• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Man... Calm before the storm. If phase 4 ends up being the 9th, we're a week away. Release is so close!

It has to be because of early access being two weeks away from the 9th. I just don't see open and early access back to back on weeks. If it is, what a weird way to do it. But this is SE we're talkin about.

It has to be because of early access being two weeks away from the 9th. I just don't see open and early access back to back on weeks. If it is, what a weird way to do it. But this is SE we're talkin about.

Most people think early access will only be a few days. So, a week for Phase 4, a few days while the team furiously patches last-minute bugs, then 2-3 days for early access which directly rolls into launch.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Guessing the answer is no, but if we had the game originally, and have Legacy Status, will we get the pre-order bonus items without having to buy the game again?

jiggle

KdV63AE.jpg

side swept pink hair + armpit = lightning!

Guessing the answer is no?
yeah

vazel

Banned
Guessing the answer is no, but if we had the game originally, and have Legacy Status, will we get the pre-order bonus items without having to buy the game again?
Pre-order from Amazon. They send you the pre-order code immediately, then cancel the order. I don't feel sleazy doing this, since I already do own the game after all. I gotta have that Mog Cap.

Mature

Q1: I think that one of Lightning`s most attractive features is her armpit. Is there a costume that will show off this part of her when she does her victory pose?
A1: Something that shows off her armpit..? Well, there are some revealing sets of costumes. I’m sure you’ll enjoy those.
This pretty much sums up Final Fantasy's current state.

Yusaku

Finally got around to running the new benchmark. Pretty nice, don't think I ever went below 60fps!

Went from 8010 to 10349

jiggle

watching the everquest conference
their "new experience" "new concept" job system sounded almost exactly like xiv 1.0

& i want those movement abilities in xiv :eek:

WolvenOne

Okay, I think I've finally settled on how my character will look. I know he doesn't look very different, but I made a lot of little tweaks to his facial features. Different nose, bushier eye brows that had a slightly different shape, put the facial mark tattoos back in, because he looked wrong without them somehow, slightly too much of a pretty boy maybe.

Only regrets here stem from the limitation of the character creator. I'd rather have more prominent scars than those facial tattoos, since nearly every male miqo'te has them. The other regret is the hair. Male Miqo'te don't have all that many styles to choose from, and a lot of them looked too boyish. It came down to this, or the hairstyle that was essentially nothing but braids, and that one just screamed, "trying too hard!"

Going with N'uadha Tia, since it fits the naming convention, and I'll probably be starting as a Marauder.

On a related topic, I finally downloaded Fraps, and took a look at the actual running frame rate of the game. Overall its acceptable, but the only reason I scored so high, is because my 7870 absolutely slaughtered this game during scenes with relatively few characters. During the parts of the Benchmark in the Black Shroud, I actually briefly went under 30fps at times, even though In other scenes I was scoring over 100fps. Probably a CPU thing, and unfortunately there is no easily solution for me in that respect. If this game is mostly single threaded, my options are to spend a large sum rebuilding my rig as an Intel system, or to buy a newer AMD CPU, and hope that with enough overclocking I can actually get better single thread performance than my Phenom II.

Context: AMD chips these past few years, have been pretty good for programs with many threads, but have been horrible at single/few threaded programs. It's been so bad, that my 2-3 year old Phenom II chip actually outperforms some of the newer AMD CPU's in single threaded tasks. Those it doesn't beat are only a slight improvement in this regard, maybe 10-12% better.

Not a big deal for most games, or applications, but since MMO's are only of the few genres that really taxes the CPU, it's a problem there. I can live with the problem for a little while, since it shouldn't really be noticeable until I get into really heavily populated towns. I'll eventually need a solution though, if only for PVP. That can probably wait till September though.

Anyhow, sorry for chewing everyone's ears off. I think I, became a little carried away here.

PS: If anybody can discern whether this game is single or multi-threaded, I'd really appreciate it. If its the later, it'd be one of those programs where adding extra cores actually helps performance, and that'd greatly simplify things for me.

WolvenOne

watching the everquest conference
their "new experience" "new concept" job system sounded almost exactly like xiv 1.0

& i want those movement abilities in xiv :eek:

The game has some interesting features, I'll admit. Unless ARR's community completely evaporates, its probably not enough to get me to switch over. Among other things, I didn't like that games aesthetics. Seemed to jump back and forth between generic D&D, and cartoony, somehow.

I'll agree with those movement abilities though, I'd love to see those patched in during the next expansion pack.

Okay, I think I've finally settled on how my character will look. I know he doesn't look very different, but I made a lot of little tweaks to his facial features.

Congrats, friend! I think you've just completed one of the most difficult parts of the game. I spent a good deal on my character as well and I'm down to deciding between hairstyle & colour (tho both will be alterable via ingame barber).

C'mon Phase 4!

theta11

Context: AMD chips these past few years, have been pretty good for programs with many threads, but have been horrible at single/few threaded programs. It's been so bad, that my 2-3 year old Phenom II chip actually outperforms some of the newer AMD CPU's in single threaded tasks. Those it doesn't beat are only a slight improvement in this regard, maybe 10-12% better.

Not a big deal for most games, or applications, but since MMO's are only of the few genres that really taxes the CPU, it's a problem there. I can live with the problem for a little while, since it shouldn't really be noticeable until I get into really heavily populated towns. I'll eventually need a solution though, if only for PVP. That can probably wait till September though.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, same Phenom II chip. I'm on the fence about upgrading as well. It'd be cheaper to upgrade to an AMD chip but Intel is a better choice at the moment. I'll probably wait until November to upgrade though. See if I can find a deal on Black Friday though I'm sure there will be deals before then.

WolvenOne

Congrats, friend! I think you've just completed one of the most difficult parts of the game. I spent a good deal on my character as well and I'm down to deciding between hairstyle & colour (tho both will be alterable via ingame barber).

C'mon Phase 4!

Heh, yeah character creation really can be time consuming. Especially since not every little feature is going to be alterable later on. I know some MMO's have a sort of plastic surgery option, but others don't, and I haven't heard anything suggesting FFXIV will go that route.

You are right about hair, and hair color though. With any luck, they'll actually make some additional hairstyles available for male Miqo'te. With so few hairstyles available for them, a lot of the Cat guys are gonna walk around with the same hairdoo.

WolvenOne

I'm pretty much in the same situation, same Phenom II chip. I'm on the fence about upgrading as well. It'd be cheaper to upgrade to an AMD chip but Intel is a better choice at the moment. I'll probably wait until November to upgrade though. See if I can find a deal on Black Friday though I'm sure there will be deals before then.

Yeah, really frustrating isn't it? During almost any other time in AMD's history, upgrading to a new CPU after two years would without a doubt result in a significant across the board improvement. But because AMD wanted to be the first to eight cores, they went and sacrificed robust single core performance, which hits gaming the hardest.

Intel tends to really annoy me for some reason, regardless this wasn't a smart move on AMD's part.

WolvenOne

Damn, couldn't break 3,000. :(

Thinking of naming my Hellsguard something cheesy like "Peaceful Dream" or something.

*Peers at your specs*

Erf! I hate to sound critical, but if you can at all afford it, I think its probably about time to consider a new rig. Though of course, I can remember a time when that would've been an awesome setup.

Lain

New benchmark gave me a 8327 score at maximum with 1920x1080 res. vs the 5777 score the old one gave me, and even the average fps was sorta crazy, 71.393 vs 47.246. My 570 is still making me proud.
Phase 3 beta was running OK, but this bench makes me hopeful the phase 4 should run even better. I'll just have to get v-sync forced or something.

WolvenOne

New benchmark gave me a 8327 score at maximum with 1920x1080 res. vs the 5777 score the old one gave me, and even the average fps was sorta crazy, 71.393 vs 47.246. My 570 is still making me proud.
Phase 3 beta was running OK, but this bench makes me hopeful the phase 4 should run even better. I'll just have to get v-sync forced or something.

Huh, almost the exact same scores as myself. What's your rig running off of exactly?

Okay, I think I've finally settled on how my character will look. I know he doesn't look very different, but I made a lot of little tweaks to his facial features. Different nose, bushier eye brows that had a slightly different shape, put the facial mark tattoos back in, because he looked wrong without them somehow, slightly too much of a pretty boy maybe.

Only regrets here stem from the limitation of the character creator. I'd rather have more prominent scars than those facial tattoos, since nearly every male miqo'te has them. The other regret is the hair. Male Miqo'te don't have all that many styles to choose from, and a lot of them looked too boyish. It came down to this, or the hairstyle that was essentially nothing but braids, and that one just screamed, "trying too hard!"

Going with N'uadha Tia, since it fits the naming convention, and I'll probably be starting as a Marauder.

On a related topic, I finally downloaded Fraps, and took a look at the actual running frame rate of the game. Overall its acceptable, but the only reason I scored so high, is because my 7870 absolutely slaughtered this game during scenes with relatively few characters. During the parts of the Benchmark in the Black Shroud, I actually briefly went under 30fps at times, even though In other scenes I was scoring over 100fps. Probably a CPU thing, and unfortunately there is no easily solution for me in that respect. If this game is mostly single threaded, my options are to spend a large sum rebuilding my rig as an Intel system, or to buy a newer AMD CPU, and hope that with enough overclocking I can actually get better single thread performance than my Phenom II.

Anyhow, sorry for chewing everyone's ears off. I think I, became a little carried away here.

PS: If anybody can discern whether this game is single or multi-threaded, I'd really appreciate it. If its the later, it'd be one of those programs where adding extra cores actually helps performance, and that'd greatly simplify things for me.

FFXIV's client is pervasively multi-threaded, but single-thread performance is still huge regardless of how many cores you have because of how games work. AMD gets slaughtered by Intel in single-thread performance. This is why "8-core" AMD FX series CPUs get hammered by Intel's 4-core i7/i5/i3 in games. AMD recently introduced an insane 5 ghz FX-9590 (Piledriver) CPU which only manages to trade blows at best with a 3.5 ghz i7-4770K (Haswell) while gaming.

In your case, if you're already at quad cores, you're not going to benefit much from more than that. The benchmark thread in the beta forums has some people posting scores from 6-core Intel CPUs (SB-E and IB-E) and they differ little from scores posted from regular quad-core Intel rigs.

Xux

*Peers at your specs*

Erf! I hate to sound critical, but if you can at all afford it, I think its probably about time to consider a new rig. Though of course, I can remember a time when that would've been an awesome setup.
Nope; brake, rotors, and tires for my car wiped out my savings. Maybe I can scrape something together for tax return season if I can resist the urge to buy a PS4.

Here's what Windows Task Manager looks like running the benchmark:

The game appears to spawn at least 4 threads, though only 4 of them are doing anything during the benchmark runs. There may be up to 2 more threads if I'm watching these lines correctly, but they only seem to kick in during loading between benchmark scenes. Game loading is probably on separate threads so as not to not interrupt the main rendering loop.

The graph has 8 "CPUs" because I'm using a Core i7-950 with HyperThreading enabled so there are 8 virtual CPUs, HT runs 2 hardware threads per core and i7-950 is a quad-core processor.

There's one core that seems to be busier than others, and this is typical of games. You can't fundamentally multi-thread the main game loop, because events in a game engine must occur sequentially to work with the right timing. You can offload a lot of things but the main game loop is the most important individual thread and that's why single-thread performance is so important, at some level one thread supervises all other spawned threads and it must be able to run as fast as possible.

This is why Intel kills AMD in gaming, their single-thread performance is so above and beyond AMD's that no matter how many cores you throw at an AMD processor, one AMD core can't touch one Intel core.

WolvenOne

FFXIV's client is pervasively multi-threaded, but single-thread performance is still huge regardless of how many cores you have because of how games work. AMD gets slaughtered by Intel in single-thread performance. This is why "8-core" AMD FX series CPUs get hammered by Intel's 4-core i7/i5/i3 in games. AMD recently introduced an insane 5 ghz FX-9590 (Piledriver) CPU which only manages to trade blows at best with a 3.5 ghz i7-4770K (Haswell) while gaming.

I know, like I said AMD's CPU's do well enough at some tasks, thus why they benchmark decently enough. Single threaded performance however, bites, and it took me a few days of thorough research to realize just how badly it bit.

Still, I'd much rather find a temporary cheap solution right now, than to spend three hundred plus dollars on making the jump to Intel.

In that respect, the Six Core AMD Vishera processor I've been looking at is probably back on the table. The cores on that are supposed to be at least close to the Phenoms I'm running, and maybe even a modest improvement. If XIV is really heavily multithreaded, then between that and some OCing, it should do the trick.

Not the answer you'd like to hear, I'm sure, but under my current circumstances, its just more practical.

*sigh* I hate being practical. :p

MogCakes

Do, you have a PS3? Or another computer? I mean, I know PC's are typically the best platform for MMO's, but, whatever works in a pinch.

I'm playing on PS3, wanted to know how my budget college laptop fared. TERA gets 12FPS on a good day with all settings on crap.

Ainaurdur

WolvenOne's pic made me curious what my Miqo'te would look like with brown hair. I am leaning towards the white for launch.
But the brown hair gave me instant nostalgia for my old Mithra main. (Can't find a picture of her currently. Think she was a 1B.)

WolvenOne

WolvenOne's pic made me curious what my Miqo'te would look like with brown hair. I am leaning towards the white for launch.

But the brown hair gave me instant nostalgia for my old Mithra main. (Can't find a picture of her currently. Think she was a 1B.)

Well, hard to say really. I tend to lean towards subtler designs, but white does look a bit better for this character.

Incidentally, I actually went with black hair, with dark gray highlights. I thought it gave my characters hair a slightly more layered look.

Ainaurdur

Well, hard to say really. I tend to lean towards subtler designs, but white does look a bit better for this character.

Incidentally, I actually went with black hair, with dark gray highlights. I thought it gave my characters hair a slightly more layered look.

Some of the hairstyles allow you to use more striking contrast for scattered highlights, but then others have such a large portion of hair included in the highlight, that it forces you to have to pick something much more subtle. Also have to contend with some base colors taking the highlight color differently.

Makes me wonder how much was intentional vs just whatever happened when they switched from the old 1.0 color bubbles to the ARR color palette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom