holding off the role claim in the penultimate day was really stupid and I didn't think splinter was an idiot, so in the end I assumed he was just scum trying to bide some time.

Salva messing his name up was a pain, but what can you do.

I really enjoyed having a PR though, I sort of regret having the early exit mentality, but that's something to learn from.

Didn't much like town relying on me in d4, I don't think I'm strong enough to hold that sway yet. I understand why, of course, but it kind of nullifies critical thinking and that's obviously bad for town. I advise others to maybe trust my word since I was essentially confirmed town, but don't look to me for everything.

BSP was very impressive, a really great debut if you ask me.

I'll miss ouro modding. His flavour is great and he's always good for chat in PMs too. I like that in our mods, I get on with them all well so far. You're all a bunch of champs.

That's my feedback

*Splinter

Didn't much like town relying on me in d4, I don't think I'm strong enough to hold that sway yet. I understand why, of course, but it kind of nullifies critical thinking and that's obviously bad for town. I advise others to maybe trust my word since I was essentially confirmed town, but don't look to me for everything.
To be fair, I think most of that came from me and Corn.

As for the role claim: I was supposed to claim ordinary, so yeah total screw up on my part

cabot

You killed me at the right time my friend. I was going after cb and then you afterwards. I kind of thank you for it though because I'm at egx and it would've been a nightmare trying to play in among it. You were good though, well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom