• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV DLC includes playable Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto, ‘Online Exp'

sviri

So they are saying that this content isn't stuff that was factored out of the game's content... that's fine and all but I don't really believe them.

I've got a really bad feeling about this game. My hype (and lack of disappointment) peaked at E3 '13.

Ugh... this is such a tragic look for Final Fantasy peddling this stuff. Sign of the times I guess.

You know I think there's few things that put me off a game more than devs pushing all this stuff already before the game is even out.
Entitlement game strong af. Let's say FFXV gives u 100 hours or a high quality/quantitative length in the main game to do. Do you still have the same thought process?

silva1991

I still don't understand.

A completely original episode focused on Noctis’ companion Gladiolus. In this episode, you can control Gladiolus as a playable character.

what I understand from this is that Gladio will be playable in only a certain DLC episode

I'm saying if they already designed him as playable character character in this certain original episode then why not also in the whole base game instead of just Noctis.

duckroll

Well it's kinda curious you can use the other party members in the DLC while in the main game they re locked out...

No I think it's not curious at all. FFXV is a game where they have been honest about how making the game is hard because Square Enix is now a company of amateurs. After struggling to create HD towns, they now struggle with shipping a HD semi-open world game. So it is understandable that with their lack of competence, they had to focus on the development of a single player character.

Once they actually get the game out and make some money back after being laughed at online for 10 years, the team can then focus on other things like making the other party members potentially fun to actually control and play. If they succeed, people paying a few bucks for the DLC content will be happy. If they fail, at least the people who are disappointed are only the ones who bought the DLC, hence a subset of people who bought the game.

what I understand from this is that Gladio will be playable in only a certain DLC episode

I'm saying if they already designed him as playable character character in this certain original episode then why not also in the whole base game instead of just Noctis.

There are DLC episodes for all 3 party members. Each episode is a story focused on that character, with that character playable. It's not just Gladio.

No I think it's not curious at all. FFXV is a game where they have been honest about how making the game is hard because Square Enix is now a company of amateurs. After struggling to create HD towns, they now struggle with shipping a HD semi-open world game. So it is understandable that with their lack of competence, they had to focus on the development of a single player character.

Once they actually get the game out and make some money back after being laughed at online for 10 years, the team can then focus on other things like making the other party members potentially fun to actually control and play. If they succeed, people paying a few bucks for the DLC content will be happy. If they fail, at least the people who are disappointed are only the ones who bought the DLC, hence a subset of people who bought the game.

:(

Most likely because this content is not ready for the game's release and as such is DLC.

jeez...

Ugh... this is such a tragic look for Final Fantasy peddling this stuff. Sign of the times I guess.

You know I think there's few things that put me off a game more than devs pushing all this stuff already before the game is even out.

It shouldn't be that surprising though. In fact this is better than how it used to be done with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts back on the PS2 and PSP. They would release the games and then release updated versions with new content calling them "Final Mix" or "International" and you'd have to re-buy the games. Recently we had an even worse scenario Final Fantasy XIII-2 had important plot-ending content locked behind DLC which isn't happening with XV. I don't see a problem with them selling additional content since they've already said they aren't working on it until the game launches. If people don't want to buy it blindly they don't have to.

IvorB

Entitlement game strong af. Let's say FFXV gives u 100 hours or a high quality/quantitative length in the main game to do. Do you still have the same thought process?

I don't know how many hours of content the game has and that information isn't available to me now as the thought process is occurring. All I see is a publisher pushing addons and additional monetisation before they've even released the actual thing.

If by "entitlement" you mean being a prospective consumer and being entitled to my views they, yeah, I'm entitled af.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

You're so harsh with this company's achivements and passion I can't disagree more with your evil words :D
Well I'm pretty positive, I really hope the game delivers and people on this forum stops being so negative about everything ^^
But still... I'm not sure DLC playable characters weren't in development from longer than now and they decided long before to put them as DLCs as a selling factor for the season pass and the likes ;) this is still a business company...

I don't know how many hours of content the game has and that information isn't available to me now as the thought process is occurring. All I see is a publisher pushing addons and additional monetisation before they've even released the actual thing.

If by "entitlement" you mean being a prospective consumer and being entitled to my views they, yeah, I'm entitled af.
"In terms of clearing the main story, we're anticipating about 40-50 hours of gameplay," said Tabata. "At the very least there will be 40 hours of content to enjoy. But there are a lot of side quests and other extra things. With just the extra stuff alone, we're looking at maybe 100 hours of gameplay. So if you count all of that, maybe we're looking at around 200 hours of gameplay." http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/17/e3-2016-final-fantasy-15-story-length-revealed
Developers can't win outchea

Zomba13

Really does suck that this isn't included in the Ultimate Edition but is in the digital "premium" version or whatever.

oimori

at least character switching was removed to make the gameplay better according to Tabata. not a technical issue.

kromeo

at least character switching was removed to make the gameplay better according to Tabata. not a technical issue.

I always assumed they cut it to keep development time down
lol

Being locked to one character in a party based rpg isn't my idea of improving gameplay

duckroll

I always assumed they cut it to keep development time down
lol

Being locked to one character in a party based rpg isn't my idea of improving gameplay

Removing the option for the player to experience something fundamentally bad is an improvement over allowing the player to experience something that is halfbaked. Yes, they need to keep the development time down. Yes, given infinite time and maybe more experience or talent, they could make the same game with switchable characters and they would all be fun to play and have their own play styles, skill systems, and tons of weapons. But in the end, Tabata is right, if they can't make the other characters play well, it is better to have one playable character which feels acceptable, than 4 playable characters who feel like Simple 2000: The Final Fantasy,

Hagi

I still have no idea after two demos if I'm even going to like this game (I hope I do) so DLC is not on my radar.

The game isn't even out yet and we're already talking about its DLCs.

What have the world come to.

This is the world we have been living since the 360 and PS3 released. I can't believe we still get people coming into threads bemoaning this practice like it's something new.

IvorB

It shouldn't be that surprising though. In fact this is better than how it used to be done with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts back on the PS2 and PSP. They would release the games and then release updated versions with new content calling them "Final Mix" or "International" and you'd have to re-buy the games. Recently we had an even worse scenario Final Fantasy XIII-2 had important plot-ending content locked behind DLC which isn't happening with XV. I don't see a problem with them selling additional content since they've already said they aren't working on it until the game launches. If people don't want to buy it blindly they don't have to.

Hmmm... what you're saying mostly makes sense but it doesn't really make me feel any different. I guess I just have a very strong negative perception of DLC.

Developers can't win outchea

I appreciate that you're trying to show me that the main game has plenty of content and I don't dispute that but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. I have a perception issue with this type of approach which is that pushing all these extras and addons before the actual thing has released is just not a good look for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You're so harsh with this company's achivements and passion I can't disagree more with your evil words :D
Well I'm pretty positive, I really hope the game delivers and people on this forum stops being so negative about everything ^^
But still... I'm not sure DLC playable characters weren't in development from longer than now and they decided long before to put them as DLCs as a selling factor for the season pass and the likes ;) this is still a business company...
Evil words? Oh Perfo...

Carmelozi

Oh I wondered what were these DLCs. Characters DLCs and Expansion could be interesting. If I'm not wrong, we will have new infos at Gamescom about these DLCs, no?

LAA

From what I've seen it is only included in the digital deluxe version, whatever that is called. All physical special versions seemingly need to buy it separately.

I think that's the case yeah. I can't really say I expected the deluxe edition to get it. £70 to get the game, season pass, steelbook and Kingsglaive? Don't think they would be making much profit from that if any.
The UCE though I think they could add. It is the most expensive physical edition and it is limited, though I suppose the figure does make up most of the cost. I'm hoping for the very least a discount or something.
I am a bit annoyed with the dlc situation. The season pass I'm fine with and am actually a little excited for, (I am excited to play as other characters, but Noctis can basically use all of their play styles, except Prompto really, so hoping it's different enough for me to care)
It's more all the pre order bonuses and kings tale, and no-one can get everything essentially day 1, maybe ever, without resorting to ebay hoping people are selling codes, or actually pre-ordering the game from multiple retailers like 4x.

Whompa02

Nice to see the other cast members as playable characters in the dlc future. One less thing for people to complain about. Guess since its dlc though that some will get upset.

Might be the first dlc ever that I get...

I appreciate that you're trying to show me that the main game has plenty of content and I don't dispute that but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. I have a perception issue with this type of approach which is that pushing all these extras and addons before the actual thing has released is just not a good look for me.
That has plenty to do with what u said, dlc is extra content. If u end up satisfied with the game, why do u care that they showed their plans to extend the game? DLC is not a new concept, to be upset about showing their release schedule makes no sense in this day and age.

If a game has a chance of being a success, why would u not take advantage and show to consumers that yes there will be more in the forseeable future for that game so that ppl can prepare themselves with their wallets and their heads

Hmmm... what you're saying mostly makes sense but it doesn't really make me feel any different. I guess I just have a very strong negative perception of DLC.

I understand. There are a lot of cases where DLC is handled horribly. I don't see FFXV's Season Pass being bad at all but I can see where you're coming from.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think I am missing some important meme here

duckroll has been commenting about the game since the Versus days. He kinda disappeared for a good few years, but now that the game is releasing soon he's back with a vengeance. His opinion is always generally quite interesting and entertaining.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm just going to assume that the "online" part is just a mistranslation or stating that it'll be available online or something. There is no reason to put online in the game. It really doesn't make sense to either. If people want an online Final Fantasy game there's already FFXIV and FFXI.
They added in an online mode as an update to Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Nomura wanted online in the game when this was Versus, so I suspect it's actual online.

I'd guess some kind of co-op survival horde thing or thereabouts.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well it seems as a Defender of FFXIII I will have to come back in full force defending FFXV too. I thought story would be different this time (a new FF, no more Lightning and Toriyama, what could be wrong? Fans will be happy!), but Final Fantasy haters think different (and that makes 50% of "its" fans), always ready for one more fight.

Well know this: I'm fucking ready!

Golnei

online with no customizable gear?

should've been playable Cor DLC instead of these 3 stooges

tumblr_ntvnam9peC1u6i0ico2_400.gif

2jfpz5f.jpg

;_;

Top Bottom