• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Yet no one can actually explain why.

I don't really hate Fuerte, but I've just found that when you play against him you just have to throw all logic out the window and play just as fucking stupid as he does. Whenever I'm fighting against him there's is almost no thought process, I'm just doing the next thing that pops into my head.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I keep having random dreams of playing the game Shao's making xD

Then I wake up and boot up other games and feel sad.

This always happens to me when a game I'm looking forward to is very close to release. I'm expecting to start having MGS V dreams in about 3 weeks, and I will wake up every morning very irritated.

Update to my missing Nintendo Smash 4 DLC ordeal.

After calling Nintendo support, and explaining the situation, they said I should get a refund in 3-7 days. I think it was a gift card problem.

I didn't want to wait that long for the DLC that I wanted to play yesterday, so today after calling, I went and bought a 20$ Nintendo eShop card and bought the bundle, everything downloaded successfully and it's now officially listed in account status and I have the characters playable with receipt.

This didn't happen before when I used a gift card, I actually never even saw the receipt screen, but when I called to check the balance of the gift card the balance was lowered. So that is why I did what I did.

My only advice to anyone using a gift card(like I did on my first attempt) is to register it online if its registerable before you make the online purchase through the eShop. I never had to do that before for an online purchase with a gift card(a Simon visa Gift card), but perhaps that what's messed it up. Also after the transaction was completed(or pending in this case) an error window came up saying you cannot use this card. ... After I had did everything and hit next. So now I just wait 3-7 days for that balance to go back to the gift card since I never actually got anything. Yup wierd situation.

Tldr; Use Nintendo eShop cards, or online registerable gift cards. It's better than just leaving your real card details in there if you have one. I've read some horror stories of people getting charged a lot on there real card.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This always happens to me when a game I'm looking forward to is very close to release. I'm expecting to start having MGS V dreams in about 3 weeks, and I will wake up every morning very irritated.

It's worse because we come up with these insane character ideas then it's like... FUCK I WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY THAT CHARACTER RIGHT NOW.

Then I sit down and write up paragraphs on how different matches play out in a play by play in text form.

shaowebb

Studying up on Arcana Heart 3 Love Max still. I decided to research Arcana and just what each does because its not super clear.

Basically they get the following.
  • a passive trait
  • they will affect your general damage and ability to take damage
  • they have several specials
  • they have their own supers
  • they have their own hypers (ultras)
  • They have a unique effect during Extend Force (xfactor)

These arcana are more elaborate in tools than most characters are. You can equip them to anyone you want and instantly add a multitude of specials, supers, hypers, and passive traits along with unique xfactor bonuses.

Here are a list of some of the crazy things I've seen:
  • LOVE ARCANA-gives you melee style DI on your falls
    <passive>adds reflect properties to fully charged Arcana moves
    <Extend Force (xfactor)>Gives you the ability to special cancel normals into its 3 specials
    <specials> firing a homing orb thats slow, firing a beam, firing a field you can hold that will absorb projectiles and send out homing orbs if it does so
    <supers> are firing 3 of the homing orbs and firing a giant laser
    <Ultra> fires a gigantic spirit bomb that is air unblockable and that grows in size
  • EVIL ARCANA (pay attention because this is fucking crazy)
    <passive>fully charged arcana moves add POISON
    <Extend Force (xfactor)>ALL NORMALS WILL POISON OPPONENT
    <Specials> you can place a fog of poison on the screen that poisons on touch, you can place a warp point on the screen to teleport at either your current position or your opponents current position. This sort of teleport is crazy for avoiding stuff and cornering and combos
    <Supers>
    -Place a portal on the screen...if enemy touches it they teleport and fall in an untechable state from above. Anyone remember MK9 Smoke :p
    -Swap places on screen instantly
    -place a giant skull BEHIND THE OPPONENT that does a command grab that steals arcana meter from the opponent
    <Ultra>A gigantic arm that on hit grabs the opponent and does 8000 unscaled damage. You even get free reign to control a scythe in hell that carves up your opponent during the animation by hitting directions.

This is fucking nuts...all that teleporting, and poison damage? All those homing attacks, projectiles, and cancels? And you can equip these tools onto ANYONE in the cast?!

Holy shit this game...its like a sandbox. Fuck one of the Arcana is an equippable Jojo stand and there is already a stand character in the game! Double stands out at once?!
My head hurts from the unblockable potentials of this...@_@

Next major licensed title needs to rip off some of this shit.

It's worse because we come up with these insane character ideas then it's like... FUCK I WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY THAT CHARACTER RIGHT NOW.

Then I sit down and write up paragraphs on how different matches play out in a play by play in text form.

I love you. This is why I push so hard after work in a power plant to do a shift of computer work at home. Shit like that. All the shit you come up with in your head and how you playout stuff on paper...its gonna carry a lot. I need to push harder to get you something to work on in a build this year. Like really hard. You're wasting away waiting on me to build assets and damn if that aint a waste of a real passion that needs to be tapped into to help polish this thing. At least you're there to keep the motivation rolling for me and to help me tune the keyframe ideas for now. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If they do, I'm expecting the community to say it's a feature that's never been done before.

This is why I cant watch max's videos anymore.

I love you. This is why I push so hard after work in a power plant to do a shift of computer work at home. Shit like that. All the shit you come up with in your head and how you playout stuff on paper...its gonna carry a lot. I need to push harder to get you something to work on in a build this year. Like really hard. You're wasting away waiting on me to build assets and damn if that aint a waste of a real passion that needs to be tapped into to help polish this thing. At least you're there to keep the motivation rolling for me and to help me tune the keyframe ideas for now. :p
I'm having too much fun with the stuff in general.

and you are open to creative ideas and understand there are different types of players for different types of characters.

Edit: Can't wait to see the character from the other day start to take shape :D

shaowebb

I'm having too much fun with the stuff in general.

and you are open to creative ideas and understand there are different types of players for different types of characters.

Edit: Can't wait to see the character from the other day start to take shape :D
^
*gets super motivated*
NhX1H1p.gif

*opens Unity and Maya*
xyF7PQS.gif

*tests build*
8QGNcQt.gif

Sends Build and receives Q's feedback
ufN3zct.jpg

start back over from the first image

The Shaowebb dev cycle lol

mbpm1

I don't really hate Fuerte, but I've just found that when you play against him you just have to throw all logic out the window and play just as fucking stupid as he does. Whenever I'm fighting against him there's is almost no thought process, I'm just doing the next thing that pops into my head.
Well that explains why I have zero issues with him; I play like that every match

Kappa

In all truth I used to think that but there is a rhythm to the fight. Its just like...idk. High speed footsies/reactions.

Did anybody watch Lap Chi's stream last night. I wasn't paying attention the whole time but I noticed he said some interesting stuff

-Was asked if the Masters Series was returning and he said he was approved by Capcom to use SFV. I'm not sure what that means, I guess he could use SFV before it's actually released is my best guess.
-He said the return of the Masters Series would depend if Twitch can get their shit together and not let what happened before to happen again. What happened was that a lot of people were able to watch it for free on mobile and Xbox 360.
-Was asked about Infil and Laugh's relationship, I don't really remember but he said it was about disagreements over stuff. OK, so I don't really remember what he said during this part lol.
-After winning EVO, Lap Chi wanted to bring Infil over to a tournament but he was charging a fee for showing up. He doesn't know if it was Infil's idea or Laugh's. Lap was going to do it but they also required that Lap pay for Laugh to come as well. Lap declined after hearing that.

I was going to back to go back and watch it just to clarify this but he doesn't have any archives. So a little tid bit about the return of the Masters Series and some drama as well.

Tripon

Well that explains why I have zero issues with him; I play like that every match

Kappa

In all truth I used to think that but there is a rhythm to the fight. Its just like...idk. High speed footsies/reactions.
I think that's the issue. With most characters you have time to think and react to whatever they can dish out.

With El Furte, it is the same game, but because he can move so fast, that window is so much smaller. I have the same issue with really good Makoto players that can close the gap easily.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/08/evolution-2015-smashes-viewership-records/

Almost 4 million unique vewiers for EVO 2015. Those are better numbers then the finale of The CW shows.

Those are unique viewers over the course of the entire weekend so it's not a fair comparison. Great numbers overall though, we can only hope that they can keep this up for next year and beyond. The 248k peak kind of bugs me though. We all saw how it actually peaked around 254k-255k a minute after GF ended.

Grakl

Those are unique viewers over the course of the entire weekend so it's not a fair comparison. Great numbers overall though, we can only hope that they can keep this up for next year and beyond. The 248k peak kind of bugs me though. We all saw how it actually peaked around 254k-255k a minute after GF ended.
Maybe they subtracted out people with multiple streams open?

K.Sabot

Chun is still as much a charge character as she was in SFIV at least, just glad I don't have to piano anymore because I suck at pianoing with my right hand (left handed struggle)

also no charging for her good super \o/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chargeless Vega confirmed.
Vega better do absolutely stupid amounts of damage.

100% circular motions character sounds like it's not telling the full story, ironically. I don't expect that for both stances, but then again I didn't expect him to have circular motions in the first place.

Schryver

a lot. It usually is the main source of lag in fighting games. Usually game mode on your TV helps but it may depend on the tv itself

I have a Plasma with semi-decent lag numbers I think so I don't exactly want to get a new monitor/TV just for fighting games. Guess if I get more serious down the line I might consider it

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Did anybody watch Lap Chi's stream last night. I wasn't paying attention the whole time but I noticed he said some interesting stuff

-Was asked if the Masters Series was returning and he said he was approved by Capcom to use SFV. I'm not sure what that means, I guess he could use SFV before it's actually released is my best guess.
-He said the return of the Masters Series would depend if Twitch can get their shit together and not let what happened before to happen again. What happened was that a lot of people were able to watch it for free on mobile and Xbox 360.
-Was asked about Infil and Laugh's relationship, I don't really remember but he said it was about disagreements over stuff. OK, so I don't really remember what he said during this part lol.
-After winning EVO, Lap Chi wanted to bring Infil over to a tournament but he was charging a fee for showing up. He doesn't know if it was Infil's idea or Laugh's. Lap was going to do it but they also required that Lap pay for Laugh to come as well. Lap declined after hearing that.

I was going to back to go back and watch it just to clarify this but he doesn't have any archives. So a little tid bit about the return of the Masters Series and some drama as well.

Damn, I understand Infli since he's a hot commodity after an EVO win so he should be paid to go but for Laugh as well? Get out of here. He's a swell guy in person but he didn't win EVO or reach GF lol.

Chargeless Vega confirmed.

Great, I'll hate the character even more now.

Tripon

I have a Plasma with semi-decent lag numbers I think so I don't exactly want to get a new monitor/TV just for fighting games. Guess if I get more serious down the line I might consider it

If you are serious, I would just get a computer monitor with little lag. Look at Displaylag.com for a monitor you are interested in.

Rean

Chun is still as much a charge character as she was in SFIV at least, just glad I don't have to piano anymore because I suck at pianoing with my right hand (left handed struggle)

also no charging for her good super \o/
Pianoing was the only thing holding me back from playing Chun in 4. That and I don't have an arcade stick atm.

Honestly, Vega probably should be a motion character to begin with. His moveset doesn't really lend itself to holding charge, he wants to be wiggling around playing footsies with his crazy pokes and godlike walkspeed. Not to mention that half his specials are garbage anyway in SF4.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174180135]Honestly, Vega probably should be a motion character to begin with. His moveset doesn't really lend itself to holding charge, he wants to be wiggling around playing footsies with his crazy pokes and godlike walkspeed. Not to mention that half his specials are garbage anyway in SF4.[/QUOTE]
The same could be said of Blanka.

The same could be said of Blanka.

The thing about blanka and bison is that their specials are central to their ability to move forward. Vega's specials don't really work like that. Blanka and Bison are fine being charge characters and aggro because their movement is tied into those charge moves. They tried to fix this by making Rolling Crystal Flash + on block, but it's so slow that it still barely sees use.

Vega doesn't have command normals that move him around after they nerfed dfRH, and he doesn't have super strong hit confirms. He pretty much just walks back and forth and fishes for cMP and cMK and every once in a while he gets a frame trap or jump in that lets him use a special move. Unlike Bison and Blanka, most of Vega's specials are basically unusable.

Vega definitely has the worst balancing of the SF4 cast in terms of his overall design. He still feels half-finished after all these years.

Top Bottom