• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Reading this thread at work

Killing me

FF games aren't particularly long (except for FF12) but that seems pretty short.

Cutting out inane bullshit, most FF games would hover around that amount of time. There's lots of additional optional content, mob hunts, and places to explore. And being on Easy probably made the fights a little quicker than usual.

jett

D-Member
It is around $65-$68 AFAIK.

Not bad.

Cutting out inane bullshit, most FF games would hover around that amount of time. There's lots of additional optional content, mob hunts, and places to explore. And being on Easy probably made the fights a little quicker than usual.

I guess. Below 30 hours still seems shorter than any FF game I've played since FF4. Maybe the dude was indeed rushing.

Just something I enjoy?
My question was: what does 'story' encompass to you? Setpieces too? Quality of dialogue? The setting/lore? Characters? How important is plot?

For instance, FF XV maybe has a terrible plot but could have endearing characters and great memorable setpieces.

Point is, 'story' is a really vague term to use to describe all those elements. Knowing Final Fantasy, not all of those elements will be great, and some will probably be terrible. Also, not all of those elements will be equally important to everyone.

That's why I asked you what elements of 'story' you have the highest hopes for in FF XV.

Yeah, especially if you replay past FFs and know where to go etc and don't want to 100%/clear them they don't take too long. Even without "speed-running" at all you can beat something like FF7 in under 24 hours quite easily. I think its quite good that XV seems to have content there if people want to invest in it more. They did say the story should take about 40+ hours (I'm assuming on Normal) and it seems like fully exploring everything adds quite a bit.

Slixshot

Banned
8 1/2 days to go...I'm slowly dying of anticipation...I'm so curious as to what Noctis and his friends' adventures will be like, that I'm thinking about jumping into the Spoiler thread...I must resist...

Be strong, bro. Imagine how satisfying it will be to not know much of anything and to discover a fantastic game all on your own.

rhino4evr

I personally don't have the time these modern rpgs and open world provide. 100 hours in any universe starts to become repetitive and tiring. A 30 hour campaign is actually making me more excited

ThankeeSai

This will be my first ever FF game. Never really had any interest as the turn based shenanigans put me off.

Have watched a few videos of this and it looks very interesting. Got my pre-order in with simplygames so hopefully I'll get it before release. Can't wait to get stuck in :)

Not bad.

I guess. Below 30 hours still seems shorter than any FF game I've played since FF4. Maybe the dude was indeed rushing.

I think random battles make a JRPG inherently longer.You can skip fights in XV by simply seeing them from a distance and walking away, and since he was on Easy the dude could tank a bunch of shit from enemies double his level.

Compare that to WoFF, where, even on auto battle, you are looking at lots of stupid fucking battles, intro animations, turns, and whatever else comes up.

Yeah, especially if you replay past FFs and know where to go etc and don't want to 100%/clear them they don't take too long. Even without "speed-running" at all you can beat something like FF7 in under 24 hours quite easily. I think its quite good that XV seems to have content there if people want to invest in it more. They did say the story should take about 40+ hours (I'm assuming on Normal) and it seems like fully exploring everything adds quite a bit.

Trying to play older RPGs is difficult. I'm all for tighter experiences with any game in my late twenties, so long as the content is good.

Gbraga

As somone who saw the guy playing, he skipped driving as much as he possibly could. If he was playing the whole game that way, can you even say his playtime reflects the entire main story, with the way this game handles its narrative during car rides and exploration? It seems like you can't skip drives to places you haven't been to, but for example I'm imagining you can teleport back to Hammerhead after going to the Insomnia border, which would really completely kill the mood and storytelling, but would save time.

Has there been any news on the PS4 Pro support from early copies? I know Judgement Demo has some options and the Dec. patch is coming but still curious what we're looking at for Day One.

As somone who saw the guy playing, he skipped driving as much as he possibly could. If he was playing the whole game that way, can you even say his playtime reflects the entire main story, with the way this game handles its narrative during car rides and exploration? It seems like you can't skip drives to places you haven't been to, but for example I'm imagining you can teleport back to Hammerhead after going to the Insomnia border, which would really completely kill the mood and storytelling, but would save time.

I'm generally a big fan of fast travel in games like this, but the addition of banter (and old FF music) while traveling makes me feel like skipping the drive would take away from the game.

artsi

I'm generally a big fan of fast travel in games like this, but the addition of banter (and old FF music) while traveling makes me feel like skipping the drive would take away from the game.

Yeah I never skipped driving in JD. Great chance to feel the old soundtracks, lol.

Gbraga

Fast travel will definitely be useful for post-game content and just clearing up the maps, but I feel like you'll definitely miss on a lot using it for main story stuff.

And not just the story, even gameplay systems. Why would you ever use the chocobos (that look fun as hell to use) when you can just teleport by paying an insignificant amount of gil? There's a whole customization system to the chocobos that becomes completely irrelevant with it.

I feel like this is one of the rare cases of these things being added for the convenience of people who just don't want to waste their time, instead of being the core of the game's design. The quest markers were definitely part of the design, given some quests don't tell you where to go at all aside from the markers, but
I was pleasantly surprised to see that you have a car cam if you open the big map while driving. You can look at where to go, which turn to make without having to stop everything in order to do so, looks like a "we got your back" for people who don't want to look at a minimap the whole time :p

Not to mention driving to key points during story sequences also results in a lot of banter between the brothers, some of which might be critical to the explanation of the story. Skipping it kills the sense of adventure IMO.

Gbraga

Not to mention driving to key points during story sequences also results in a lot of banter between the brothers, some of which might be critical to the explanation of the story. It kills the sense of adventure IMO.

Absolutely, the mentions of "very little story" are really weird, even for the first few chapters, compared to what I've seen. It's only true if you only consider cutscenes to be story.

Remember Nomura's talk of "playable cutscenes" in the Versus days? That's kind of one way of doing it. Another would be that dumb thing where you can walk around in a closed environment while people talk to you, but can't go too far or skip the scene. I hope there aren't many of these in FFXV, but I'm sure there will be a couple. Devs seem to love that shit. "Interactive" storytelling.

duckroll

Let's not kid ourselves. The majority of players will be using fast travel if it is available. No one really wants to run or drive back and forth between areas just to report quests or hit story flags to progress in the game. Banter and stuff in a vehicle is cool for people who are into the "simulate a road trip" thing, but not everyone is going to be into that and it's clearly not vital to the game if there is an option for fast travel in the first place.

neoemonk

I'm going to platinum this game, so I'm sure it will take me more than 20 hours. I haven't looked up a trophy list yet because I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

Absolutely, the mentions of "very little story" are really weird, even for the first few chapters, compared to what I've seen. It's only true if you only consider cutscenes to be story.

Remember Nomura's talk of "playable cutscenes" in the Versus days? That's kind of one way of doing it. Another would be that dumb thing where you can walk around in a closed environment while people talk to you, but can't go too far or skip the scene. I hope there aren't many of these in FFXV, but I'm sure there will be a couple. Devs seem to love that shit. "Interactive" storytelling.
Critics love it too, apparently. Judging from the score given to Uncharted 4, which was full of it.

Mifec

Let's not kid ourselves. The majority of players will be using fast travel if it is available. No one really wants to run or drive back and forth between areas just to report quests or hit story flags to progress in the game. Banter and stuff in a vehicle is cool for people who are into the "simulate a road trip" thing, but not everyone is going to be into that and it's clearly not vital to the game if there is an option for fast travel in the first place.

When the drive timer tells you that it's gonna take 5 mins I'm sure most people will just say fuck it and fast travel.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm going to platinum this game, so I'm sure it will take me more than 20 hours. I haven't looked up a trophy list yet because I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

Is it difficult or grindy like FFXIII?

Gbraga

Sure, and I don't mind that they will, but I don't think it's fair to use that experience of skipping as much content as possible to call bullshit on the devs' average playtime estimate.

People should always take it with a grain of salt and try to find how your personal times usually relate to that. The way I usually play, I tend to take a lot longer than devs say their games last, sometimes to a fault, where I get bored of the game before reaching the end, despite having twice the amount of time necessary to reach the end.

About being vital to the game because you can skip, I suppose you are right, but you can also skip cutscenes, and I don't think anyone would disagree that you're not fit to judge the game's story if you skipped all of them on your first playthrough. This game tells a large amount of its story through in-game dialogue, if you skip all that, you also can't say you've experienced the entire story. It's like people who play through Souls games without reading a single item description or paying attention to NPC dialogue and are adamant that there's not any kind of story in the games.

You can skip everything, and I'm really really glad that you can, since I think it adds to replay value, but you can't skip everything and then complain that there's no *insert content you just skipped*, or that it's not as long as it probably will be for people not playing on easy and skipping everything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of bans, why are some people banned but still have their avatars? I've noticed that sometimes their name is greyed out but they still have it. Just wondering~

A banned user not retaining their avatar is a bug. It doesn't indicate a perma.

Burbeting

Banned
I've finished almost all FF games in 25-28 hours without rushing at all. The exceptions were FF12 (it just has monster amount of content even in main story) and 13 (always spent more than necessary time in pulse before proceeding). So less than 30 hours seems like par the normal course.

Oh boy. Went to my local sainsburys(Brighton) and asked about a FFXV sign that said 'coming soon'. The bottom of the sign had a display date of the 18-22nd Nov. Somehow the lady mistook that for the actual release date and told me shed keep a copy behind the counter for me tomorrow. If this all goes well il have a copy tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom