• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I wasn't paying with anyone but is this next phase the phase that will carry over to launch? I made a GLA but I think I want to play something different now

The phase labeled Beta Phase 4 will be. You can play something different by hitting Gladiator level 10, doing the level 10 class quest, then the armory is wide open.

Khrno

Legacy dosn't mean all those has millions of gils and all crafting at 50. And demand will regulate prices by itself, if 90% of yout potential buyers are new players you won't be able to overprice your crafted items...

Also lot's of low level gear is got on quests and dungeons. People are just making assumptions that a few rich players will destroy servers, because it didnt even happen on 1.0 already.

Yes, but the small % of players that meet all those requirements I mentioned above are going to create a monopoly of highly sought items, even if there's nothing to gain from selling low level swords and rings. There's many more ways to exploit the market when people are leveling up, and when they reach lv50 and start looking for HQs, or mats to level their crafts, that's when the established crafters and gatherers will be set to dominate the market at their own pace, and at least until a large influx of new crafters and gatherers (and RMTs) reach lv50 and shake up the market.

I hated how in FFXI I had to recreate my character over and over to get on the server where all my friends were playing. We all just started and were too cheap to buy a World Pass.

So far I've been playing as a CNJ and the controls for PS3 feels weird to me when I'm healing others. I feel like it takes me too much time to select people and heal. Even using the party member controls and then cure. Maybe I'll get quicker the more I get use to it? My current computer cannot run FF14 and I don't have the money to build a PC to play. This weekend I think I'll try Archer and see if I can open up Bard. I was a RDM in FFXI and keeping up buffs and debuffs while tossing out a few heals is where I have fun.

Unfortunately, Bard in XIV is not the same kind of Bard as it was in FFXI. Most of your time as Bard in XIV will be doing damage, not tossing heals. And you can buff, but I feel like it's a small part of Bard now considering you can just do one song at a time, and it basically has to be channeled for it to still be active (you can do other stuff while you are doing a song, though). Personally, I would have preferred an almost exact copy of Bard from FFXI.

Also remember that you cannot unlock jobs in the current beta, at least as of the last update. It's possible they may unlock early job quests for testing due to the extended schedule, but don't count on this. This upcoming test is all about the Duty Finder and making it work right, so test that a lot.

Teknoman

Really the whole Legacy thing has been an amazing clusterfuck for players. There has to be a better way to manage the transition than what Squenix is doing. Of course this is the same Squenix that once had it set up where you couldn't even pick which server you landed on in FFXI back in the day, so it was IMPOSSIBLE to play with any of your friends. Why does Squenix hate friendship?

"Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away."

Egnirys

Unfortunately, Bard in XIV is not the same kind of Bard as it was in FFXI. Most of your time as Bard in XIV will be doing damage, not tossing heals. And you can buff, but I feel like it's a small part of Bard now considering you can just do one song at a time, and it basically has to be channeled for it to still be active (you can do other stuff while you are doing a song, though). Personally, I would have preferred an almost exact copy of Bard from FFXI.
That is such a disappointment. I really wanted to play a class like how BRD or RDM in FFXIV. Maybe I'll stick with CNJ and later WHM and hope I get more use to the controls. Damn man, I was even yelling at the recent video when there was a BRD shooting stuff. >.>

Alexanderon

Neo Member
FFXI is a very different case were gilsellers were rampant and your performance relied highly in the gear you had, now with gear drops on dungeons and in quests is not the same.

You didn't even need japan/US players to fuck things, it was a matter of time eitherway.

I suppose that's true, but I still think it would affect the economy and give a clear advantage to 1.0 players with millions of gil compared to those with zero.

Besides, do you really feel like they're treating you like a disease with the lifetime monthly fee discount?

That is such a disappointment. I really wanted to play a class like how BRD or RDM in FFXIV. Maybe I'll stick with CNJ and later WHM and hope I get more use to the controls. Damn man, I was even yelling at the recent video when there was a BRD shooting stuff. >.>

I have a sneaking suspicion that Scholar will be more in line with what Bard was in XI.

Is there anyway I can download the client for a friend?

He doesnt have a great Internet speed and would like to play it this weekend with the key he's received.

If not, then he'll just have to download it and wait.

Yes, but the small % of players that meet all those requirements I mentioned above are going to create a monopoly of highly sought items, even if there's nothing to gain from selling low level swords and rings. There's many more ways to exploit the market when people are leveling up, and when they reach lv50 and start looking for HQs, or mats to level their crafts, that's when the established crafters and gatherers will be set to dominate the market at their own pace, and at least until a large influx of new crafters and gatherers (and RMTs) reach lv50 and shake up the market.

But with the new players comes a new influx of gatherers and crafters and all those will "feed" each other without the need of high level gatherers. The rich players will have the market of Legacy players, something that will happen in legacy servers in any case.

The worst is housing, this is were prices can go insane in the first months, but after all housing is something new players won't look at it until months in the game.

All these are assumptions, the fact is no one knows if it would have been a problem, but SE is taking measures for a problem it dosn't exists.

kierwynn

I created a new char for p3 on Cerberus (EU), because that was the name of the server I was on FFXI.

Oh, hey- I was on Cerberus for FFXI, too! I kind of wanted to make one on Cerb for beta for the same reasons. lol

I have a sneaking suspicion that Scholar will be more in line with what Bard was in XI.

I hope this is the case, honestly. I was a bard in FFXI and I loved the job, so I'm kind of disappointed it's so different. I've always preferred doing healing/support more than damage.

But with the new players comes a new influx of gatherers and crafters and all those will "feed" each other without the need of high level gatherers. The rich players will have the market of Legacy players, something that will happen in legacy servers in any case.

The worst is housing, this is were prices can go insane in the first months, but after all housing is something new players won't look at it until months in the game.

All these are assumptions, the fact is no one knows if it would have been a problem, but SE is taking measures for a problem it dosn't exists.

Preemptive-strike

I know exactly how you feel. Both Red Mage and Bard were my *favorite* jobs in FFXI because of the buffing, debuffing, and backup healing they did. I think the closest thing you'll have to that is a Conjurer/White Mage. I'm even a little disappointed that Shell is not in the game. You get a trait as Conjurer later that gives Protect an added magic defense boost (the trait is called Proshell iirc). I would have rather just had two spells, tbh.

I really hope you are right. I am a big fan of the more support-type classes in MMOs.

I have to admit, the lack of support/healing classes in ARR so far is really strange, especially since I know YoshiP's been bewailing it. He knows there needs to be robust support options or not a lot of people will go that route, so I'm not quite sure why he hasn't gone even further than what we've seen now in adding those roles to the game. I really, really suspect we'll see another supporter or some sort get added as the next job.

Khrno

SCH should have healing abilities, because I really doubt that SMN would suit the role. ACN will be able to heal thanks to Carbuncle, and SCH thanks to the Fairy.

I have to admit, the lack of support/healing classes in ARR so far is really strange, especially since I know YoshiP's been bewailing it. He knows there needs to be robust support options or not a lot of people will go that route, so I'm not quite sure why he hasn't gone even further than what we've seen now in adding those roles to the game. I really, really suspect we'll see another supporter or some sort get added as the next job.

SCH and WHM are the healing jobs.

True about support classes, but BRD has support abilities and I hope SMN fills that role.

So after watching Developer's Commentary: Duty Finder, I noticed they didn't mention anything about being able to vote people out or kicking people from a group. Which is kind of weird, because the guy kept talking about how he used to fall asleep in his groups (I knew someone who used to use Dynamis as nap time) and you would think him saying that would perfectly segment into that topic...

But yeah, assholes come in many different varieties in these types of games, I hope the decision within a group doesn't become 'put up with it, or disband' because that would suck. And if they forgo the voting system and go with the random group leader upon creation like I'm assuming it's going to be, what happens if particular asshole ends up being the group leader lol.

SCH and WHM are the healing jobs.

Yes, but I'm surprised there aren't more, especially since YoshiP's said straight out that the DD-to-healtank ratio is currently whack in terms of number of existing classes/jobs. Healing/support is always the hardest role to get people into, and one of the best ways to do that is options.

Egnirys

The only issue I have had with multiple classes that can heal is that people will always go with the WHM over anyone else. Then again, when my fiance left FFXI people were choosing SCH over WHM.

The only issue I have had with multiple classes that can heal is that people will always go with the WHM over anyone else. Then again, when my fiance left FFXI people were choosing SCH over WHM.

That kind of situation has more to do with how those jobs are balanced between each other and how the dev team will handle them over time. FFXI isn't a good example of role balance over time.

WoW has 5 different healers (6 if you want to separate Discipline/Holy Priests) and they each have differing strengths and playstyles. Each have been occasionally tweaked over a long period of time.

Teknoman

Looking at the Duty Finder, I think i'd only use it as a last resort, or maybe if someone dropped midway through a dungeon. Not really interested in partnering up with players from other worlds.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Looking at the Duty Finder, I think i'd only use it as a last resort, or maybe if someone dropped midway through a dungeon. Not really interested in partnering up with players from other worlds.

This is what killed the sense of realm community WoW..definitely. Not having that local pvp community makes that game unplayable for me now.

Riposte

Unfortunately, I don't think most people will feel the same way, making search (or even shouting, which I don't like) pretty obsolete when they can just push the "find dungeon" button. Hopefully they do something to protect community growth. I'm not exactly counting on it... empty, atmosphereless communities is the norm of MMOs and Yoshi-P and co seem to really want to make FFXIV a normal MMO, so they may not even see the difference.

Teknoman

Unfortunately, I don't think most people will feel the same way, making search (or even shouting, which I don't like) pretty obsolete when they can just push the "find dungeon" button. Hopefully they do something to protect community growth. I'm not exactly counting on it...

Hopefully players will just try to recruit in this order of importance:

• Free Company
  • Linkshell
  • Friend List
  • Random people near the necessary areas/shouting
  • Duty finder

Thats what I plan to do anyway.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Unfortunately, I don't think most people will feel the same way, making search (or even shouting, which I don't like) pretty obsolete when they can just push the "find dungeon" button. Hopefully they do something to protect community growth. I'm not exactly counting on it... empty, atmosphereless communities is the norm of MMOs and Yoshi-P and co seem to really want to make FFXIV a normal MMO, so they may not even see the difference.

It's really only dps that use the finder anyway..those lazy slobs.

Azzurri

Yea, it's pretty sad how they stream lined ARR into a normal MMO, since FFXI is still one of a kind.

Riposte

Guild runs will always be relevant, even with one button dungeon finders.

That's not really a solution to my problem. I think restricting communities to little corners called guilds is not a good thing. Better than nothing I suppose.

EDIT: Let me clarify that: IIRC you won't be able to send messages to people on different servers?

mackaveli

Hopefully players will just try to recruit in this order of importance:

• Free Company
  • Linkshell
  • Friend List
  • Random people near the necessary areas/shouting
  • Duty finder

Thats what I plan to do anyway.

I fast forwarded the duty finder video but can you use the duty finder if you are in a party?

Like you pick up one person from FC, then another from LS, but can't get anymore.

Can you use the Duty Finder to fill that last spot??

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I fast forwarded the duty finder video but can you use the duty finder if you are in a party?

Like you pick up one person from FC, then another from LS, but can't get anymore.

Can you use the Duty Finder to fill that last spot??

Yup, best thing about it actually

Einbroch

Banned
That's not really a solution to my problem. I think restricting communities to little corners called guilds is not a good thing. Better than nothing I suppose.

EDIT: Let me clarify that: IIRC you won't be able to send messages to people on different servers?
In every game that has cross realm grouping you can send messages, I believe. WoW, yes. TERA, I'm pretty sure.

Oh you mean in FFXIV? I have no idea.

Soroc

Yeah you can't send a /t or receive any while in an instance. You still have free company access though, I think linkshell access too. It is a little weird and crappy especially since if you send someone a tell that's in an instance it just fails instead of receiving them later when exiting the instance.

People have complained about no whispers in instances since Phase 1. Squenix seem pretty uninterested in player feedback there for unknown reasons.

Their excuse was that the instance was on a different server than your own, but.. if that's the case, how does the linkshell/free company chat work but whispers/tells don't? Besides, other games that have dungeon finders allow you to whisper/tell other people on your server during dungeons, so the technology is obviously there. *shrug*

People have complained about no whispers in instances since Phase 1. Squenix seem pretty uninterested in player feedback there for unknown reasons.

I would assume that it is one of those hard technical reasons, as to why they don't seem to be listening to the feedback about it. You can kinda assume that for anything that doesn't get addressed but a lot of people talk about.

However they handle instances is goofy as fuck though, that's for sure. The whole reforming the party every time you enter and exit for one, and the no talking to anyone else, along with any kind of time limit. Also how you can only do them in a full party, have to be ported in instead of there just being a zoneline as well. Not sure if these are all some sort of technical limitation to the system they have made, but I wouldn't be surprised.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You dont need to send tells to your own party in an instance anyways unless for some reason you are scheming something or talking shit about another player. If you got something to say just say it in the open and work on your social skills so you dont come off like a total douche and maybe the person in question will improve.

I dont mind LS still working in a dungeon cause you need to be able to get a hold of someway or another. Though in the end it could be used for the same reasons above haha. I feel like it just cuts down on the slacking off. Though Im pretty god damn sure that's not why it's the way it is

Shouta

Lancer for DPS

Solo it's probably Archer

Tanking it's Marauder

Pugilist is probably more active than Lancer for damage dealers as you get higher and into levels. Stances plus damage boosts based on the direction you're fighting the enemy from will require quite a bit of control and movement to get the most out of your attacks.

Aeana

Duty finder stuff sounds good. It's not particularly revolutionary compared to other games, but it should be a baseline feature in MMORPGs at this point anyway. Glad it factors in level sync and lets you change jobs and stuff. Though it seems kinda weird that you have to change back manually - seems like it could do that on its own.

You dont need to send tells to your own party in an instance anyways unless for some reason you are scheming something or talking shit about another player. If you got something to say just say it in the open and work on your social skills so you dont come off like a total douche and maybe the person in question will improve.

I dont mind LS still working in a dungeon cause you need to be able to get a hold of someway or another. Though in the end it could be used for the same reasons above haha. I feel like it just cuts down on the slacking off. Though Im pretty god damn sure that's not why it's the way it is

I don't even know what happened here, but ok.

No, I want to have tells in instances so I can talk to people OUTSIDE THE INSTANCE.

But you keep on believing that everyone is talking about you behind your back there. Because wow, what even brought this on? Paranoid much?

thefil

I'm so nervous about starting in this game. I'm completely worried it's going to degrade into a community of individuals like WoW, and be not fun to play in the long term. I find myself torn between playing this and trying to get into FFXI again. My original character is long gone but I should be able to find my level 30ish WHM/RDM to pick up...

I just don't know what to do ;_;.

I don't even know what happened here, but ok.

No, I want to have tells in instances so I can talk to people OUTSIDE THE INSTANCE.

But you keep on believing that everyone is talking about you behind your back there. Because wow, what even brought this on? Paranoid much?

Yeah, I was a little confused by his post as well. We were talking about being able to message/tell friends OUTSIDE of the dungeon, not the people in the group with us. Sometimes I don't want to chat in the linkshell and just want to message one of my friends. I don't think that is really too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom