• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

Oh wait. I forgot about the Judgment demo. I guess I can play that on Pro in the meantime. Too bad about the language options.

Speaking of bans, why are some people banned but still have their avatars? I've noticed that sometimes their name is greyed out but they still have it. Just wondering~

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just read through the thread over the Verendus impressions controversy.

In all honesty, he'd make a great PR person for Microsoft.

I am surprised we still have no legit full game impressions! From what I can tell the spoiler thread is basically a circle jerk of negativity over out of context spoilers from random parts of the game. Verendus lied. And no streamers have said much.

In the meantime I am meant to get on with my life as if nothing has happened????? #FFfanproblems

PSY・S;225178626 said:
Oh wait. I forgot about the Judgment demo. I guess I can play that on Pro in the meantime. Too bad about the language options.

It's fairly easy to figure out, i did a run through on the day it dropped without using a guide, but now there are plenty out there!

As someone who tried really hard to get into FFXIV. I am sorry to say but it is overrated. Maybe it is fun with friends but playing it Solo was a dull experience.

I even purchased 3 months sub to try it and never managed to find the strength to go back to it.

I'm not sure how far you got, and i did find the base game to be very worthwhile personally, but all the post launch support is really superb and just keeps getting better and better. Heavensward is probably my favourite MMO expansion and one of my favourite bits of Final Fantasy story telling. The characters, themes and arcs were all just superb. Gorgeous music and sound too. The base game does have a strong start, but the story kind of meanders for awhile until you hit level 45 or so. It picks up strongly for a strong climax, and then continues strong through most patches and updates.

FF14 certainly has its weak spots too, but overall its a really great MMO and a really great Final Fantasy game. If anyone looking to get into it feels a little overwhelmed, the GAF guild on Ultros is a great place to start.

Wow a recommended video on utube just spoiled a boss fight with the title...when I clicked to remove it I saw it wasn't even recommended based on a video I saw before...

JBwB

Now we're back in "wait n see" mode, and I'm feeling kind of pessimistic. The crash was hard.

If you haven't seen this post then it should make you feel a little more optimistic in regards to the game.

Hey guys. From a well-known and respected someone who's reviewing the game and wants to clear the air, but needs non-attribution.

1: The game is excellent. No one needs to panic.

2: Verendus's description of chapters 3-5 is what's off here.

Mods, feel free to PM me for proof.

It may or may not be as good as Verendus described, but at least we know that people are finding the game to be good rather than bad.

bigmac996

It's fairly easy to figure out, i did a run through on the day it dropped without using a guide, but now there are plenty out there!

I'm not sure how far you got, and i did find the base game to be very worthwhile personally, but all the post launch support is really superb and just keeps getting better and better. Heavensward is probably my favourite MMO expansion and one of my favourite bits of Final Fantasy story telling. The characters, themes and arcs were all just superb. Gorgeous music and sound too. The base game does have a strong start, but the story kind of meanders for awhile until you hit level 45 or so. It picks up strongly for a strong climax, and then continues strong through most patches and updates.

FF14 certainly has its weak spots too, but overall its a really great MMO and a really great Final Fantasy game. If anyone looking to get into it feels a little overwhelmed, the GAF guild on Ultros is a great place to start.

I had a great time with the main game, but once I hit level 50 I was pretty much finished. None of the late-game grinding for armor parts appealed to me at all. Do the expansions offer anything for someone who would just want to pickup at 50 and continue the progression?

I had a great time with the main game, but once I hit level 50 I was pretty much finished. None of the late-game grinding for armor parts appealed to me at all. Do the expansions offer anything for someone who would just want to pickup at 50 and continue the progression?

Oh i totally get that. Its why i can't play any MMO these days for more than a few months at a time. I always go back the next time there has been a content patch or two and fall in love for another few months again though.

Heavenward offers a superb story, its storytelling and themes are quite a bit different from the base game. It ups the level cap to 60 and adds 3 new classes. It does require you to finish all the story content from A Realm Reborn and its patches (i believe 2.55 being the last one) before venturing into the new content, but most of the story content is pretty excellent, especially if you're not rushing it. If you've not played in awhile (EDIT: in awhile as in near launch), just resubing now will likely give you a ton of content to play through. You don't need to worry about gearing up or anything like until you get to Heavensward end game, they smartly replaced some of the drop rewards to make it more powerful so theres no grind.

My biggest issue with XIV is that the duty finder content (PUGs) for the raids is honestly a little too easy but to get into a good savage static (raid group) is a little too much of a time commitment. I always wished there was something kind of in the middle.

There is also crafting and gathering, Triple Triad, Gold Saucer, Lord of Verminion, PVP. Housing, Chocobo racing and breeding etc.

I don't want to come across like a shill for the game, I just quite enjoy it and I think a lot of people who are Final Fantasy fans would too. It has a lot of nods and references to the classics, from subtle themes and story elements to older characters actually showing up. It does this while still very much retaining its own identity, which is nice.

I've also been unsubbed for the game for awhile and am starting to miss it quite a bit, I'll probably resub after the holidays.

btuger

Neo Member
So, I just realized that the season pass on the PSN is an upgrade for those who preordered the digital version. Does that mean it won't be available to everyone?

Edit: Apparently, it will be available at a later day for everyone else.

How can a boss fight last 10 hours??
Are you able to save in middle of the battle?

It's not new for FF games. I remember back at uni when my best friend and I pulled an all-nighter to defeat Yiazmat in FFXII. I won't have time to do that again with XV, but I'm glad the option is there for today's students =P

Verendus' impressions actually got in my head and screwed with me. For one glorious night I was preparing myself for a new GOAT title, listening to the music and watching trailers, knowing it was confirmed to be the greatest realization of what I was hoping for.

Now we're back in "wait n see" mode, and I'm feeling kind of pessimistic. The crash was hard.

The important thing here is that press previews have been incredibly positive for the most part. If you're a fan of this kind of game, then chances are extremely high you're going to love it, regardless of whether the game has a metascore of 90 or 70.

barybll

Banned
It's not new for FF games. I remember back at uni when my best friend and I pulled an all-nighter to defeat Yiazmat in FFXII. I won't have time to do that again with XV, but I'm glad the option is there for today's students =P

The important thing here is that press previews have been incredibly positive for the most part. If you're a fan of this kind of game, then chances are extremely high you're going to love it, regardless of whether the game has a metascore of 90 or 70.

Press previews and review scores were also positive for ffxiii and we all know how that went

To be fairly honest, reviews for FF games means jackshit

Patrick S.

Banned
Any word if the Xbox One version got any improvements to the blurry resolution or performance? I don't have a PS4 and really wish to know if I have to get one to play this properly.

Falk

that puzzling face
Any word if the Xbox One version got any improvements to the blurry resolution or performance?

Improvement in relation to what? Seems a huge difference from Gamescom going by the XB1 Judgment Disc, but I'm not sure where your frame of reference is.

MilkBeard

I am surprised we still have no legit full game impressions! From what I can tell the spoiler thread is basically a circle jerk of negativity over out of context spoilers from random parts of the game. Verendus lied. And no streamers have said much.

In the meantime I am meant to get on with my life as if nothing has happened????? #FFfanproblems
Honestly, people sitting in the spoiler thread are probably made up of those who don't really intend to enjoy the game, but the controversial it brings. I wouldn't pay much attention to them, honestly.

That is, I'm just assuming. But there are people that are thirsty for controversy, and they'll jump at anything.

That's what I was hoping might change. I tried the Platinum Demo, and sadly I found the blurryness to be really distracting.

The image quality and performance were quite a bit improved on the PS4 in the Judgement Disc demo vs Platinum, thankfully. Judgement Disc is available on Xbox One, sadly only in Japanese. You can give it a try though if you like, it'll be more representative of the final game. There are guides out there if you're concerned about the language barrier, but its not too tough to figure everything out, just experiment.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly, people sitting in the spoiler thread are probably made up of those who don't really intend to enjoy the game, but the controversial it brings. I wouldn't pay much attention to them, honestly.

This is initially what I figured - much of the people who are anticipating the game would steer well clear of any/all spoilers and discussions, leaving only the diehard fans who absolutely want to get the story as early as possible vs the cynics who don't care about being spoiled in the first place and want to vindicate a negative opinion.

This seems to be true on e.g. stream chats and 4chan.

The spoiler thread here surprisingly civil in general, though.

That's what I was hoping might change. I tried the Platinum Demo, and sadly I found the blurryness to be really distracting.

Right, there have been massive visual upgrades since Platinum Demo. Heck, there have been visual upgrades since footage shown in August/September on the same scenes at the beginning of the game etc. You could check out the Judgment Disc demo if you're willing to jump through some hoops w.r.t. region. It's much more representative of the game.

edit: beaten, heh

Patrick S.

Banned
Right, there have been massive visual upgrades since Platinum Demo. Heck, there have been visual upgrades since footage shown in August/September on the same scenes at the beginning of the game etc. You could check out the Judgment Disc demo if you're willing to jump through some hoops w.r.t. region. It's much more representative of the game.

edit: beaten, heh

Thank you and jacob armitage for your answers. That sounds reassuring :) I'm having this internal debate going on in my head if I should put my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga up for sale to help finance a PS4 to enjoy this game on, but if the Xbox One version is good enough I'll probably not do that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If you haven't seen this post then it should make you feel a little more optimistic in regards to the game.

It may or may not be as good as Verendus described, but at least we know that people are finding the game to be good rather than bad.

Oh, I'm sure by this point that it will be a good game.

But that's somehow a step-down from "greatest game of the generation", "second best FF of all time".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My local PS Trophy Hunters Facebook group created a challenge: Whoever platinums FFXV the fastest gets a $20 PSN card.

Unfortunately someone already has the game, he's residing in KSA. :/

Pretty sure one's opinion on this will be similar to the one you have on MGS4.

Or, to elaborate: how much you enjoy games that compensate their obvious flaws with ambition, originality and variety.

The EDGE preview described gameplay elements that are sure to annoy some people, but they're wonderfully distinct nonetheless.

With a franchise that's so many things to so many people, there will always be vocally disappointed people, but I'm sure this entry will bring plenty of new fans to the franchise and old fans back into the fold.

I must've missed Kagari's post. So...MGSV? :(

Story picks up steam after Chapter 5 according to stuff from the Spoiler thread. I don't think we have something on the level of MGSV by any means. Also, this person said "Very little story" so far when they were on Chapter 3 of 15 (the person that Kagari was referencing). There's a lot more to go through.

kurahador

Story picks up steam after Chapter 5 according to stuff from the Spoiler thread. I don't think we have something on the level of MGSV by any means. Also, this person said "Very little story" so far when they were on Chapter 3 of 15 (the person that Kagari was referencing). There's a lot more to go through.

I see, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom