• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite acting in a scene ? (SPOILERS)

Lex Jr. In BvS. Pretty much any time he's onscreen.

I absolutely believed his personal beef with superman and I personally found him to be a really compelling "evil zuckerburg" type villain. Guy masterfully manipulated public opinion to the point where Batman dehumanized and almost fucking murdered him.

Wonderful trolling.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Wire has so many incredibly acted scenes I'm not even sure which one to list. I will say one that really got me personally was the scene where D'Angelo thinks WeeBey is going to kill him after he gets picked up for a drive to some mystery place. The entire scene is WeeBey just shooting the shit and D'Angelo trying so hard not to shit his pants and all culminates in him walking into a dark room where he closes his eyes and accepts his ending... only for Weebey to turn on the lights and reveal that he wants DeAngelo to take care of his fish while he is in prison. Shit was INTENSE and The Wire is full of incredible scenes like this. Basically just watch The Wire.

IC5

Give me a minute to rewatch all of Mad Men and Men of A Certain Age, so that I can list dozens of scenes.

Alicia Vikander slays it in A Testament of Youth. Many standout scenes. It's been awhile, but one I can confidently point out, is the first time she has to sponge bathe a person. (it's actually a rag, not a sponge).

ItIsOkBro

so we have colin farrell feeling cocky and confident that john won't kill him because pre-crime didn't see it

and then, the alarm goes off

giphy.gif

idk it's small but he really sold the look of someone thinking they're about to die

Numb

That Mexican chick freaking over her cheating boyfriend and proceeds to beat the shit out of the culprit who is a girl in a wheelchair and also including the boyfriend and half the hospital staff

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That Mexican chick freaking over her cheating boyfriend and proceeds to beat the shit out of the culprit who is a girl in a wheelchair and also including the boyfriend and half the hospital staff

We aren't psychic. List the name of the movie or show at least lol

So many amazing actors, so many amazing scenes - where does one begin?! Might as well go with something stupidly underrated:

Spoilers-spoilers-spoilers, Captain Flint, Black Sails' finale episode - Flint's iconic speech is now one of my favorite moments of television, ever. Equally brilliant is Flint's final scene,
kudos to Toby Stephens and Rupert Penry-Jones for portraying the devastating weight of a ten year parted reunion without saying a single word,
but there is no clip on Youtube that isn't a fan-vid.

How the fuck did Toby Stephens not get an Emmy nomination.

So many of Flint's scenes are phenomenal, but so spoilery for the series. This is not as spoilery - Flint speaking of 'Flint'. Not spoilery as such, but Flint speaking of Odysseus. There's not a lot of the show to link to on Youtube, sadly.

(Starz, your advertising department continues to be terrible, and taking down everything on Youtube so people don't have any scenes to link to when trying to get people to watch your damn show doesn't help, either! At least HBO know that passing great clips around helps to draw in viewership.)

Louis Herthum in Westworld. No spoilers, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpxraIr36zI

Dude kills it while sitting there stark naked acting against Anthony Hopkins.

I remember watching that scene for the first time with my jaw nearly on the floor in surprise. Then I promptly rewound it. Superb.

The Wire has so many incredibly acted scenes I'm not even sure which one to list. I will say one that really got me personally was the scene where D'Angelo thinks WeeBey is going to kill him after he gets picked up for a drive to some mystery place. The entire scene is WeeBey just shooting the shit and D'Angelo trying so hard not to shit his pants and all culminates in him walking into a dark room where he closes his eyes and accepts his ending... only for Weebey to turn on the lights and reveal that he wants DeAngelo to take care of his fish while he is in prison. Shit was INTENSE and The Wire is full of incredible scenes like this. Basically just watch The Wire.

Here is one I always digged with Ziggy.

Louis Herthum in Westworld. No spoilers, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpxraIr36zI

Dude kills it while sitting there stark naked acting against Anthony Hopkins.

One of the best recent examples is "that scene" in the first episode of Westworld. The scene where Dolores's dad is talking to the scientists from the park. That scene just sucked me in and sold me on the series. Such a powerful scene. It gave me goosebumps.

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

youtube link of the scene

Ha! Both of you had the same thought.

I'd also add Hopkins' conversation with Sidse Babett Knudsen (Theresa in the show). Dude kills it.

Edit: this one here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ4QPCgZflk

Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride is a damn treasure. He adds humor, coolness and drama and this one scene near the end when he finally gets his revenge is so powerful, it made even himself cry when he watched it at the premiere.

https://youtu.be/d5TiaQeuNO0

The mirroring of the injuries, including the ones given to him when he was a child and those final words.... cuts deep (no pun intended).

(There's a weird cut where I think an unrelated scene was edited out, been a bit since I've seeen the flick to remember exactly)

My all-time favorite from a pure acting standpoint is probably the informal processing scene between Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master. The portrayal of the psychology of the characters through even involuntary actions is incredible.

FeD.nL

Dominic Cooper - The Devil's Double

I cannot find the clip of the exact scene online but the entire film is worth a watch just for Dominic Cooper's performance. In the film he plays both Uday Hussein as well as his body double Latif Yahia.

In the particular scene he tries become Uday as best as he can as Latif but he gets frustrated that it feels off. It's so amazing to see Dominic juggling Latif being frustrated, Latif nearly pulling off a convincing Uday and finally him pulling off a convincing one but still subtle differences to the performance he's giving as the 'real' Uday.

I've watched the film a number of times now, and even though the film itself is alright, Dominic's performance just elevates it to something great. Really one the most underrated performances of the last decade.

sytadel

giphy.gif

Doesn't say a word, and he exudes sheer chaotic menace. You just know he's ready to kill all his acquaintances, and keep the money for himself. Fucking genius

TrutaS

The entirety of The Hours is full of the best performances from Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep. It's absolutely perfect in every sense, every word memorable and perfectly played.

I have to throw Max Schreck out there for his unbelievable body language in Nosferatu.

I'm not sure I can point out a specific scene but talk about nailing it.

Max-Schreck-4.jpg

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I had to think pretty hard about this but the one scene I keep coming back to is the end of The Revenant, the fight between Hardy and Dicaprio. Dicaprio is good here but it's Hardy who absolutely blows me away here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtd-DmAZyY&feature=youtu.be

The way he delivers his lines, especially "You came all this way for your revenge huh? Well you enjoy it Glass, cuz nothing is ever gonna bring your boy back". Perfection! And when he says "Well maybe you should have rasied a man, instead of some girly little bitch"...fuuuuck! So good. I love this scene so fucking much. Tom Hardy should have received an Oscar for this imo.

I had to think pretty hard about this but the one scene I keep coming back to is the end of The Revenant, the fight between Hardy and Dicaprio. Dicaprio is good here but it's Hardy who absolutely blows me away here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtd-DmAZyY&feature=youtu.be

The way he delivers his lines, especially "You came all this way for your revenge huh? Well you enjoy it Glass, cuz nothing is ever gonna bring your boy back". Perfection! And when he says "Well maybe you should have rasied a man, instead of some girly little bitch"...fuuuuck! So good. I love this scene so fucking much. Tom Hardy should have received an Oscar for this imo.
Loved him in this flick. I love that when I think of great Tom Hardy scenes, he's acting with movement along with the dialog. Not just close-ups and facial expressions. Like when he's mumbling under the load of pelts in this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah8KVy0AkGU

I wouldn’t ever be able to say that one scene is the best (or one film/game/song in general) because there are just too many to be able to choose form but this scene in Black Mirrors 15 million merits is absolutely fantastic.

I remember being glued to my seat watching the scene and just being blown away. I really need to get round to seeing Get Out, Daniel Kaluuya is going to be a huge star im sure.

Budi

This scene from Elephant Man with John Hurt, Hannah Gordon and Anthony Hopkins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgeEiHCDaI Gordon is pretty much portraying me while I'm watching this scene. Not my all time favorite acting maybe, but I love this scene and so many great ones have already been posted. It's also my favorite Lynch film.

Top Bottom