• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 28 - Nov 3 | Red Focus, Blue Blazes

Yea why not?

Because you're being biased because you like those games/company, and spinning it to ignore the elephant in the room that the forced to purchase expansion pack business model leads to a steady drop in playerbase/sales as each new version is put out.

Dahbomb

Because you're being biased because you like those games/company, and spinning it to ignore the elephant in the room that the forced to purchase expansion pack business model leads to a steady drop in playerbase/sales as each new version is put out.
Um no I do that for every game/company. I add up all the expansions together.

If you listed MK9 plus Gold/GOTY edition I would add those two together too. Same for NG3 and Razor's Edge or NG plus NGB or MGS3 plus Subsistence. Or RE4 plus the 6 different versions it was released as.

People can call it dumb all they want, that's how I will add shit up.

Um no I do that for every game/company. I add up all the expansions together.

If you listed MK9 plus Gold/GOTY edition I would add those two together too. Same for NG3 and Razor's Edge or NG plus NGB or MGS3 plus Subsistence

Ok, fair enough, but your post was SF, MvC, and DMC, so forgive me if I thought your well known enthusiasm for specific franchises played a part.

Dahbomb

Ok, fair enough, but your post was SF, MvC, and DMC, so forgive me if I thought your well known enthusiasm for specific franchises played a part.
It was those games because Capcom just released updated sales data on those games.

In the case of UMVC3 and DMC3SE those numbers were not known until now so it was definitely news to me (and I have been following DMC3 for 8 years now).

You kinda are whether you admit it or not. Its like counting expansions and dlx bought as copies of the game. You dont stack sales like that ontop of each other unless you are marketing the success of your game. Why stop at SS4? Why not add SF4 3D? SF4 Volt or mobile?

Either way its silly.

kirblar

You kinda are whether you admit it or not. Its like counting expansions and dlx bought as copies of the game. You dont stack sales like that ontop of each other unless you are marketing the success of your game. Why stop at SS4? Why not add SF4 3D? SF4 Volt or mobile?

Either way its silly.
There's arguments both ways. It really doesn't matter. It does show, though, that their structure has really been leading to them leaving money on the table. Japan not being exposed to the American PC gaming market really hurt them, as it's pretty easy to understand that "upgrade" will help you retain users and sell future content more than "replace", since with each iteration you'll be leaving people behind.

YOOOOO Rush Hour revival?!?

iV2p0JAx0Imgo.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Either way its silly.
You count it like that because it tells you how much that particular property and it's permutations made that company. It shows the strength of the IP, which is important going from generation to generation. Whereas you can have a game that did well in one permutation, but then the PC/mobile port sold close to nothing.

As much as we all hate mobile version and often companion apps too, it's important part of development strategies late this gen and going into next gen where it's a big focus in trying to recoup and build stronger brands. IMO looking at a single title like say vanilla SF4's sales in isolation is being ignorant to the bigger picture.

Hopefully that wont cause them to drop the franchise completely ala Onimusha and Megaman.
That would be produce the absolute minimum amount of disappointment, which isn't up to Capcom's industry-leading standards. Mobile stamina-based RPG with the reboot characters and microtransactions, Japan exclusive and announced after a year of teasing about a "new DMC". I wouldn't settle for anything less.
Talking about PC gaming, I don't know if anyone else has the same "problem", but I don't like to play games on PC anymore! I always have NeoGAF and/or Twitter and/or Twitch and/or Netflix on in my PC, so playing games on it just make my stream/forum/sitcom monster life way harder. It may be my bad PC, but I don't know, playing on my PS3 feels so damn good man....
I actually feel the opposite: if I can play anything on my PC I will, because I can be alt-tabbing or leaving a movie on in the background and I usually load into the game much faster, and for stuff that I actually want to be 100% on the PC runs those better too. Having to turn on my console is a big hassle and if I want to multi-task it's never going to be as efficient as using my PC or having my phone/tablet on my lap, which is why next-gen consoles being relatively cheap machines that need to be able to do everything has so little appeal for me, because I'd like a machine that plays games better than anything else can play games.
Orchid has pretty cool moves and mechanics.

Capcom finally released some sale numbers for their games.

MVC3 = 2.2 million, UMVC3 = 1 million so total for that game is 3.2 million.

DMC3 = 1.3 million, DMC3SE = 1 million so total is 2.3 million.

SFxT = 1.6 million (up from 1.5 million)

SSF4 = 3.3 million, SSF4 = 1.9 million so total is 5.2 million.

DMC4 = 2.8 million (up from 2.7 million)

So basically DMC1, DMC4 and DMC3 each sold double that of DmC.

The most surprising thing to me about the Capcom numbers is how well RE5/6 sold. I had thought their "blockbuster" status was just aspirational. I can see why they went full retard for RE6 based on the "success" of the 5th one, even if a lot of people were lukewarm on the direction.

Dahbomb

Yea the RE6 sales are still insanely good. Game would've been a huge success if it had a more controlled budget.

Man what is up with these GAF FG threads lately. "KI looks too much like a fighting game"... well no shit that's like saying Battlefield 4 looks too much like a FPS!

Yea the RE6 sales are still insanely good. Game would've been a huge success if it had a more controlled budget.

Man what is up with these GAF FG threads lately. "KI looks too much like a fighting game"... well no shit that's like saying Battlefield 4 looks too much like a FPS!

But fighting games are hard my controller doesn't have a Punch button

JeTmAn81

It doesn't look like Marvel 2 was listed in those Capcom numbers. Too old, or sold under a million? Either way, those sales numbers make Marvel 3 (2.2 million for vanilla, 1.1 million for Ultimate) look like a pretty significant title to me. A lot more significant than the support it's gotten from Capcom would suggest.

Dahbomb

I don't think MVC2 did that well on consoles (best version released on a dead on arrival console) but it probably did OK as an arcade game. More importantly it did well as a DL game on XBLA according to Capcom. No real numbers to attach to the game though. As it stands MVC3 is by far the most selling versus game for Capcom.

Also, I feel like adding up every expansion/re-release of a game can be somewhat misleading because a large chunk of sales are from people who bought both versions, and I feel like a distinction needs to be made. It paints a skewed picture of the actual customer base in terms of size and satisfaction, I think, especially in terms of gauging potential future sales.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, I feel like adding up every expansion/re-release of a game can be somewhat misleading because a large chunk of sales are from people who bought both versions, and I feel like a distinction needs to be made. It paints a skewed picture of the actual customer base in terms of size and satisfaction, I think, especially in terms of gauging potential future sales.
It's tough to make that distinction. I mean the more information the better, but you can argue there's a bunch of people that say fuck you to the update because they've had their fill and also those who waited for the revision knowing it was coming.

Difficult to nail down the divide. And when you consider the FGC are the people who are most likely to buy both, I'd say considering that portion a "large chunk" of overlapping sales, it's probably far from that.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I bet they miss that SF2 gravy train.

6.3 Million for World Warrior on SNES alone, goddamn.

SF2 on SNES was an absolutely huge deal. Everybody and their mother had that game.

I remember renting an SNES and SF2 when that shit first came out so I could play it. The idea of a reasonable (for the time) home console port of SF2 seemed pretty wild back then. Good times.

Silky

Banned
So a friend's coming over with Chronophantasma. I hate BlazBlue, but I hear the speed's been greatly improved to that of near Guilty Gear levels.

hitsugi

That's what I meant by the Sailor Moon cosplay "encounter" although it ended up being more than just a date. Of course Viscant maintaining his "purity" persona will never divulge more into that event.

Nessa was something else.. that's all I can say. Props for Viscant for managing to keep it so quiet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So a friend's coming over with Chronophantasma. I hate BlazBlue, but I hear the speed's been greatly improved to that of near Guilty Gear levels.

Depends on why you hate it. If you hate it because it's more mind game heavy than GG then no you wont like it still.

If you hate it because of ten years of hitstop on everything and a bad guard crush system then those are gone.

Dahbomb

you know what's a travesty? re4 not selling more copies
It would've sold a lot more if it simultaneously released on PS2, GC and Xbox. Obviously by the time the PS2 version was about to be released the fanboys went on a tirade about how unplayable it would be on the PS2 causing people to rethink their purchases. It still sold a lot more on the PS2 but not as much as it could have.

BTW the meltdowns over RE4 going to PS2.... now those were classics.

SF2 on SNES was an absolutely huge deal. Everybody and their mother had that game.

I remember renting an SNES and SF2 when that shit first came out so I could play it. The idea of a reasonable (for the time) home console port of SF2 seemed pretty wild back then. Good times.

Special Champion Edition on Genesis w/ the 6-button controller was the better home SFII experience.

Fuck shoulder buttons.

It's tough to make that distinction. I mean the more information the better, but you can argue there's a bunch of people that say fuck you to the update because they've had their fill and also those who waited for the revision knowing it was coming.

Difficult to nail down the divide. And when you consider the FGC are the people who are most likely to buy both, I'd say considering that portion a "large chunk" of overlapping sales, it's probably far from that.

I'm just making the point that 3 million combined sales for marvel over 2 versions is different from 2 million combined sales of DMC3 and its re-release on PS2 which is different from 2.8 million combined sales of DMC4 over 3 platforms. Combined numbers are hardly comparable, especially for gauging the relative health/success of different franchises.

I guess the point is that total revenue/profit or number of distinct buyers are probably more useful metrics, but we're not getting either of those.

RE7 will sell 15 million copies if they just ditch everything that isn't directly lifted from Call of Duty.

It would've sold a lot more if it simultaneously released on PS2, GC and Xbox. Obviously by the time the PS2 version was about to be released the fanboys went on a tirade about how unplayable it would be on the PS2 causing people to rethink their purchases. It still sold a lot more on the PS2 but not as much as it could have.

BTW the meltdowns over RE4 going to PS2.... now those were classics.

I remember being really bummed out RE4 going to PS2 with more content. :(

I kind of want to make a thread asking the rest of gaf on what their opinions of TOD, "spam", and infinites on fighting games. What count as cheese and etc. I want to know what gaf casuals think and see why they think of it as "spam/cheese".

I'm just making the point that 3 million combined sales for marvel over 2 versions is different from 2 million combined sales of DMC3 and its re-release on PS2 which is different from 2.8 million combined sales of DMC4 over 3 platforms. Combined numbers are hardly comparable, especially for gauging the relative health/success of different franchises.

I guess the point is that total revenue/profit or number of distinct buyers are probably more useful metrics, but we're not getting either of those.

RE7 will sell 15 million copies if they just ditch everything that isn't directly lifted from Call of Duty.
If only it were that easy lol.

onionfrog

I kind of want to make a thread asking the rest of gaf on what their opinions of TOD, "spam", and infinites on fighting games. What count as cheese and etc. I want to know what gaf casuals think and see why they think of it as "spam/cheese".

This would be entertaining at least.

I think people don't like losing to an obvious tactic that they see being used but don't know how to defeat it. Frustrations become greater when you do know what you have to do but don't know how to execute it. A perfect example is jump back fireball with Akuma vs Gief. If you don't know what to do, its super frustrating.

Top Bottom