• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I don't know how many people caught this particular plot point as the story of 2.0 was a bit rushed but [SPOILARZ]
it's clear that Gaius was just being used as a pawn for the Ascians to activate the Ultima Weapon and it's clear he didn't realize it until it was far too late to change his mind about it. It's likely that the Ascians were going to using Ultima Weapon to absorb the power of all the Primals as their goal was to resurrect Zodiark and I guess that requires a lot of aetheric energy.

Shouldnt that have been obvious though? I mean at least it was to me when you guys got me through The Praetorium.

Tabris

Just a heads up, the most powerful FC in terms of hardcore members is CL, not GAF, NA, or anything else (like people are saying here). They dedicate work hour like time towards the game. Multiple groups with T9 cleared, and server first, worlds second. They'll be the first to clear T13 or whatever it'll be on Ultros.

If you are a super hardcore player, that's the FC to look to join. I'm definitely not. I think it's crazy to play the game that much and I don't know how they do it.

Kuusoge

Decided to finally activate my account and start playing. What is the best server on Primal(NA)? The only servers that are open are Famfrit, Lamia, Malboro and brinhyldr. Maybe this is a stupid question but I just don't want to be stuck on an empty server.

Isaccard

Just a heads up, the most powerful FC in terms of hardcore members is CL, not GAF, NA, or anything else (like people are saying here). They dedicate work hour like time towards the game. Multiple groups with T9 cleared, and server first, worlds second. They'll be the first to clear T13 or whatever it'll be on Ultros.

If you are a super hardcore player, that's the FC to look to join. I'm definitely not.

It's amazing you haven't been banned for one reason or another yet

Teknoman

Decided to finally activate my account and start playing. What is the best server on Primal(NA)? The only servers that are open are Famfrit, Lamia, Malboro and brinhyldr. Maybe this is a stupid question but I just don't want to be stuck on an empty server.

Wait for Ultros to open i'd say.

EDIT: Who is CL anyway? I need to get up to par on FC clout on Ultros.

Azrael

Well, I'm done announcing the location of marks on FC chat. Announced the position of Stinging Sophie and when people start arriving I'm told I can't get in a party because it's full. So I pull because a crowd is forming and I'm not going to get any credit if too many people show up without a party invite and the arrivals move the mob to reset it. Do something nice and let people know that a mark is up and I get 1 allied seal for my trouble.

Teknoman

Well, I'm done announcing the location of marks on FC chat. Announced the position of Stinging Sophie and when people start arriving I'm told I can't get in a party because it's full. So I pull because a crowd is forming and I'm not going to get any credit if too many people show up without a party invite and the arrivals move the move to reset it. Do something nice and let people know that a mark is up and I get 1 allied seal for my trouble.

Why didnt they just split, or another FC member invite you? Or at least join up whoever else is there.

Are there certain times that server restrictions are lifted or do I just have to wait and constantly check?

Check this page for updates --> http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)

Azrael

Why didnt they just split, or another FC member invite you? Or at least join up whoever else is there.

Because there are too many cliques in the GAF FC only in it for themselves that don't give a shit about the rest of the members?

Anyway, I finally cleared Moogle Mog Extreme so I'm in a pretty good mood otherwise, but I'm not going to announce the location of marks when this is the response in the FC.

iammeiam

EDIT: Who is CL anyway? I need to get up to par on FC clout on Ultros.

Collision.

I'm not entirely clear on how you'd determine FC power/clout. CL is more driven/focused and could probably hound you to death if for some reason they wanted to, and they have an air of exclusivity due to the dedication required, whereas GAF's strength is mostly its size and omnipresence and somehow managing to be a fairly huge casual FC that is not constantly /shouting or PFing for more members.

I dunno, maybe both FCs have shadow leaderships devoted to manipulating the economy and controlling the truth behind S rank spawns, and CL is winning the epic battle. In which case our puppetmasters should flood the market with cheap materials for Spine of the Vortex, to prove their true strength.

Because there are too many cliques in the GAF FC only in it for themselves that don't give a shit about the rest of the members?.

That sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you; the crap thing with B ranks is that you'll almost never see new parties form up for them because people who aren't already in a hunt party probably aren't going to bother to show up for a B. Temporary groups form and drop for As and Ses, not so much Bs.

So I don't really blame you for deciding to keep it to yourself in the future; that or area shouts is probably the best way to handle a B rank if you're not in an active hunting party.

WolvenOne

Why would I be banned by saying my opinion on who the most powerful FC is on Ultros. CL is the blue garter of Ultros. Or at least that's how it seems.

I honestly don't think CL, or even BG, is that much better than the best GAF or NA has to offer, at least in terms of raw skill. The main difference is that those Free Companies have a sufficient number of members that are willing to put in large amounts of time into progression, during a very short overall time span, to make certain methods of progression practical.

Basically, they have the resources and motivation to brute force thier way through content quickly. Thats impressive, but it likely results in a much higher turnover rate in membership. As far as I understand it, much of the BG team that cleared T5, wasn't on the team that cleared T9.

Sure, their accomplishments are impressive, and they deserve a certain degree of respect for that, but I cannot fault GAF and NA for their collective play style.

It's a game, games should be enjoyed, trying to play this game at a more enjoyable pace isn't a bad thing.

Besides, why push that hard? If you're not world first, or server first, the pace of clearing means very little.

Because there are too many cliques in the GAF FC only in it for themselves that don't give a shit about the rest of the members?

Anyway, I finally cleared Moogle Mog Extreme so I'm in a pretty good mood otherwise, but I'm not going to announce the location of marks when this is the response in the FC.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. Why not just start your own party? I often announce marks and get invites...and I'm not even part of the FC anymore.

Teknoman

Often times chat just gets lost in the shuffle. I dont think its cliques though. Sometimes I get a party, sometimes I dont. And thats from jumping in via coordinate posts.

Tabris

Not to defend anyone as I don't know the case in your fc, but I'm pretty sure that was just the case cause it was a B. B rank hunts aren't worth re-organizing parties for or shouting for pt members. A rank and S rank is where that happens though.

Mairu

I honestly don't think CL, or even BG, is that much better than the best GAF or NA has to offer, at least in terms of raw skill. The main difference is that those Free Companies have a sufficient number of members that are willing to put in large amounts of time into progression, during a very short overall time span, to make certain methods of progression practical.
This is cute

It's a game, games should be enjoyed, trying to play this game at a more enjoyable pace isn't a bad thing.
Feel free to let me know how people are supposed to enjoy Final Fantasy XIV.

tenchir

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. Why not just start your own party? I often announce marks and get invites...and I'm not even part of the FC anymore.

He might have problems forming one if he isn't in the LS, which seems like it if he's announcing it to FC. Based on today's activity in the LS, it's likely the group that came was probably a raid group, because I don't think there was any really active hunts group today. If there was a hunts group, it wouldn't have lasted that long since S aren't spawning today.

You also shouldn't expect instant invites too. I am sure that if they had room, he would have been invited. There are lots of time I didn't get invited right away because multiple groups were already full(this is doing the active time when As, Bs, and S spawns) and had to either wait for someone to drop out or create/join a new group.

He might have problems forming one if he isn't in the LS, which seems like it if he's announcing it to FC. Based on today's activity in the LS, it's likely the group that came was probably a raid group, because I don't think there was any really active hunts group today. If there was a hunts group, it wouldn't have lasted that long since S aren't spawning today.

You also shouldn't expect instant invites too. I am sure that if they had room, he would have been invited. There are lots of time I didn't get invited right away because multiple groups were already full(this is doing the active time when As, Bs, and S spawns) and had to either wait for someone to drop out or create/join a new group.

Doesn't appear he/she isn't in the LS. Better ask in the FC chat for an invite!

Otherwise you bring up valid points.

Ken

it's like high school all over again!

Often times chat just gets lost in the shuffle. I dont think its cliques though. Sometimes I get a party, sometimes I dont. And thats from jumping in via coordinate posts.

eh, cliques are a natural thing.

WolvenOne

This is cute

Feel free to let me know how people are supposed to enjoy Final Fantasy XIV.

Well, call me crazy, but spending twelve straight hours in Coil doesn't sound terribly fun, and from what I've heard, this is the sort of thing serious progression guilds do when they're going for that world first status.

If they want to do that fine, I can respect that sort of ambition. I can't blame people for, not, doing that however.

kierwynn

I'm curious. Why does GAF have an LS separate from the Free Company?

It wasn't made by any leaders or anything- it was just made by a member to keep all the hunt spam out of FC chat as there are a lot of people who don't want to see it and it just kind of became /the/ ls I guess.

tenchir

It wasn't made by any leaders or anything- it was just made by a member to keep all the hunt spam out of FC chat as there are a lot of people who don't want to see it and it just kind of became /the/ ls I guess.

I guess he's technically right in that there is a sort of clique within GAF which are the hunters clique. The leader has been trying to purge out non-active hunters, but it seems to always be full.

Teknoman

Not everyone in the FC wants to hear all the hunt chatter, and it lets non-FC-members who hunt with FC members share info.

This. Its just to keep the FC clear of coordinates / hunt rage / etc.

Like I said though, maybe me not being able to be online as much keeps me from seeing whatever people in cliques (closest thing I see to that are static groups for coil discussing things, which isnt a big deal), but even early on, I never really noticed anything.

I

HATE

THE ATMA quest

And all the farming that goes with it.

This is ridiculous. i repeat , this is ridiculous. i can't believe this.
I'm tired , i'm sick of this Please drop!

But nothing ...

Nothing
larry-mad%28b%29.gif

I don't mind low drop rates. But here , everything is so ...without feedback.

Get into a zone , do FATEs ... hope that something drop, hours and hours and HOURS in a row.
There comes a moment where i have to say no.

I'm done with this

Gaf hunt groups are made on the fly from who is available, they are not made by just inviting people in your inner circle. It would take saints to reform on the fly for a B rank hunt that will be dead before you can even work out who is going where. You missed out on 4 seals while if someone didn't reset from you pulling a dozen people would have missed out on any at all. It is unfortunate when things don't work out fairly but that doesn't mean people are acting with malice. The only "clique" when it comes to hunts in the FC is the 128 member one of the packed hunt ls that is there to keep the chatter that many other members would get angry at seeing out of fc chat. And from there info is passed around to numerous other non fc lses so that they in turn will do the same back to us.

So no, we are not out only for ourselves since that would mean less hunts in the long run from being greedy. Missing out on a few seals every now and then is much better then not getting updates from others in the long run, unless you think you can solo hunts and find them none stop when the world is full of people looking for them. I am however sorry that you missed out on some seals though.

Ken

Just get An Unidentified Allagan Tombstone from Syrcus and save up 1300 soldiery for your Weathered weapon instead.

Eh, that's only really applicable if he's even looking to do difficult content right now. Telling someone to drop a little over 3 weeks of soldiery on a weapon he might not even need (or might be obsolete by the time he does need it) isn't super helpful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Excalibur is the best at hunts.
There's a server-wide effort with a bunch of leaders constantly tracking the time-of-death data and pretty much the entire server being in one big Teamspeak group and there's absolutely zero FC feuds.

Well, I'm done announcing the location of marks on FC chat. Announced the position of Stinging Sophie and when people start arriving I'm told I can't get in a party because it's full. So I pull because a crowd is forming and I'm not going to get any credit if too many people show up without a party invite and the arrivals move the mob to reset it. Do something nice and let people know that a mark is up and I get 1 allied seal for my trouble.

I want to say that i'm shocked but i have had similar experiences. Sadly the greedy can never get enough.

Good luck on getting all those people decked out in full hunt gear and shitting logs to agree with you.

Just get An Unidentified Allagan Tombstone from Syrcus and save up 1300 soldiery for your Weathered weapon instead.
1300 soldiery ?

That's a lot

Got an example of what i can get for such trade ?
Eh, that's only really applicable if he's even looking to do difficult content right now. Telling someone to drop a little over 3 weeks of soldiery on a weapon he might not even need (or might be obsolete by the time he does need it) isn't super helpful.

I do plan to start Coil but i don't think i'll have enough time to do that.

(lv 89 SCH atm )

draw4wild

You missed out on 4 seals while if someone didn't reset from you pulling a dozen people would have missed out on any at all.

Isn't that the real question tho? Do the dozen people who happen to be in the clique hunt ls deserve those seals more than the person who actually found the mark?

People may not be being malicious but it's definetly selfish to think those 12 people deserve full credit over the person who actually found the mark

Alucrid

Banned

I don't know. Guy is in our FC after all, that has to drag us down a little.

Sophia

All that talk about tacos is a huge distraction which dramatically affects FC progression group productivity

It has been scientifically proven that the discussion of Tacos and promise of reward actually improves gameplay performance and general productivity! I tested it out myself in Sycrus Tower. The mere mention of Chipotle and tacos saw a 336% improvement!

Kenai

Isn't that the real question tho? Do the dozen people who happen to be in the clique hunt ls deserve those seals more than the person who actually found the mark?

People may not be being malicious but it's definetly selfish to think those 12 people deserve full credit over the person who actually found the mark

I actually think it's kind of rude to expect someone to be kicked for an invite too. Most of them are pickups and might stay together for a while (or not, various).

I mean, it sucks that you can't get credit at all solo for a B (you should be able to, B's were made for solo players I thought), but if there's no full groups start your own and invite people. Best solution I can think of anyway.

This kind of thinking is what started the GAF hunt hatred in the first place. People deciding to just pull when it only benefits them on something that could be spread out among a ton of people. It isn't about what is selfish or fair, its about doing what is in the FCs, and even your own, better interest in the long run if you are interested in continuing to do hunts. Working only in your own best interest will be noticed by other groups and gets people shunned. Some other groups may be able to deal with that, but even at our best, hunt wise, we would not get the same level of continued hunts and seals without the aid and cooperation of other groups on the server.

Furthermore, there really isn't a "clique". Even in my post I was being tongue in cheek mentioning it referencing the caped LS that is constantly trying to make new room along with the other LSes we report to. The people in it in no way exclude others from their reindeer games, there is just a physical limit to the people in a LS.

If you are a super hardcore player, that's the FC to look to join. I'm definitely not. I think it's crazy to play the game that much and I don't know how they do it.

Forgot to respond to this, but yeah, I too got a laugh when I saw people using a "they hate us because of our power" argument. They hated us in relation to hunts because we had a lot of people visibly acting in their own best interest to the detriment of others on the first few days of hunting. This may be because we have a ton of members so it is more likely to see one of them doing something then others. You continue to see it in shouts still because GAF seems not to know how to deal with trollan, maybe because of the sheltered forum we live on, and ZR comes from a place where if someone gets mad at you doing something you do it some more.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I actually think it's kind of rude to expect someone to be kicked for an invite too. Most of them are pickups and might stay together for a while (or not, various).

I mean, it sucks that you can't get credit at all solo for a B (you should be able to, B's were made for solo players I thought), but if there's no full groups start your own and invite people. Best solution I can think of anyway.

Bs were originally solo mobs, yes. They changed the HP on them when entire servers started zerging though.

Mairu

Well, call me crazy, but spending twelve straight hours in Coil doesn't sound terribly fun, and from what I've heard, this is the sort of thing serious progression guilds do when they're going for that world first status.

If they want to do that fine, I can respect that sort of ambition. I can't blame people for, not, doing that however.
You have a tendency to make a lot of conclusions about things you're really obviously unfamiliar with. Going for world first progression is definitely not for everyone but to say that the only difference between a group with people who play the game extremely casually and a group competing for world firsts is time invested is ignorant and laughable
Excalibur is the best at hunts.
There's a server-wide effort with a bunch of leaders constantly tracking the time-of-death data and pretty much the entire server being in one big Teamspeak group and there's absolutely zero FC feuds.
I've also not had bad experiences participating in hunts on Gilgamesh either.

dcye

Just because something isn't fun to you doesn't mean that its not fun or enjoyable for others.

Also; claiming that the FC's that lead the world in content clears only do so because of time and not skill is laughable and delusional. Smacks of someone who's never raided at the forefront of progression before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom