• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite acting in a scene ? (SPOILERS)

ExInferus

I couldn't find a clip of the scene but Vic Mackey's confession in the second last episode of The Shield is just amazing.

What stood out to me in particular was the moment before unburdening himself. 1 minute of silence, but his face tells everything about the memories he has repressed and his made-up truths.

I couldn't find a clip of the scene but Vic Mackey's confession in the second last episode of The Shield is just amazing.

What stood out to me in particular was the moment before unburdening himself. 1 minute of silence, but his face tells everything about the memories he has repressed and his made-up truths.
Ronnie screaming what about me Vic was great. Everything involving Shane.

God that last season is perfect.

Sojgat

heman17.gif

Frank Langella - Masters of the Universe

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This scene from Elephant Man with John Hurt, Hannah Gordon and Anthony Hopkins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgeEiHCDaI Gordon is pretty much portraying me while I'm watching this scene. Not my all time favorite acting maybe, but I love this scene and so many great ones have already been posted. It's also my favorite Lynch film.

The whole movie is just total A+ work. Its devastating and heartfelt like few other movies and yeah I'd agree its Lynch's best film even if I like some of his other stuff better.

creatchee

I like the football speech in Any Given Sunday.

It might be more the speech than Al Pacino, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSDhhZtRwFU

You're not wrong, but I would go further and say that it's the sum of everything going on, both in the scene itself and everything that had happened in the film up until that point.

First, you have the direction and editing. As is expected in an Oliver Stone movie, purpose exudes from every framing and cut. Take note of specific words and references in the speech and what/who is shown onscreen and how it is portrayed. As seen in other Stone films, there's this thing he does where an actor is speaking, yet it shows a different shot of them emoting or reacting to somebody else rather than the words coming out of their mouth. There are uses of negative space which I can't quite explain but feel perfect for the moments they are used in. Overall, it's a beautifully shot and cut scene.

Then there is Pacino. When the scene begins, you see the "weight" he's been carrying for so long before he even says a word. His posture and composure shows a man who has been beaten down by both the game and his own life - both of which through extensive fault of his own. Notice his cadence at the start versus the ending. He begins in a moment that is not alien to him - where the odds are against him and he's already been taking punches before the bell had even rung. However, this time, he is going to fight. Even more importantly, this time he's going to care at a level almost alien to him - it's from the perspective of somebody who had everything, lost it all and is trying to fill the emptiness of that loss rather than somebody who had never had anything and was trying to achieve greatness for the first time. It's an important distinction and one that usually only comes from age and trial over the course of lifetime. He wants to impart that knowledge and feeling to his players, whether they can actually understand it or not, so that maybe when they do achieve greatness, they will cherish it and remember where it came from rather than take it for granted as he had.

There are other little things too - watch how Pacino uses something as simple as a rolled up piece of paper to compliment his performance. Look at the difference between him nervously fidgeting/sliding his fingers across it while opening up about his failings and later where he uses the paper to point to Willie as if to impart confidence and readiness (although I'm unsure if that was actually something that happened or if it was a visual representation of Willie internalizing the coach's words - a slight foible with the editing that I had previously lauded).

I could probably go on, but I'll stop. I love this scene so much. It's definitely one of my favorites from any movie.

Ralemont

not me
The whole russian roulette scene from Deer Hunter
LBkYvUB.jpg

The whole movie really, but this scene and also this understated scene with Christopher Walken breaking down when he can't remember his parents' birthdays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaXteVh8y4k

There are a couple things that get me about this scene. Walken's breakdown is so restrained compared to something you might see today. It's neither a long dead-eye stare nor a hair-pulling fit of wailing. It's how I imagine a normal person might act trying and failing to keep it together. Also the interrogator staring at him dead-faced waiting for answer drives home just how many people were broken in that war, as if he's gotta do this shit all day, all week, all year, so what's another young man crying in front of a stranger?

Top Bottom