• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got a question. With the class changing/job changing aspect of these games, and EQN also having it, what's the point of an alt?

I mean... It's a cool idea, but I think of games like Skyrim where I'm always put off by the fact that i'm the leader of 3 guilds in 3 different classes. Obviously this isn't all at the exact same time, but it just feels weird to me.

Concept17

What I like about it is the hunting log, where you have a list of bounties for every 10 levels that give you a sizable amount of bonus experience. There's a different list for every class and I find it fun to take a break from questing, leave the starting area and just go hunting for a bit.

This is interesting. Is it worthwhile compared to questing, reward-wise/xp wise?

I got a question. With the class changing/job changing aspect of these games, and EQN also having it, what's the point of an alt?

I mean... It's a cool idea, but I think of games like Skyrim where I'm always put off by the fact that i'm the leader of 3 guilds in 3 different classes. Obviously this isn't all at the exact same time, but it just feels weird to me.

For EQN, if the world and how your character changes is exactly how they hyped it to be, the appeal would be that you will be getting a completely different experience. For this? Just race mostly. And yes, single player rpgs have been to afraid of locking you out of other paths from the choices you make.

mingus

Speaking of names, I remember not meeting many xxxxxsephirothxxxxx during my playtime.

Met a lot of Stark, though.

Only because SE demands you have a last name. I recall seeing a Cloudo Strife and a Cloudi Strife, others reported sightings of people who just strung together two unrelated names together like Naruto Vegeta and Erza Uchiha. There might be some filter on too many x's, I don't recall seeing strings longer than xx.

This is interesting. Is it worthwhile compared to questing, reward-wise/xp wise?

Sort of but not really, the hunting log only lists monsters, how many you have to kill, and the general region where they are. Other than a really early story quest to grant you the hunting log, you don't talk to anyone to activate the bounties nor are there anything to turn in, it's purely find the region, find the monsters and kill them. Some are easy because they're just trash mobs, some are only in dungeons, and some are actually pretty hard to find because they're in some secluded area on the map. There are actually two separate hunting logs, one for each class that only rewards experience, and one for your grand company, which rewards company seals which you use as currency for grand company gear like sweet pirate hook fists. I personally try to knock out my hunting log before attempting quests as it gets challenging when you know your next target is in a higher level cave full of aggressive mobs and you have to sneak in to get kills without wiping.

Ainaurdur

Love the idea of crafting a name from the guidelines, those generated ones get ridiculous. Maybe use it as a start, but then modify the name to make it reasonable.

Plus with some of the races' names having meaning behind them, it really helps to read the details behind the conventions.

Ugh. When this game has a beauty salon I'm going to end up changing my character's hair colour every day. I love all of these:

XOCtyvg.png
3XbOscH.png
aQjBGof.png
cmYzh3g.png
IzuyNYm.png

Any ideas on a name for her GAF?

Oh, and I can't decide on the face with markings or the face without...

Zabant

Tried out the name generator for female hells.
First result was Brown Wind.

Think i'll stick to having the same last name as my group of friends (which will be decided later) and a Norse first name, as the roegadyn seem to be based on Nordic culture what with the raiding an pillaging and whatnot.

I like the cheek markings but whenever I'd see others with the markings on their forehead it would make them look like a Klingon at certain angles/distances/lighting.

L.O.R.D

i downloaded the benchmark
but the benchmark alwyis chooses the intel graphic card , i have Geforce 660m GTX ( 2GB )
i tried to run the software in Nvidia control panel and chosen the high performer graphic card
but the same message appear

m5zn_6b7873ca243e0e4.jpg

but the benchmark alwyis chooses the intel graphic card , i have Geforce 660m GTX ( 2GB )
i tried to run the software in Nvidia control panel and chosen the high performer graphic card

m5zn_6b7873ca243e0e4.jpg

I remember there being a way to set a default. I had a setup like that a while ago.

SkyOdin

For the first few levels, I think that a mix of following the hunting list and participating in FATE events that pop up nearby is faster than leveling up via quests, particularly if you aim for higher leveled versions of the hunting list monsters and go for chains (which grant bonus experience). You don't get the gear that doing quests gives, but most of the quest loot can just be crafted anyways. After the first ten or fifteen levels or so you can't get by on the hunting log alone, but that is when other options really begin to open up. The number of quests also begins to drop off a bit past that point too (in the beta, at least).

Between the hunting logs, guildleves, guildhests/dungeons, FATE events, and traditional quests, there are quite a few viable ways of gaining experience points in the game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Then don't use a random generator and just make a name which fits the rules and sounds nice? Seems obvious.

Random Generator actually led me to my FFXI and now FFXIV character name. Miyara. Wasn't what the generator came up with, but it was something close.

Ainaurdur

Ugh. When this game has a beauty salon I'm going to end up changing my character's hair colour every day. I love all of these:

Any ideas on a name for her GAF?

Oh, and I can't decide on the face with markings or the face without...

I am with you on the hair thing. My guild in WoW made jokes about me showing up to raids with a new style/color every time.

The Miqo'te don't look right to me without at least some of the markings. The males don't even have an option without them though, seems like something they should have made standard for both.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, the Mithra need their face tatoos. Glad for the many hair styles though, in FFXI I ended up going with the most common hair type. Noticed in beta this type wasn't used much.

This will probably be my final character look. Miyara Dantes.

3r8taO4.png

mingus

Us, what can we expect from the patches coming after release?

Will we still be able to build our own houses and such at release?

From Live Letter #5
Q3: Will housing be implemented at launch?
A3: We’re planning to release housing with the first major update.

Q45: How often are you planning to update the game after the official release of A Realm Reborn? Also, will you be introducing mini-scenarios not tied to the main scenario during these updates?
A45: We are currently planning to introduce major updates once every 2 and a half months. As far as mini-scenario goes, yes, we will be implementing mini-scenarios as well. Gilgamesh, which we introduced earlier, will be introduced through a mini-scenario.

The rest is here.

I am with you on the hair thing. My guild in WoW made jokes about me showing up to raids with a new style/color every time.

The Miqo'te don't look right to me without at least some of the markings. The males don't even have an option without them though, seems like something they should have made standard for both.

Hahaha, that's going to be me, for sure. There's no way I'll be able to stick to one thing for very long.

I agree on the markings. Apparently the markings on Miqo'te are NOT tattoos, they are genetic. Males without the markings do not exist, but apparently some females don't have them. I like the markings better, though.

chrono01

Been spending way too much time with this character creator. This will be the bane of me, considering I often get consumed with character creation in MMO's. -_-

I think I'm [finally] generally happy with my character, but I'll likely still go back and make a few tweaks. I'm finding it difficult to decide on hair style/color.

...Yeah, I'll more than likely go back to it. With launch still several weeks away, at least I have time to hopefully perfect my character. I think I've committed to the race, at least.

m5zn_6b7873ca243e0e4.jpg

Because of how Nvidia Optimus works, it will always say the Intel integrated graphics. My laptop is the same way. You can be certain it's using the Nvidia GPU if the score is higher than when you actually use the Intel IGP.

Long, boring explanation:

The way Nvidia Optimus works is that the Intel IGP always active in Optimus setups. The Intel IGP is always what is really outputting the video, which is why it is always detected by software which doesn't understand Optimus. Most software doesn't understand Optimus. The Nvidia GPU, when active, actually directly renders into the IGP's framebuffer when rendering a scene, but the IGP is still outputting the video signal. It is otherwise set in a low-power state, which is why Optimus saves the battery when the Nvidia GPU isn't actually doing anything. All of this occurs on a low level in hardware, which is why it's invisible to software detecting your GPU like the benchmark.

Nvidia Optimus is really quite clever when you think about it, as it bypasses the problem with older Switchable Graphics designs where you had to switch the entire active GPU from one to another, which typically disrupted every application running on the screen and often was disruptive for the OS as well. MS had so many problems with Windows machines that used these designs that starting with Windows 7 they altered the Windows Graphics Foundation so that drivers were allowed to be simultaneously active at all times for graphics cards, which is why Switchable Graphics was deprecated and replaced by Nvidia Optimus and AMD Enduro.

It was also a huge problem for driver updates on laptops which used Switchable Graphics because they required special drivers from the OEMs and we all know how good laptop manufacturers are with driver updates. You couldn't just use any drivers and expect them to work. Optimus requires no special drivers as it works on a hardware level, so you can keep your Intel and Nvidia graphic drivers updated all the time separately and it won't affect Optimus's function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom