• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer review Mario Kart Wii

Garcian

Apologies if posted in another thread.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=95123

8/10

I like the sound of this:

By and large, the new track design is very close in style to Mario Kart DS: a good number of technically interesting corners slipped into hyperactive barrage of spectacle, hazard, incident, dynamically changing racing lines and opportunities for accident and mischief. There are too many memorable sections to list, though special mention must be made of the treacherous conveyors of Toad's factory and the ridiculous, icy slaloms of DK's Snowboard Cross.

Vinci

Danish
Dear Zeus, they actually make me want to use a remote add-on. I mostly ignore them, but I guess there's no reason to in this case.

Awesome review. Too bad about some of the changes though.

Nothing will convince me to use the Wii wheel. Not even this review. But good review regardless, looks like day one for me.

dyls

For me it's all going to come down to the quality of the online play. I no longer have a house full of buddies ready to play battle mode until 3 in the morning like I did for MK 64. As long as the game is not too laggy with 12 players and there are no major cheating epidemics, I'll be happy. The fact that this game will keep detailed online stats unlike SSBB means that the urge to cheat may be increased.

I'm just wondering if it will take forever to even get 12 players together. I sure hope you can close off the "searching for opponents" in with anyone, unlike SSBB.

dogonfire

No multiplayer Grand Prix or FFA battles.. does that include local multiplayer?

Those were my favorite things about Mario Kart :(

dyls

I thought GP for local multiplayer was already confirmed. Can't find a link though. No online GP isn't surprising, but if it's only one and done racing it better be fast to get into a race. I don't want to be sitiing waiting for 7 more players to join.

Michan

I trust EG's reviews. I was going to skip this installment, but from what they're saying it sounds like a blast.

meddow

already pre ordered this end :D

but Ngamer (UK mag) says the local mplayer is broken with anything over 2 players, massive amount of slow down, it got 88% from them.

rhino4evr

I don't understant folks that insist on playing mariokart Wii with a regular controller. You've been playing Mario Kart on a regular controller for years, why did you buy a Wii in the first place? For motion controls. All the impressions Ive read is that they take time to learn, but are overall a lot of FUN. Wii Wheel All the way, if I wanted to play with a regular controller I d play Double Dash or one of the MK titles on the VC.

I mean excitetruck used motion controls, and it was bad ass.

AltogetherAndrews said:
We still post Eurogamer reviews here?

They are one of the better game review sites, and don't take scores too seriously, and do their research. Did they only give a game you like a 5 or something?

Ariexv

rhino4evr said:
I don't understant folks that insist on playing mariokart Wii with a regular controller. You've been playing Mario Kart on a regular controller for years, why did you buy a Wii in the first place? For motion controls. All the impressions Ive read is that they take time to learn, but are overall a lot of FUN. Wii Wheel All the way, if I wanted to play with a regular controller I d play Double Dash or one of the MK titles on the VC.

I mean excitetruck used motion controls, and it was bad ass.
Because some people didn't buy Wii for waggle but for the Nintendo games?

Michan

rhino4evr said:
I don't understant folks that insist on playing mariokart Wii with a regular controller. You've been playing Mario Kart on a regular controller for years, why did you buy a Wii in the first place?

Maybe they bought them to play more Mario Kart.

rhino4evr

But if you're starting to think you might be able to resist Mario Kart Wii, you need to think again. Because as soon as you see the Wii Wheel it comes packed with, you'll fall head over heels in love with it.

But that doesn't take into account Nintendo's incredible ability to mould plastic in such a way that it inspires feelings of happiness as soon as you pick it up. The Wii Wheel is ergonomically brilliant, satisfyingly solid and adorably chunky. There's a big fat B button extension underneath for hopping into a slide (or using an item if you opted for the mum-friendly auto-slide control scheme) which is much nicer than using the naked controller. You have a firmer grip, too. It doesn't actually do anything - and yet, using it changes everything.

Powersliding has been at the absolute core of the Mario Kart experience ever since the SNES game. Now that the d-pad-friendly wiggling of the DS game has been removed, sliding in Mario Kart Wii is all about controlling the perfect line with gentle, progressively applied counter-steer. That is far easier and more satisfying with the Wii remote than it is with a stick, and the gorgeous Wii Wheel makes it more enjoyable still.

I want two.

Wolves Evolve said:
They are one of the better game review sites, and don't take scores too seriously, and do their research. Did they only give a game you like a 5 or something?

"Do their research", now there is a good one. :lol

rhino4evr

Ariexv said:
Because some people didn't buy Wii for waggle but for the Nintendo games?

Well those people need to accept change.

I guess it's nice to allow the option, but I think it's silly for so many people to detest something that is the core part of the console.

I could use a cube controller for smash, but I am doing more then fine using the nunchuck combo. Sure it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it, but now I'm kicking ass. i think most people are just impatient babies that need something familiar to make them feel comfortable. I guess that's why so many of them still live at home with mom and dad.

Threi

notag
rhino4evr said:

I guess it's nice to allow the option, but I think it's silly for so many people to detest something that is the core part of the console.

I could use a cube controller for smash, but I am doing more then fine using the nunchuck combo. Sure it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it, but now I'm kicking ass. i think most people are just impatient babies that need something familiar to make them feel comfortable. I guess that's why so many of them still live at home with mom and dad.
4pct1.png

Ariexv

rhino4evr said:

The thing is while Motion control is fine for some games... for others it just can't compete with button pressing.... SSBB and Mario Kart are 2 of these games(imo). It's nice to have Waggle for Wii sports, but it shouldn't be shoved down our throats for every game. A choice between the different controller options is the best way to go I think.

Michan

AltogetherAndrews said:
"Do their research", now there is a good one. :lol
What's your problem? If you don't like EuroGamer, then you don't need to brag about it. Go back to reading your IGN, GameSpot, or whatever it is you choose to read.

There are many people who trust EuroGamer's opinions here.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Gigglepoo said:
No co-op GP is a drag but everything else sounds awesome. Even the wheel is fun? Can't wait!

Offline GP is still in, I think people said it even supported 4 player split screen GP, hope that's true.

so wait, when playing with tilt steering, how would you fire a shell backwards?

Gigglepoo

I'm going to at least try to play the game with motion controls. Excite Truck is awesome and I would like a seriously different alternative to standard Mario Kart. And if it doesn't work, I'm glad I have a choice. I don't know why some games (Okami) think it's smart to cut out standard controls.

levious said:
Offline GP is still in, I think people said it even supported 4 player split screen GP, hope that's true.

Sweet! I wasn't going to play online GP anyway.

rhino4evr said:
I want two.

And I'm not at all surprised they said all of that. Motion driving has been excellent in the Wii games I've played that use it (outside of the awful Data Design titles I've had the displeasure of playing, obviously).

A couple of quick examples: even a game like Disney's Cars that was widely panned had some truly excellent tilt driving, very tight and easy to steer. Then you have Excite Truck that did wonderful things with the loose/arcade style.

Assuming it works at least as well as these games did, which by all accounts (and from watching the MTV online footage) it undoubtedly does, I don't think I'll EVER bother with analog stick controls in this game. Why, when I can learn to play just as well with an input that is a shitload more fun to play with.

I think back to the Wii launch. I remember reading the reports of people playing Excite Truck for the first time at the Fusion tour Nintendo was doing, and later at GameStop's demo stations...and I recall the frustration people initially felt. "It's impossible to control, you tilt just a little bit and you're off the track!" I felt the same on 11/19 when I fired it up. Had the game offered a Nunchuk/GameCube option, I probably would have gone back to my comfort zone and tried that, maybe never looking back.

But it didn't, so I didn't...and after a few tracks' worth of playing, I fell in love with it and never again had any problems doing exactly what I wanted to do in that game. I hope that aforementioned attitude isn't prevalent among MK players, who might abandon the Wii's awesome unique advantages just to stay in their initial comfort zones.

Threi

notag
Gigglepoo said:
I'm going to at least try to play the game with motion controls. Excite Truck is awesome and I would like a seriously different alternative to standard Mario Kart. And if it doesn't work, I'm glad I have a choice. I don't know why some games (Okami) think it's smart to cut out standard controls.
That's the spirit. It won't kill you to at least try the alternative.

SupahBlah said:
They rated a Ubisoft game well, AltogetherAndrews doesn't forgive or forget.

That's most certainly not it. it's just hard to take a review site seriously after said site has been caught pushing blatantly false information in reviews.

Redd

As long as this version has the awesome baby Mario bros. insane never know who's going to win until you cross the finish line track this game will be mine.

Ariexv

Gigglepoo said:

Sweet! I wasn't going to play online GP anyway.
That's pretty much how I feel, If the motion controls are good more power to them. But they should never be something that's forced, Give us the same options for Mario Kart(and the future Super Mario/Zelda games that we had for Smash bros.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't understand the rationale for Battle Mode only using teams online.

pswii60

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's most certainly not it. it's just hard to take a review site seriously after said site has been caught pushing blatantly false information in reviews.
You still haven't got over their 6/10 for Resistance, have you.

daw840

OK, I am at work right now so I can't log on to any gaming websites (except this one ;)). When does MK come out in the US?

Top Bottom