• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR - Beta Phase 4 Aug 16-19. [open beta now over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReaperXL7

Did people have these 90k and 30whatever errors this much during previous phases of the beta?
I've had no issues during the Phase 3 or 4 so far (UK player, on NA server Sargatanas).
I agree that SE need to sort that stuff out and it probably does need longer in beta but I don't think anyone will get any kind of compensation. Maybe apply rested bonus to characters affected by issue (if they can tell for certain) but that is it. It's an open beta not release. They don't have to have the servers up and running and don't have to let people play. If people have problems playing they need to sort that out (the entire point of beta tests is to find bugs and issues and get them fixed before release).

I only played in phase 3 previously, and atleast in my experience these problems did not exsist at all during that phase. The login/server issues are new I think.

Tarazet

3102. No entry for this error on their support site, no communication.. what kind of customer service do they think this is? In this day and age do they think they can keep players in the dark and expect that they won't be soured by the experience?

Jinko

Well the other possibility is that this problem was created by SE and thats why they are not responding to the problem. I dont think its impossible that they themselves created this issue for the purpose of A) ensuring people dont go over a point of progress before the actual game comes out, or spend too much time in the game before that period, or B) targeting players based on length of time since initial sign in, and booting them after a specific point to make sure new players can get into the game some before the Beta closes.

These are obviously just theories on part, and it could just be a genuine technical bug, but the lack of any information is what makes me think it could be on purpose. The smart thing for SE would have been to make the open beta atleast a week long, because if these are real problems then it makes me feel the game is not ready for primetime. The random aspect to voice acting even within the main storyline, the server issues, various bugs I have read about, sound issues in general, etc.

Should be pretty curious to see how much they can fix before launch.

Well if you are going to do something like that you shoudl be upfront before hand and say "hey we are going to limit your access time, so its fair for everyone"

Otherwise you are going to get a lot of confusion and backlash.

I doubt they're booting people to prevent progress. Isn't that what the level 20 call is partially for?

Yeah, also JP server dosn't have these problems.

Unless they want japanese to have an advantage!

Ff4yAGO.gif

Given how it's multiple servers, and multiple regions, chances are it's a character state issue when changing zones.

That said, there are mmo's with "safe login" that allows a person to log in from the last known safe zone change.

There seems to be some adjustment to the UI on PC for TV play but still not enough configuration options to make it an optimal experience at 1080p.

I'm toughing it out on PC until the PS4 version is released. That will hopefully have the same graphical fidelity with a TV friendly UI.

teiresias

No one is a survivor until it doesn't hit you after release of the game, and then when it does you're only a survivor if SE has fixed their crappy support infrastructure and is actually able to fix support issues that NA/EU players bring to them - neither of which they seem competent enough to do at this point.

Baleoce

Given how it's multiple servers, and multiple regions, chances are it's a character state issue when changing zones.

That said, there are mmo's with "safe login" that allows a person to log in from the last known safe zone change.

Interesting you should say that. The very first time I 90k'd was in Central Thanalan doing a Gladiator instance. Ever since then, whenever I 90k anywhere else in the game-world, upon logging back in I re-appear at that same Gladiator instance spot, regardless of which quest/zone I was doing.

ReaperXL7

There seems to be some adjustment to the UI on PC for TV play but still not enough configuration options to make it an optimal experience at 1080p.

I'm toughing it out on PC until the PS4 version is released. That will hopefully have the same graphical fidelity with a TV friendly UI.

Im actually pretty surprised by how well the console interface works honestly. In that reguard SE did a great job in making a more traditional mmo work pretty well with a controller. I can see it being more of an issue for magic users though, especially ACNs who also have to manage their pets skills/abilities.

teiresias

Well the other possibility is that this problem was created by SE and thats why they are not responding to the problem. I dont think its impossible that they themselves created this issue for the purpose of A) ensuring people dont go over a point of progress before the actual game comes out, or spend too much time in the game before that period, or B) targeting players based on length of time since initial sign in, and booting them after a specific point to make sure new players can get into the game some before the Beta closes.

This is a theory made up of a load of manure. I'd been leveling a single job and was only up to level 11 in that ONE job when I got booted by a 90000 error while zoning and now am suffering from 3102.

This is crappy code, crappy communication, and crappy support all on the shoulders of SE. Quit trying to make excuses for their lame infrastructure.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This doesn't give me confidence, after just getting my character up to 20 and then preordering the game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm so so so so tempted to join the GAF shell on Sargatanas and return to my legacy character but I start classes in a week.... ahhhh education is more important than fun right gaf? r-right?
If you're prone to getting too addicted, yes. Linear progression with all classes and all profession on one toon is a bit much compared to other mmo's even.

ReaperXL7

This is a theory made up of a load of manure. I'd been leveling a single job and was only up to level 11 in that ONE job when I got booted by a 90000 error while zoning and now am suffering from 3102.

This is crappy code, crappy communication, and crappy support all on the shoulders of SE. Quit trying to make excuses for their lame infrastructure.

Not making excuses for anyone, its just speculation. Granted it is likely wrong, but you never really know until SE says something.

Xavien

Seems like the issue is with zone changes, were you zoning somewhere in Ul'dah or nearby?

Welcome all newcomers to the 3102 club; it sucks =D. I'll post what I posted last night for all who didn't catch it. This was a running theory on the beta forums prior to them being shut down:

From all the speculation on the forums in the official topic for the error is that your character is lost in limbo due to how the game maps the coordinates of your current position. If you have friends on and they look for your status, it'll even show you offline. So while the game shows you offline, the game also can't find you because it's unable to map your current position. It seems this is happening to people who were in the middle of porting somewhere or in an instance/zone area. Just pure speculation though and probably not even close to truth.

The more I hear about it and read people's complaints, the more likely it's seemingly becoming. Who knows.

teiresias

Seems like the issue is with zone changes, where you zoning somewhere in Ul'dah or nearby?

Was zoning into Western La Noscea from Middle La Noscea (I was doing a quest for the guy at the Skylift).

At this point my rage is less about the errors themselves and more about how SE is handling the entire thing. They've either taken the beta forums offline or didn't build them to support the load, they seemingly can't help people or flat out ignore them, and seemingly ignore the English Beta Forums completely much of the time. Then they don't update the Lodestone or the Twitter account with updates on issues that are affecting large swathes of the gaming population. It's absolutely ridiculous.

This IS NOT the kind of behavior one should expect when you're going to be paying a subscription fee to play an MMO.

Claneko

Ugh...got the 3102 error here too. Didn't have zoning problems or anything like that, I just simply logged out to eat dinner last night, and when I came back I got an unpleasant surprise. Seriously though, all the time I played before was completely trouble free, no 9k errors, nothing.

dropbear

Banned
Quick question for those who have played ARR...

I never got into FFXI, or any MMO for that matter (unless Diablo II way back when counts), but am intrigued by FFXIV:ARR. That said, assuming I adore FFXII and Xenoblade, will this game click with me?

teiresias

I never got into FFXI, or any MMO for that matter (unless Diablo II way back when counts), but am intrigued by FFXIV:ARR. That said, assuming I adore FFXII and Xenoblade, will this game click with me?

You'd be better off going with Rift or something else. At this point if you pay for FFXIV and have problems SE will do crap all to help you in terms of tech support. There's no reason to give them money for this.

It might click for you given how FFXII and Xenoblade are very MMOish. That said given your lack of experience in MMO's this might be the best thing ever or worst thing ever lol.

This game is like a traditional MMO e.g. WoW in a sense. Not exactly the same but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Given that FF XII is basically an offline MMO in structure I'd say yes, you'll enjoy it.

Xavien

Well that blows my theory out the water, would be nice for SE to have a timeout timer on all characters. So even with the disconnection bugs, you could still login after a few mins.

Audioboxer

Are any of the classes more controller friendly than the others?

I've put in my pre-order for the PS3 version. Want to finally be lazy and enjoy a couch MMO.

Welcome all newcomers to the 3102 club; it sucks =D. I'll post what I posted last night for all who didn't catch it. This was a running theory on the beta forums prior to them being shut down:

From all the speculation on the forums in the official topic for the error is that your character is lost in limbo due to how the game maps the coordinates of your current position. If you have friends on and they look for your status, it'll even show you offline. So while the game shows you offline, the game also can't find you because it's unable to map your current position. It seems this is happening to people who were in the middle of porting somewhere or in an instance/zone area. Just pure speculation though and probably not even close to truth.

The more I hear about it and read people's complaints, the more likely it's seemingly becoming. Who knows.

Yup, makes sense. I was in the middle of porting when I got 3102'd.

Aesthet1c

Don't listen to the angry people in this thread. It's a beta and bound to have problems, especially when their servers are getting hammered. (Rift is also a terrible game)

FFXIV is really fun. If you like XII you will definitely enjoy this. The combat isn't exactly similar, but it has some similarities. The world is beautiful and the art style is amazing. Plus the game is super cheap, and you get 30 days of free play time. It's worth checking out.

Well that blows my theory out the water, would be nice for SE to have a timeout timer on all characters. So even with the disconnection bugs, you could still login after a few mins.

XI has the option to eliminate logout timers, right? Maybe they're gunshy about introducing one and alienating XI players...

I don't know, I'm gonna go play Payday 2. More than a little grouchy about this. I can't get a good idea on how much of the community is offline due to the /forums being down/ but a good chunk of GAF, two RP sites and anecdotal evidence from friends say it's at least a somewhat decent minority. If it's character positioning errors (Which is what it seems like), rolling restarts should fix it.

Being the last day of beta, I doubt we'll see that. The servers get turned off at 2am anyway, so the issue will hopefully resolve itself. Then it's up to them to fix it before next weekend.

Let me in

Question! Do veteran players (As in, players who played in 1.0) get early access as well? Or do you have to pre-order?

I believe you have to pre-order (any version).

Also, I was playing Friday evening and all day Saturday up till about 3AM EST and I have never seen this 3102 error. I am, however, getting 1017 (server full) on Excalibur since 8am EST. It's 12, now.

A timeout would work if there wasn't a spontaneous server disconnection. However what SE needs to implement is a backup safe state in their database. If the main state derped out due to server crash or something, it goes to the last known safe position, if that location is derped then go to a default location like nearest aetheryte or something.

Even without that being able to reset a character state should be relatively easy if their DB has been designed in a logical fashion. However I'm guessing it's a convoluted mess.

So what are the chances we will see a wipe headed our way?

I'd say, right now and unless they can't really fix it, is unlikely. JP servers looks unafected and I don't see SE wiping their progress when they didn't have any problem, which makes unlikely a wipe in NA/EU only since they would create a big dissavantage and will create a major backslash.

Teknoman

Its got Xenoblade's feel of exploration, and the User interface/Battle System might be your style if you could imagine playing FFXII while other players controlled your party members.

It might click, since the universe itself feels a bit Ivaliceish (complete with complicated location names), but the story at this point takes a little before it starts to take off.

I might get a lot of hate for this, but if you want to get a feel for this game, go play the first 20 levels of wow(they're free). Most mmo's play similarly, kind of like FPS game, if you don't like WoW at all(gameplay wise) you may not like any mmo.

Edit: Oh wow. I made a JP character, got her to a point where i could log out, and now i can't enter character selection at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom