• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcye

Excalibur is the best at hunts.
There's a server-wide effort with a bunch of leaders constantly tracking the time-of-death data and pretty much the entire server being in one big Teamspeak group and there's absolutely zero FC feuds.

Phoenix is pretty great as well. There's a few people that do their own thing and have been blacklisted by the big Hunt LS's but missing out due to an "early pull" (can there even be such a thing? Its open world content) doesn't bother me at all. The best hunt LS on our server runs the show and I'm lucky enough to be in it thoigh.

Tabris

Honestly, I think one of the things that put groups like that outside players like me is not only time commitment but their ability to react individually and as a group to non-expected things.

To give you an example, the truly skilled players can do things like react to a renaud accidentally being frozen in a different spot than a stack spot and then the person with shriek and the rest of the party move in relation. While I know most of us would wipe from that.

Most players in this game can follow a strategy and practice to react to expected things based on that strategy, but if things start deviating from the strat they panic, freeze up, and wipe.

BadRNG

I love how the "open to literally everyone who asks for invite" LS is now a clique. The entire issue at this point is there are just so many people the LS doesn't have enough room, not exactly a problem a clique would have. We need to start a new one and have regular players in both to share coords, because even with removing the openly not hunting/alts, there's just not enough room.

Forgot to respond to this, but yeah, I too got a laugh when I saw people using a "they hate us because of our power" argument. They hated us in relation to hunts because we had a lot of people visibly acting in their own best interest to the detriment of others on the first few days of hunting.
As someone who was doing almost nothing but hunts those first couple of days, I don't even remember seeing this. I honestly thought it was a joke first time I heard the "damn it gaf" shouts. But I've seen a ton of people poke the bear and fuel it further when people say something in shout, which has not helped things.

I think the biggest issue is just that people are confused about what GAF is. It's not a typical guild, it's basically a giant chatbox/party finder for people on this forum. There is no common FC goal, no real coordination, it's very much a free for all with players of all different kinds. We don't tolerate cheaters and the like but otherwise people are left to their own devices, and there's not much interference with that. Trying to lump all 512 members into any kind of group completely misses the point and essence of the FC.

Teknoman

Honestly, I think one of the things that put groups like that outside players like me is not only time commitment but their ability to react individually and as a group to non-expected things.

To give you an example, the truly skilled players can do things like react to a renaud accidentally being frozen in a different spot than a stack spot and then the person with shriek and the rest of the party move in relation. While I know most of us would wipe from that.

Most players in this game can follow a strategy and practice to react to expected things based on that strategy, but if things start deviating from the strat they panic, freeze up, and wipe.

I will say I wish player could attempt to adapt to stuff like that on the fly. I've seen it happen in a few primal battles, but thats about it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I

HATE

THE ATMA quest

And all the farming that goes with it.

This is ridiculous. i repeat , this is ridiculous. i can't believe this.
I'm tired , i'm sick of this Please drop!

But nothing ...

Nothing
larry-mad%28b%29.gif

I don't mind low drop rates. But here , everything is so ...without feedback.

Get into a zone , do FATEs ... hope that something drop, hours and hours and HOURS in a row.
There comes a moment where i have to say no.

I'm done with this

As someone who just finished atma, all I can say is pick a zone, farm it while watching something, and systematically do each one.

I only did mine on weekends, and got it done in a couple weekends.

That said, I think I was lucky and got 4 atma a day twice, and two atma on another day.

I adhered to the time theory for the most part, and while some say its bullshit, 4 atma in a few hours is nothing to sneeze at.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As someone who just finished atma, all I can say is pick a zone, farm it while watching something, and systematically do each one.

That said, I think I was lucky and got 4 atma a day twice, and two atma on another day.

I adhered to the time theory for the most part, and while some say its bullshit, 4 atma in a few hours is nothing to sneeze at.

This is basically what I did. Yay for dual monitors.

I love how the "open to literally everyone who asks for invite" LS is now a clique. The entire issue at this point is there are just so many people the LS doesn't have enough room, not exactly a problem a clique would have. We need to start a new one and have regular players in both to share coords, because even with removing the openly not hunting/alts, there's just not enough room.

As someone who was doing almost nothing but hunts those first couple of days, I don't even remember seeing this. I honestly thought it was a joke first time I heard the "damn it gaf" shouts. But I've seen a ton of people poke the bear and fuel it further when people say something in shout, which has not helped things.

I think the biggest issue is just that people are confused about what GAF is. It's not a typical guild, it's basically a giant chatbox/party finder for people on this forum. There is no common FC goal, no real coordination, it's very much a free for all with players of all different kinds. We don't tolerate cheaters and the like but otherwise people are left to their own devices, and there's not much interference with that. Trying to lump all 512 members into any kind of group completely misses the point and essence of the FC.

I don't know, I would say we're a pretty hardcore RP guild man.

I only just caught up on the news from the last Producer Letter thanks to this article...

And I was wondering if this little snippet was talked about:

カンパニーコンテンツは,その名のとおりカンパニーで楽しめるコンテンツで,飛空挺や船を造ったり,それを改造したり,それらに乗って冒険に出たりできるようになるという。

Seems like they are teasing Free Company specific content where we can adventure around on Airships and Boats.

If that is what it actually is, could easily jump up as my most anticipated content.

Sophia

I just rhymed my way through two dungeons, Shantotto style, while healing. And earned myself the commendations both times. >_>;

WolvenOne

Just because something isn't fun to you doesn't mean that its not fun or enjoyable for others.

Also; claiming that the FC's that lead the world in content clears only do so because of time and not skill is laughable and delusional. Smacks of someone who's never raided at the forefront of progression before.

I didn't say that skill wasn't a factor, I merely stated that it likely wasn't the biggest singular factor. Time and dedication are resources that shouldn't be underestimated.

Also, just to further quantify things, if we're talking the best GAF or NA players vs the best BG and CL players. Well to keep it simple, I'd place BG/CL somewhere around 10, and the best GAF/NA players somewhere around 7.5 to 8. IE: Measurable, but not an immense unbridgeable chasm.

Also, for the record, I'd put myself around 6, maybe 6.5 on a good day. At best I'm slightly above average, I don't come anywhere close to the best GAF has to offer, let alone BG/CL.

Kenai

I only just caught up on the news from the last Producer Letter thanks to this article...

And I was wondering if this little snippet was talked about:

Seems like they are teasing Free Company specific content where we can adventure around on Airships and Boats.

If that is what it actually is, could easily jump up as my most anticipated content.

IIRC they already talked about this a bit. The last time they said multiple crafters would work together on a mini airship in the FC house somewhere and when it was closer to done they'd be able to finish the full size version in an outdoor area somewhere.

If no one touched upon it, it might just be that same info we saw before. or not, i can't read it.

WolvenOne

Pretty darn accurate description of the GAF FC, if you ask me. Frankly, I'm okay with this, I like the Free Company, and it fits my needs well.

Jayhawk

Trying to quantify a person's raid skill level in a 1-10 scale is pretty difficult. There are many different aspects a specific person can be good at that determines group success.

Some people are good leaders, by being able to motivate their group, and making tough decisions when determining if something is working or not for the group. Yet having a raid group of eight great leaders rarely works out well, due to power struggles.

Some people are good at following a fight's mechanics flawlessly, being completely aware and prepared for what is coming next. There is a huge difference between a group being able to one-shot everything flawlessly and a group where each person has a 5% chance of causing a wipe. The math behind a flawless group of eight and a group of eight people with 95% success rate each leads to a 100% group success rate versus 66% group success rate.

Being able to follow a fight's mechanics only works if you already know the fight mechanics. Some people are good at learning fight mechanics quickly and forming strategies to deal with the mechanics. The world-first groups often are the ones establishing the strategies that the other groups end up following. It's not like they had guides to read or videos to watch.

WolvenOne

Trying to quantify a person's raid skill level in a 1-10 scale is pretty difficult. There are many different aspects a specific person can be good at that determines group success.

I'm aware, I only used the 1-10 metric because, as imprecise and unscientific as it is, it at least does a decent job of conveying scales and magnitudes in a somewhat casual conversation.That can be somewhat important, as it's very easy for people to misunderstand the message you're trying to convey, if they do not have an accurate sense for the values you're discussing.

Hasney

Well, I'm done announcing the location of marks on FC chat. Announced the position of Stinging Sophie and when people start arriving I'm told I can't get in a party because it's full. So I pull because a crowd is forming and I'm not going to get any credit if too many people show up without a party invite and the arrivals move the mob to reset it. Do something nice and let people know that a mark is up and I get 1 allied seal for my trouble.

Well yeah. Parties are formed to hunt before the marks are up to hunt and at that point, there's only usually the one full party. Once an A or S is found, new parties form due to the amount of people who want to get involved, but the general population of the FC & LS are giving up on B ranks in prime time, because they're probably pulled by the time they get there.

/shout for an inv or use party finder, or just inv those that shout into a quick party. Even when the FC is full, I've never failed to get a party for any rank.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I just set up my ipad on my coffee table and watched Red Letter Media Star Trek/Star Wars reviews while I farmed. XD

IIRC they already talked about this a bit. The last time they said multiple crafters would work together on a mini airship in the FC house somewhere and when it was closer to done they'd be able to finish the full size version in an outdoor area somewhere.

If no one touched upon it, it might just be that same info we saw before. or not, i can't read it.

Yeah, it is just mentioned in passing in the 4gamer article in that one line. I wish I could find the original video but I guess an archived version isn't up yet? Either that or my google-fu is weak today.

But yeah it basically says exactly what I typed. "That they are aiming to create Company Content that is just as it sounds, content that players can enjoy together with their Free Company. This includes stuff like building and modifying Airships and Boats, and using them to go out on adventures."

I had never heard about this before as I am a new player, so I guess that is why it was just mentioned in passing. I do hope this happens as my least favorite part of the game is that the actual game world does feel very dead at the moment, as most of the best content is centered around the DF.

Hunts don't seem to be causing as much drama on my server as other places, so hopefully I can at least take part in those soon.

Did my first map...I got rekt. Would have gotten destroyed earlier but since I was in a party and none of the other members were with me, I couldn't dig. That's fucking stupid

Kenai

Yeah, it is just mentioned in passing in the 4gamer article in that one line. I wish I could find the original video but I guess an archived version isn't up yet? Either that or my google-fu is weak today.

But yeah it basically says exactly what I typed. "That they are aiming to create Company Content that is just as it sounds, content that players can enjoy together with their Free Company. This includes stuff like building and modifying Airships and Boats, and using them to go out on adventures."

I had never heard about this before as I am a new player, so I guess that is why it was just mentioned in passing. I do hope this happens as my least favorite part of the game is that the actual game world does feel very dead at the moment, as most of the best content is centered around the DF.

Hunts don't seem to be causing as much drama on my server as other places, so hopefully I can at least take part in those soon.

You might be interested in reading this then (be wary though cause it's kinda spoiler-y) http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122723-FFXIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Articles-and-Translated-Interviews

A master-thread where all blurbs about anything FF14 from magazines to interviews is translated and timelined. Even that interview from a few days ago is already up. Has general plans leading up to the next expansion, new features that they want to add, how they want to expand on what's already in game, ect.

dramatis

I bet that goddamn airship will be tied to some stupid month-long growth tree regimen for the bloody garden.

It already takes so damn long to grow anything why the hell would you add more rng good grief FF14 dev team

wait server time or japan time ?

Thanks ..
Dual monitor here i think i'll just do that.
After i manage to calm down because ..damn

Ken

I bet that goddamn airship will be tied to some stupid month-long growth tree regimen for the bloody garden.

It already takes so damn long to grow anything why the hell would you add more rng good grief FF14 dev team

Drama trying to mask all that bubbling excitement.

IMBored

As anything definitely been said about personal housing supporting gardens? I would think that's a given, but you never know. If so that would change the whole garden mats economy, 10x more gardens.

Hasney

As anything definitely been said about personal housing supporting gardens? I would think that's a given, but you never know. If so that would change the whole garden mats economy, 10x more gardens.

It will. Confirmed in the last live letter.

Why wouldn't they? People begged, pleaded, among other seedy things for XI level grinds. Now you get it and more!

dramatis

Still hoping for personal gardens to place in your persona room, a-la FFXI.
They mentioned something about flower pots.

I think it's ok too, the problem with the flower pot idea is that crossbreeding is probably going to be cut out of a flower pot situation. They can probably use an indoor planter box that isn't purely aesthetic. It can be 3 plots and would be fantastic because bloody hell, the FC needs more gardening plots.

Ricck

I

HATE

THE ATMA quest

And all the farming that goes with it.

This is ridiculous. i repeat , this is ridiculous. i can't believe this.
I'm tired , i'm sick of this Please drop!

But nothing ...

Nothing
larry-mad%28b%29.gif

I don't mind low drop rates. But here , everything is so ...without feedback.

Get into a zone , do FATEs ... hope that something drop, hours and hours and HOURS in a row.
There comes a moment where i have to say no.

I'm done with this

I just completed mine in a week (had 9 atmas remaining). What I find worked the best is changing zones every hour if I didn't get a drop. Seems to worked good. don't give up!!

Claymore

Are there any EU people on Ultros willing to start a new casual static?

If so pls pm me :)

I find it hard to find a static that raids during EU primetime

Why wouldn't they? People begged, pleaded, among other seedy things for XI level grinds. Now you get it and more!

who begged? SE ran out of content, i doubt they listened to any grind begging. they have no other choice. they will get burned in 3-4 weeks, when everyone and their mother is i110, thanks to hunts, and people will start twiddling their thumbs.

Mupod

I really don't understand why they keep emphasizing mindless zerg content. I didn't like this crap in other games, didn't like FATE leveling and only bothered with Atma when everyone else had stopped.

But instead of toning it down they put in mobs with way less hp than FATEs, spread them around the world on long timers and put endgame loot on them. Who thought this was a good idea? 1.0 players?

At least FATEs you could sit around in one zone and there'd often be at least one up.

Reknoc

found a savage might iv sitting in my retainers pockets, dunno how it got there, but it was like putting on an old coat and finding a tenner in one of the pockets.

dramatis

Ravishan Goldhawk has left the GAF FC on Ultros.

found a savage might iv sitting in my retainers pockets, dunno how it got there, but it was like putting on an old coat and finding a tenner in one of the pockets.
Just a tenner? It's more like a Benjamin Franklin.

Reknoc

Ravishan Goldhawk has left the GAF FC on Ultros.

Just a tenner? It's more like a Benjamin Franklin.

Well a tenner is the highest not I'd believably leave in a coat... but then I did go to a cash machine the other day to withdraw some money and found £30 in my wallet I didn't know was there so maybe not...

edit: ravishing nooooo :((((

Well, I'm done announcing the location of marks on FC chat. Announced the position of Stinging Sophie and when people start arriving I'm told I can't get in a party because it's full. So I pull because a crowd is forming and I'm not going to get any credit if too many people show up without a party invite and the arrivals move the mob to reset it. Do something nice and let people know that a mark is up and I get 1 allied seal for my trouble.

You should say you found a mark, ask for an invitation and only after you're in a party share the coordinates with everyone.

Last night I joined a hunt party in PF and they knew their shit. They knew the spawns windows of all the marks, they mentioned something about a "session". How do people find this stuff out?

And they're not the only ones. While we were looking in a zone about to spawn an A rank, many other players were looking too. I also found out I'm totally shit at reading the map and have no hope of getting to a hunt if I'm not following something. The whole system to put up a mark in the map works pretty terribly on PS4.

I got like 150 seals and way too many myth tomes and filled half my sol cap. The rewards are truly insane. I can see how a player alone would have no chance to get much, but with this specialized groups, I'm pretty sure rewards are much better than the developers intended.

I just set up my ipad on my coffee table and watched Red Letter Media Star Trek/Star Wars reviews while I farmed. XD

I did it on Vita while watching TV. I also do the same while crafting. Remote play is really a fantastic feature and why I would never consider moving to PC.

edgefusion

Are there any EU people on Ultros willing to start a new casual static?

If so pls pm me :)

I find it hard to find a static that raids during EU primetime

My static needs a black mage, summoner or dragoon. We run 7-10pm GMT tues, thurs and sun. Pm me on here or in game if you're interested.

As far as I'm aware I'm still in the GAF FC?

omlet

So I did like a dozen FATEs yesterday for atma in between hunts to see what it was like.

As expected, it was like stabbing myself in the eye with rusty needles.

Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Dropping that now while I'm still sane. So not worth it. Life is too short to do the most boring content in this game (FATEs) for hours on end. I'll be content with my 110 Rowena Token weapon and aim for a High Allagan if I can get a group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom