• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 8-14 | Fining Nemo

Kumubou

That online match-makimg for T7 is interesting. I wonder what the standard of connection will be needed by the arcade to be part of it. Seems really cool for when the arcade is empty that day.

I guess he wants it though so if like your local arcade is full of killers, you can choose not to play them and look online for somebody to play.

Makes me wonder that though, actually how big their highest concurrent user base would be to make this really work.

Sf4 has lots of players online and people still don't like who they get matched up with.

Would be nice if it was just not Asia and NA and EU could get on the system.

Exciting stuff.
Most arcades are on some fiber-based connection, and Internet connections in Japan (and most of the industrialized world, really) are far better than what's available in the US to begin with. Bandwidth won't be a problem.

I think it would be a better system for smaller games, frankly -- in terms of net gain, anyway. The playerbase online will be smaller, but for an individual player it'll be possible to actually play against people at locations that aren't a hotspot for a given game.

The one thing I find interesting is that Namco seems really confident in their networking infrastructure if they're going to go for inter-arcade netplay. If the experience feels inferior to an offline game (and let's be real, even the best games online on the best connections don't feel right compared to side-to-die), no one's going to waste their time -- that and you've effectively created two different games. Do you really want to see online strats in an arcade?

That online match-makimg for T7 is interesting. I wonder what the standard of connection will be needed by the arcade to be part of it. Seems really cool for when the arcade is empty that day.

I guess he wants it though so if like your local arcade is full of killers, you can choose not to play them and look online for somebody to play.

Makes me wonder that though, actually how big their highest concurrent user base would be to make this really work.

Sf4 has lots of players online and people still don't like who they get matched up with.

Would be nice if it was just not Asia and NA and EU could get on the system.

Exciting stuff.

Matchmakers need a hell of a lot of people for them to work properly.

Apart from that, though, it's the genre. There are so, so many ways to be good at fighting games when you're starting out that you'll just end up with mismatches where the two people's strengths just don't intersect and they kind of end up playing past each other. Even worse if they don't understand how the system works as many don't.

Then you add on top of that the fact that SF4 is a heavily matchup-based game and the matchups themselves are almost different games. I know I loved getting matched up against shotos, Sagats, Codys and the like. But ask me if I want to play against Fuerte, let alone have any fun doing that?

Beckx

had to take a jab at smash fans.

had to.

they don't got jabs anyway

But Little Mac

----------------------------------

Some random pics from my time in the game so far

ibbPd68QS4Islb.JPG

i89zqnUuf1Qb3.JPG

iE9T37syTrgDA.JPG

ibsMjebt8eTBTD.JPG

idRwNd2KgAx8n.JPG

ibGQSfZLUJS5Z.JPG

ibv3WMAqG8TGdu.JPG

Most arcades are on some fiber-based connection, and Internet connections in Japan (and most of the industrialized world, really) are far better than what's available in the US to begin with. Bandwidth won't be a problem.

I think it would be a better system for smaller games, frankly -- in terms of net gain, anyway. The playerbase online will be smaller, but for an individual player it'll be possible to actually play against people at locations that aren't a hotspot for a given game.

The one thing I find interesting is that Namco seems really confident in their networking infrastructure if they're going to go for inter-arcade netplay. If the experience feels inferior to an offline game (and let's be real, even the best games online on the best connections don't feel right compared to side-to-die), no one's going to waste their time -- that and you've effectively created two different games. Do you really want to see online strats in an arcade?

I worry about "online" tekken too. Part of me thinks, that's the point of going to the arcade, to get the offline experience of playing other people live. Don't won't to deal with lag and all of that. They must be really trusting in their netcode. But I guess if its only Japan and Korea, it could be alright.

I think your right , games with smaller bases could benefit more.

Or maybe in the future, the arcade matching will sync with ps4 or Xbox one. Probably not on that one though, heh.

I worry about "online" tekken too. Part of me thinks, that's the point of going to the arcade, to get the offline experience of playing other people live. Don't won't to deal with lag and all of that. They must be really trusting in their netcode. But I guess if its only Japan and Korea, it could be alright.

I think your right , games with smaller bases could benefit more.

Or maybe in the future, the arcade matching will sync with ps4 or Xbox one. Probably not on that one though, heh.

Really, everything that's "not local versus mode" in arcade fighters is just something to kill time until a challenger shows up. Using online play for that sounds fine to me.

Really, everything that's "not local versus mode" in arcade fighters is just something to kill time until a challenger shows up. Using online play for that sounds fine to me.

Of course. Ideal way to kill time until a new challenger in the arcade shows up or the place is empty.

I wonder about the people who would choose to matchmake online when there are people in the arcade to play, cause they are too good.

Harada covering all bases, heh.

Nyoro SF

I have 50% off Hotline Miami if anyone wants it for free.

On the topic of fighting games, 16 days til P4U2 is released in NA. I'll be picking it up and practicing normal Sho... for as normal as he gets.

I have 50% off Hotline Miami if anyone wants it for free.

On the topic of fighting games, 16 days til P4U2 is released in NA. I'll be picking it up and practicing normal Sho... for as normal as he gets.

I'd be willing to take that Hotline Miami code off you if that's OK? :)

On the topic of Furten Garhms I'm going on Killer Instinct if anyone wants to join. Kinda having to relearn this game since I'm now on an arcade stick. Gamertag = Gaf name exactly.

Coda

so what are people saying about little mac? is he going to be good?

I think I'm gonna main him. Looks like he has the most combos with his flurry attacks and he has some really cool specials like that lunge move.

But it's way too early to tell.

Beckx

so what are people saying about little mac? is he going to be good?

I'm sadly not the guy who can tell you how viable he is. But fwiw in one on one no items matches I think he's fast and very dangerous, and really really fun to play. His dash speed is insane. Counter is really good.

Just don't get knocked off the stage.

alstein

Matchmakers need a hell of a lot of people for them to work properly.

Apart from that, though, it's the genre. There are so, so many ways to be good at fighting games when you're starting out that you'll just end up with mismatches where the two people's strengths just don't intersect and they kind of end up playing past each other. Even worse if they don't understand how the system works as many don't.

Then you add on top of that the fact that SF4 is a heavily matchup-based game and the matchups themselves are almost different games. I know I loved getting matched up against shotos, Sagats, Codys and the like. But ask me if I want to play against Fuerte, let alone have any fun doing that?

You hit on something here- I think in 2d FG's especially, making characters fun to play against needs to be part of the goal. About 1/4 the cast in SF4 for example to me is like pulling teeth no matter who is it.

Of course, that varies from person to person, but I don't think anyone enjoys playing vs Fuerte or Blanka.

You hit on something here- I think in 2d FG's especially, making characters fun to play against needs to be part of the goal. About 1/4 the cast in SF4 for example to me is like pulling teeth no matter who is it.

Of course, that varies from person to person, but I don't think anyone enjoys playing vs Fuerte or Blanka.
Is there any way to do that where it doesn't just narrow down the number of available playstyles? That's one of the biggest advantages 2D games have over 3D games is how differently characters play from one another.

I see your point, but that cuts down on variety, and of course it's all preference.

I think it's all in the properties of the moves of these "weird" guys. Like for me, I don't mind playing against blanka. Playing against fuerte is like toothpicks under nails for me though.

Silky

Banned
Smash 4 3ds New Jersey Tournament going on here: http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

They're using custom moves too.

Was Star Gladiator even good? Has anyone ever even played it or seen a cab? I literally know nothing about that game other than Hayato was in it.

Yes I know he's a MvC2 character at this point rather than Star Gladiator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNJbOd0iilM

EDIT: Well, now I know it has the most annoying super finish effect of all time.

Plasma Sword was better tbh.

Top Bottom