• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

Gold Member
You guys are so damn tall I can't even see Nalus Sulan.

The dyeable tabard isn't a crafted item. I noticed a dyed tabard on a dude who was teleporting between me and my camera in Mor Dhona, and got to examine him just before he left.

Turns out the level 40 Disciple of War chest pieces from each GC (XYX Sergeant's Tabard) are dyeable. I went over the lists at Maelstrom several times, and strangely enough it's the only piece you get from the GC that can be dyed.

The metal breastplate and the chainmail sleeves are differently colored depending on the GC, but the cloth part is largely the same (I think).

Ill have to check it out then! Thanks mucho for the tip.

Scher

The dyeable tabard isn't a crafted item. I noticed a dyed tabard on a dude who was teleporting between me and my camera in Mor Dhona, and got to examine him just before he left.

There is a dyeable tabard that can be crafted by weavers called Hempen Tabard. It's low level and super easy to make. I made one for my PLD because I really like the way it looks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've had the orbs on my wish list for days waiting for the drop, when I saw three listed so cheap I had to jump on it!

More like trying to recoup money after spending all savings on artisan tools. If 2.4 has completely new crafter gear to meld I'm going to kill myself.

The AF augment pieces let you trade in your old AF for a dyable version, the augmented i90 pieces have a glow effect.
Please no.
No.

dSUI1j7.png

These Ixal quests are getting wild.
Also, rehashing the joke for the quest name? Really? Cmon.

dramatis

It would be simply splendid if the new crafting gear requires yet another garden product.

There is a dyeable tabard that can be crafted by weavers called Hempen Tabard. It's low level and super easy to make. I made one for my PLD because I really like the way it looks.
I've seen that one. The differences between this and the GC tabards is the lack of chainmail sleeves and a different chestplate, probably also cloth texture. Up to dark_chris what he wants to use after previewing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It would be simply splendid if the new crafting gear requires yet another garden product.

I've seen that one. The differences between this and the GC tabards is the lack of chainmail sleeves and a different chestplate, probably also cloth texture. Up to dark_chris what he wants to use after previewing.

Gardening's a great idea! It really is!
It's just too goddamn bad about the personal housing.

I've had the orbs on my wish list for days waiting for the drop, when I saw three listed so cheap I had to jump on it!

More like trying to recoup money after spending all savings on artisan tools. If 2.4 has completely new crafter gear to meld I'm going to kill myself.

The AF augment pieces let you trade in your old AF for a dyable version, the augmented i90 pieces have a glow effect.

Me too. At least we should be safe on accessories for a while. I just finished penta-melding those. I've noticed, given current materia prices, that penta-melding is the way to go for pretty much every piece. It's pretty insane how they fluctuate though.

Optimal melds aren't necessarily obvious, it took me actually making a spreadsheet to realize that (after fully melding my CUL). I wasted way too much money on sub-optimal melds. The guides suck btw, very few pieces use tier IV materia and Control IV might as well not exist, I don't think anything needs it.

BadRNG

Me too. At least we should be safe on accessories for a while. I just finished penta-melding those. I've noticed, given current materia prices, that penta-melding is the way to go for pretty much every piece. It's pretty insane how they fluctuate though.

Optimal melds aren't necessarily obvious, it took me actually making a spreadsheet to realize that (after fully melding my CUL). I wasted way too much money on sub-optimal melds. The guides suck btw, very few pieces use tier IV materia and Control IV might as well not exist, I don't think anything needs it.
That's kind of the thing, there's no true optimal since prices fluctuate so much. Most guides should just be taken as possible combinations, not scripture.

I used Control IV in chest on two of my crafters iirc, due to the control III/IIs being way way more expensive then the craftmanship IIIs at the time. So I did Craft IV, Control IV, Craft 3x2 and control 1

That's kind of the thing, there's no true optimal since prices fluctuate so much. Most guides should just be taken as possible combinations, not scripture.

I used Control IV in chest on two of my crafters iirc, due to the control III/IIs being way way more expensive then the craftmanship IIIs at the time. So I did Craft IV, Control IV, Craft 3x2 and control 1

Maybe there's no true optimal since some materias could be easily interchanged, like Control II or Craft III I was looking at yesterday for a body piece. However there are certainly sub-optimal melds no matter what, since the prices of Control IV have been several times those of Control III for a long time.

I can tell you right now that you wasted the Control IV and probably spent at least 100k more than you should have melding your chest. I could tell you the exact number with today's prices when I get home if you want.

Right now the optimal body meld is Craft IV, Control III, Craft III, Control II, Craft III. I found the order interesting since Control II was a little more expensive than Craft III, but the correct position was Slot 4 given the variations of percentages between tier II and III materia. However given the major fluctuations in Craft III (which has gotten a lot more expensive recently) and Control II, this could easily change. What I'm 100% sure of though is that Control IV has no place in that meld.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So... Just got to level 50.

What's the easiest way to gear up for actual endgame content? Is doing Low Level Roulette and Main Scenario Duty Roulette the only way to get the Mythology stones?

iammeiam

So... Just got to level 50.

What's the easiest way to gear up for actual endgame content? Is doing Low Level Roulette and Main Scenario Duty Roulette the only way to get the Mythology stones?

Go on PF and find a Hunt Party. Join said Hunt Party. Hang around long enough to kill a full cycle of A ranks. Get myth and allied seals and soldiery. Seals can be used to buy myth gear, too. If you're max rank with your GC, make sure to do your weekly hunt bill too.

You can get myth from other roulettes and dungeons too, but hunting is the quickest way to boost your iLevel to the point of not needing to worry about minimum requirements for content. Them you can just focus on clearing stuff (get your relic!) without hitting iLevel walls all over the place.

BadRNG

Maybe there's no true optimal since some materias could be easily interchanged, like Control II or Craft III I was looking at yesterday for a body piece. However there are certainly sub-optimal melds no matter what, since the prices of Control IV have been several times those of Control III for a long time.

I can tell you right now that you wasted the Control IV and probably spent at least 100k more than you should have melding your chest. I could tell you the exact number with today's prices when I get home if you want.

Today's prices aren't applicable though. At the time, I got the control IV for around 180k, the control II/IIIs were around 30k each(wtf). If I would of failed 5 of the 35% IIs I'd of broken even, which while only being a 11% chance it is still a risk. There's also the fact that I could use the 1-2k control I for my final pentameld over a much more expensive II or III. The craft 3s were only like 15k at the time, but using my prices with your suggested meld order I'd need to fail at least 7 I melds to match even one failed III. The disparity could be better or worse depending on current prices, but that was my original point.

There is really no perfect, 100%, optimal or suboptimal meld order because the prices can vary that much. I have seen as much as 150% fluctuation on certain materia. It is pretty insane.

Today's prices aren't applicable though. At the time, I got the control IV for around 180k, the control II/IIIs were around 30k each(wtf). If I would of failed 5 of the 35% IIs I'd of broken even, which while only being a 11% chance it is still a risk. There's also the fact that I could use the 1-2k control I for my final pentameld over a much more expensive II or III. The craft 3s were only like 15k at the time, but using my prices with your suggested meld order I'd need to fail at least 7 I melds to match even one failed III. The disparity could be better or worse depending on current prices, but that was my original point.

There is really no perfect, 100%, optimal or suboptimal meld order because the prices can vary that much. I have seen as much as 150% fluctuation on certain materia. It is pretty insane.

That's close to yesterday's prices, except the Control IV is around 250k. I could run it with those prices if you want, though I agree with your premise that there's no 100% optimal meld for all time, there's certainly an optimal meld the moment you're doing it. And with the huge difference in price between Control IV and III using Control IV for the body is a pretty bad idea on the long term.

aceface

Please only get one atma in the 14 hour atma challenge so Yoshi finally admits how ridiculous atmas actually are.

He's trolling even by having that challenge in there!

WolvenOne

Okay, I asked a variant of this question awhile ago, (last November) but I figure the equation has probably changed now. How much time should it take to level a miner, specifically, from 19 to 50? I'm reaching the point where I'm wanting a steadier supply of Gil. What, with all the food, crunchberries, housing, armor augments and such I've been known to buy.

I'm going to start leveling crafters too, but mostly so I can affix junk materia and spiritbind faster. Ixali dailies are proving hecka valuable for this. I'm nearing 20 on my Blacksmith, and I'll probably switch out and repeat these dailies with other classes, so I can get that leveling bonus without having to spend Gil on HQ Turn In's.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
How much time should it take to level a miner, specifically, from 19 to 50? I'm reaching the point where I'm wanting a steadier supply of Gil. What, with all the food, crunchberries, housing, armor augments and such I've been known to buy.

With leves? Probably around ten hours. Without? A few days maybe. And all of your remaining sanity.

Okay, I asked a variant of this question awhile ago, (last November) but I figure the equation has probably changed now. How much time should it take to level a miner, specifically, from 19 to 50? I'm reaching the point where I'm wanting a steadier supply of Gil. What, with all the food, crunchberries, housing, armor augments and such I've been known to buy.

I'm going to start leveling crafters too, but mostly so I can affix junk materia and spiritbind faster. Ixali dailies are proving hecka valuable for this. I'm nearing 20 on my Blacksmith, and I'll probably switch out and repeat these dailies with other classes, so I can get that leveling bonus without having to spend Gil on HQ Turn In's.

I'm a little torn on Ixali quests. On the one hand, if you've already leveled your crafters, it devalues the work you've done, since it's now much easier to level up. On the other hand, really the only way to make money with crafting is to sell stuff to crafters that are lower level than you. My sales have gone way up since the Ixali quests started (and for ridiculous prices too). Stuff that costs about 100 gil to make (including the shard) can sell for 8-9k. Just crazy.

Zalasta

Make sure you take advantage of the GC manuals too. I leveled my gathering w/o leves because I used everything I gathered. So you have to decide if you simply want to get to 50 as fast as possible or do you want to make/save money while doing it?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hunt hunt hunt hunt

Go on PF and find a Hunt Party. Join said Hunt Party. Hang around long enough to kill a full cycle of A ranks. Get myth and allied seals and soldiery. Seals can be used to buy myth gear, too. If you're max rank with your GC, make sure to do your weekly hunt bill too.

You can get myth from other roulettes and dungeons too, but hunting is the quickest way to boost your iLevel to the point of not needing to worry about minimum requirements for content. Them you can just focus on clearing stuff (get your relic!) without hitting iLevel walls all over the place.

Good stuff. Thanks!

WolvenOne

I'm a little torn on Ixali quests. On the one hand, if you've already leveled your crafters, it devalues the work you've done, since it's now much easier to level up. On the other hand, really the only way to make money with crafting is to sell stuff to crafters that are lower level than you. My sales have gone way up since the Ixali quests started (and for ridiculous prices too). Stuff that costs about 100 gil to make (including the shard) can sell for 8-9k. Just crazy.

I'm not buying any stuff for turn in's or whatnot when it comes to crafting. I'm a cheapskate, and need all the Gil I can get. XD

Not too long if you have leves. If you don't want to grind it all at once, there's also daily provisions / turn ins at your GC and the challenge log.

I have full leves right now, so, I guess it's mainly a matter of when I can get away from leveling my alt to work on miner. <_<;;

Make sure you take advantage of the GC manuals too. I leveled my gathering w/o leves because I used everything I gathered. So you have to decide if you simply want to get to 50 as fast as possible or do you want to make/save money while doing it?

And it comes back to GC Seals. *sigh* Gadzooks, now that I'm not doing Animus or Novus I never have enough GC seals. They were constantly overflowing before. D:

Scher

I have full leves right now, so, I guess it's mainly a matter of when I can get away from leveling my alt to work on miner. <_<;;

One thing to keep in mind is that if you level mining using leves, try to stick with doing evaluation leves. These leves will assign a point value to the stuff you gather, and by getting above a certain number of points, you will get huge exp bonuses.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Apparently there WILL be new tomestones and previous intel was a mistranslation.
In patch 2.2, Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy were eliminated and Soldiery was implemented. Will a new Allagan Tomestone be implemented in patch 2.4 to replace Mythology?

You could think that based on what's happened before. Also, you should expect the economy to change completely again in patch 2.4.

If Allagan Tomestones are added, where will we be able to get Mythology equipment?

We haven't yet decided yet whether it will remain. It's tough to see it suddenly become a direct drop from dungeons, but it would also be annoying if they just became items exchanged for something else.

Since I like Allagan equipment, when I do a new job and I want to get item level 90, I try to set myself up with Allagan gear. If mythology equipment became a straight drop, the motivation to get Allagan gear would go down even more. I still wonder if we should have put a 5 level difference to keep it useful.

With Soldiery and High Allagan equipment, this was reflected in the difference in item level. Since we are also players ourselves, we have some idea of what things need to be improved from the players' point of view. We also try to be highly conscious of the fact that the motivation to get items changes when we make adjustments to how items are obtained.

This time, we added the Oil and Sands of Time to strengthen the Soldiery equipment, and there were pros and cons to this mechanism. We won't necessarily follow this system again, but we will continue to keep the system in the future where we develop Tomestone exchange items and items dropped from high level content so that there's a certain period of time involved with developing your equipment performance.

via BG

PANIC

Apparently there WILL be new tomestones and previous intel was a mistranslation.

via BG

PANIC

Honestly wondering how anyone could have thought differently. The moment they took out the old tomestones and made myth the new base tomestone was when it became clear that they wanted to go with the WotLK model of dungeon currency, where every new tier there is always a new high end currency and then the old currency gets replaced with the high end currency from the tier before.

It prevents stockpiling so that people can't just load up on the new gear the moment the new patch comes out. Because it's either they allow stockpiling and make it known that if you are not capped before said new patch goes live, then you will be behind right off the bat, or they make a new high end currency so everyone starts off on the same footing as far as gear progression goes. There would be more drama if people were behind the moment a patch went live because they didn't cap an old currency than there would if everyone had to start from scratch again with a new currency.

studyguy

Well it's more like
OH IT'S DIFFERENT NOW? WHAT DEVIOUS SCHEME YOSHIP HAS IN MI--- oh it's just a new tier of the same progression what a shocker, carry on.

Eh, we knew there was a new AF tier like at the start of the year, so it doesn't surprise me if they add another tome or some other gate. It's all the same in the end, themepark gate general.

Least they look nice I guess.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Are they splitting it by job again? Pls, Yoshi, no.
That does look great however, genuinely looking forward to what my jobs are gonna look like.
Man, if there's anything ARR does right, it's the god damn fashion.

studyguy

Are they splitting it by job again? Pls, Yoshi, no.
That does look great however, genuinely looking forward to what my jobs are gonna look like.
Man, if there's anything ARR does right, it's the god damn fashion.

Just google FFXIV AF2, WAR/SMN/DRG/MNK/BRD were all shown already.
AF is always job specific. Hope you all have enough storage room.

Supposed WAR AF2 looks like some MH gear, idk how I feel about it.
I know yoship has a MH boner, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom