• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

what the poop, just how do you get to summerford in middle la noscea

guess it's right at the edge of the map, i just can't find the stupid gob fishers

erawsd

I've this problem and I'm a tank, so it's super annoying. I've to move the second an AOE ring/frontal attack shows up.

I'm European so I've like 150 ms or so, I guess.

2f02j.gif

Fall damage delay.

Yeah, this is something that they have to fix ASAP, its a gamebreaking issue. SWTOR had a similar problem and it made doing any of the more difficult end game stuff extremely frustrating.

Boss Man

I've this problem and I'm a tank, so it's super annoying. I've to move the second an AOE ring/frontal attack shows up.

I'm European so I've like 150 ms or so, I guess.

2f02j.gif

Fall damage delay.
Unfortunately this probably isn't going to go away. It's not a simple connection speed issue, their whole netcode is borked. If they were capable of making it work it would have happened when they redid everything.

Gonna get the "working as intended" line on this I believe.

So, where can I go for more quests my level?

I finished the North Stroud ones and I'm level 9.

It doesnt feel like there's any kind of quest progression from one area to the next.

If there is, I've fucked it up some how :(

Unfortunately this probably isn't going to go away. It's not a simple connection speed issue, their whole netcode is borked. If they were capable of making it work it would have happened when they redid everything.

If it's "working as intended" then people will just get to the endgame and quit. Well, that happens in most MMOs anyways. But Squenix has had nearly a decade to get this right if you count original FFXIV's development time. There is just no excuse for this sort of thing in this day and age.

Khrno

Ugh, that's stupid.

It's not, did you read the reasoning about why such a feature will not be included right now? I'm not gonna post it, you can read it yourself at link provided.

Anyway, if you want to randomly party in your own server you can flag up for party, or search for people LFP, or /shout in Ul'dah. Oh, I guess Yoshida says the same things.

If it's "working as intended" then people will just get to the endgame and quit. Well, that happens in most MMOs anyways. But Squenix has had nearly a decade to get this right if you count original FFXIV's development time. There is just no excuse for this sort of thing in this day and age.

What? The main problem is that Tanaka's project was such a fuck up. You cannot count all the time he wasted making 1.0 on this.

Yoshida has been on this project for 2 years and a half, with the first 6 months trying to fix 1.0 the most he could before deciding to just moving the full force to ARR.

erawsd

If its something that they are incapable of fixing then they need to completely rethink encounter design. You can't have attacks that require players to quickly dodge its effect if the game does such a poor job of tracking player movement.

Okay question Gaf. I made a Macro and its working fine but i would like it to remove the Sign icon above the target that i sleep once the tank or DPS attacks it. Here is my Macro.

/marking bind1
/ac "Repost"
/wait 29
/marking off

Now that wait and marking off, can i change that so when a Tank or DPS hits it, it will remove itself?

What? The main problem is that Tanak's project was such a fuck up. You cannot count all the time he wasted making 1.0 on this.

Yoshida has been on this project for 2 years and a half, with the first 6 months trying to fix 1.0 the most he could before deciding to just moving the full force to ARR.

There is no way that you can believe they threw out all the existing code base, especially back end code like server code. Right?

The client seems to be all new but I can guarantee you the back end stuff was all reused with some tweaking. One does not code an entire new MMO back end in just 1-2 years.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Its not ideal, but I've learned to deal with the AOE and general TP use from mobs. Rarely get hit from them anymore. Just have to be a bit more careful when fighting. Again, it is definitely not ideal by any means, but I'll adapt.

Varna

Funny how a lot of these latency issues are straight out of FFXI. That game was always incredibly laggy and I always had to overcompensate to avoid things like AOE attacks.

It's going to be really sad if this stuff isn't improved when the game launches. We have tons of free to play MMOs that are far more action oriented that managed to have pretty damn good performance in that regard.

In general I wonder why the damn sub is for in the first place. The amount and quality of the content better be worth.

Khrno

There is no way that you can believe they threw out all the existing code base, especially back end code like server code. Right?

The client seems to be all new but I can guarantee you the back end stuff was all reused with some tweaking. One does not code an entire new MMO back end in just 1-2 years.

Well, Yoshida has always said what he hated most about 1.0 was the server code that prevented them from add anything that he wanted and that the game was missing (like a proper search, AH, or some other basic stuff like that) and that it was precisely that what prompted him to go for ARR instead of staying on 1.0

Are they re-using code from 1.0's, Yoshida has said it's all new, you are calling him a liar. I'm not taking any positions on this, since I've said it before, I haven't been affected by lag on either Ragnarok or Cerberus where I've characters during this beta.

And of course "one" does not an entire new MMO in just 2 years, that's why they have 700 people working on it stalling development of everything else that is not under Toriyama.

WolvenOne

Haven't really been noticing any lag issues. Or rather, any lag I've noticed has been short enough that I only barely noticed a delay. For example, jumping off high ledges, I've certainly noticed that the damage wasn't instantaneous, but for me it felt like a half second delay, not 2-3 seconds like in that gif.

It does need to be improved, but I think some people are latching onto some of the more extreme cases, and treating them like the norm. In reality, I think even slight improvement will go a long way.

GLD here, this is my first time buying an MMORPG, honestly. I've had no interest in the genre but it's Final Fantasy and I'm a fanboy. Anyway...

So, I don't know if I'm a great tank or not. I'm pretty critical of how I play, but if enemies go after anyone but me, I always run over and flash them so they come back, or if they don't respond to flash, I use provoke if the enemy is strong enough to do damage to the healer. Another thing I do, which is great... is I stun enemies who are about to do an AOE attack. I switch between Savage and Fast blade constantly until they get ready to do an attack that has a bar at the top, and then I Shield Bash them.

Is this good enough for tanking? Any tips? One problem I had, which was a little frustrating... is when I was fighting the boss in Brayflox, the LNC was getting all the aggro. No matter how many times I used flash or provoke on the dragon, it didn't stick. The LNC raged at me and said he shouldn't be the one tanking, but I had NO control over it. Is there something I did wrong?

WolvenOne

Incidentally, since tonight is really the last night of the Beta, I'm tempted to call it quits till the open beta's started. I've been avoiding any content beyond Haukke Manor, and to that end I've been crafting these past few days, hopeful that I'd be able to see how Materia affects combat before the materia ends.

Well, sadly, my Blacksmith is only lvl 19, and my CRP/ARM are only 8-11 range. Since my GLD is level 32, even with a marathon session I'd have to downgrade all his armor heavily in order to put materia on it. Wouldn't be an issue if I had another two days, since I'm fairly certain I could get my crafting classes up into the 30's range in a few days, after bypassing a couple bottle-necks.

In only a few hours though, I don't think I could do anything about it.

Kinda a shame really, I would rather like one last quick hurrah before the beta ends.

WolvenOne

GLD here, this is my first time buying an MMORPG, honestly. I've had no interest in the genre but it's Final Fantasy and I'm a fanboy. Anyway...

So, I don't know if I'm a great tank or not. I'm pretty critical of how I play, but if enemies go after anyone but me, I always run over and flash them so they come back, or if they don't respond to flash, I use provoke if the enemy is strong enough to do damage to the healer. Another thing I do, which is great... is I stun enemies who are about to do an AOE attack. I switch between Savage and Fast blade constantly until they get ready to do an attack that has a bar at the top, and then I Shield Bash them.

Is this good enough for tanking? Any tips? One problem I had, which was a little frustrating... is when I was fighting the boss in Brayflox, the LNC was getting all the aggro. No matter how many times I used flash or provoke on the dragon, it didn't stick. The LNC raged at me and said he shouldn't be the one tanking, but I had NO control over it. Is there something I did wrong?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, and have been doing a better job. I'm new to tanking, and it never occurred to me that you could stop AoE attacks with stun attacks. It seems obvious now, but since I've been learning as I've been going.. *shrug.*

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, and have been doing a better job. I'm new to tanking, and it never occurred to me that you could stop AoE attacks with stun attacks. It seems obvious now, but since I've been learning as I've been going.. *shrug.*

I learned this from someone in the FC. If you see an enemy charging to do an attack as indicated by the bar on the top.. you can bash them and it stops the attack on most enemies I've encountered including bosses.

Incidentally, since tonight is really the last night of the Beta, I'm tempted to call it quits till the open beta's started. I've been avoiding any content beyond Haukke Manor, and to that end I've been crafting these past few days, hopeful that I'd be able to see how Materia affects combat before the materia ends.

Well, sadly, my Blacksmith is only lvl 19, and my CRP/ARM are only 8-11 range. Since my GLD is level 32, even with a marathon session I'd have to downgrade all his armor heavily in order to put materia on it. Wouldn't be an issue if I had another two days, since I'm fairly certain I could get my crafting classes up into the 30's range in a few days, after bypassing a couple bottle-necks.

In only a few hours though, I don't think I could do anything about it.

Kinda a shame really, I would rather like one last quick hurrah before the beta ends.

You should check out Brayflox before beta ends since you're 32. It's pretty in there!

You can practice Shield Bashing that Dragon to interrupt it's AoE attacks!

Taruranto

I don't know much about PLD tanking, but you may want to mark your mob before pulling them to make the DD job easier (since not all of them /assist).

Khrno

First, let me tell you how Provoke works exactly, it doesn't give you a determined amount of enmity, but instead it will put you on top of the threat list of that particular enemy. Putting it on numbers: The LNC has 1000 enmity on Aiatar, you have 50, you use Provoke and you will have 1001 enmity points. So it basically puts you ahead of whoever has the most hate on an enemy. It is an amazing tool to grab the attention of the mob immediately but if you don't follow up with more enmity generation, then you will lose it immediately with something as simple as an auto-attack for example.

Onto your specific issue, as GLA you should know that your main enmity generation combo at your current level is Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone, with Flash every know and then (for single target mobs) and even Cure for well self-healing and more enmity generation. However your main source of enmity generation is that combo, all other actions are secondary to it.

If you were having a proper combo rotation with Flash in-between now and then, and still losing to the LNC, the only thing I can think of is that you were using outdated gear with very low STR thus not producing much damage during your combos (not huge numbers, but relatively speaking). If your gear is up to date (pinks/greens from Haukke/Brayflox), maybe it is your play style, you need to be more aggresive, use all your instant abilities, buffs from other classes, during the cool down of the GCD.

So going by what you said, you were somewhat trying to spam Flash but you weren't doing the RoH combo constantly?

I will say this now that I've gotten to Level 32 on my CNJ, healing just got way more better upon hitting level 30. Maintaining my heals now is so much more easier on your MP when you mix in Cure, Cure II and having Freecure proc. Healing a tank with just Cure during trash fights and only let off a Cure II when need be to help keep my MP in check. Yet when i have my Freecure up, i will switch to my other hotbar that has my Party Heal macros and unleash a Cure II with no MP required thanks to my Freecure proc.

I love it. Also a quick tip for CNJ out there to make healing way more easier for ya. Create a Macro so you don't have to click on the party member first to let off a heal. This has made Healing so much more easier and faster for myself.

First, let me tell you how Provoke works exactly, it doesn't give you a determined amount of enmity, but instead it will put you on top of the threat list of that particular enemy. Putting it on numbers: The LNC has 1000 enmity on Aiatar, you have 50, you use Provoke and you will have 1001 enmity points. So it basically puts you ahead of whoever has the most hate on an enemy. It is an amazing tool to grab the attention of the mob immediately but if you don't follow up with more enmity generation, then you will lose it immediately with something as simple as an auto-attack for example.

Onto your specific issue, as GLA you should know that your main enmity generation combo at your current level is Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone, with Flash every know and then (for single target mobs) and even Cure for well self-healing and more enmity generation. However your main source of enmity generation is that combo, all other actions are secondary to it.

If you were having a proper combo rotation with Flash in-between now and then, and still losing to the LNC, the only thing I can think of is that you were using outdated gear with very low STR thus not producing much damage during your combos (not huge numbers, but relatively speaking). If your gear is up to date (pinks/greens from Haukke/Brayflox), maybe it is your play style, you need to be more aggresive, use all your instant abilities, buffs from other classes, during the cool down of the GCD.

So going by what you said, you were somewhat trying to spam Flash but you weren't doing the RoH combo constantly?

I never used RoH, I'll try that though.

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2930724/ This is my setup. For some reason the armor picture is outdated so just look at the equipment.

Khrno

I never used RoH, I'll try that though.

Well, that's the problem.

Remember: Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone

Just rotate the MP ws after FB, just forgot the name, to get mp back for more Flash/Cure.

So phase 3 ends today but phase 4 won't start until next month? That's a bummer. :(

It's ok, just enough time to play the 3DS games I've put aside since one month ago.

Breath is not worth the TP to stun, just moving out of the way and returning as soon as the breath animation starts will keep it in place, maybe a little spin, but nothing mayor.

Yeah, that Poison Spit he does that heals him when he's on it seems like a better candidate.

mingus

I will say this now that I've gotten to Level 32 on my CNJ, healing just got way more better upon hitting level 30. Maintaining my heals now is so much more easier on your MP when you mix in Cure, Cure II and having Freecure proc. Healing a tank with just Cure during trash fights and only let off a Cure II when need be to help keep my MP in check. Yet when i have my Freecure up, i will switch to my other hotbar that has my Party Heal macros and unleash a Cure II with no MP required thanks to my Freecure proc.

I love it. Also a quick tip for CNJ out there to make healing way more easier for ya. Create a Macro so you don't have to click on the party member first to let off a heal. This has made Healing so much more easier and faster for myself.

Making liberal use of Fluid Aura and sleep to mitigate damage on your tank are also ways to make things easier on your mana pool.

Well, that's the problem.

Remember: Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone

Just rotate the MP ws after FB, just forgot the name, to get mp back for more Flash/Cure.

Alright, I'll keep all of this in mind. Thanks for the help! I generally don't know how these things work, but I'd like to educate myself so I can be a better tank.

WolvenOne

You should check out Brayflox before beta ends since you're 32. It's pretty in there!

You can practice Shield Bashing that Dragon to interrupt it's AoE attacks!

Well, since I'm feeling nice and refreshed after a quick bicycle ride, that sounds like a wonderful idea. I've gotta keep in mind that most of these dungeons aren't really story related, so I'm not losing much going through them during the beta. I mean, it's not as if going to The Thousand Terrors of Taco Rack a second time was any less fun.

On an another note.

For the retail release, I think I've finally settled on the name N'uadha Nunh, Nuadha of course being one of the kings of the Tuatha Dé Danann, the gods of Celtic mythology.

I don't like it quite as much as Faust Fortwood, since I tend to like Germanic names, and since that little bit of alliteration initials down to F F. Mi'Qote naming methodology however, is really limited for male Seekers of the sun, since they can only have one of two last names.

This wasn't a problem when males weren't playable, of course. The females of that race seem to have slightly more flexible naming conventions. Nuadha isn't bad though.

Jijidasu

There's a higher setting for visual quality now, basically the maximum setting in P3 will be something like high settings in P4/release, or so it seems.

The new water being an example of this.

zxtv2H3.jpg

Hiroyuki also asked whether or not they'd be announcing the start of P4 during the next live letter, answer is yes and most people speculate the 9th (JST) start.

It's going to a long 3-4 weeks if we have to wait until August 9th. Maybe they can do something about the server lag between now and then.

Yeah, I doubt that at this point.

erawsd

Making liberal use of Fluid Aura and sleep to mitigate damage on your tank are also ways to make things easier on your mana pool.

I would advise against liberal use of Fluid Aura. Theres nothing more frustrating as a tank than when people knock back things I'm trying to tank.

Anyone here know if there is a Macro that's good for a Tank that will allow once you hit the macro it will target the party member and then it will show the target enemy so it will make it easier for tanks to pick up the loose mob?

WolvenOne

anyone know an easy way to get Earth Shards?
I've finally gotten round to sinking my teeth into some crafting.

You can get Shards fairly easily, via Mining or Botony. You can get them through other means too, but usually those methods are somewhat piecemeal.

Edit: Also, try to do most of your crafting near a market board somewhere. That way, if there's a single item thats holding you up, and none of the shops have it, you can probably get it off the boards. It's a bit hard on your gil, since gatherers tend to know what items are the big bottle necks, and charge accordingly. If you have the money though, its a lot faster than going out to gather one or two items.

Khrno

I would advise against liberal use of Fluid Aura. Theres nothing more frustrating as a tank than when people knock back things I'm trying to tank.

I agree with this, specially if it knocks them out of my Flash range. It is good if it's a stray enemy that runs for the mage, but if it's standing around the tank, then it's not good to use it.

Xux

Anyone here know if there is a Macro that's good for a Tank that will allow once you hit the macro it will target the party member and then it will show the target enemy so it will make it easier for tanks to pick up the loose mob?
If you're on PC, just hit the F key the person's assigned to and then hit T.

Otherwise, it'd probably be

/target <#>
/target <tt>

SkyOdin

Assuming that it is being used correctly, it is better than having to run down the monsters beating on the back-line healers. If the conjurer knows how to knock the enemy on them back towards me, then I highly encourage them to do so.

The most frustrating thing as a tank will always be those DPS characters who draw aggro, panic, and start running around as if moving ten feet will somehow make that monster stop attacking them. That just makes it harder for me to peel the monster back off them. If you draw aggro, stand still.

Xux

On PS3, you can cycle through party members with up and down on the d-pad (8 and 2 on a keyboards num pad also do this) and then use the "/target <tt>" macro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom