• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay @ PAX West

Amon-Lau

It's likely incomplete. You don't make half the circle empty just so people can be disappointed lol.

There's also the fact the points for it is shared for other characters so you don't want to focus on one character... :eek:

Arkeband

Banned
If that's actually running on a PS4 (because it's easy to hide away a computer for display/convention demos), that framerate and IQ is definitely better than I anticipated it to be compared to the last footage.

I've watched multiple gameplay videos of this game by now, does the combat ever get more complex than mashing circle with Batman tier lock on, except when a giant square button begins flashing on your screen? It just looks so simplistic and repetetive.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
If that's actually running on a PS4 (because it's easy to hide away a computer for display/convention demos), that framerate and IQ is definitely better than I anticipated it to be compared to the last footage.

I think we're in serious optimization time and it might get even better. Tabata said that they would add a little bit extra (content-wise) beyond what would have been in the original September day 1 patch, but I think they want to have this running as good as possible on the OG PS4 hardware. The big market for this game, day 1 and full price, is on Sony's platform with a bit of help from Microsoft's in the West. There's a little bit of talk about PC in FFXV threads here but frankly Japan couldn't give a shit and neither can a majority of the Western audience the game is focused on.

A lot of the assets are really good at higher LOD, and they need this to run okay on PS4. I have faith in this team that they'll have it running pretty well at the end of it.

There's only one shot to get a good Metacritic rating and word of mouth and I think Square Enix recognizes that with the delay past Black Friday.

Dark_castle

Are you fucking kidding me with that camera in the dungeon? With the very small tight spaces already, you also have to deal with three other guys hogging the space, blocking player's view and limited the paths Noctis could move to.

What??

vikkemon

Are you fucking kidding me with that camera in the dungeon? With the very small tight spaces already, you also have to deal with three other guys hogging the space, blocking player's view and limited the paths Noctis could move to.

What??

I'm kinda worried about that even tho bad camera is something I can easily overlook in most games.

But yeah, feels really broken in close quarters.

Bladenic

I played some Duscae tonight on a whim. Still had fun, but a lot of the gameplay in this footage looked better. I didn't watch that much, but I'm still hyped for release.

HMD

What??

Yeah there was a cave area in Duscae that was almost unplayable because of the camera.

DeSolos

If it's anything like they're E3 displays, the consoles were not only visible, but I saw staff even go to the PS4 menu to launch the game after crashes.

A screenshot from the PAX vid:
29357060091_a6b8d52d78_o.jpg

Grass not too far from our heroes:
o7ehUtk.png

Xenogears:
xenogears-screenshot.jpg

Are you serious with that compressed-as-fuck screenshot? Of course it's blurred when you zoom in.

Dark_castle

Yeah there was a cave area in Duscae that was almost unplayable because of the camera.

This mine is somehow worse than the cave because in the mine, you are often forced into battles which takes place in very tight corridors and pathways, whereas in the Duscae cave, they happened in slightly wider areas IIRC.

The dungeon itself is okay. Fairly atmospheric, has quite many branch paths, though each path are straight lines like the hallways of FFXIII, some basic traps and random scripted sequences like a random Goblin shutting down a door for lulz which could help to break the monotony. I can't complain about that. What bothered me is how chaotic and messy the battles are in the mine, and how exactly do you aim the magic in very tight corridors with your party members all getting in the way in the middle of battlefield? It's not like in CRPG where you could manually position your party members and tactically prevent friendly fire and at the same time damages enemy targets. Did they even think this through?

And as I previously said, in tight spaces, 3 other party members all fight in close proximity, making the fights really cluttered and messy. How are I supposed to fight tactically like that manner?

AzureFlame

How the hell i supposed to fight hordes of goblins in a narrow area strategically!? They look annoying and fast not to mention the camera..

This mine is somehow worse than the cave because in the mine, you are often forced into battles which takes place in very tight corridors and pathways, whereas in the Duscae cave, they happened in slightly wider areas IIRC.

The dungeon itself is okay. Fairly atmospheric, has quite many branch paths, though each path are straight lines like the hallways of FFXIII, some basic traps and random scripted sequences like a random Goblin shutting down a door for lulz which could help to break the monotony. I can't complain about that. What bothered me is how chaotic and messy the battles are in the mine, and how exactly do you aim the magic in very tight corridors with your party members all getting in the way in the middle of battlefield? It's not like in CRPG where you could manually position your party members and tactically prevent friendly fire and at the same time damages enemy targets. Did they even think this through?

And as I previously said, in tight spaces, 3 other party members all fight in close proximity, making the fights really cluttered and messy. How are I supposed to fight tactically like that manner?

So long as I can leave areas like that. I remember playing Duscae and being body-blocked by my party members to the point where I couldn't even get out.

wanders

The other half will open probably when you get the ring.

Or probably not. But let's say you're right; the current half is still lacking though. One of the final nodes just increases your charge time. Most of the skills are passive. I don't want a passive skill tree. Yawn.

Dark_castle

How the hell i supposed to fight hordes of goblins in a narrow area strategically!? They look annoying and fast not to mention the camera..

Spams your attack mindlessly like the developers demonstrated, obviously!

...Seriously, I can't believe people in the last 5 pages are all happy with that. Have we all collectively accepted that the combat in narrow areas are going to be button mashfest and just close one eye and move on?

Spams your attack mindlessly like the developers demonstrated, obviously!

...Seriously, I can't believe people in the last 5 pages are all happy with that. Have we all collectively accepted that the combat in narrow areas are going to be button mashfest and just close one eye and move on?
Probably not bothering people as much as some want it too?

Game looks good and improved... can't believe we were supposed to have it by the end of this month, oh well better to play it on PS4neo.

And, people are way too harsh on this game :\

Mailbox

I don't see what has changed since her earlier design, can somebody enlighten me?

The only real difference to her character model is her pants. Initially she pretty much had a crotch-piece and then long leg armour which weren't attached so a bit of upper thigh was showing. It came up as a point of contention in some previous threads.

xixfrln.png

This is how she was in vs13. Now she has pants.

JBwB

The amount of abilities in that sphere grid for Noctis seems suspiciously small. Those abilities only cover the top half so it's probable that
ring magic abilities will cover the bottom half when we eventually get it halfway into the game.

And, people are way too harsh on this game :\

I've noticed it's always the same people in every thread.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Good that they have changed it. That crotch piece was ugly.

Can it be November already?

The dungeon in the PAX demo looks like alot of fun. I like the surprises they've thrown in there, with carts hitting you from behind and the samurai looking guy knocking you off the bridge.

Combat looks fun, magic looks fun. I'll be playing on the OG PS4 and if this is OG gameplay I'm pretty happy with it.

Tyaren

They took in the car complaints and made the manual controls / handling more free-form, like it should be. Thanks Tabata.

giphy.gif

The car still doesn't turn manually though but with a button press. ;) In that gameplay vid it also parked itself automatically with a button press.

Nya

Does it really matter though what they do with the car? I honestly didn't care much for having a GTA-like experience running over stuff and crashing into other cars. As long as flying isn't terrible and the car gets me where I wanna go I am pretty much satisfied. IMO they have more important stuff to fix like the camera, I was really bothered by how terrible it was during fight sequences in the dungeon =/

Tyaren

Does it really matter though what they do with the car? I honestly didn't care much for having a GTA-like experience running over stuff and crashing into other cars. As long as flying isn't terrible and the car gets me where I wanna go I am pretty much satisfied. IMO they have more important stuff to fix like the camera, I was really bothered by how terrible it was during fight sequences in the dungeon =/

Aren't literally all cameras in video gaming terrible in cramped spaces? Don't see what there's to fix, really. ;)

AzureFlame

I wonder if they will buy the game when it's released... or if they were hyped for it already and were waiting for it for years... :p !

I'll definitely buy it, been waiting for a long time, even tho it's not really what i hoped it would be from all what I've seen, i just want to close the book.

JBwB

Aren't literally all cameras in video gaming terrible in cramped spaces? Don't see what there's to fix, really. ;)

Yeah pretty much. Even the Souls / Witcher games have issues with their camera's in really cramped environments. There's really not much you can do.

Soriku

I don't think there are any magic camera solutions for a cramped room in a video game. If anything you should say they should've made those hallways more spacious so there isn't a problem in the first place, plus giving you more maneuverability in gameplay. That said the goblins don't look very hard so the camera probably won't be an issue if you're worried about dying (plus it's easier to get rid of them when they're all cramped in the same area).

Top Bottom