• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

From what I remember CEX stopped selling the goods but other places didn’t and there were still quite a few shops in London where you could get imported goods but slowly but surely the import scene just died off and shops were no more. Was a real shame!! I remember even picking up a couple of dreamcast imports in gamestation back in the day.

nintendo have been threatening import stores since the SNES days as far as i remember. konami did the same when MGS was released on PSX.

DVDs and Blu Rays have been region locked forever and I don't cry about it. In a perfect world things would be region free, but there's reasons for it to exist and I don't have a constant feeling of entitlement.

it begins.

Necrovex

And Microsoft too, I guess? I wouldn't be surprised if they had the 720 totally locked down.

Anyway. USA, are you ready to be fucked over by NOA again when the Xenoblade followup is due out?

There probably will be another Homebrew for Wii U by this point. Then I can have Nintendo go fuck itself with its region locking!

I am dissapointed. But it's not like I didn't expect it. So the dissapointment isn't really that big.

Still have it on preorder. And I will still enjoy it.

Mondriaan

With the shitty state of the industry, most niche titles might as well not even be released in the US. Region locking to block us from playing games well never get to buy locally is just pissing on a turd.
I don't think it's in Nintendo (of America)'s interests to pull in people who like niche games because ultimately that means less shelf space that can be safely allocated to first party evergreen titles.

The only glimmer that could possible be taken from this is that there are much greater chances of Wii U games getting localized because if you're going to make a Wii U game it's probably expensive enough to want to release globally.

Mondriaan

Bayo 2 was shown in all 3 conferences, so...

Most likely it will show up in Japan first, Europe second, and N.A. last (with months between launches) in order to reduce possible losses due to reverse importation (because they will still anticipate hardware being imported).

(N.A. will almost always be a last or maybe as far as Japanese published titles go.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The only glimmer that could possible be taken from this is that there are much greater chances of Wii U games getting localized because if you're going to make a Wii U game it's probably expensive enough to want to release globally.

definitely. Plus I hope the homebrew scene will be strong with this one. I remember buying Order Up! and it flawlessly worked with my UK Wii

arit

Well, I guess they sold me a release day unit in hope that it will be more vulnerable to hacks than coming revisions.

And I hope the 3DS is only secure because Nintendo feared the sale of counterfeit games via ebay and all.

Well, I guess they sold me a release day unit in hope that it will be more vulnerable to hacks than coming revisions.

And I hope the 3DS is only secure because Nintendo feared the sale of counterfeit games via ebay and all.

You think Nintendo is going to secure the 3DS, but be completely open on Wii U? The console where you can use any HDD or SD card to play games? If you thought the PS3 was tight the Wii U is going to be a nightmare. Hopefully it's popularity brings a region dislock hack fast though

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

my guess is that the DS piracy was so incredibly widespread they didn't want another rom heaven with the 3DS

Tain

The region locked confirmation pretty much means I'll have to wait for Bayonetta's release to assess the libraries of each region and buy a system.

Sucks, I was looking forward to getting caught up in launch mania.

I was sort of surprised when I saw how many replies this thread had, since it was already a foregone conclusion.

Then I remembered that region locking is a horrible, anti-consumer practice, and that Nintendo deserves every bit of criticism they get for it.

Doesnt matter to me since I dont play impoted games.

Importing is something I've only done a couple times over many years, but just because we won't necessarily use it doesn't mean we shouldn't have it. If NoA acts like dumbasses again this gen and refuses to localize a bunch of titles that Europe gets, then region free can be very nice if those are games you're interested in.

HardRojo

Sony allows region locking on the PS3.

What publishers have used it though and with what games? Besides Atlus with Persona 4 Arena that is.
Edit: Microsoft allows region locking too, I was under the impression that the Xbox was partially region locked so in actuality it is in the same position as the PS3?

I was surprised with the 3DS but not the Wii. Nintendo home systems have never been region free.

Same here, I still have my DS lite and DSi and they proudly play japanese copies of 4th gen Pokemon games, Jump Ultimate Stars and some others.

jcm

What publishers have used it though and with what games? Besides Atlus with Persona 4 Arena that is.
Edit: Microsoft allows region locking too, I was under the impression that the Xbox was partially region locked so in actuality it is in the same position as the PS3?

Lots of 360 games have been region locked, but only 1 ps3 game has been. Clearly they both have the ability to do it, but for whatever reason it's much more common on 360.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Well this is definitely a dissapointment there's a reason why the only japanese games I own are for the PS3. It's Nintendo that lose sales. Will still get american Wii U day 1.

Point was, that it isn't against Sony's certification rules to stop it. They allow it in a sense that if they didn't, a game would fail their third party cert and not be allowed to be released. But since a game came out, they said it was allowable.

Conan-san

Don't care.

You shouldn't either!
Oh my god you're right. I pledge eternal devotion to our new lord and master, the Berlin Wall!

My his holy division of culture in the pursuit of money forever guide us to perfections

PS: Blow it out yer tubes.

Sardello

In my viedeogaming life, started nearly 25 years ago, I bought an import game... 2 times.

- Ouendan
- PES for Game Cube

Where is the drama? You really buy so many games localized in japanese only? How many games can be played when you don't understand a word? How many important blockbusters don't launch in your home country?

I don't understand all this buzz

With Nintendo releasing their Mario and Zelda games on the same day worldwide, the only games I'm interested in importing are anime games like Jump Superstars, and those are few and far between. This isn't too big of an issue for me. Back in the GC days, it was, but not really now.

I wonder how many people here would even buy it if was region free. I'm sure we would still see plenty of "That's cool, but I still don't see a reason to buy one." posts. Yeah it might suck to not get a few games but using this as an excuse to get angry at Nintendo again when some people have no intention of buying the system is stupid.

There must be some difference in the policy because 360 has a crap load of region locked games and ps3 only has a single locked game. The psp also has no region locked games and neither does the vita.

Top Bottom