• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

Boney

Banned
sigh~

homebrewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

There's a reason I never gave up on my OG DS lite.

But the DSi is region free for DS games.
I guess you'd be missing out on B&W japanese import, but the superior handheld more than makes up for it.

i tend to assume it's that, can't imagine another reason, is the thing. DSi was when they started out with some digital content, right? maybe that was a part of it?

I'd wager pressure from retailers regarding their handhelds really.

Strange that they decided to make the DSi region locked.. it all started there..
I think for them to go back to region locking is probably related to the fact that the hardware is directly connected to your "account" on the e-shop.
They probably don't want people to buy games from e-shops from other regions so they took the simplest way and locked the hardware altogether.

But the DSi is region free for DS games.
So is the 3DS from what I understand.

Region locking should be up to publishers, not hardware owners. I have no objection to region locking when it's done for real reasons (different publishers in different regions, differences in releases dates, etc). But a blanket region lock policy is dumb. Microsoft did it right with 360.
So you prefer pro publisher over pro consumer policy?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honest question, if you're that bothered about the region lock, why not import like I'm going to?

I don't know, the easier solution would seem to be to not buy the system in the first place until (if it happens) somebody else removes the region locking.

Personally it doesn't really affect me (because I'm not buying one) but its total horse shit. There really is no defense for this kind of garbage - although some people are certainly trying.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i tend to assume it's that, can't imagine another reason, is the thing. DSi was when they started out with some digital content, right? maybe that was a part of it?

Some physical games were region locked. Some would add little DSi exclusive features just to region lock the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Expected, but disappointing.

Perhaps moving to Europe early next year and this will certainly cause some problems. I suppose I'll still buy a Wii U in the US for my US Wii games but with the higher European price I'm not sure if I want to invest twice. Hopefully someone will find away to circumvent the region lock.

Takao

Banned
I thought the whole point of having blu-ray tech was (i) having 25GB disc space and (ii) having region-free games.

There's nothing inherent to Blu-Ray that allows region less releases. As mentioned by others, movies on Blu-Ray can be region locked. It's just that the weirdness regarding Blu-Ray regions has made that well, weird. There's also nothing inherent to DVDs that prevent region free releases. The Xbox 360 uses DVDs and has many region free games, as well as there being region free movies.

Tain

Completely expected, and more horrible than it's ever been thanks to the presence of the online services.

Honest question, if you're that bothered about the region lock, why not import like I'm going to?

Owning two systems sucks. Getting a domestic one would be cheaper in the long run and would allow me to also get games not released in Japan. If there is a single title that I want to play yet cannot play without buying a second system, regardless of the first region I pick, fuck Nintendo for this decision. Microsoft didn't do much better.

As tiny icing on the cake, Nintendo has made some weird publishing decisions, like straight-up cancelling the Japanese release of Days of Ruin.

Rational part of me knew it would be region locked, but I was hoping that it wouldn't. Oh well... I guess, I'll enjoy Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate, and wait for some sort of region free soft mod so I can enjoy the games that Nintendo will inevitably leave in Japan.

jcm

Region locking should be up to publishers, not hardware owners. I have no objection to region locking when it's done for real reasons (different publishers in different regions, differences in releases dates, etc). But a blanket region lock policy is dumb. Microsoft did it right with 360.

"We'll only screw you sometimes" is not doing it right.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Expected, but disappointing.

Perhaps moving to Europe early next year and this will certainly cause some problems. I suppose I'll still buy a Wii U in the US for my US Wii games but with the higher European price I'm not sure if I want to invest twice. Hopefully someone will find away to circumvent the region lock.
Welcome to Europe (well, not yet, but soon anyway ; )

For the record - I used to have one dreamcast from each region. I suggest you start considering similar schemes ; p

Joni

There's nothing inherent to Blu-Ray that allows region less releases. As mentioned by others, movies on Blu-Ray can be region locked. It's just that the weirdness regarding Blu-Ray regions has made that well, weird.

Even stranger: Blu-Ray games can be locked to different regions than Blu-Ray movies. There are only three Blu-Ray regions: Europe/Africa/Australia; Americas/Japan and Russia/China/PiracyTheCountry. Atlus managed to lock Persona 4 Arena so Japan and America are seperate. Makes you wonder if they used some custom coding for it.

bomma_man

The day there's an Australasian region is the day I start importing absolutely everything. Although I'm not sure it's hold up in court, considering how blatantly anti consumer it is. There's already a lot of discontent over the disparity between the value of our dollar and the prices we pay. Whoever takes the plunge could face a bit of a backlash unless they drop the RRP of games by $40 bucks.

Dead Man

Those reasons are no more real than any other. They exist to maximise publisher/distributor profit, and to prevent distributors actually having to compete with each other.

Caelestis

If they wouldn't put a region lock I would have may be actually considered getting a Wii U, but now I'll wait a couple years and see. It's such a pain knowing how NoA loves to play with our hearts by not releasing what we want until it's too late or not releasing things at all.

Hilarious and embarrassing reactions in this topic. This isn't even news, it's like me telling you a 3D Mario game will come out for the Wii U. Nintendo would never have a region free home console.

Trolls are just using this as an excuse to have a go at Nintendo. Most of these people having their nerd rages won't even have planned on buying a Wii U anyway. As if someone would hold out on buying a console on the basis of it being region free or not.

Maybe it´s not news for you people who puts corporate interest before consumer interest. The only embarrassing reactions are those people who are defending or dismissing Nintendo´s anti consumer behavior.

Yes very smart. You guys act like Nintendo is a multi market business like Sony or MS. Gaming is all they do and they need to be careful how its managed much more than Sony and MS.

Yeah, poor Nintendo. Who´s going to protect them from these blood thirsty consumers?

liger05

From 2002. Nintendo take this shit seriously.

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/...ile-site&ns_source=cvg&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

London game importer The Computer Exchange (CEX) has stopped selling import Gamecubes after Nintendo apparently threatened the company with legal action over the sale of the machines. According to ground-level sources, the move came almost immediately after confirmation of European launch details from Nintendo on Friday.

CEX is now no longer selling Gamecubes. We contacted one of the retailer's stores today and were told the console had been pulled from shelves due to action from Nintendo.
CEX's head office has been quick to clam up on the subject. "We are currently in legal proceedings with Nintendo, so we cannot comment on the matter," said marketing boss Jonathon Cronin. "That's all I can tell you."

Nintendo Europe promised comment today, but failed to deliver at the time of writing.
Three other UK importers we spoke to today – Raven Games, The Videogames Centre and Jag-Tec – had heard nothing from Nintendo, and were still selling imported Gamecubes. Would they follow CEX's lead if Nintendo came calling? "I'd take them off the shelves I guess," said a spokesperson for one of the stores who wished to remain unnamed. "This thing happens every time a new console comes out. I think Nintendo probably have a right to do it to a certain extent, but normally they don't bother.

From my point of view it can't see that it does them any harm, really. It just creates a bit more awareness. People that go into CEX, or here, or various other places, get to see it earlier than they would have done."

Other retail sources, speaking under conditions of anonymity, were less than pleased this afternoon. "They've done absolutely no advertising in the UK yet and CEX has made people aware of Gamecube," said one. "Why would they do this?"
Hopefully Nintendo should be able to answer that question tomorrow. Stay tuned, Cube fans.

meppi

I know Sony were hot on it as well. For some reason I just remember reading that nintendo were really hot on it as well and issued legal warnings to retailers telling them to stop selling imported goods. Maybe i'm mistaken.

Nintendo certainly didn't condone importing of games, no doubt about it. But from the import shops I use and frequented back in the day when we had local ones, they never got any threats from Nintendo as they received from Sony. Even the domestic focussed shops that I went to on a weekly basis mentioned that they didn't dare to sell imports for those reasons.
This actually goes back to the late Saturn/early Dreamcast days as well.

For some reason Sega never bothered with it at all. They seemed to be happy that people would buy their games and enjoy them without worrying about which division got the money in the end.

Kyoufu

Nintendo certainly didn't condone importing of games, no doubt about it. But from the import shops I use and frequented back in the day when we had local ones, they never got any threats from Nintendo as they received from Sony. Even the domestic focussed shops that I went to on a weekly basis mentioned that they didn't dare to sell imports for those reasons.
This actually goes back to the late Saturn/early Dreamcast days as well.

For some reason Sega never bothered with it at all. They seemed to be happy that people would buy their games and enjoy them without worrying about which division got the money in the end.

I worked at CEX when we got modded Gamecubes in and we were indeed told not to sell them by Nintendo.

Fox Mulder

If they wouldn't put a region lock I would have may be actually considered getting a Wii U, but now I'll wait a couple years and see. It's such a pain knowing how NoA loves to play with our hearts by not releasing what we want until it's too late or not releasing things at all.

With the shitty state of the industry, most niche titles might as well not even be released in the US. Region locking to block us from playing games well never get to buy locally is just pissing on a turd.

Seik

Banned
This is not really surprising, since they seems to be doing things this way since a while.

Still, bad news is bad.

liger05

I worked at CEX when we got modded Gamecubes in and we were indeed told not to sell them by Nintendo.

From what I remember CEX stopped selling the goods but other places didn’t and there were still quite a few shops in London where you could get imported goods but slowly but surely the import scene just died off and shops were no more. Was a real shame!! I remember even picking up a couple of dreamcast imports in gamestation back in the day.

What o you think blanket region locking is? It is no different to region locking you seem to say is acceptable.

DVDs and Blu Rays have been region locked forever and I don't cry about it. In a perfect world things would be region free, but there's reasons for it to exist and I don't have a constant feeling of entitlement.

meppi

Modded naturally since those would be able to play bootlegs and in most cases were used for just that.
I'm talking about original, unmodded Japanese systems. At least in the case of the examples I gave before.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I can understand why publishers want to region lock their games to protect their regional pricing (EA Sports games on Xbox 360 are region locked for instance), but it's very frustrating when a publisher region-locks their very niche game with no plans to release in another region (Idolm@ster, Operation Darkness, etc). With the choice to region-lock or not to region-lock on the 360, Japanese publishers of niche/Japanese focused titles still decide to region-lock.

Dead Man

DVDs and Blu Rays have been region locked forever and I don't cry about it. In a perfect world things would be region free, but there's reasons for it to exist and I don't have a constant feeling of entitlement.

Oh dear lord. The reasons for it to exist are for companies to create de facto monopolies. If you are fine with that then that is one thing, but don't act like you dislike this for the style of implementation when your argument is basically one of companies rights.

Still don't see how region locking isn't price fixing and illegal but whatever. This is one of the areas where Sony is doing it right, but I fear what'll happen one the next console.

Top Bottom