• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen |OT| The Queen of Europe rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

It's that time of the year again which GAF loves and hates. The actual event is a month away so it's time to get to know the contestants, talk about past Eurovision's best and most absurd acts, post gifs, etc.

Wikipedia said:
The Eurovision Song Contest 2014 will be the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest. The contest will take place at the B&W Hallerne, in Copenhagen, Denmark, following Emmelie de Forest's win in the 2013 contest with the song "Only Teardrops". The shows will be presented by Lise Rønne, Nikolaj Koppel and Pilou Asbæk. For the first in the history of the contest, the trio of presenters will comprise of two men and one woman. This will be the third time that Denmark will host the contest, the last time being in 2001.

Thirty-seven countries have confirmed participation. On 10 May 2013 during the organizers press conference in Malmö, the executive supervisor, Jon Ola Sand, commented that he hoped for the return of countries absent from the 2013 Contest and that the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is in discussions with these broadcasters regarding their potential return. The dates set for the two semi-finals are 6 May and 8 May 2014, with the final planned for the evening of 10 May 2014, although the dates had been provisionally set for a week later. The reason that the contest has been brought forward a week is for the suitability of the current candidate cities.

This year's line-up:

Contestants / Semi-final 1:

Contestants / Semi-final 2:

Automatically in the final:

Previous threads:

2013 / 2012 / 2011 / 2010

Please tell me if some of the links above lead to wrong places.
Credits to FortuneFaded and Fritz for the OT title. :)

Jasup

Yes, thank you for this thread.

I'm ready

edit: And Valentina Monetta again... I guess San Marino was really impressed by her rendition of Social Network Song

Kanhir

I love how even the music video for Russia's song has a wind machine. You can't get more Eurovision than that.

Tugatrix

giphy.gif

I really hope that most of the songs this year matches what we (Denmark) is delivering, would be nice to have a good pop-Eurovision this year.

Thank you Austria for not letting me vote who we should send to the ESC. Best single chart place was 12 in Austria for an amazing time of 3 weeks. Well she won't be worse than our last entry but still we have so many musicians that deserve a chance - some sort of jury or open voting would have been the better way.

My prediction: We won't make the finals (as usual).

Denzar

I tip my hat to the person that came up with this thread title.

I don't very much care for Eurovision but I'm curious, why do France, Germany, Denmark, The UK, Italy and Spain get a free pas to go to the final?

Also, why does the Austrian Contestant have a beard?

Zeknurn

What's the ratio of less serious entries compared to last year?

I don't very much care for Eurovision but I'm curious, why do France, Germany, Denmark, The UK, Italy and Spain get a free pas to go to the final?

The core five because they pay for the whole thing and Denmark because they won last year.

Also, why does the Austrian Contestant have a beard?

Those countries pay the most so they get a guaranteed spot. Conchita Wurst is a travesty (?) artist in Austria. Her/his (not sure whats the political correct form) music is not my cup of tea. Last year we had a voting and she came in second place but still doesn't mean she should get a free pass.

Edit: too slow :)

Jasup

Those countries pay the most so they get a guaranteed spot. Conchita Wurst is a travesty (?) artist in Austria. Her/his (not sure whats the political correct form) music is not my cup of tea. Last year we had a voting and she came in second place but still doesn't mean she should get a free pass.

He's a drag queen, or drag artist.

Blablurn

Still havent heard the German song which made it lol. It feels like people stopped caring after Lena finally won it some years ago.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just another year where The Netherlands gets completely obliterated by songs that are actual good for festivals.

Our complete lack of understanding on what makes a good Songfestival song is beyond me, even if we were on the right track last year, completely gone again this year.

Denzar

The core five because they pay for the whole thing and Denmark because they won last year.

Edit: too slow :)

Alright, thanks dudes!

Kabouter

Just another year where The Netherlands gets completely obliterated by songs that are actual good for festivals.

Our complete lack of understanding on what makes a good Songfestival song is beyond me, even if we were on the right track last year, completely gone again this year.

And so many bitter people will say "Oh, it's rigged anyway, only Eastern European countries have a shot", which is probably why Scandinavia keeps winning.

FINALLY

YES

it'll be a boring year honestly, having watched all the entries

but #VoteAustria needs to be in full effect

don't let me down Europeans

soepje

Still havent heard the German song which made it lol. It feels like people stopped caring after Lena finally won it some years ago.
I don't think i've heard the Dutch song either. I think we stopped caring when we won back in back in 1976 :p

Clicking on the Portuguese song leads to the Netherlands one.

Can't wait to see Portugal lose one more time! Seriously, we have been participating for so many years and we still haven't won. I think we're the country that has participated more that is yet to win the ESC.

I don't think we'll get through the semi's.

Can't wait to see Portugal lose one more time! Seriously, we have been participating for so many years and we still haven't won. I think we're the country that has participated more that is yet to win the ESC.

here it is if you didn't already find it

there is no way portugal will make it out of the semis; you guys are probably going to have to fight to not be in last :/

Jasup

it'll be a boring year honestly, having watched all the entries

I've tried both watching all the entries and not watching anything before the live events over the years. While they are different experiences knowing the songs doesn't make Eurovision boring. Songs are just one part of the experience, performances are another.

When you know the songs, you tend to pay more attention to what's happening on the stage. And in an event where you have 3 minutes to make an impression and stand out, there's still plenty to see.

Daithi

Neo Member
I'm actually going to it this year (wife is nuts for it), got tickets to live semi final 2 (we're Irish) and the jury final which is on the Friday night.

Tugatrix

True, the closer we get was a 6 place with Lucia Moniz, and the song was very traditional, but no the following years what have we send? pop songs like the others

GCX

I like San Marino's strategy aka let's send Valentina Monetta again and again until she wins.

Peru

One thing I've been thinking about - isn't it actually a disadvantage to be automatically qualified for the final? If your song is popular enough to win, it'll qualify in the semi-final anyway, and performed a second time it will only grow on the voters.

Browny

Banned
An evening of drunk Terry Wogan...

Oh wait, he's not there?

I gleefully look forward to the UK coming dead last, and the Ukraine giving Russia all the points.

Jasup

One thing I've been thinking about - isn't it actually a disadvantage to be automatically qualified for the final? If your song is popular enough to win, it'll qualify in the semi-final anyway, and performed a second time it will only grow on the voters.

Most viewers only see the final and nothing else and vote based on that. Juries already know the songs well before the competition and having seen one or two performances makes no difference at that point.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
My only fear is that I play France's song too much that by the time of the final I don't like it anymore

Aiii

So not worth it
And so many bitter people will say "Oh, it's rigged anyway, only Eastern European countries have a shot", which is probably why Scandinavia keeps winning.

Well, can't expect too much from people that buy Sieneke albums I suppose.

raindoc

Thank you Austria for not letting me vote who we should send to the ESC. Best single chart place was 12 in Austria for an amazing time of 3 weeks. Well she won't be worse than our last entry but still we have so many musicians that deserve a chance - some sort of jury or open voting would have been the better way.

My prediction: We won't make the finals (as usual).

remember the last time the public got to vote?

track_apa.jpg

money well saved.

Hell yeah, not going to spoil myself by looking at stuff now, but looking forward to the crazy.
Same. Half the fun is having to balance the sensations of surprise, bafflement, shame to be European, and finding secret enjoyment in the campy nonsense. Knowing what's coming would hinder this for me.

kottila

Netherlands seems to love Anouk-styled music

edit: the French song is actually good, even if (or maybe because) it sounds exactly like Stromae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom