• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 14-20 | El gringo ganó todo

AAK

Damn I missed it, how did he do?

Yo were you there? Must have missed you. And it was awesome meeting you Chris. Hope you enjoyed the concert you left for :)

Did not expect to get 2nd place. Was getting my butt destroyed in casuals. Oh well it was a great time. Can't wait for the next major.

Yo were you there? Must have missed you. And it was awesome meeting you Chris. Hope you enjoyed the concert you left for :)

Did not expect to get 2nd place. Was getting my butt destroyed in casuals. Oh well it was a great time. Can't wait for the next major.

gaf curse :{

Dahbomb

So is Marvel all invitations? Last I heard they hadn't really clarified that.
It's supposed to be invitations only but what isn't clarified is the criteria for being invited. Are they going to pick the best 8 players? Are they going to pick the best in certain regions? Are they going to pick based on the best of each character (like have the best Zero, best Wolverine, best Morrigan, best Nova etc)? Is it US only? Is it community voted?

I honestly could see them inviting Tokido over Nemo simply because Tokido has already qualified for AE so they don't have to spend extra money to fly him over. Or are they even paying for tickets?

kirblar

It's supposed to be invitations only but what isn't clarified is the criteria for being invited. Are they going to pick the best 8 players? Are they going to pick the best in certain regions? Are they going to pick based on the best of each character (like have the best Zero, best Wolverine, best Morrigan, best Nova etc)? Is it US only? Is it community voted?

I honestly could see them inviting Tokido over Nemo simply because Tokido has already qualified for AE so they don't have to spend extra money to fly him over. Or are they even paying for tickets?
They're paying.

Dahbomb

Then they will probably try to cut corners. I think the reason why they haven't announced the Marvel invitations yet is because they are waiting for all the finalists of the other two games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Justin, Tokido and Xian are invited for the Marvel tourney. That's 3 tickets Capcom can save by choosing them.

MrDaravon

Then they will probably try to cut corners. I think the reason why they haven't announced the Marvel invitations yet is because they are waiting for all the finalists of the other two games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Justin, Tokido and Xian are invited for the Marvel tourney. That's 3 tickets Capcom can save by choosing them.

Well Justin at least I think would have been a lock for Marvel anyway.

Dahbomb

Oh I forgot ChrisG as well. That's 4 tickets they don't have to pay for.

Flocker qualifies automatically right?
I mean he should but no details are given on the whole thing. I really hope they announce it soon, the players have to make travel plans and such.

I think Flocker, ChrisG, Justin and FChamp have to be locks. Beyond those 4 everyone is a wild card.

Dahbomb

It wasn't really that head exploding until he brought up the point of the single player content which was aside from his main point of control issues in fighters.

He is right though... most of the staple moves you need to execute in fighters like SF are motions that are based around stick motions (QCF, DP, HCF, RDP, 360s etc). Doing these motions are harder to do on a D Pad... it always has been like that. Injustice alleviated this by allowing for pad option controls for moves (Down forward instead of QCF).

Like for example... IMO it's easier to do back, back or down down inputs on Pad than stick. There is no reason why fighters can't have forward, forward moves instead of QCF but they don't because QCF has been a staple for special moves for so long due to their origin as arcade stick games. It's not like fighters are unplayable when you have forward forward or back forward moves... that's how 3D fighters operate so you know inputs like those are doable.

Tik-Tok

theres something more satisfying about rolling motions compared to tap style inputs that feelsmore akin to playing an instrument

Dahbomb

Yea I agree on a stick but on a D pad most stick motions are really hard on your thumbs. The space between the directions really puts a hurt on and you only keep on playing by developing callouses.

I guess they can make the analogs better but they suck for fighting games usually more than the D pad. You try to do a QCF and your character jumps up because the space is so tiny.

Sheroking

It wasn't really that head exploding until he brought up the point of the single player content which was aside from his main point of control issues in fighters.

He is right though... most of the staple moves you need to execute in fighters like SF are motions that are based around stick motions (QCF, DP, HCF, RDP, 360s etc). Doing these motions are harder to do on a D Pad... it always has been like that. Injustice alleviated this by allowing for pad option controls for moves (Down forward instead of QCF).

Like for example... IMO it's easier to do back, back or down down inputs on Pad than stick. There is no reason why fighters can't have forward, forward moves instead of QCF but they don't because QCF has been a staple for special moves for so long due to their origin as arcade stick games. It's not like fighters are unplayable when you have forward forward or back forward moves... that's how 3D fighters operate so you know inputs like those are doable.

As a pad player, far prefer QCF motions to Mortal Kombat's Down-Forward stuff. I'll screw it up more than a stick player will, but I don't feel like there's a barrier and it feels less janky to me.

Football is too obtuse. Why should I have to train to throw a ball farther and more accuratly, I should be able to throw it to any passer thats open instantly with a 100% accuracy

Dahbomb

D, F is better than QCF because you still can do QCF if you want and it will come out.
Yeah I was about to say this. I am confused how you would miss a D/F if you are doing a proper QCF. If it's not working then that's the game's fault for it not registering the input properly.

And especially in the case of a half circle forward... doing back, forward is 10x times easier on a pad.

Football is too obtuse. Why should I have to train to throw a ball farther and more accuratly, I should be able to throw it to any passer thats open instantly with a 100% accuracy
This is sort of a poor analogy. Anyone with a working hand can throw a ball... not everyone can pick up a controller and do a QCF input immediately. Sure the ball won't go as far or as accurately but at least the ball will move... if you do a QCF input in an attempt to throw a fireball but you don't do the input properly you don't get a fireball... not even a Dan tier fireball for your effort. So the difference is you don't get anything (miss the QCF) or you doing a fireball that is as good as a fireball that Daigo throws (hit the QCF). This is not what is going to happen with your average joe throwing a ball compared to Drew Brees... the average joe will still be able to throw a ball but his ball will probably never be as good as the ball that Brees throws unless he puts in years of practice. There's a distinct difference here that needs to be appreciated.

CPS2

All my friends play candy crush saga and refuse to spend $100+ on an arcade stick and play SF with me, its very troubling. Maybe I can ease them into it with smash bros and mortal kombat. Maybe the next SF game should be on mobile phones and have simple touch controls that anyone can play, and just be a single player game. And free to play.

I finally found out which character my manager plays in SF4. He plays Ryu, and he laughed when I said I use T.Hawk.

Also, one of the new hires apparently got top 130 at EVO this year. I haven't met him yet, though.

Dahbomb

The funny thing is that most of these issues don't even apply to one of the deepest fighting games out there... VF. It has a big buffer window for links, most actions are direction plus a button like Tekken, it doesn't have complex mechanics for you to learn and it's only 3 buttons. One of these days I am going to learn VF for real.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't even remember what the op said in that thread. It's mostly the other people who interject to try and prove to themselves fighters r hard.

I remember someone bitching that fighting games are outdated because they don't use analog movement. or something.

great thread great experiences

Dahbomb I want to call you stupid but I dont feel like it is a strong enough word. Did you just honestly say throwing a football correctly is easier than doing a qcf on a game pad?

Tik-Tok

I don't even remember what the op said in that thread. It's mostly the other people who interject to try and prove to themselves fighters r hard.

I remember someone bitching that fighting games are outdated because they don't use analog movement. or something.

great thread great experiences

Yeah it's not so much OP but the coldfeet dude who is out to lunch.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb I want to call you stupid but I dont feel like it is a strong enough word. Did you just honestly say throwing a football correctly is easier than doing a qcf on a game pad?
I didn't say that, read it again.

I said throwing a football is easy... not throwing it "correctly". A toddler can throw a football. Throwing a fireball is a binary thing... you either get no fireball or you get a perfect fireball. It's however nearly impossible to learn to throw a perfect football at top speed, distance and accuracy which is why it is such a sought after skill.

Basically it was a poor analogy to begin with.

TGMIII

Yeah what an idiot. Everyone knows you kick a football, it's right there in the name.

I didn't say that, read it again.

I said throwing a football is easy... not throwing it "correctly". A toddler can throw a football. Throwing a fireball is a binary thing... you either get no fireball or you get a perfect fireball. It's however nearly impossible to learn to throw a perfect football at top speed, distance and accuracy which is why it is such a sought after skill.

No you have completely taken the analogy and fucked it up. I used football throwing specfically because you dont throw it like a normal ball. Its "obtuse". Literally.

Dahbomb

No you hace completely taken the analogy and fucked it up. I used football throwing specfically because you dont throw it like a normal ball. Its "obtuse". Literally.
Yea and that's why the analogy was bad. You can do a QCF kinda bad but still get a "perfect" fireball compared to most professionals... you will not get a good football throw if you throw it improperly.

And you can extend this analogy to REAL football where you just kick the ball around. Of course there is technique involved in kicking it around properly. Doesn't change the fact that the actual action of kicking the ball is easy for anyone who can stand on two legs. There is no binary relationship in sports... it's bad versus good. In the case of fighting game inputs there's no result versus perfect result. That's why this analogy doesn't work.

I just wanna say ita fucking sad we live a world where doing anything other than pressing one direction and a button on a controller is " too obtuse" ans "complex". Typical lazy ass gamers.

kirblar

I just wanna say ita fucking sad we live a world where doing anything other than pressing one direction and a button on a controller is " too obtuse" ans "complex". Typical lazy ass gamers.
It's more that if you have a D-Pad it gets awkward to do the DF part of the motion. On Genesis it was easy to learn fireballs. On SNES...not so much.

Dahbomb

I do agree with you that gamers are lazy. Fighting games are generally an easy genre to understand. You deplete the other person's life bar by pressing buttons + wiggling sticks and you win... it's the simplest goal among all game genres. They are way easier to follow than an RTS or a MOBA for someone just viewing the games.

The real problem with fighting games (and it's not really a "problem") is simply that people don't want to take the blame for their losses so they blame the genre, the game or the design. That's why the most popular games right now are all team based games or RNG based games. Lose a game? No worries, just blame it on the team mate or blame it on RNG (OMG that guy drew that card or WTF he got that crit/bash at the last second to win!).

Fighting games are only as hard and as "obtuse" as the person you are playing against.

Yea and that's why the analogy was bad. You can do a QCF kinda bad but still get a "perfect" fireball compared to most professionals... you will not get a good football throw if you throw it improperly.

And you can extend this analogy to REAL football where you just kick the ball around. Of course there is technique involved in kicking it around properly. Doesn't change the fact that the actual action of kicking the ball is easy for anyone who can stand on two legs. There is no binary relationship in sports... it's bad versus good. In the case of fighting game inputs there's no result versus perfect result. That's why this analogy doesn't work.

? Throwing a football correctly and throwing it like a professional are two ENTRELY SEPERATE THINGS. Sorry that any sports concepts are lost on you. But go ahead keep arguing, I wont be listening.

Nyoro SF

? Throwing a football correctly and throwing it like a professional are two ENTRELY SEPERATE THINGS. Sorry that any sports concepts are lost on you. But go ahead keep arguing, I wont be listening.

Look bro, he's absolutely right. Even if we accept your continued divvying of "bad", "correct", and "professional", these terms don't apply to fighting games, you either get a perfect result or you don't as an input.

The only thing about simplifying inputs is that you have to balance the game around moves that are now easier to do, that's all.

Please make Fei's chicken wing a QCF+K motion

Dahbomb

Look bro, he's absolutely right. Even if we accept your continued divvying of "bad", "correct", and "professional", these terms don't apply to fighting games, you either get a perfect result or you don't as an input.
Thanks someone gets it.

Also I just read the thread that was linked and it sounds like that guy just wants a DMC/Dark Souls game as a fighter. I don't think that would ever work without being split screen or online only because of camera issues.

Top Bottom