• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
think so? It looks like the sister was the one straying off the path. Then again could be a case of his ambition outweighing all logic.

Huh I thought it was the sis was the one that didn't want to tamper with stuff? The grandson is wanting to alter time and shit while the girl trying to tell him that fucking with time like that is never good

Shouldn't be a problem. Dps shouldn't jump around until a mob is dead, and tank should have the next target targeted when it is.

Don't get me wrong. The marking system is useful, but it is a crutch. A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players. What I was saying though is that it is best not to plan on tanks using it, since some won't, and rely on methods that will always be there. Assisting targets will always be there. Marked targets is a happy surprise that will help bad dps stay on point.

Organization is good and makes things faster it doesn't matter if people are bad or good. It helps for random groups as well. Cuts down on time spent talking about order of attack with people they never played with and lets the group move on.

While it wont always be there that's more on the fault of the tanks being bad at that point that's one of their roles in random groups. Standard in mmo's these days.

Road

Don't think you understand what I am saying. Yes it is a helpful tool that is good when a tank uses it. Just saying that people shouldn't rely on it since it is something that a tank may decide not to use so will not be there. This isn't coming from a tank that wants to remain lazy, but a lifelong melee dps that wants other players to learn how to not split dps/be bad.

Sorry, I should have highlighted what I was arguing against. You said it was a
"A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players", which is what I was disagreeing with. I think it helps good players just as well (in fact it could be made a case it helps more good players because a bad player won't be playing attention to them in the first place =P).

I agree that you shouldn't plan your game around it in a duty finder party.

Riposte

Sis seems to be pro-legacy and bro seems to want to have that stuff stay forgotten. I feel like this is a reflection of the real world.

"A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players", which is what I was disagreeing with. I think it helps good players just as well (in fact it could be made a case it helps more good players because a bad player won't be playing attention to them in the first place =P).

Going to just have to agree to disagree at this point. There is a difference between a bad player, and one that can't follow large signs over a mobs head. Markings are a crunch that a well oiled group shouldn't need. Good dps will know to assist, good tanks will know to move onto another mob before the last is dead, and good casters will know to control a mob not being attacked. If everyone is doing what they should, markings are superfluous. That being said, it doesn't take a lot to macro signs to a pulling skill so there is nothing lost by doing it. If you are ever taking extra time to stop and mark things though either you, or someone in your party is doing something wrong.

Ferr986

Some of these fates seem fun but no one is doing it once they did it the first time :(

Yeah, theres a lot of people that walks up and ignore a FATE ocurring.
I try to do them everytime I encounter one, they're super short, you get some exp and you may be helping someone too.

Being in a group of over 25 people all riding chocobos around Drybone doing FATEs was pretty awesome.

After 30 tries of Brayflox's I still haven't gotten the gauntlets.

I guess I've been fortunate that all the duty finder parties I've been in have been populated with people who pretty much look at what everyone is doing and all sort of fall into place with each other. I'm the tank, and sometimes from the GAF FC I'll take a DPS or two. I usually have to DF the healer because damn are we short on healers in GAF FC right now.

In general, I just make sure people understand that as the tank, I'll pull the group. I'll Tomahawk the mob I want killed first, and the DPS generally realize that the only mob with the red name is the one to attack. The mage(s) then proceed to sleep the mobs with yellow names. When the mob I'm hitting is about to die, I'll move to the one I want killed next and wake it from sleep. The DPS will generally see which one I'm hitting and move to it when the first one is dead. Meanwhile the healer is, uh, healing.

This seems to work just fine in the DF parties I've been in. People figure out pretty quickly what's going on and just do it without a bunch of chatting or arguing, and I never mark targets for kill order in DF parties. It just works.

If additional groups add, I usually switch to Overpower spamming to hold all the extra mobs. At this point methodical sleep-and-kill goes out the window, we all just start AoEing the shit out of everything until it's dead. As long as I keep the OP spam up, the healer can spamheal me and won't pull anything off me. If I burn my TP too fast this way, I'll use Flash to hold them until they are all dead.

Is there a way to toggle the UI on and off ?

I'm playing the game on PS3 and I have a small TV, some of the vistas are beautiful but the UI takes a huge portion of the screen...

i swear. a good party makes all the difference in tam tara, or anywhere for that matter. tanks have absolutely no idea how to tank, and we either have the mage running around everywhere or me as my LNC doing all the work.

dude do you not know you have flash?????

Anteater

I'm playing the game on PS3 and I have a small TV, some of the vistas are beautiful but the UI takes a huge portion of the screen...

Those UIs are huge no matter what TV you have :(

I don't know why they can't run the UI at 1080p, everything are so fucking huge at 720.

Those UIs are huge no matter what TV you have :(

I don't know why they can't run the UI at 1080p, everything are so fucking huge at 720.

Yeah, I agree...
I have a pretty shitty eyesight so I usually don't like it when the UI is too small but this is pushing it, it almost takes half of the screen !

FFXI on 360 was actually much better in that regard.

omlet

On PC the Scroll Lock key toggles the UI. I don't know about on the PS3.

UI scaling is on the way, too, it's just not in beta right now.

Hellix

THM is so much more fun than anything else so far.

Still bummed that there aren't elemental weaknesses though. Wish they had made the ice/lightning mechanic some other pair of spells and had all elements act like fire.

THM feels very underwhelming. My main was a BLM in XI, and this does not feel as fun to play. But, I only leveled it to 10 just to get a feel for it. I don't know if it gets better later on.

On PC the Scroll Lock key toggles the UI. I don't know about on the PS3.

UI scaling is on the way, too, it's just not in beta right now.

Thank god because right now your target's health is displayed in 3 or 4 places on the screen. I only need it in one spot.

Organization is good and makes things faster it doesn't matter if people are bad or good. It helps for random groups as well. Cuts down on time spent talking about order of attack with people they never played with and lets the group move on.

While it wont always be there that's more on the fault of the tanks being bad at that point that's one of their roles in random groups. Standard in mmo's these days.

I disagree, sitting there marking each mob one by one would drastically kill the flow of a dungeon run. If anything, just toss a single mark out and charge.

THM feels very underwhelming. My main was a BLM in XI, and this does not feel as fun to play. But, I only leveled it to 10 just to get a feel for it. I don't know if it gets better later on.

It does get a bit more entertaining/fun the higher you get it because of certain traits and abilities. It is a VERY different class than how BLM was in FFXI, though so I don't know how much you'll like it even then.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anyone running this at 60 fps ish around here? I have a super computer here but it's barely running 30. What the heck?

MogCakes

I can't comment on how easy or not this is, as I've not played a tank class yet. Just to clarify though, the post which I was replying to with my comment was (I believe) advocating that the tank constantly circles the current enemy for the entire fight. I've seen it happen several times in FATEs and once in a party. Kinda goofy looking and I found it real tough to see if I was positioning my PUG's rear and side abilities properly.

I was the guy who said that :p However, simply circle strafing for no reason is dumb. I meant more to keep on your toes and always make sure the boss's back is to your party. I use side strafing back and forth to keep the boss from being able to spam attacks so quickly. I did NOT know that PUGs require front/side/rear positioning for their skills, I empathize with your plight.

Anyone running this at 60 fps ish around here? I have a super computer here but it's barely running 30. What the heck?

We don't know what your definition of a 'super computer' is. Give us some specs and we can help you out.

I can keep it locked at 60 fps in most places on my machine if I don't use AA. If I force too much SGSSAA I can easily crush it down to 20 fps.

kayos90

We don't know what your definition of a 'super computer' is. Give us some specs and we can help you out.

I can keep it locked at 60 fps in most places on my machine if I don't use AA. If I force too much SGSSAA I can easily crush it down to 20 fps.

I just copied and pasted my stuff from an existing post. This is what I have.

Intel i7-3770k Processor
Gigabyte GTX 670
Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
1TB HDD
8GB 1600 RAM
Silencer Mk II 750W PSU
Antec D-35 Case

It should definitely be running the game better.

omlet

...Are you sure you don't have the 30FPS lock turned on in the game options?

Are you forcing AA? Forcing 4x AA crushes my FPS but I can get 60 full time with no forced AA and 55+ full time with 2x forced with a 670 and an i5.

Baleoce

Is there any quick macroable way to set signs up? "target to attack 1" etc.

I get the feeling I'm using "set focus target" wrongly, or I'm misunderstanding its function. But basically I'm looking for a way to do a sign saying to either attack a certain mob first, or avoid one. in a single hit macro.

Is there any quick macroable way to set signs up? "target to attack 1" etc.

I get the feeling I'm using "set focus target" wrongly, or I'm misunderstanding its function. But basically I'm looking for a way to do a sign saying to either attack a certain mob first, or avoid one. in a single hit macro.

/marking or /mk [target type]
(Set a sign on the specified target. Uses current target when not specified.)

Target types:
attack1–5
bind1–3
ignore1–2
circle
cross
square
triangle
off (Turns off enemy sign.)

Example:
/marking attack1 (Sets sign “Target to Attack 1” on current target.)

Or if you were wanting to make one for CC/Sleep:

/marking ignore1
or
/marking bind1

So if I were making a party macro to Sleep an enemy in a group, I might do something like:

/ac "Sleep" <t> (or use <mo> if I wanted to do a mouseover macro)
/marking ignore1
/p {Sleep} -> <t> {Please don't attack.}

Does that help?

Varna

I just copied and pasted my stuff from an existing post. This is what I have.

Intel i7-3770k Processor
Gigabyte GTX 670
Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
1TB HDD
8GB 1600 RAM
Silencer Mk II 750W PSU
Antec D-35 Case

It should definitely be running the game better.

I have a similar PC (690, but it's effectively a 680 since this game doesn't scale at all at the moment). I use FXAA on top of whatever the in-game option is suppose to do.

I get fairly consistent 60 FPS with every on max.

What do you have your CPU clocked at?

kayos90

I have a similar PC (690, but it's effectively a 680 since this game doesn't scale at all at the moment). I use FXAA on top of whatever the in-game option is suppose to do.

I get fairly consistent 60 FPS with every on max.

What do you have your CPU clocked at?

It's not overclocked. I use a stock fan and I'm afraid of overclocking as a result.

I tinkered with it and I'm noticing a trend. No matter what graphical setting I have it sits at around 22-24 fps. I think it might be a particular setting that the game is on or something else... it's really weird...

Khatoz

Where the heck can I mine Earth Shards? Or should I just become a botanist or alchemist to get them?

Yeah I don't think the mining nodes with Ice and Earth shards are in this beta. You can get crafting leves that give you 32-38 shards if you're an armorer, although this is random.

oSoLucky

i swear. a good party makes all the difference in tam tara, or anywhere for that matter. tanks have absolutely no idea how to tank, and we either have the mage running around everywhere or me as my LNC doing all the work.

dude do you not know you have flash?????

That's a problem that you get in every MMO, especially right around launch time, as there are bound to be tons of players that don't know or care enough to figure out how to play the game the right way. Tanks are definitely the most apparent though, but at least this game is very forgiving in the sense that(at least at low levels) non-tank characters can take enough damage for a healer to keep them up through nearly anything in a dungeon. Every one of the 30 something dungeons that I've run except 2, I was getting aggro with the very first heal of the pull, about 5-8 seconds in and I rarely died.

Shouldn't be a problem. Dps shouldn't jump around until a mob is dead, and tank should have the next target targeted when it is.

Don't get me wrong. The marking system is useful, but it is a crutch. A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players. What I was saying though is that it is best not to plan on tanks using it, since some won't, and rely on methods that will always be there. Assisting targets will always be there. Marked targets is a happy surprise that will help bad dps stay on point.

Sadly, blue aggro/Enmity bars are apparently really hard to follow. I am glad that markers are in for keeping track of CC targets. That makes a world of difference when you're trying to CC one target and keep your focus on another.

Baleoce

/marking or /mk [target type]
(Set a sign on the specified target. Uses current target when not specified.)

Target types:
attack1–5
bind1–3
ignore1–2
circle
cross
square
triangle
off (Turns off enemy sign.)

Example:
/marking attack1 (Sets sign “Target to Attack 1” on current target.)

Or if you were wanting to make one for CC/Sleep:

/marking ignore1
or
/marking bind1

So if I were making a party macro to Sleep an enemy in a group, I might do something like:

/ac "Sleep" <t> (or use <mo> if I wanted to do a mouseover macro)
/marking ignore1
/p {Sleep} -> <t> {Please don't attack.}

Does that help?

That's perfect thank you :)

Khrno

Uncapped fps go up to 90 sometimes on my system, constant 60 with fps capped. So there's something wrong with your PC, some other program or service might be interfering, like antivirus, java, windows update, windows media player, etc. Basically something else is running and using lots of cpu.

Zomba13

Just attempted Sashtana (is that it? The level 15 dungeon with pirates) and failed hard.
Bunch of us waiting using the Duty Finder not getting anywhere so teamed up. Didn't have a healer, me as GLD, one THM, one PGL and one MRD. Made it to end boss. Had trouble. Probably would have made it the second time once we got someone on splishy-splashy duty but then the MRD dropped and we couldn't kick him to get someone else to join in progress and then we kept failing.

Took so long to get there too.

Oh well. Always tomorrow.

That's a problem that you get in every MMO, especially right around launch time, as there are bound to be tons of players that don't know or care enough to figure out how to play the game the right way. Tanks are definitely the most apparent though, but at least this game is very forgiving in the sense that(at least at low levels) non-tank characters can take enough damage for a healer to keep them up through nearly anything in a dungeon. Every one of the 30 something dungeons that I've run except 2, I was getting aggro with the very first heal of the pull, about 5-8 seconds in and I rarely died.

Sadly, blue aggro/Enmity bars are apparently really hard to follow. I am glad that markers are in for keeping track of CC targets. That makes a world of difference when you're trying to CC one target and keep your focus on another.

yeah i know what you mean. in XI and WoW, actually pretty much any MMO ive always been a tank. i shouldnt be complaining because you are right, its still new and quite honestly i find the situations, to be at times frustrating but fun nonetheless.

sometimes haha.

one of the groups the tank d/c but never actually left the game so he was still in the party, so we just ended up doing it as a 3-man. then another time the tank didnt know what he was doing, i couldnt hold aggro and the mage was getting ALL of it. i was like hey man sorry about all this and he was like oh its cool, im used to soloing a lot.

Xux

Where the heck can I mine Earth Shards? Or should I just become a botanist or alchemist to get them?
Botanist can get them in Black Shroud at level one or Miner can get them in La Noscea or Black Shroud at level 11 from level 15 nodes.

Yeah, theres a lot of people that walks up and ignore a FATE ocurring.
I try to do them everytime I encounter one, they're super short, you get some exp and you may be helping someone too.

I'm ignoring most of them at phase 3, just because I'm exploring the world and doing the story as a Bard, which I already have at level 50. But I'm sure I'll do almost all the FATEs I see after the release, even if I'm with a lvl 50 class, because they give Gran Company seals as a reward, besides exp :)

Earlier this morning I went to Sastasha with 4 people (actually a bunch of cool guys,very helpful) 2 Marauders, 1 healer and me (Lancer) had a lot of fun,died only once,but we didn't knew what we were getting into so it was ok, we planned around a little and finished it,Can't wait to go and play again later.

Khrno

ahhh my ADD is kicking in im trying to get pieces of gear from a set even though IT WILL ALL BE GONE IN TWO DAYS

:(

I'm in the same situation right now, 5/6 Cavalry, just missing the body.

Can someone confirm what's the best weapon color/level from Brayflox? Is it pink/31?

Playing through this right now gives me a lot of FFXII vibes. I might actually decide to stick around when it launches.

The music in the game definitely helps though. It actually makes me want to keep going instead of boring me out lol.

Napophis

With every mob being tagged with an alphabet letter, there's really not much needed in terms of marking. When i was running dungeons with me friends, we'd basically DPS mobs in order of the alphabet, seemed easy enough. Just a lil bit of communication at the start of a run to establish what is what.

Taruranto

Somehow i completely missed the desert...lol.

M781Jza.jpg

Can't believe i'm already level 34. If this was XI, i still would be in the dunes, lol.

Varna

It's not overclocked. I use a stock fan and I'm afraid of overclocking as a result.

I tinkered with it and I'm noticing a trend. No matter what graphical setting I have it sits at around 22-24 fps. I think it might be a particular setting that the game is on or something else... it's really weird...

Might want to invest in Hyper 212 or Corsair h100i and start OC a bit. MMOs are incredibly cpu dependent and can gain tremendous performance boost from a decent oc.

I'm in the same situation right now, 5/6 Cavalry, just missing the body.

Can someone confirm what's the best weapon color/level from Brayflox? Is it pink/31?

i got lucky early on in my first few dungeons and am sitting 4/6 foestriker and 2/6 plundered. ive seen the other 2 foestriker pieces and rolled need but so did someone else and i lost both. and i havent seen them since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom