• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

tkscz

I never got the big deal with region locking. So I can't play a Japanese game on my US WiiU, no skin off my back.

Aeana

I wish it wasn't such a hassle/expensive to get a JP system in North America.

I never got the big deal with region locking. So I can't play a Japanese game on my US WiiU, no skin off my back.

The next step is to imagine that you did care about that, and then you would get it!

Ath

I despise region-locking in any form whatsoever. Especially since there has always been a massive disparity with localised games on Nintendo consoles between regions. As long as Nintendo get their precious domestic money in, they probably couldn't care less about other markets. The sooner it gets circumvented the better.

Would be nice if someone (like I dunno, a games journalist) could actually question a NCL executive about this, since they're the only ones who actually seem to have any decision-making powers in Nintendo. But that's never going to happen.

Ugh, I'm not normally this bitter, but anything regarding region-locking does that to me.

It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.

Disappointed but it was to be expected really...
I hope homebrew comes to the rescue at least at the end of its life-cycle, constant FW updates will make it unfeasable until then, like with the 3DS.

I'll go with PAL, NoE has been awesome this generation at least, let's hope they keep it up!

tkscz

It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.

And that has to suck for those of you who care for this sort of thing, but I don't. Not to sound rude or anything, but again, no skin off my back.

Aeana

And that has to suck for those of you who care for this sort of thing, but I don't. Not to sound rude or anything, but again, no skin off my back.
I'm not sure why you're bothering to tell everybody that it doesn't matter to you. The default state for gamers in a region is not caring about region locking. This affects the people who do care. Pointing out that you don't just makes you seem incapable of empathy.

Linkhero1

The good thing that comes out of this is that the homebrew scene will definitely accelerate. Can't wait to see how fast the Wii U is hacked.

Well look, the people who come in here and say that are basically posting that "who gives a shit" gif and running. Not that you're doing that, but it's what it feels like.

I can read Japanese very slowly. That puts me in the minority. But I still want the ability to play games in Japanese, for practice, or because a few franchises I like, like SRW, and a number or other quirky games will probably never come out here. So I'll have to put down an initial investment of $500 to play Japanese games on a system I'll already have. It's ridiculous.

Fox Mulder

I don't think it's in Nintendo (of America)'s interests to pull in people who like niche games because ultimately that means less shelf space that can be safely allocated to first party evergreen titles.

people that buy niche games are the ultra core that follow everything about the industry and spend lots of money on games, even paying to import them. No one has to to localize and allocate shelf space to an obscure japanese RPG if it won't sell, just allow people that want to play it to do so. Seems pretty stupid to turn those people off.

RoyalFool

Banned
It sucks, but coming from the era of 50hz borders and no squaresoft stuff - It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. NoE used to need help just putting socks on in the morning, now I hear all the Americans envying our demos etc which makes a pleasant change, and Monster Hunter and Bayonetta are both confirmed for Europe which is the main thing people would have been worried about.

Having said that, they have absolutely no excuse for region locking the handhelds, those be sacred lines they are crossing and I still secretly hope the 3DS crashes and burns because of it.

Aeana

How anyone couldn't see this coming is beyond me.
Everyone saw it coming.
But it's like when you just know you got an F on an exam. You know you failed it, but getting it back and seeing it on the paper still makes you feel worse. Tiny glimmers of hope completely extinguished.

HD-VHS

Banned
Region locking on home consoles has been the norm for over 20 years now. DVD/Blu Ray players, too. Why are you guys not used to this yet?

Tain

Region locking on home consoles has been the norm for over 20 years now. DVD/Blu Ray players, too. Why are you guys not used to this yet?

The big change this time is the online marketplace. If this were a generation or two ago, I'd say "sucks, but I'm sure I'll be able to get around it eventually."

This isn't the case anymore. In 2012, it's more along the lines of "sucks, now I'll have to get two consoles."

This is on top of how utterly fucking ridiculous it is that I'm buying a console that won't play all games made for that console.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Region locking is the one thing I can never forgive Nintendo for, to be honest. There's no reason for it to occur other than some really petty release schedule regulation bollocks, or to prevent piracy or whatever half-baked excuse. It boggles my mind that a company actually won't let me give them money for games they make and already released in other countries.

The Wii generation gives me even less confidence that this will turn out well, considering the number of highly sought-after games Nintendo have produced, published or funded and gone out of their way to not sell in other countries. It was bad enough that it caused a relatively small but hugely dedicated portion of the fanbase to literally beg and plead for Nintendo to release some of these games in their country. Such a small gap between customers waving money at the company, pointing out an already existing product they want to buy, being ignored! It's beyond reason!

We're used to it, but with some newer hardware not having such restrictions automatically, those of us that have used the opportunity to import realize how much of a plus it is to have that option and play some great titles that don't get localized, and will ask the question of new hardware moving forward. Also, those of us who circumvented older systems to play these titles would like to be able to do so without added cost or risk of hardware warranty.

How anyone couldn't see this coming is beyond me.

Sucks, but was inevitable.

That was actually my first reaction until I started realizing that not region locking hardware/software is apparently not as unheard of as I previously thought. I'm not really into the scene, so I don't pay much attention to this feature, but apparently the PS3 is region-free? And some 360 software is? My apologies for probably offering redundant info/questions, I just bring this up because a quick and lazy Google search shed some light that a gut reaction "how is this news?" type of question wouldn't actually be as insightful as I had thought.

Tain

That was actually my first reaction until I started realizing that not region locking hardware/software is apparently not as unheard of as I previously thought. I'm not really into the scene, so I don't pay much attention to this feature, but apparently the PS3 is region-free? And some 360 software is? My apologies for probably offering redundant info/questions, I just bring this up because a quick and lazy Google search shed some light that a gut reaction "how is this news?" type of question wouldn't actually be as insightful as I had thought.

Yes, the PS3 is region-free and the 360 is mostly region-free. The DS was region free, as was the PSP, as is the Vita.

And in the past, you could mostly modify consoles to play imports without worrying about losing out on online play and the digital marketplace. That's no longer the case, making the desire to get rid of these nonsense restrictions even stronger.

Well, to me it was pretty obvious because it's Nintendo. It's been the norm for them for the most part, so I found it difficult to be optimistic from the start.

rpmurphy

The big change this time is the online marketplace. If this were a generation or two ago, I'd say "sucks, but I'm sure I'll be able to get around it eventually."

This isn't the case anymore. In 2012, it's more along the lines of "sucks, now I'll have to get two consoles."

This is on top of how utterly fucking ridiculous it is that I'm buying a console that won't play all games made for that console.
In this day and age, the region lock of physical media is so much less annoying to me than the region locking of digital storefronts. For me, importing was always prohibitively expensive, and the possibility of bypassing all those middle-men would have been awesome.

Well, to me it was pretty obvious because it's Nintendo. It's been the norm for them for the most part, so I found it difficult to be optimistic from the start.

Yeah, you might have been looking at it from a different angle than me. My first reaction was mild confusion as to why this was a big deal. Not that I enjoy anti-consumer activities or can't empathize with people who care about importing software, but I was mainly thinking that this was pretty standard across the board. I remember that being the case during the PS2 and PSX days without modding the hardware, and hadn't even realized that the tide was turning on this front.

Yes, the PS3 is region-free and the 360 is mostly region-free. The DS was region free, as was the PSP, as is the Vita.

And in the past, you could mostly modify consoles to play imports without worrying about losing out on online play and the digital marketplace. That's no longer the case, making the desire to get rid of these nonsense restrictions even stronger.

The PS3 is not region free. It is mostly region free. The Vita is region free but the region settings are tied to the memory card, not the system.

Tain

The PS3 was region-free until P4A, meaning that P4A needed to go out of its way to check region. It is shitty, and it sucks that it's even possible, but the console was designed to be region free, wasn't it?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its worth mentioning that Freeloader and other region loading and trick Action Replay-esque discs made region locked consoles such as the Gamecube and I believe the Wii play nice in the past. With new age security in place however, such easy hops and skips over the region barrier code line are no longer possible, and it becomes a full on issue as with the 3DS.

Since this is the console where Nintendo is finally wading in waist deep with online, theres a lot more functionality to lose with hacking as well. Wanting this to be region free more than any time before is of no surprise, so the "HUH, WHO CARES" crowd can stop trying to cushion this shit with eye rolling "but what does it really matter" sentiment.

If Nintendo wanted to have their cake and eat it too, they could have gone the Vita-esque route and have the console only ever be set to one region which you choose at start-up, but can obviously have multiple family accounts on there. That then gives consumers the actual choice of jumping through hoops with factory resets and the like to access international content without locking it out forever. But since their fanbase at large gives them a free pass on this issue, they'll never feel forced enough into caring to provide such solutions.

Dead Man

Blu Rays are not often region locked, DVD players are region free in Australia, and the last home console released is almost entirely region free for disc based games. Yeah, why would people not be used to this yet?

It is obvious there was a short lived but popular trend against region locking by manufacturers, that seems to be reversing, not just with this announcment, and that is disappointing. It shouldn't be hard to understand.

The PS3 was region-free until P4A, meaning that P4A needed to go out of its way to check region. It is shitty, and it sucks that it's even possible, but the console was designed to be region free, wasn't it?

Keyword "was" as in past tense. If it was designed to be region free then every single game released for the system would have no region lock. Also, Blu-ray movies are region locked on the PS3 as well. I'm pointing out that you can't talk in absolutes and allow for exceptions.

Tain

I'm fine with "was" or "mostly," sure. I'm even better with "the PS3 is entirely region-free save for one release."

I'm not used to it. Sony is passed it for their last three consoles, and MS doesn't mandate. It's only nintendo that's stuck in the old ways.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pity for the consumers who cares about this for sure. I dont import many games myself, but i dont mind to have region free of course. I recently imported Dokuro for Vita, and it is good that i could play that without any problems. But i also understand the business decition behind region locking, even if it can suck for the consumer.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
That sucks lol. Nintendo is saving me some money with that decsion. Now, I can afford the ps4 more easily.

I really hope this comes out on the vita, psp, or Ps3! I love monster hunter, but not Wiiu at the moment unfortunately lol. If not, I might just get it on the 3ds."]I really hope this comes out on the vita, psp, or Ps3! I love monster hunter, but not Wiiu at the moment unfortunately lol. If not, I might just get it on the 3ds.

Will most likely come to the vita of ps4 aswell. If not, I might have to buy a Wii-u........nevermind. One game does not influence my purchase unless it is of great quality....i hope it comes to the vita...

Would you be sad if Nintendo left gaming only leaving MS and Sony in the SWHW market?
On handheld, yes. On console, no.

Edit: handheld, no aswell. The develops can just migrate those new IP to the superior vita, which will be great.

Only willing to pay $100-$200 on a Wii u.

Oh yea, I bet the Region Lock is what killed it for you. You were so enthusiastic before.

Dunan

Well look, the people who come in here and say that are basically posting that "who gives a shit" gif and running. Not that you're doing that, but it's what it feels like.

I can read Japanese very slowly. That puts me in the minority. But I still want the ability to play games in Japanese, for practice, or because a few franchises I like, like SRW, and a number or other quirky games will probably never come out here. So I'll have to put down an initial investment of $500 to play Japanese games on a system I'll already have. It's ridiculous.

Or, should I say, in Japanese: 。

There is no excuse for publishers to deny potential customers access to games in languages that they can read just because the customers don't reside in territories where those languages are primary.

The "sales rights in differing territories" arguments doesn't work. You can still buy books from any region in the world, in any language in the world, and have them on your shelf, can't you?

I have books published in North Korea on my desk. But according to Nintendo, I can't ever have a game from South Korea on my desk, because I should only be buying a Wii for Japan, the country where I live, and games that Nintendo allows to run on that Wii.

I suppose the next move is for internet providers to only allow people to read and post in the primary language of their territory. We could use IP adresses to check! Would that be something you pro-region-lock people wouldn't care about?

Top Bottom