• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR - Beta Phase 4 Aug 16-19. [open beta now over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Meh, I feel like people are overeating.

Phase 4 is not Early Access. It's open beta. It exists to stress the servers and draw out this kind of errors.

Tevren

Dammit Excalibur is full right now.

Yeah, and I'm worried that the new servers being opened, Excal may be as full as they want it to be. Still have several friends waiting to join us there, but can't make a character.

If the worst comes to pass, I'll be orn between rerolling with them elsewhere, or having friends scattered to the winds.

Teknoman

Are any of the classes more controller friendly than the others?

I've put in my pre-order for the PS3 version. Want to finally be lazy and enjoy a couch MMO.

Standard combat characters i'm sure (Swords, axes, claws). Not sure about ranged attackers.

I might get a lot of hate for this, but if you want to get a feel for this game, go play the first 20 levels of wow(they're free). Most mmo's play similarly, kind of like FPS game, if you don't like WoW at all(gameplay wise) you may not like any mmo.

Edit: Oh wow. I made a JP character, got her to a point where i could log out, and now i can't enter character selection at all.

Art style, soundtrack, and UI in general goes a long way too. Helps if you're a fan of the series.

At any rate, the most drastic fix for the errors should be a data roll back for any characters affected. Of course i'm not sure if that would actually fix things...but it would be better than a wipe, seeing how there are still players not having the issue.

Xavien

Phase 4 is not Early Access. It's open beta. It exists to stress the servers and draw out this kind of errors.

Thing is, from what i've read, SE hasn't stated anything about fixing the 3102 issue, since there are folks who had 3102 close to the start of phase 4... it doesn't hold out much hope that it'll be fixed anytime soon.

I hope they are working on it, but lack of communication is a bit disconcerting, especially since the JP servers seem to be unaffected.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

I think the "problem" comes in when they stated that progress would carry over unless there is a problem.

There is, unquestionably, a problem.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thing is, from what i've read, SE hasn't stated anything about fixing the 3102 issue, since there are folks who had 3102 close to the start of phase 4... it doesn't hold out much hope that it'll be fixed anytime soon.

I hope they are working on it, but lack of communication is a bit disconcerting, especially since the JP servers seem to be unaffected.

JP servers are getting nailed with 90000 errors :p

When you state that character progress is going to be saved for the full release of course people are going to treat it like early access. That is the entire point of early access, and how all mmos have done it in the past. The modern open beta is more of a demo to begin with for the majority of the mmo player bases even without your character data carrying over.

Perception is just as important as factual reality, even more so for a game trying to win back the public at large after a catastrophic first release. Each and every hour that goes by there are going to be more people giving up completely on giving the game a second chance and that is bad news for SE.

Even with all that said the biggest issue is that people are seeing how SE deals with a sudden onset of a serious problem and its exactly how they handled it in XI and XIV 1.0, painfully slowly and without any communication with the player base. When there is a historical precedent people are going to be quick to jump to conclusions when you are falling right along inline with it.

Standard combat characters i'm sure (Swords, axes, claws). Not sure about ranged attackers.

Art style, soundtrack, and UI in general goes a long way too. Helps if you're a fan of the series.

At any rate, the most drastic fix for the errors should be a data roll back for any characters affected. Of course i'm not sure if that would actually fix things...but it would be better than a wipe, seeing how there are still players not having the issue.

I really hope there's some sort of character time out in place for launch. Or one where attempting to log in while logged in will disconnect the logged in player. FFXI had both of these, i believe.

Dunan

That said, assuming I adore FFXII and Xenoblade, will this game click with me?

Its got Xenoblade's feel of exploration, and the User interface/Battle System might be your style if you could imagine playing FFXII while other players controlled your party members.

It might click, since the universe itself feels a bit Ivaliceish (complete with complicated location names), but the story at this point takes a little before it starts to take off.

Speaking of Xenoblade, was the "small XP gift when discovering a new area" thing in β-3 or is it new with this phase? I don't remember seeing it last time.

But Dropbear, this is my first MMO as well, and I loved FFXII (and the first half or so of Xenoblade, which is as far as I got), and I'm loving this too. Playing the game is much easier and less stressful than talking about it on forums, in a sense, because MMOs have a whole online subculture with its own jargon and abbreviations that are impenetrable for a newbie (a single monster is somehow a "mob"? "DPS" means "damage per second" but can also refer to a person who specializes in that?).

Sometimes it's fun to just stay within the game's world and let the game teach you what you need.

Speaking of Xenoblade, was the "small XP gift when discovering a new area" thing in β-3 or is it new with this phase? I don't remember seeing it last time.

But Dropbear, this is my first MMO as well, and I loved FFXII (and the first half or so of Xenoblade, which is as far as I got), and I'm loving this too. Playing the game is much easier and less stressful than talking about it on forums, in a sense, because MMOs have a whole online subculture with its own jargon and abbreviations that are impenetrable for a newbie (a single monster is somehow a "mob"? "DPS" means "damage per second" but can also refer to a person who specializes in that?).

Sometimes it's fun to just stay within the game's world and let the game teach you what you need.

The XP bonus for exploring is new.

Sakura

Why would they do a character wipe? How would that solve these 90000 issues or whatever people are having? Isn't that more a login/disconnect issue? If they wipe the characters, then the issue would just come back with new characters. I imagine they will work on fixing it during the down time after the open beta, some people need to take it easy~

Raijinken

I wasn't affected by any errors since I haven't actually started playing the game. I've just been spending hours in character creation but now I'm afraid to begin because my character might get wiped once again... Should I even bother with the beta at this point? I do wanna level up a bit but I don't want it all to feel like a waste of time if they're going to wipe all characters again because of the glitch that's going around...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why would they do a character wipe? How would that solve these 90000 issues or whatever people are having? Isn't that more a login/disconnect issue? If they wipe the characters, then the issue would just come back with new characters. I imagine they will work on fixing it during the down time after the open beta, some people need to take it easy~
People always get exaggeratedly upset when they look forward to something get a taste then have it taken away. Don't take the anger too seriously :p

If something as minor as this makes them quit at this point in time they were not really interested in the first place.

MMO launches typically have server issues of many different types at launch.

scosher

Except Yoshida said himself Phase 4 was a "demo" to let new players try out the game before launch/early access. P4 being only a weekend long, one week before release, with character progression saved...suggests hat it's really only an "open beta" in name.

Even then, the lack of communication from Square is more alarming than the 3102 error itself. It's as if they have no one on NA side to address this matter.

Ravidrath

I don't see how server issues would necessitate a character wipe - I think people are just overreacting.

"Game-breaking" bugs like gil duping, etc. would necessitate it. Server problems are just one of the things that comes with an MMO beta - it's a service issue, not a game issue.

theta11

Except Yoshida said himself Phase 4 was a "demo" to let new players try out the game before launch/early access. P4 being only a weekend long, one week before release, with character progression saved...suggests hat it's really only an "open beta" in name.

Even then, the lack of communication from Square is more alarming than the 3102 error itself. It's as if they have no one on NA side to address this matter.

That's how I feel about this whole thing. Forums went down almost 12 hours ago and we haven't really been receiving any information regarding the 2 errors apart from acknowledgement. Nothing meaningful has been posted in almost 24 hours.

Teknoman

Well while we're waiting, and i posted it late last night:

The last of us: XIV

ib2JsPbivdd6aA.png

ibvL3Zyrwu6sYs.png

i9iW5u0w56GiZ.png

ikotThX245Gjr.png

I think the general idea behind people being afraid of a potential wipe is that progress is being saved and there are large portions of MMO player bases that take progression rather seriously. You end up having part of the player base without errors able to level all of the jobs up to level 20 before early access even starts, and then another part of the player base that can't even play at all so they are just that much farther behind to start the game.

I doubt it will actually lead to any kind of wipes but that is the general feeling behind it as far as I know. I also don't think SE will really care enough about how that portion of the player base feels to do a wipe at this point.

Muddimar

I'm currently at work... about to head home in a bit. Should I even try logging on? Are there some people able to play? Or does the 3102 bug eventually infect everyone?

theta11

I'm currently at work... about to head home in a bit. Should I even try logging on? Are there some people able to play? Or does the 3102 bug eventually infect everyone?

If you want to play and can, go for it. If or when the bug hits it was a fun ride.

I leveled lancer to 16 but am bored out of my mind, the combat is so... so cookie cutter generic and slow.

How do alternative jobs work? you have to level them from 1? I figured crafting would be sidejobs like in other mmos but you have to forgo your combat abilities to level leatherworking?

Is there any class that is more fun than lancer? because I don't find lancer enjoyable whatsoever, I stuck with the game till lvl 16 thinking it would get better with more abilities but they are all just token animations that do x dmg with some modifier... how dull

Also what is the purpose of the guildleves, are they just dailies for some bonus exp? I notice they are repeatable.

barrin87

I'm sure it's already been asked but what does it mean when the game says that I'm already logged in and to give it a few minutes to let myself log out? I got the error last night but was fine since I was done already. It's giving me the error message again today though. Any ideas?

Got my Arcanist up to level 17 already and am really liking him. I want to go Scholar for healing but it sucks that Arcanist counts as DPS until then. Makes the Conjurer all the more important at the beginning of the game.

I don't see how server issues would necessitate a character wipe - I think people are just overreacting.

"Game-breaking" bugs like gil duping, etc. would necessitate it. Server problems are just one of the things that comes with an MMO beta - it's a service issue, not a game issue.

That's what I'm hoping. It would suck for the people that couldn't or barely made any progress but I don't think a wipe for everyone is the solution.

Anteater

I leveled lancer to 16 but am bored out of my mind, the combat is so... so cookie cutter generic and slow.

How do alternative jobs work? you have to level them from 1? I figured crafting would be sidejobs like in other mmos but you have to forgo your combat abilities to level leatherworking?

Is there any class that is more fun than lancer? because I don't find lancer enjoyable whatsoever, I stuck with the game till lvl 16 thinking it would get better with more abilities but they are all just token animations that do x dmg with some modifier... how dull

Try a tank, it's usually a bit more active and fun than other melee classes, but only in party, in general most classes are boring solo at least early on.

Teknoman

That's what I'm hoping. It would suck for the people that couldn't or barely made any progress but I don't think a wipe for everyone is the solution.

I dont care about others behind ahead or whatever, I just dont want to go through starter Ul'dah / Gladiator stuff a 3rd time lol.

Berordn

Pugilist and Thaumaturge are a lot more involved and have you paying more attention to buffs, debuffs and just have a more interesting and less static rotation.

But it's MMO combat so it doesn't really get interesting until the enemies start doing more things.

Also what is the purpose of the guildleves, are they just dailies for some bonus exp? I notice they are repeatable.

To be fair LNC is one of the ones that start to kick fairly later, I think until you get your full first combo and DRG first skills is rather boring.

Other classes fares a bit better and start to be more fun way before. I consider THM and MRD more fun, they aren't much better at that level but IMO they are more involved. I heard people love PUG too, other don't but in paper sounds fun.

I dont care about others behind ahead or whatever, I just dont want to go through starter Ul'dah / Gladiator stuff a 3rd time lol.

I'm in the same boat, call me a bastard but I was one of those fools that leveled to 35 in Phase 2 and in Phase 3 over lvl 25 too. I don't want to do it again! lol

Anteater

bah can't log in, I guess I can't play until other people stops playing!

I can't expect my friends to spam clicking the server to log in lol, I'm just gonna go play Mirror's Edge.

Teknoman

Pugilist and Thaumaturge are a lot more involved and have you paying more attention to buffs, debuffs and just have a more interesting and less static rotation.

But it's MMO combat so it doesn't really get interesting until the enemies start doing more things.

Yeah once you start having to worry about constantly moving around, and maybe even graduate into Dragoon.

barrin87

Never mind about my last post as it's the 3102 bug everyone is apparently getting. Too bad since I would have like to play more this weekend.

It's odd to read about all of these problems since I've had no errors or log-in delays / difficulties myself, and I've been playing all weekend. I'm playing on Cerberus ( an EU server ), so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I doubt there's going to be a wipe, since this error ultimately affects only a minority of the people that are now playing ( despite the apparent prominence of the error ). I certainly hope they won't initiate a wipe, since my character is building up well. ;o

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think the general idea behind people being afraid of a potential wipe is that progress is being saved and there are large portions of MMO player bases that take progression rather seriously. You end up having part of the player base without errors able to level all of the jobs up to level 20 before early access even starts, and then another part of the player base that can't even play at all so they are just that much farther behind to start the game.

I doubt it will actually lead to any kind of wipes but that is the general feeling behind it as far as I know. I also don't think SE will really care enough about how that portion of the player base feels to do a wipe at this point.

All of this. Plus, let us not forget...SE failed at FFXIV once already. This is not a good look for people who remember that (everybody pretty much). Compound that fact with them not saying anything about the issue and its no surprise people would think negatively.

SE should be doing everything possible to be open and fair here and they aren't doing that to this point. For a struggling company who have completely tanked this generation, addressing their audience should be very important.

I don't want a wipe, I put in a ton of time. lol I just wouldn't be surprised to see it. However, one really shouldn't be surprised at any negativity towards SE here. They are looked at as a failure and this doesn't help one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom