• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
any fellow FGWers own arcade hardware?
i used to have a SF2WW board, nice and easy JAMMA - miss the simplicity! been (very) slowly getting a VF3 board up and running over the past 10 months. got sound working last night, just need a new wiring harness for the controls and it's good to go.

having seen the 3S hardware, getting a supergun for that game seems like it'd be a breeze. pretty pricey tho, i'd imagine.

Yet no one can actually explain why.

because you can tell how well a street fighter character is by trying to apply their movesets to SF2 and see if it's viable and not broken in any way.

if you can explain how fuerte would work in SF2, i will accept him.

Kappa/s

Village

El Fuerte and Vega provide fairly similar case studies of salt TBH.

I find vega way more annoying the fuerte, well depending on who i'm playing as. Hugo has an easier time, Brick Shit house , beats a lot of shenanigans if you don't churn butter all the time.

oneida

consolized mvs count?

i think i wanna get a Naomi 2 and VF4 Final Tuned some day. Do you know if they're finicky/problematic?

Naw NAOMI2 is rock solid from what I've heard. Only thing is, if you're getting FT, you'll need the disc drive and a NET DIMM board as well. 4EVO and vanilla 4 have cart releases so they're hundreds of dollars cheaper. food for thought!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Went to a fighting game meetup today and my experience was

Getting my ass kicked in every single game/color of the rainbow was pretty great though. I really need to get back into fighting games before school wrecks me

Source of gif please and that's the reality of it, people who grind the game day in and out. Even then, most of them don't perform that well at tournaments because of how crazy the competition is.

Add me on steam.

Why don't you ever add me?

It's my favourite anime of all time.

Ranma Bros unite!

768.jpg

9t2H8Uq.gif

Naw NAOMI2 is rock solid from what I've heard. Only thing is, if you're getting FT, you'll need the disc drive and a NET DIMM board as well. 4EVO and vanilla 4 have cart releases so they're hundreds of dollars cheaper. food for thought!

I feel u, but the allure of FT not having a home port makes me want it so much more :V

oneida

I feel u, but the allure of FT not having a home port makes me want it so much more :V

understandable

i know a few guys who have undergone this life decision so lemme know if you decide to go through with it

in retrospect a NAOMI2 might've been a better choice than getting a SEGA MODEL 3...
buuuuuuut I feel like an archaeologist, digging deep into uncharted territories

alstein

I find vega way more annoying the fuerte, well depending on who i'm playing as. Hugo has an easier time, Brick Shit house , beats a lot of shenanigans if you don't churn butter all the time.

I'd rather play against ST Vega than Ultra Fuerte.

Yet no one can actually explain why.

It's not rocket science. Fighting game convention is that a player is able to receive reward (damaging the other guy) by putting themselves in the position to do so. For a game that takes largely on the ground, you have a character that can initiate overhead/command grab mixups from a run cancel into a jump arc. In Seth Killian's own words, to fight fuerte, it isn't about position. It's about weathering the storm.

And he has Ex Headbutt as a reversal with a TAP input.

Why are you unable to grasp that other people don't like a character?

He probably plays the character

Dahbomb

People don't like playing against a character that goes against the conventions of the game they are playing. El Fuerte makes you play his game, it's as simple as that. He can throw out coins in the neutral with runs into jump into whatever mix up and when you get hit once you have to go up against even more coin flips.

It's like the hate for Phoenix that still persists today despite the character not even that strong and is played differently than she was 5 years ago. Phoenix still alters the win condition and format of the game to her advantage which forces the other play to play her game because of the resurrection mechanic.

Also El Fuerte makes some stupid as fuck sounds while moving around and doing his moves.

notworksafe

Why are you unable to grasp that other people don't like a character?
Calm down, son. I just want you to use your words.

It's not rocket science. Fighting game convention is that a player is able to receive reward (damaging the other guy) by putting themselves in the position to do so. For a game that takes largely on the ground, you have a character that can initiate overhead/command grab mixups from a run cancel into a jump arc. In Seth Killian's own words, to fight fuerte, it isn't about position. It's about weathering the storm.

And he has Ex Headbutt as a reversal with a TAP input.
Like this.

He probably plays the character
Nope. I just get tired of the same nonsense of "stupid" "annoying" "obnoxious" and other, censored on GAF, one note comments. It's lazy nonsense that isn't any better than "fireballs are spamming"

Skab

Damn it I wandered into a Blizzard thread on gaf again. Why do I do that to myself?

Edit: Whoops, spelling

notworksafe

so you wanted shit repeated at length specifically for you

I wanted people to actually explain themselves. It's almost like I'd expect people who spend their time in a thread about fighting games to be able to articulate their thoughts in more than single note whines.

EDIT: To further clarify, I've never had an issue fighting against Fuerte, which is why I was curious. As long as you don't play his game and just go at him, he doesn't have much to counter you other than ex qbomb.

Astarte

Source of gif please and that's the reality of it, people who grind the game day in and out. Even then, most of them don't perform that well at tournaments because of how crazy the competition is.

Rolling Girls. It's not really worth watching.

notworksafe

any fellow FGWers own arcade hardware?
i used to have a SF2WW board, nice and easy JAMMA - miss the simplicity! been (very) slowly getting a VF3 board up and running over the past 10 months. got sound working last night, just need a new wiring harness for the controls and it's good to go.

having seen the 3S hardware, getting a supergun for that game seems like it'd be a breeze. pretty pricey tho, i'd imagine.
Only have two in the house right now:

OG TTT1 machine. All original parts, american sticks and all. Sadly, there's some tearing on the side art but otherwise it's in very good shape.

Area 51 machine converted to Naomi with a custom made top panel w/ Sanwa parts and cup holders. Only a few games for it: Virtua Tennis, CVS1, and Project Justice.

I've got a GDROM and secondary power supply but its been giving me trouble and I've not yet managed to get it working reliably. Whenever I do get it working, I've got a copy of CVS2 ready to go.

Used to have a Reproduction MVS4 with Universe firmware, but no longer. Also looking into an older CPS2 cab being sold locally but having some issues negotiating price.

consolized mvs count?

i think i wanna get a Naomi 2 and VF4 Final Tuned some day. Do you know if they're finicky/problematic?

Naomi is some of the most finicky and obnoxious arcade hardware out there. It requires exacting levels of power that will take a while to adjust properly. Also there are a few different types of JAMMA I/O converters. Depending on which one you pick, you'll need a secondary power supply that will also require exact levels of power to run your GDROM. GDROM is just a general pain in the butt. This is without getting into the bizarre errors that don't actually mean what the error message says among other oddities. However once you get it working, you're rewarded with some kickass games :D

So speaking of circular discussions in FGW, does any Tekken game have a decent tutorial? I went through the DOA5 one yesterday and wasn't really feeling it, that was still just mainly a very long and protracted systems/mechanics tutorial. Doesn't really teach you about playing the game outside of the obvious stagger strings, mixing up your high/mid/low strings, trying to bait holds.

Guess I got more out of watching EVO top 4 I guess, but that game might not be for me either. Still seems super fast close quarters exchanges for majority of everything.

BadWolf

So speaking of circular discussions in FGW, does any Tekken game have a decent tutorial? I went through the DOA5 one yesterday and wasn't really feeling it, that was still just mainly a very long and protracted systems/mechanics tutorial. Doesn't really teach you about playing the game outside of the obvious stagger strings, mixing up your high/mid/low strings, trying to bait holds.

Guess I got more out of watching EVO top 4 I guess, but that game might not be for me either. Still seems super fast close quarters exchanges for majority of everything.

Why not check out youtube for some tutorials?

Aris did some iirc.

Rip and crew did some character specific one's as well.

Dahbomb

Tekken is mostly played at mid range than at close range. There isn't much of a block string pressure game in Tekken and the high/mid/low game is more protracted so it's not played much at close range. Also grabs aren't that good in the game especially in T7.

The best Tekken tutorials are the YT videos by Aris.

Why not check out youtube for some tutorials?
Because I am not that committed to actually picking up the game.

Not to mention that there are many benefits to a well implemented in-game tutorial compared to watching the video. Usually the in-game tutorials have you try out the stuff you are being taught at the same time, letting you experience the physical act of doing the inputs and get some feedback. It provides a better understanding of whats going on with the game,

Like in the case of DOA5 they actually have you fight it at out against various difficulties of CPU or have you execute the lessons taught against a CPU. Of course all that's taught me is that the tutorials didn't teach me shit and I just mashed through them anyway, but it was still valuable feedback in the sense that I knew I didn't learn much of anything.

The best Tekken tutorials are the YT videos by Aris.
RIP. Well maybe I'll give it a shot sometime anyway.

mbpm1

Tag 2s tut seemed okay when I tried it.

And had a tekkenhead to explain what was going on.

Maybe it wasnt that good

Top Bottom