• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No manboat gif?

4e44kPS.gif

For shame, oti.

With how eh Ireland has done in the past decade or so, it's surprising that we have won it more than everyone. I don't think we will win this year, but I hope for a nice high score since Terry Wogan passed away only recently.

Also I want this year to be more entertaining. The numerous ballads last time bored me.

Estonia and Latvia have the right approach imo, even if it's not a Eurovision-winning one. Aminata got tons of respect last year and there will always be a market for the artsy, "this song deserves better than Eurovision" crowd.

A performance like MNTHA's last year on Supernova could never ever happen at Melodifestivalen or Sanremo or Melodi Grand Prix, and it got all the way to the finals.

VXx0ywN.gif

Eesti Laul and Supernova are top-5 selection contests and don't get nearly the love that they should among the die-hards.

oti

Banned
Sometimes I do wonder though (like after listening to the German final snippets), why even bother? None of those songs can win, so why even bother? It's not as if we wouldn't know what works for Eurovision and what doesn't. Make it dramatic like Serbia/Austria, hip like Germany or Sverige pop like Sweden/Denmark.

I am going to try my damnedest to avoid looking at the betting odds this year, really sucks a lot of fun out of watching the show itself. Nothing has really stood out among the songs that have qualified so far, but we will see how it goes.

Jasup

It's been 10 years since the god, can anyone do better?

Not a chance.

Well not Finland, that's for sure. Ever since Lordi's win Finland has gone back to being its normal mediocre self.

There are some decent songs competing in the Finnish competition, but there is clear lack of stand out performances.

edit: that said, the second qualifying heat just started. We'll see how it goes.

MicH

Lighthouse X with Soldiers of Love just won the Danish song competition so they'll represent Denmark at Eurovision

Kinokou

With how eh Ireland has done in the past decade or so, it's surprising that we have won it more than everyone. I don't think we will win this year, but I hope for a nice high score since Terry Wogan passed away only recently.

Also I want this year to be more entertaining. The numerous ballads last time bored me.

It was a bit short on the cray cray yes :( But at least they had awesome capes, hope that trend keeps up this year.

I didn't really appreciate any of the Norwegian clips yet. Now I'm listening to the Denmark compilation and only the guys singing in Danish seem remotely interesting.

Jasup

Finland had a great chance to send the now stable Eurovision gimmick of teenage identical twins to the national finals. Sadly they didn't qualify.

oti

Banned
Updated the OP with Denmark, Austria, Italy and Switzerland

btw: how much of Denmark's live performance is playback? It sounds a bit too much like the studio version to be all live.

fuck yes eurovision. i really wanted to go to the final this year as it's always around my birthday and i'm hitting the big 30, so it would've been an awesome time but alas, those things sell out fast.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Slovenia will have a show to select this year's entry at the end of month, I think that it will be held on 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom