• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven777

uGkrm15.jpg

Most ppl will be armorer or weaver. Also people don't like fishing that much :p

do you choose one for each for crafting and harvesting? or if you choose harvesting you can't craft or something?

Also is there a place where it explains benefits of each crafting jobs.

SkyOdin

do you choose one for each for crafting and harvesting? or if you choose harvesting you can't craft or something?

You can take every single crafting and harvesting class if you so wish, just as you can take every class and job. It is simply a question of how much time you want to invest.

There isn't a place that lists what you can make that I am aware of, but I can give you the basic rundown if you want.

Pachimari

I want to be whichever one lets me put materia into accessories like rings/earrings/bracelets, etc. I think Goldsmith? Not sure.
What is the good thing about bein able to put material in accessories? This is really a honest question as I don't know and would love to find out. :)

dramatis

You don't have to pick one for each crafting/harvesting, you can be all of them. The survey simply asks which will be primary choice.

Armorers craft metal armor, attach materia to that kind of armor, repairs that type, ideal for tanks that are rust buckets.

Weavers do the above for cloth-type armor, so ideal for casters. Leatherworkers, for Pugs/Archers/Lancers(?). Leatherworkers also do belts and shoes.

Blacksmiths and Carpenters deal with crafting weaponry and tools. Goldsmiths tinker with accessories.

Alchemist and Culinarian make items (alchemist also make one-handed wands, and probably also books for arcanists). The difference is the culinarian items are less potent but last longer (30min), while alchemist potions are for short burst buffs/debuffs.

There isn't a place that lists what you can make that I am aware of, but I can give you the basic rundown if you want.
You can find a list of recipes on xivdb, but like devious said in a post above me, they had to roll back the database to Phase 3, but at least you can get an idea of what each class entails.

raven777

You can take every single crafting and harvesting class if you so wish, just as you can take every class and job. It is simply a question of how much time you want to invest.

You don't have to pick one for each crafting/harvesting, you can be all of them. The survey simply asks which will be primary choice.

Armorers craft metal armor, attach materia to that kind of armor, repairs that type, ideal for tanks that are rust buckets.

Weavers do the above for cloth-type armor, so ideal for casters. Leatherworkers, for Pugs/Archers/Lancers(?). Leatherworkers also do belts and shoes.

Blacksmiths and Carpenters deal with crafting weaponry and tools. Goldsmiths tinker with accessories.

Alchemist and Culinarian make items (alchemist also make one-handed wands, and probably also books for arcanists). The difference is the culinarian items are less potent but last longer (30min), while alchemist potions are for short burst buffs/debuffs.

thanks for the explanation guys.

Kind of wondering since I will start off as LNC, and LNC uses both leather and metal armors so I have to decide which one I start off crafting.

SkyOdin

To elaborate on the crafting classes:
Armorers craft Tank (Gladiator and Marauder) armor, as well as probably some of the Lancer gear. They also craft a few crafting tools.

Blacksmiths make most swords and all axes, as well as a ton of crafting/gathering tools.

Carpenters craft Lancer weapons, Archer weapons, light shields for spellcasters, two-handed Conjurer weapons, and few other odds and ends such as shoes and crafting tools. They even make a type of wooden sword. Housing will give them even more to do.

Leatherworkers craft leather armor, which is used by Pugilists, Archers, and Lancers. They also make some Pugilist weapons, a few light shields, and a lot of crafting/gathering clothes. They also make some accessories.

Weavers make caster armor, crafting/gathering clothes, and even some medium armor.

Goldsmiths make accessories, Thaumaturge weapons, and some Pugilist weapons.

Alchemists craft potions, other consumable items, Arcanist weapons, and one-handed Conjurer weapons.

Culinarians craft food.

raven777

To elaborate on the crafting classes:
Armorers craft Tank (Gladiator and Marauder) armor, as well as probably some of the Lancer gear. They also craft a few crafting tools.

Blacksmiths make most swords and all axes, as well as a ton of crafting/gathering tools.

Carpenters craft Lancer weapons, Archer weapons, light shields for spellcasters, two-handed Conjurer weapons, and few other odds and ends such as shoes and crafting tools. They even make a type of wooden sword. Housing will give them even more to do.

Leatherworkers craft leather armor, which is used by Pugilists, Archers, and Lancers. They also make some Pugilist weapons, a few light shields, and a lot of crafting/gathering clothes. They also make some accessories.

Weavers make caster armor, crafting/gathering clothes, and even some medium armor.

Goldsmiths make accessories, Thaumaturge weapons, and some Pugilist weapons.

Alchemists craft potions, other consumable items, Arcanist weapons, and one-handed Conjurer weapons.

Culinarians craft food.

thanks :) Will have to think about this until phase 4 starts...

About LNC, is there any benefit of LNC wearing leather armor than metal armor(the ones that LNC can wear)? I assume metal will have better defense, and maybe lower agility. So is there going to be times when using leather armor would be better than using metal armor for LNC?

Xux

About LNC, is there any benefit of LNC wearing leather armor than metal armor(the ones that LNC can wear)? I assume metal will have better defense, and maybe lower agility. So is there going to be times when using leather armor would be better than using metal armor for LNC?
It's probably piece by piece and solo versus group play.
Scholars use books/grimoires. Do we know what Arcanists and Summoners use?
Books/grimoires.

SkyOdin

I am not familiar with all of the details of the LNC's metal armor, but I do know that it is unlike the armor used by the tank classes. There is a huge defense difference between the Lancer's scale/chain armor and the plate armor used by the Gladiator and Marauder. It is more or less a slightly buffed version of the leather armor used by the Pugilist and Archer. I think the lancer unique armor is also main body only (and maybe helmet), and they use leather/light armor for the rest.

There might be a tradeoff between defense and damage power, and metal armor tends to have weaker magic defense than leather armor (which in turn has weaker magic defense than cloth armor).

Nibiru

Banned
I want to give this game a proper go. I played Beta but damn the beginning was so utterly boring I almost fell asleep. Honest opinions on what level around about do things start to pick up?

LowParry

I want to give this game a proper go. I played Beta but damn the beginning was so utterly boring I almost fell asleep. Honest opinions on what level around about do things start to pick up?

Honestly? 20+ for me at least. Though some might consider lvl 15 because you gain access to your first dungeons.

Well, what did you find boring? Was it the class you picked? The quests that were made to ease you into the game? I say after 25-30 things got more interesting, for me anyway.

Anteater

yeah, 1-15 was pretty much a longass tutorial, after lvl15 you get access to dungeons and crap (some are still a bit boring even in the 20s) but it picks up from there.

I've only played through all the missions in beta, but it really felt like a long gigantic intro to me :lol

Nibiru

Banned
yeah, 1-15 was pretty much a longass tutorial, after lvl15 you get access to dungeons and crap (some are still a bit boring even in the 20s) but it picks up from there.

I've only played through all the missions in beta, but it really felt like a long gigantic intro to me :lol

Ya that was my experience too. What kind of things make it pick up? Is it the skills, enemies, quests or just everything?

Anteater

Ya that was my experience too. What kind of things make it pick up? Is it the skills, enemies, quests or just everything?

Pretty much everything opens up a bit, more dungeons, the guildhest gets more interesting, you also gain access to grand company (and making your FC I think), the materia stuff, etc.

The story quests, dungeons, bosses were a bit more interesting than running from npc to npc you typically do until you reach lvl15, but I can't really say if it actually gets better and better because beta's story mission pretty much stopped after Ifrit (which I found pretty cool), the last few dungeons I went through were also pretty decent, so it gave me impression that there will be more of them later on, but of course I could be wrong, but I hope not :(

Edit: I did a lot less quests after lvl15 though, so don't take "everything" too literally, lol.

LowParry

I actually had a lot of fun just farming FATEs around the time I was lvl 25. I'm hoping the end level fates open up on a large scale. Primals is going to be mad crazy when they start showing up. And that Odin fight I really really want to see.

demonkaze

Gonna go with my Legacy character on Sargatanas which is a 50 WHM but I'm looking to do PLD to 50 when I first play ARR. On that note, what would you guys suggest for a crafting class, I want to focus and take at least one crafting class to the max.

chrono01

Creating your character really is the most time-consuming thing for an MMO, at least for me. It seems as though I'm never happy with it. ~_~

I think I'm just about there with my current character. I wanted to go with Hyur since it doesn't seem like a lot of people are choosing that specific race and I happen to like the look of them. I chose Midlanders since I prefer a normal build.

Here's my current character [likely to get a revision or two more until release]:

Nibiru

Banned
Pretty much everything opens up a bit, more dungeons, the guildhest gets more interesting, you also gain access to grand company (and making your FC I think), the materia stuff, etc.

The story quests, dungeons, bosses were a bit more interesting than running from npc to npc you typically do until you reach lvl15, but I can't really say if it actually gets better and better because beta's story mission pretty much stopped after Ifrit (which I found pretty cool), the last few dungeons I went through were also pretty decent, so it gave me impression that there will be more of them later on, but of course I could be wrong, but I hope not :(

Edit: I did a lot less quests after lvl15 though, so don't take "everything" too literally, lol.

Right on thanks for the info:)

mark93

Neo Member
Creating your character really is the most time-consuming thing for an MMO, at least for me. It seems as though I'm never happy with it. ~_~

I think I'm just about there with my current character. I wanted to go with Hyur since it doesn't seem like a lot of people are choosing that specific race and I happen to like the look of them. I chose Midlanders since I prefer a normal build.

Here's my current character [likely to get a revision or two more until release]:

He looks like Noel from FF 13-2 :p

So when this game comes out, will I be able to modify my current character's appearance with the new creator ? I haven't played since last summer.

Khrno

So when this game comes out, will I be able to modify my current character's appearance with the new creator ? I haven't played since last summer.

Yes, pending confirmation, but supposedly at the start of the official launch, when you log in and choose your old character you will be prompted to edit it completely if you wish so.

I said pending confirmation since the last bit of info regarding this was that they weren't even sure if they would allow it from the start of the phase 4, from the early access, or from the 27th at JP midnight.

Yes, pending confirmation, but supposedly at the start of the official launch, when you log in and choose your old character you will be prompted to edit it completely if you wish so.

I said pending confirmation since the last bit of info regarding this was that they weren't even sure if they would allow it from the start of the phase 4, from the early access, or from the 27th at JP midnight.

Nice.

Boob job incoming.

desu

How would anything beyond the start of phase #4 work? I mean we gonna start playing phase 4 (which is supposed to be carried over) and then possibly redo our char once again ?

Khrno

How would anything beyond the start of phase #4 work? I mean we gonna start playing phase 4 (which is supposed to be carried over) and then possibly redo our char once again ?

Changing the appearance/race/sex/name of your old character has nothing to do with the in-game progress.

Reveirg

I know this has probably been answered before but...:

-I have a character on Sargatannas from vanilla FFXIV. I know I can't switch to a non-legacy server. But will my friend who's new to the game be able to easily choose Sargatannas when he creates his first character?

-Will server migration be available further down the line?

Animekatt

I know this has probably been answered before but...:

-I have a character on Sargatannas from vanilla FFXIV. I know I can't switch to a non-legacy server. But will my friend who's new to the game be able to easily choose Sargatannas when he creates his first character?

-Will server migration be available further down the line?

He will be able to choose Sargatanas as his server when he starts. I believe it was said that the server migrations will be in about 6 months?

What is the good thing about bein able to put material in accessories? This is really a honest question as I don't know and would love to find out. :)

Oh, well.. so far, a lot of the dungeon gear doesn't seem to have materia slots (unless I just didn't see them), so your main body armor for much of the time won't need materia. But your accessories that you can buy or get tend to have more materia slots. So it'd be nice to be able to put my own materia into them without having to ask friends for help all the time.

I like cat guy the best, although the other two are nice too. Highlander ladies are awesome.

Hmmm... Tough choice. I'm kinda partial to lalafells, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom