• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya not sure why people enter the selections if they don't actually want to go. Especially if the votes cost money.

Also ouch at the Ireland live performance. Hope he practices so he doesnt end up as FYR Macedonia did last year with a decent studio release but a horrendous live.

As a reminder of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6pjLRyKIpg #watchitforthebackup

re: Sanremo (Italy) and Stadio, it's complicated. Sanremo has been around longer than Eurovision - it was the inspiration for Eurovision - and for the most part it hasn't been used to select a Eurovision entry (in 2014 RAI selected Emma internally, for example). The winner has the "right" to be Italy's entry, but Stadio turned it down for whatever reason.

It sucks and it's dumb, but it's a somewhat different circumstance than a contest explicitly set up to select an entry, like Unser Song für Österreich or Melodifestivalen or Eesti Laul or something.

And apparently they might reconsider?

I think Sweden just sent the new winner to the finals. :)

edit: They took the videos of the finalists down??

wiktoria-star1-jpg-650x330.jpeg

Wiktoria could be a legit top-5 contender at ESC. Great song, great performance, amazing talent. The major problem is that voters tend to avoid voting for repeats, and the fact that Sweden would be sending another song that sounds similar to last year's winner would make things difficult.

Peru

The Norwegian scene is probably at an all time high in terms of solid, internationally appealing pop stars doing electro / dance pop, yet we field one of the weakest national finals in years. Even with a new showrunner who loudly announced his presence.

re: Sanremo (Italy) and Stadio, it's complicated. Sanremo has been around longer than Eurovision - it was the inspiration for Eurovision - and for the most part it hasn't been used to select a Eurovision entry (in 2014 RAI selected Emma internally, for example). The winner has the "right" to be Italy's entry, but Stadio turned it down for whatever reason.

It sucks and it's dumb, but it's a somewhat different circumstance than a contest explicitly set up to select an entry, like Unser Song für Österreich or Melodifestivalen or Eesti Laul or something.

And apparently they might reconsider?

Ah interesting, thanks for the clarification. Though I'd think at this point they'd have a bigger issue if they decided to take it since the selection committee got tired of waiting apparently? They should have just baked in a designated acceptance period like 72 hours or something. Although I guess the band didn't help by initially saying no, then saying maybe.

Wes

venison crêpe
Can't find the Wiktoria song anywhere.

Put a bet on Denmark at 75/1. It's too europop for it not to be top 10 at least so those odds should shorten a fair bit.

Grizzo

Funny how France is still considered as one of "The Big Six" when we haven't won since 1977 and have been hanging around the bottom of the scoreboard for many years now.

I can't wait to see which awful artist we're gonna send this year, after last year's Lisa Angell.

oti

Banned
Funny how France is still considered as one of "The Big Six" when we haven't won since 1977 and have been hanging around the bottom of the scoreboard for many years now.

I can't wait to see which awful artist we're gonna send this year, after last year's Lisa Angell.

You know that the "Big Five" are the "Big Five" because they pay the most money, right?

Grizzo

You know that the "Big Five" are the "Big Five" because they pay the most money, right?

Yeah and I still don't know why we do. There's no excitment like you can find in countries from Eastern Europe, no real buzz about the show. Plus it's obvious we're not in it to win it (I don't think anyone in France dreams about hosting the contest) :/

When France sent Patricia Kaas they legit wanted to win the contest. She's a great singer and is massively popular in Eastern Europe (where most important votes come from). But even that wasn't enough so now France just sends cheap and/or jokey singers.

oti

Banned
Yeah and I still don't know why we do. There's no excitment like you can find in countries from Eastern Europe, no real buzz about the show. Plus it's obvious we're not in it to win it (I don't think anyone in France dreams about hosting the contest) :/

Germany's just in there for the lolz.

Jasup

Can't get Horepse out of my head for some reason. Nice chorus but everything else is pretty flat.

For some reason this made me long for the turboethno days of Eurovision in early 2000's. Sure it got stale pretty quickly, but the endless barrage of generic pop music we have nowadays makes me wish for a lot more variety and a bit of local flare.

scamander

Banned
I just listened to the German candidates and the songs are all pretty disappointing. Keøma is usually great, but their song is just waaaaaay too slow for Eurovision. The rest is either utter trash or boring as hell.

...idk why but I kinda like the austrian song, it gives me Gourmandises-era Alizée vibes
KWRhIRy.png

i'll get over it by the actual competition, i swear

I watched Dansk Melodi Grand Prix today and it was very underwhelming compared to the snippets that I heard earlier (I didn't hear the full songs beforehand). The winning song is incomparably bad, like shockingly bad. Söngvakeppnin (Iceland's) continues to be really unfortunate, which is a shame given the degree of talent in the country. The contest had one of my favorite national selection songs last year, Sunday's "Fjaðrir".

I need to catch up on Hungary's, Ukraine's, and Israel's.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gosh darn it Ireland, is that the best we could do?

Byrne? Really.

It's a calculated 'let's do what won last year' knockoff/attempt. Which of course won't work, because the winner this year will be something totally different.

And of course, because Nicky Byrne wanted to do it, there was no competition for the song choice this year. And I'm sure Nicky Byrne being an RTE presenter didn't hurt either.

Nicky Byrne.

Unfortunately I guess westlife fans across Europe, or their remnants, will see to it the song at least does better than Ireland's typical performances in recent years regardless of the song's merits or demerits.

nOoblet16

The Romanian Dracula from 2013 was probably the most memorable performance for me from the past 5 years followed by "Alcohol is Free".

Although two songs were stuck in my head from the same year as 2013, Margret Berger's I Feed you my Love and The Danish song Only Teardrops that won...but that's more to do with the song itself.

spekkeh

Banned
GOAT

Let's just hope Portugal won't try to bore us to death again.

Flor-de-lis 'Todas as ruas do amor' is still one of my favorite Eurovision songs of all time. Though even that year I seemed to have been the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDHaVZt5j-w

Since you have Greek roots, I think you'll agree this thread could use more Eleftheria Eleftheriou.

Be still my beating heart, one day, one day.

After a few good years, this year I'm not expecting much from the Netherlands.

oti

Banned
GOAT

Flor-de-lis 'Todas as ruas do amor' is still one of my favorite Eurovision songs of all time. Though even that year I seemed to have been the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDHaVZt5j-w

Since you have Greek roots, I think you'll agree this thread could use more Eleftheria Eleftheriou.

Be still my beating heart, one day, one day.

After a few good years, this year I'm not expecting much from the Netherlands.

Eleftheria is cute. But have you seen Mando?
https://youtu.be/6NV8kjxkvUs

Greece got robbed that year.

spekkeh

Banned
Watching that song by Cezar again I even forgot that it lapses into dubstep at some point. From tryhard to gay opera to dubstep. What a shame it lost to those terrible other songs that year.

mclem

Well, Eurovision are tweeting about... something. Not entirely clear what, although it makes it "a lot more exciting". Mind you, given how these things usually go, that could simply be something like a new partner for the computing side of things!

F1TXsKE.png

When did we first hear about Australia's inclusion last year? Maybe it could be another guest country? Something to do with how the semis work?

Well, Eurovision are tweeting about... something. Not entirely clear what, although it makes it "a lot more exciting". Mind you, given how these things usually go, that could simply be something like a new partner for the computing side of things!

F1TXsKE.png

When did we first hear about Australia's inclusion last year? Maybe it could be another guest country? Something to do with how the semis work?

A bunch of things it could be; a lot of fans are speculating about China (!) potentially being included. They've shown interest in the past.

SVT, Sweden's national broadcaster, has also been very vocal about the shitshow that is the vote announcement, so it may be a change to the way that part of the show operates.

Sadly I doubt it will be an announcement that Morocco, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, and Kosovo are going to be competing this year and already have songs/performances ready to go :(
(or Turkey coming back)

addik

A bunch of things it could be; a lot of fans are speculating about China (!) potentially being included. They've shown interest in the past.

I remembered reading they already declined China from joining this year's Eurovision.

Fake edit: It's actually a tweet, but it said as of then (June 2015) that "there were no plans yet."

So I can see this being the announcement on China.

MrBigBoy

F1TXsKE.png

It's about the points system, they're going to change the way points are given.

Not a fan of the Austrian song, it doesn't go anywhere. Haven't really been impressed by much of what I've heard so far this year but this is the time I feel the pain of the rest of the world when I click youtube links and see "has not been made available to your country" =(

Not a fan of the Austrian song, it doesn't go anywhere. Haven't really been impressed by much of what I've heard so far this year but this is the time I feel the pain of the rest of the world when I click youtube links and see "has not been made available to your country" =(

life as an American during Eurovision season :(

god bless the broadcasters who make their competitions freely available to stream at any time worldwide, along with eurovision.tv's web tv portal

Spyware

Oh my, Avantasia! Send them, send them! I love them soooo much.

Melodifestivalen is in full swing and this year it's actually looking really good! The first heat was a lot of fun. I'm perched for the rest of the contest, and to see if Molly Sanden can (hopefully) be stopped.

We must have seen completely different shows :p First heat was so boring I can't even remember the one song I didn't hate. It's so unfair that four from that heat get to keep competing when Krista is out. She was better than everyone in the first heat. :( The last heat seems like it's more even. A couple okay songs and a couple of horrible ones, like it should be. But Molly will win anyway so meh.

life as an American during Eurovision season :(

god bless the broadcasters who make their competitions freely available to stream at any time worldwide, along with eurovision.tv's web tv portal

And some of it is at odds like SVT's youtube is blocked, but I can view the semi replay on their website =/.

Once things are actually selected there is no issue but the country selections can be tough sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom