• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

Ferrio

Banned
Think it's more like they were expecting only the MK9 crowd to be interested in Injustice, and MK9 doesn't have a significant community in NorCal. But yeah it's a pretty ridiculous decision IMHO.

The game blind sided me actually, not surprised people were caught off guard that the game might have legs.

Malice215

Those include reputable players like Kane, Rip and Aris. Even bloodhawk from your side of the country said they were getting dicked over.

It's a 3 day event, and even if Tekken was on Saturday, you still need to take off Friday to make it to NorCal in time. Either way, you still need to use vacation time or a sick day or something.

It's fine if people can't make it to a 3 day event, it's not some conspiracy when everyone else is there on Friday and with the people who are out of the area taking off Thursday to make it in time for Friday. Why does Tekken get special consideration?

The game blind sided me actually, not surprised people were caught off guard that the game might have legs.
I took Injustice to be a joke until like...two days before release, and then everyone in this thread was saying "Yeah, Injustice!" I was blindsided as well. The game turned out much better than I thought. I admit that I didn't give it a second thought until now just because it was developed by NRS. If they continue on this path, Capcom could eventually have some real competition in the west.

Dahbomb

Had to go to work today so didn't have time to type up my thoughts on WMW from yesterday.

Overall it was a really sloppy performance by Norcal. The commentators were not joking when they said that Andre infected everyone in the room. Combo drops were all over the place, even simple day 1 combos like Wolverine, Wesker, Vergil combos. FChamp said that they were playing on Xbox there but they had been preparing on the PS3 for Norcal. Of the people who played the best... FChamp was the the best player there and he won the tournament. It was EVO winning Champ that showed up there and I hope that level of performance carries over to NCR as well. Apologyman and Fanatiq were the next 2 best players there. Fanatiq was just playing SUPER solid and just had a few brain fart moments especially against Andre who IMO got really lucky in a lot of his matches. Apologyman also played really well and really made the most out of dire situations... dude has surprising strength of character in various situations. He also went toe to toe with Champ near the end, taking it to 4-3 but he had one crucial drop that if he had completed it he would've gotten the set win.

Notable matches included the hilarious Andre vs CJ match which went about as well as you would expect, Apologyman vs Ratanna which was like him vs a mini-ChrisG although I don't think Apologyman can do it against ChrisG... he took advantage of Ratanna's unfamiliarity with the match up. Both the Apologyman vs Fanatiq matches were great including the second one which had a pause incident leading to some ridiculous salt. Drew Grimey did well too actually he only lost to the two people he usually loses to and those were FChamp and Apologyman. Everyone else played unremarkable.

ChrisG is still the favorite to win NCR. Would not be surprised to see FChamp vs ChrisG in the finals but anything can happen. Win or lose Apologyman is truly the golden boy of Norcal. And by the way his real name is Vaneeth.

Had to go to work today so didn't have time to type up my thoughts on WMW from yesterday.

Overall it was a really sloppy performance by Norcal. The commentators were not joking when they said that Andre infected everyone in the room. Combo drops were all over the place, even simple day 1 combos like Wolverine, Wesker, Vergil combos. FChamp said that they were playing on Xbox there but they had been preparing on the PS3 for Norcal. Of the people who played the best... FChamp was the the best player there and he won the tournament. It was EVO winning Champ that showed up there and I hope that level of performance carries over to NCR as well. Apologyman and Fanatiq were the next 2 best players there. Fanatiq was just playing SUPER solid and just had a few brain fart moments especially against Andre who IMO got really lucky in a lot of his matches. Apologyman also played really well and really made the most out of dire situations... dude has surprising strength of character in various situations. He also went toe to toe with Champ near the end, taking it to 4-3 but he had one crucial drop that if he had completed it he would've gotten the set win.

Notable matches included the hilarious Andre vs CJ match which went about as well as you would expect, Apologyman vs Ratanna which was like him vs a mini-ChrisG although I don't think Apologyman can do it against ChrisG... he took advantage of Ratanna's unfamiliarity with the match up. Both the Apologyman vs Fanatiq matches were great including the second one which had a pause incident leading to some ridiculous salt. Drew Grimey did well too actually he only lost to the two people he usually loses to and those were FChamp and Apologyman. Everyone else played unremarkable.

ChrisG is still the favorite to win NCR. Would not be surprised to see FChamp vs ChrisG in the finals but anything can happen. Win or lose Apologyman is truly the golden boy of Norcal. And by the way his name is Vaneeth.
I went to bed early, can you tell me:
1) What GF were.
2) What team FChamp used.
3) How well PR Balrog did, and with who.

What the hell is this and why did you post it?

Dahbomb

1) GF was FChamp (W) vs Apologyman (L) and it went 4-3
2) FChamp was using mostly his EVO winning team Magneto/Dorm/Doom and was playing like his EVO self. He played his Phoenix teams for a couple of matches where the match ups were favorable to him and he won with it.
3) No matches of PRRog were streamed, he got eliminated early although he has said numerous times that he does not like playing on those set ups at WMW

1) GF was FChamp (W) vs Apologyman (L) and it went 4-3
2) FChamp was using mostly his EVO winning team Magneto/Dorm/Doom and was playing like his EVO self. He played his Phoenix teams for a couple of matches where the match ups were favorable to him and he won with it.
3) No matches of PRRog were streamed, he got eliminated early although he has said numerous times that he does not like playing on those set ups at WMW
Thank you.

toypop

SF4 AE, TOPANGA LEAGUE ASIA
http://topanga.co.jp//topanga_league_asia/

* May 3rd-6th (4 days).
* (Costly) Paid stream, 1200yen for each, 3000yen for all 4 days.
* $10000 for 1st prize, $3000 for 2nd, $1500 for 3rd.
* FT7 Round-Robin, each players can set two characters, and may change when you lose two of every three matches.

* Players
Japan - Daigo, Sako, Fuudo,
Uryo or Bonchan. (will be decided by the exhibition ft? match at Chokaigi event in 28th.)
ASIA - Poongko, Gamerbee, Xian, Xiao Hai.

Haitani passed, he tweeted that he feels rusty now. Kazunoko doesn't attend, he must be busy as Godsgarden clue.
There will be many FG events (KGA, Godsgarden#8, MUN etc) around the same time in Kansai area, the locals Haitani belongs to.

You're not kidding, that's more that Canada's infamous $8.95.

That's how Topanga has been pricing their streams since they started PPV streams. It's been successful for them so far and their main target audience are the Japanese who I guess have been accepting of this idea unlike us in the West who all went nuts when Canada Cup dared to charge us. I wish it weren't so high, but the model has been successful for them and I guess they're not too keen on trying to sell this idea over here because they know it may not go well with Westerners.

It's $30 for all 4 days and is pretty much in line with what Japan charges for multiple day PPV streams.

I don't think it's pricey compared to other forms of entertainment. It's just not something I would pay for.

The thing is that their has been no precedent set in the NA for FG PPV streams. CC was the first to try and they got hell for it even though the stream was still free to watch. So if anybody charges anything over here their going to get some backlash.

Personally I wish Top an a was charging more like 5 per day but like I said it has been working out for them thus far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happy birthday MarkMan! Enjoy your salacious PM from Kadey!

Svensson tells us the status of the SFIV update:
Right now we are gathering information and feedback both internally and from fans. No active development work has been started (though there's a good deal of planning in place). That feedback and design process will take some time. Then there will be implementation. Then there will be testing and more feedback. Eventually there will be a release.

Patience, as always, is a virtue.

SF4 AE, TOPANGA LEAGUE ASIA
http://topanga.co.jp//topanga_league_asia/

* May 3rd-6th (4 days).
* (Costly) Paid stream, 1200yen for each, 3000yen for all 4 days.
* $10000 for 1st prize, $3000 for 2nd, $1500 for 3rd.
* FT7 Round-Robin, each players can set two characters, and may change when you lose two of every three matches.

* Players
Japan - Daigo, Sako, Fuudo,
Uryo or Bonchan. (will be decided by the exhibition ft? match at Chokaigi event in 28th.)
ASIA - Poongko, Gamerbee, Xian, Xiao Hai.

Haitani passed, he tweeted that he feels rusty now. Kazunoko doesn't attend, he must be busy as Godsgarden clue.
There will be many FG events (KGA, Godsgarden#8, MUN etc) around the same time in Kansai area, the locals Haitani belongs to.
Thanks, will put in next week's thread.

Mitsuru's walk animation being a fashion week catwalk strut is just way too swag for me to hate. Sexy bodysuit with a fur coat is just so absurd that it's amazing.

tumblr_me7uweTK4A1qa8zaio1_500.gif

Just look at this walk, it screams "haters gonna hate"

Malice215

The thing is that their has been no precedent set in the NA for FG PPV streams. CC was the first to try and they got hell for it even though the stream was still free to watch. So if anybody charges anything over here their going to get some backlash.

Personally I wish Top an a was charging more like 5 per day but like I said it has been working out for them thus far.

CC got crap is because of the how poor the broadcast was while airing commercials before a match even completed. There wouldn't have been a backlash if things ran smoothly.

PPV works in Japan because they have the audience for it. If it was truly costly, people would simply not pay for it, but what Topanga is charging is in line with what other events charge.

PPV will eventually happen over here, but it will get there in gradual steps. We already have streams with sub-chat and go eSports for major events. Eventually someone will decide just to make their event stream PPV. All it takes is for one event to go PPV to set the precedent, and others will follow.

To me, it doesn't make sense to charge a spectator fee to the people who are at an event in person when you can just stay home and watch for free. If people want to see bigger events with more payout, then that's something that should change.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
People who quit P4A because of Mitsuru = scrubs. Or Elizabeth players. They're the only people who can legitimately complain about that character.

Top Bottom