• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Just got the ability to change classes. Am I just supposed to get out there and grind since quests aren't repeatable?

Hunting logs, FATEs, dungeons, guildhests and guildleves.

Game is designed to encourage you to focus on just 1 class for the first 15-20 levels. After that you'll have the dungeons unlocked and guildleves unlocked and accumulating as well as easy access to the other cities and a grand company.

No idea how to get there. And even so, that would support an additional 2 classes I'd imagine? Eventually leveling is going to be a pain, no?

Yep, and that's the point, to an extent. They want new players to be able to get "caught up" with a level 50 class quickly but additional classes for versatility and cross-class benefits require more work, as they should.

It won't be as bad as you think once you have all the leveling tools available to you.

Stupid question here, but what is the level cap right now?

It's 50, technically, if you have an existing character. That'll be the real cap at launch.

But you won't really be able to level that high with a new character in beta because there's only content to get you to 20ish (then I think the minstrel will bump you to 29? and there is a level 30 dungeon). I think 35 is about as high as you can realistically get?

Epcott

Not sure if my connection is laggy, but in Copperbell Mines (or other dungeons) members will just vanish. Or I'll be beside them and cast heal and it says they're not in range. Or their location on screen and on map are not the same. Ugh, it's frustraiting.

It's just sad when you're CNJ and you watch your mates get pulverized right before your eyes without being able to save them.

Kandinsky

After 27 runs of that last dungeon only one mage piece dropped it was boots and another player got them, so yeah I understand the mage/melee ratio in this game is well bad, but that is just bullshit, I went through the same shit in FFXI and wont do it again for this, just not worth it.

FUSE.

/salty

Khrno

After 27 runs of that last dungeon only one mage piece dropped it was boots and another player got them, so yeah I understand the mage/melee ratio in this game is well bad, but that is just bullshit, I went through the same shit in FFXI and wont do it again for this, just not worth it.

FUSE.

/salty

Nah, that's just your luck which seems to suck. I did 6 Brayflox runs tonight and mostly mage stuff dropped, 1 body, 3 feet, 3 legs, 2 hands, a weapon, and few more pieces from the other 2 sets, with the usual pink pieces from the steel set.

dramatis

FUSE.

/salty
I've had one run where nothing but mage drops and the other members were salty.

Nah, that's just your luck which seems to suck. I did 6 Brayflox runs tonight and mostly mage stuff dropped, 1 body, 3 feet, 3 legs, 2 hands, a weapon, and few more pieces from the other 2 sets, with the usual pink pieces from the steel set.

Yeah, I've only been in Brayflox 3 times (I'm capped now) but all 3 times, a ton of mage stuff from the Battlemage set dropped. I saw a couple of nice Aetherial Steel items and I yoinked those.

The downside to being the tank is you have a lot more responsibility than the DPS. The upside is that you get to keep all the tank drops for yourself, so you can get geared faster so you can tank better so you don't die. As much.

Not sure if my connection is laggy, but in Copperbell Mines (or other dungeons) members will just vanish. Or I'll be beside them and cast heal and it says they're not in range. Or their location on screen and on map are not the same. Ugh, it's frustraiting.

It's just sad when you're CNJ and you watch your mates get pulverized right before your eyes without being able to save them.

There is something wrong with the instance servers or something. I've died twice in Haukke Manor where I was clearly outside the circle of the bomb which spawns and goes off next to the last boss. One time I was almost to the other side of the room when it blew and somehow the server decided I was still standing right by the boss and I died. WTF Squenix.

Khrno

The downside to being the tank is you have a lot more responsibility than the DPS. The upside is that you get to keep all the tank drops for yourself, so you can get geared faster so you can tank better so you don't die. As much.

I guess the only class that can't have the drops for itself during a run is THM, since there will always be a CNJ (or maybe ACN), so they will always have to compete, meanwhile CNJs and dps can get lucky and be the only ones for Needs.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend all day running Brayflox, I refuse to end the beta without the complete Cavalry set.

Uh, no shit? Are you new to marking mobs? thats how it normally goes down

Your post insinuates making an "order" kill mobs, so I assumed you were talking about literally sitting there and marking mobs one by one. And I'm saying no, that kills the flow and adds needlessly to the time it takes to complete a dungeon.

Khrno

There is something wrong with the instance servers or something. I've died twice in Haukke Manor where I was clearly outside the circle of the bomb which spawns and goes off next to the last boss. One time I was almost to the other side of the room when it blew and somehow the server decided I was still standing right by the boss and I died. WTF Squenix.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the latency problems, however I have yet to encounter any lag at all during this phase. Maybe I've just been lucky and my connection has always managed to stay lag free, but whatever the case, the problem is still there for some and it must be something hard to either detect or fix, since it doesn't happen to most people, basically is no where near as bad as what happened with 1.0, but I hoped they fix the problem by launch.

7P1OMX3aS.gif
a8iCbm.gif

Your post insinuates making an "order" kill mobs, so I assumed you were talking about literally sitting there and marking mobs one by one. And I'm saying no, that kills the flow and adds needlessly to the time it takes to complete a dungeon.

I share your feeling about marking mobs, but I find it helpful to at least mark the initial mob from a bunch of 3-4. So what I did was to make a macro with Tomahawk:
/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Tomahawk" <t>

That marks and obviously attacks the mob with Tomahawk, effectively pulling the group of mobs. I also have the bind1 mark on the hotbar for when I feel like telling the people not to attack that particular mob first, as if pulling with that macro wasn't self-explanatory.

Yeah, I just stumbled upon the desert yesterday:

I like it along with the little oasis village. Maybe I just couldn't find the npc, but is there no levequest NPC there? I'd like to do some levequests in the desert, but I couldn't find anyone.

Also... Today, I stumbled across someone named "Yaoi Fanfic"... >.> <.<

Sheppard

I share your feeling about marking mobs, but I find it helpful to at least mark the initial mob from a bunch of 3-4. So what I did was to make a macro with Tomahawk:
/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Tomahawk" <t>

That marks and obviously attacks the mob with Tomahawk, effectively pulling the group of mobs. I also have the bind1 mark on the hotbar for when I feel like telling the people not to attack that particular mob first, as if pulling with that macro wasn't self-explanatory.

Thank you for being amazing. Running through these things as THM , I sleep one of the many mobs that come down and for some reason the other players think 'OH SHIT MUST HIT THE SLEPT MOB'.

Thank you for marking everyone should do it..

Soraan, I have seen them around too lol.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the latency problems, however I have yet to encounter any lag at all during this phase. Maybe I've just been lucky and my connection has always managed to stay lag free, but whatever the case, the problem is still there for some and it must be something hard to either detect or fix, since it doesn't happen to most people, basically is no where near as bad as what happened with 1.0, but I hoped they fix the problem by launch.

Yeah, I've had that happen to me (the gifs) on like Ifrit and a few other regular enemies. I really hope they fix it before people get into the "end game" stuff... It'll only lead to people being yelled at for getting hit when on their screen, they were out of the circle already. *shrug*

Khrno

Yeah, I just stumbled upon the desert yesterday:

I like it along with the little oasis village. Maybe I just couldn't find the npc, but is there no levequest NPC there? I'd like to do some levequests in the desert, but I couldn't find anyone.

There's literally nothing (but enemies) in the level 40 areas. I haven't been in the desert nor in whatever area there is in the Black Shroud, but I've been in the La Noscea ones. When you get to the camps only the Aetherytes are active, some don't even have NPCs in them, much less a shop.

Thank you for being amazing. Running through these things as THM , I sleep one of the many mobs that come down and for some reason the other players think 'OH SHIT MUST HIT THE SLEPT MOB'.

I don't like the dps hitting the asleep mobs, the one that wakes them is me, and if it happens to wake up by himself and fly away, then I'm not doing my job properly.

Khrno

How do I repair equipment?

You go to the NPC and pay with your hard earned Gil.

Or you level up the crafting class that can repair each particular piece in case, and repair them yourself.

Or you could look for a crafter to do them for you, but you won't really find them during a beta.

Road

Where's the desert?

I was trying to go everywhere yesterday but I didn't see it. I tried going into the Sahagins cave and some mine but I got obliterated multiple times. haha

There's literally nothing (but enemies) in the level 40 areas. I haven't been in the desert nor in whatever area there is in the Black Shroud, but I've been in the La Noscea ones. When you get to the camps only the Aetherytes are active, some don't even have NPCs in them, much less a shop.

I think there's a place where not even the Aetheryte is working yet.

Is he...in the market area perhaps?

Most NPCs that sell gear also have the "Repair" option. Sometimes they're called Mender. They're in basically every stop, be it a city or camp.

/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Tomahawk" <t>

Oh I'm all about that initial mark though. I'm talking about using more then the initial mark.

That's probably just because of the beta, right? I'd hope so, anyways. I hope there are lots of levequest NPCs, and they aren't just relegated to primary hubs. I'd like a few options when I want to do levequests at various levels. Places like Costa del Sol need a lot more NPCs overall.

Paprikka

Were we going to get more character customization options before release? I think I'm going to switch to Miqo'te on release so I need to remake my character, but if there's going to be more options I'll wait for the benchmark/character creation thing to come out.

falastini

Vas Deferens was the best name I saw.

The whole jobs thing could be made clearer.
So you don't level jobs? They're just something you unlock along the way that you can use for extra/specialized abilities/traits?

erawsd

Were we going to get more character customization options before release? I think I'm going to switch to Miqo'te on release so I need to remake my character, but if there's going to be more options I'll wait for the benchmark/character creation thing to come out.

They've said there'll be more hair options when they introduce the barber shop.

Trike

I hate how the story quests goes in to mandatory instance quests. Can't really find any other level appropriate quests besides those after I get the airship passes.

Hey i need help with something. I'm trying to create a Macro so i can easily have 3 macro keys assigned to my loadout so i can easily maintain my heals. I have one that is working fine to cast Cure II on myself. I'm trying to get it so i can have it so when i press a macro it will cast for the person who's in Party slot 2, have a macro for the same for each party slot. To give you an example. This is the Macro code i have so far.

/ac "Cure II" <p2>

P2 is there for so i can cast heal on the second person in the party. It's not correct cause its not working for me.

NM i figured it out :D

3 tank Brayflox is now a thing. 2 GLD, 1 MRD (me), and 1 CNJ cleared it and man, tanks can DPS a lot better than we expected. It actually didn't take as long as we had feared. It was something like a 45 minutes clear time.

I guess this means I'm done with Phase 3. I can't wait for Phase 4 and launch!

Xux

Hey i need help with something. I'm trying to create a Macro so i can easily have 3 macro keys assigned to my loadout so i can easily maintain my heals. I have one that is working fine to cast Cure II on myself. I'm trying to get it so i can have it so when i press a macro it will cast for the person who's in Party slot 2, have a macro for the same for each party slot. To give you an example. This is the Macro code i have so far.

/ac "Cure II" <p2>

P2 is there for so i can cast heal on the second person in the party. It's not correct cause its not working for me.
No P, just <2>.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
3 tank Brayflox is now a thing. 2 GLD, 1 MRD (me), and 1 CNJ cleared it and man, tanks can DPS a lot better than we expected. It actually didn't take as long as we had feared. It was something like a 45 minutes clear time.

I guess this means I'm done with Phase 3. I can't wait for Phase 4 and launch!

I think that dungeon has easier normal mobs than the mansion personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom