• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV demo only comes with first shipment of FF Type-0 HD "Day One" copies

HeelPower

Playing both simultaneously and varying the speed of each... this will keep me occupied until at least Monday.

OMG LOL YOU GAVE ME IDEAS

I opened multiple tabs of these videos and now there is a "Please Be Excited" and "Please Understand" orchestra in the background.

I am bursting in laughter at Uni while everyone is trying to study..

If anyone can be creative and make videos of this shit it would be amazing X'D

GAF is all the therapy I need

but Gaf can often hype you up.

The purpose of these videos is only the opposite(in a therapeutic way)

Despera

Banned
I think most people's issue here is the price.
It aint just the price. It's a combination of a number of factors.

Using the FFXV demo is definitely viewed as a business opportunity to sell Type-0 at an unreasonably high price. And in order to make sure the first batch sells through fast they added a time-sensitive element to this incentive, trying to push those skeptical of the deal's value to make a rushed decision out of shear excitement.

In my humble opinion, SE could have used this opportunity to generate some good faith, not necessarily by making Type-0 extra cheap and the demo available to the public for free, but by at least normally pricing Type-0 and not putting a limitation on the bundled demo's accessibility.

zashga

Meh. I'm not really feeling Type-0 at $60, so I guess I'll pass. Getting the FFXII demo with an awesome game I wanted anyway (DQVIII) was awesome. This time around, I'm not super jazzed about the game or the demo on offer.

Wagram

It aint just the price. It's a combination of a number of factors.

Using the FFXV demo is definitely viewed as a business opportunity to sell Type-0 at an unreasonably high price. And in order to make sure the first batch sells through fast they added a time-sensitive element to this incentive, trying to push those skeptical of the deal's value to make a rushed decision out of shear excitement.

In my humble opinion, SE could have used this opportunity to generate some good faith, not necessarily by making Type-0 extra cheap and the demo available to the public for free, but by at least normally pricing Type-0 and not putting a limitation on the bundled demo's accessibility.

I don't think they really give a crap about anyone's good faith. They're a business, and they want your money.

Mr Git

On the listing on Shop to it says,

SPECIAL BONUS CONTENT
Final Fantasy XV demo
Titled FINAL FANTASY XV -EPISODE DUSCAE- the demo includes elements from the opening sections of the full game, but alters story progression and more to create a unique first-play experience.
The demo is activated by a digital download token included with every copy of FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD.

Is their information old then? Or is SE just casually lying?

UrbanRats

I don't think they really give a crap about anyone's good faith. They're a business, and they want your money.

Gaining "Good Faith" is also a valuable business move, just a long term one, instead of trying to rack up all the cheap cash you can in the immediate terms.
Of course had they understood this, they wouldn't have made the million mistakes that led them here as a company, this past generation.

Bazztek

Banned
A brand new copy of the PSP version of Type-0 on Amazon ranges from $50 to $75 not counting shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DUI3A0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QBKZOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

When it originally released in Japan the standard version was ¥7,700, roughly $64 USD now, which at that time was roughly $97 USD.

If they did release Type-0 in the west on the PSP back then, it would have been $60 brand new at that time anyway, this game wasn't originally released in the west and they are releasing it as if it's still the first time it's coming to the west, because it is.

Taking that into account its price makes sense to me.

I feel like this wouldn't be the first time I bought something just for the FF demo....

It wasn't Tobal or Brave Fencer Mushashi though and I just double-checked the wikis.... I'm thinking, maybe it was my actual PS1? I think the reason I bought my PS1 when I did was because it came with that FF VII demo disc... same disc also had playable Bushido Blade and a FF Tactics video. Pretty sure that's why I bought my PS1 a month or two before FF VII release... just for the VII demo lol

Omega

Banned
not sure i get the complaints.

What, you should get the FFXV demo a year later when KMart has the game on clearance?

A brand new copy of the PSP version of Type-0 on Amazon ranges from $50 to $75 not counting shipping.

When it originally released in Japan the standard version was ¥7,700, roughly $64 USD now, which at that time was roughly $97 USD.

If they did release Type-0 in the west on the PSP back then, it would have been $60 brand new at that time anyway, this game wasn't originally released in the west and they are releasing it as if it's still the first time it's coming to the west, because it is.

That's how I'm looking at it.

Chris_C

Well, locking the demo behind a purchase means I'll be waiting to get this. I'm excited about the game, but I can't overlook their recent form.

Famassu

What does the price of Type-0 matter?

They shouldn't be holding the demo hostage to first-print copies.
Why shouldn't they reward customers who buy it early? Lots of games offer betas and such for pre-orderers/early buyers and there's nothing wrong with that. Sucks to be you if you're one of those people who never wants to pay full price for anything yet still feel entitled to everything, but I think it's nice when publishers value their more loyal and enthusiastic fans with things like the FFXV demo, especially when it comes at no extra cost.

MogCakes

I've been wanting to play type-0 anyway, so this is a non-issue for me. Still, would have been nice if the XV demo was made available through PSN for a limited time and not locked to the first edition print.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How wierd will it be if day one codes are hard to come by, but the demo still isn't released...

FFXIII demo included with Advent Children Blu-Ray.

FFXII demo included with Dragon Quest VIII.

FFX demo included with Final Fantasy VI.

FFVII demo included with Tobal No. 1.

Philippo

How wierd will it be if day one codes are hard to come by, but the demo still isn't released...

That's exactly how it's going to turn out, i hope at least we get a date before the game releases, so i'll choose if such a deal it's worth for (because fuck i don't want to get the game day 1 and then wait three months for the demo).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nerdy clarifications:

FFXIII demo included with Advent Children Blu-Ray.
In Japan.

FFXII demo included with Dragon Quest VIII.
In western countries.

FFX demo included with Final Fantasy VI.

In PAL territories.

In North America, that demo only came in Official U.S. PlayStation magazine. It was really just a trade show demo repurposed as a consumer demo anyway. But then again, so was the FFXII demo that came with DQVIII in North America/Europe/Oceania.

Neff

Times change.

Back then, the only way to distribute a demo was to either include it with another game or print a separate disc. With the current console ecosystems, you can distribute it digitally at little to no cost and reach a much wider audience.

Don't think for a moment that high-profile demos weren't included with those games purely to help boost sales. The exact same thing is happening here. It works and always has worked.

Game prices are always higher in Japan though, you can't compare them that way.

NateDog

Games in Japan are significantly higher than elsewhere though. Even compared to places like mainland Europe where games on PS3 / Xbox 360 normally hit €60-€70 throughout its central years Japan's prices were / are still fairly high.

Vashetti

Banned
Why shouldn't they reward customers who buy it early? Lots of games offer betas and such for pre-orderers/early buyers and there's nothing wrong with that. Sucks to be you if you're one of those people who never wants to pay full price for anything yet still feel entitled to everything, but I think it's nice when publishers value their more loyal and enthusiastic fans with things like the FFXV demo, especially when it comes at no extra cost.

"Never wants to pay full price for anything"

In what twisted reality do you exist in? Believe me, if I had the money, I'd pre-order the PS4 Collector's Edition of Type-0 HD without a moment's hesitation.

I want to buy this, I just know that in all likelihood, I won't be able to afford it at the time. How dare you insinuate that myself, and likely many others are not "loyal and enthusiastic" fans just because we literally cannot afford the firstprint edition of this game, and gain access to a demo which is only limited to the initial release. A demo to a game that I imagine millions of people are excited for. How dare you insinuate that it is only the people who buy the game on day 1, for full-price are 'true fans'.

It's absolutely fine to reward people for purchasing the game on day 1, but locking that content away from anyone else who cannot afford the game on day 1, or within the firstprint period of the game, is a very scummy practice. They know exactly what kind of hype FFXV is generating, and they know exactly what they are doing by locking this demo behind only the initial release of Type-0 HD -- they are generating manufactured hype because they don't have the confidence that Type-0 HD will sell well enough on its own.

I have never seen a more apt tag for a poster on this forum. You are a prime example of why the majority of modern gaming companies consider it OK to screw over their consumers.

Deft Beck

I will not buy Type-0 if it is as mediocre as people say.

I figure that most people will just watch a playthrough of the episode on YouTube.

Muffdraul

Nerdy clarifications:

In Japan.

In western countries.

In PAL territories.

In North America, that demo only came in Official U.S. PlayStation magazine. It was really just a trade show demo repurposed as a consumer demo anyway. But then again, so was the FFXII demo that came with DQVIII in North America/Europe/Oceania.

A real nerd would have remembered the FFVIII demo with Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Might pick this up, play it for the demo and return it for store credit. All legal, I get to test out two games and if I don't like the main game I can return it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
*sigh*

I bought Tobal No. 1 for the FF VII demo. I bought Brave Fencer Musashi for the FF VIII demo. And I will pre-order FF Type-0 for the FF XV demo.

Noobcraft

Is there a digital day one edition of this? I'd much prefer to own it digitally with the type of game it is, I don't have unlimited shelf space...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Except that the demo is not coming at the release of the game.

Things are up in the air now... I'm afraid for this game's quality now. SE seems to be rushing so the demo could come with Type-0 but it wasn't originally supposed to. But the game itself is still 2 years out or so.

Stark

Banned
Are digital copies not going to include the demo then? Tabata mentioned it would be included with them so...

Well, I guess it depends if they're Day One editions.

I thought one of the NA/EU Square Enix blogs confirmed that the XV demo will be active the day of Type-0's release, is this not the case anymore?

DJIzana

Things are up in the air now... I'm afraid for this game's quality now. SE seems to be rushing so the demo could come with Type-0 but it wasn't originally supposed to. But the game itself is still 2 years out or so.

I have faith. I mean... I trust Tabata. Look at what Yoshi P did to FFXIV. It IS possible to turn things around. Pretty sure they know that if the demo doesn't live up to certain expectations of polish that it'll cost them possible sales.... then again, it IS Square Enix. Anything is possible...

They did say they would be taking stuff off (like Chocobos) from the demo if it started taking too long.

I wouldn't really expect lack of polish from SE.

There just won't be a code? I might test of Type-0 and if I don't like it I should still reserve the right to return it and enjoy the demo. Oh well if not.
You get a code. You enter the code. The code does nothing because the demo is not out yet. They release the demo. You re-enter the code. You get the demo.

That's how it works.

DJIzana

They did say they would be taking stuff off (like Chocobos) from the demo if it started taking too long.

I wouldn't really expect lack of polish from SE.

You get a code. You enter the code. The code does nothing because the demo is not out yet. They release the demo. You re-enter the code. You get the demo.

That's how it works.

Didn't they also say that they didn't want to show it in a video because they wanted people to see how it works in the demo? Wait... now I'm confused...

Ateron

Will the demo require the disc to run? A certification of some sort, or maybe even be in the disc?

If not, what's stopping one from buying the game, use the code (or keep it for yourself for when they release the demo after a while), then return the game (some stores are okay with that), get your money back or store credit and use it on some other game you want? I never played type-0 and I'm interested but my main drive would be the demo, no doubt. The fact that they're being scummy about this is making me not want to give them a cent.

Didn't they also say that they didn't want to show it in a video because they wanted people to see how it works in the demo? Wait... now I'm confused...

Well, Chocobos was only an example, so I guess they already finished that.

Tabata did say at first when the demo was announced, someone asked "will chocobos be in the demo?" and he said "if we have time it will, if we don't, it won't."

Although for Chocobos specifically I guess they did, or why show them in a video? =P

They can gimp the demo in other areas though, but I don't think rushing through QA will be one of those, Tabata seems like a smart man so far.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have faith. I mean... I trust Tabata. Look at what Yoshi P did to FFXIV. It IS possible to turn things around. Pretty sure they know that if the demo doesn't live up to certain expectations of polish that it'll cost them possible sales.... then again, it IS Square Enix. Anything is possible...

And it took Yoshi-P two years though.

Top Bottom