• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay @ PAX West

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there are any magic camera solutions for a cramped room in a video game. If anything you should say they should've made those hallways more spacious so there isn't a problem in the first place, plus giving you more maneuverability in gameplay. That said the goblins don't look very hard so the camera probably won't be an issue if you're worried about dying (plus it's easier to get rid of them when they're all cramped in the same area).

Another solution would be to make caves and dungeons, basically all or most tight spaces, have fixed cameras.

nOoblet16

I don't think there are any magic camera solutions for a cramped room in a video game. If anything you should say they should've made those hallways more spacious so there isn't a problem in the first place, plus giving you more maneuverability in gameplay. That said the goblins don't look very hard so the camera probably won't be an issue if you're worried about dying (plus it's easier to get rid of them when they're all cramped in the same area).
There is, you pull the camera back. You don't even have to keep it fixed.

R0nn

I feel much more positive about this footage than what we saw at Gamescom. Still holding out hope that it will be good.

Biggest complaint from this footage is the camera in cramped spaces, but I can't come up with any other third person game, especially (action) RPGs that handle it better.

Mailbox

There is, you pull the camera back. You don't even have to keep it fixed.

... no thats a terrible idea. when the camera needs to pull in quickly at a wall, it will get even more disorienting.

keeping it fixed wouldn't work well considering the battle system. This isn't nier where we have 7 different gameplay styles and control schemes for different cameras

Falk

that puzzling face
Back in the PS1 era, you'd have the camera exist in impossible spaces, and not draw the walls facing away from the camera. OTOH, stuff like Grandia, Xenogears, etc. Yeah, it was a staple of isometric or 2D sidescrolling framing, but I think a variation could be a solution for 3rd-person/over-the-shoulder framing as well.

fQ3aVZJ.png

It still had a bunch of stuff like piping, cabinets, etc on the wall that got partially drawn, but I think that was a pretty good compromise. There's probably far more things that could break and graphical glitches to take care of with a less rigid/controlled camera angle, but of course, smarter decision making on what to draw and what not to draw naturally should have evolved in the intervening 2 decades.

Amon-Lau

huh? the video shows everyone has their own though?
They each have their own skill tree but they use the same points pool, so if you spent it a lot on Noctis and unlock a lot of his skills you'll end up with the others kinda lacking, which they mentioned in the video... :p

Dark_castle

I don't think I have suffered from camera issues in Souls game very often even in tight spaces. This is because while the camera can get too close to player in those area, I wasn't busy fighting like a million goblins simultaneously. With Souls, I could easily lock on to just one or two target you're pitted against, I don't have to panic fighting multiple targets and the camera at the same time.

Koozek

Screw the textures, text that blurry is unacceptable in 2016!

Are you serious with that compressed-as-fuck screenshot? Of course it's blurred when you zoom in.

What a fucking terrible post.

xd

He cropped the grass that's two feet to the right of Noctis, it's not a zoom in. Still YT compression.
No one got the reference? :( See Plywood's post (which I still don't know if it's meant seriously or not, lol):
http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=214311762

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the best solution would be to leave battles in open spaces

Has there really ever been a game with a boss fight in a telephone booth?

Subliminally communicating to the player that corridors means no battles or jump scares probably leads to a little too much predictability over a long time, which can work against atmosphere.

nOoblet16

... no thats a terrible idea. when the camera needs to pull in quickly at a wall, it will get even more disorienting.
What are you even talking about?
You can have the camera collision off and the geometry disappear or become translucent if the camera goes inside the walls. Plenty of games have done it and it's the best way to do camera in closed areas outside of fixed cameras that are pulled back.

The combat in this game does not require directional input so your combat inputs are not dependant on the camera sngle. In fact even a game like DMC that requires delicate directional input works with a camera that can be both fixed and not fixed with the same inputs. It's workable you're just having the wrong idea in your head and assuming it won't work because of that.

wanders

Has there really ever been a game with a boss fight in a telephone booth?

Subliminally communicating to the player that corridors means no battles or jump scares probably leads to a little too much predictability over a long time, which can work against atmosphere.

I'm sure some turned based JRPG had a final boss in a space smaller than that :p

I guess I'm saying drawn out battles shouldn't be in narrow corridors

why 720p ? why so compressed ? something to hide ?

It's a livestream from PAX so it's not gonna properly reflect the quality of the game. They're not hiding anything since they've been pretty open on the game's resolution and visuals. The PS4 version runs at a dynamic resolution going from 900p - 1080p so it can maintain 30FPS.

Terrorblot

I'm starting to feel more and more positive about this one. I won't let my guard down but this will definitely be a Day 1 purchase for me. The way I see it, if it's good it's good, and if it's terrible at least I get to experience the shit show.

Prepare for disappointment!

The other half will open probably when you get the ring.

As I've pointed out from as far back as 3 weeks ago when I had my 4-hour hands-on, the screen sort of makes sense when you look at it: it's a circle. Noctis' skills cover the top part of the circle, Gladio the bottom part, Prompto the left, Ignis the right. I don't think it's going to 'fill in' because the menu is actually a nice thematic design -- the idea is that the four are a part of a greater whole, and so when you look at all four skill trees side by side they form a perfect circle, whereas alone each is only part.

I do think the ring and the phantom swords will unlock some new stuff, but I'm strongly of the belief this skill tree is 'it' for actual skills you spend AP on. There's skill stuff in other areas for each character's special non-battle skills anyway, plus weapon variety, etc. It's more an action game, so there's less skills they can really implement anyway.

Philippo

As I've pointed out from as far back as 3 weeks ago when I had my 4-hour hands-on, the screen sort of makes sense when you look at it: it's a circle. Noctis' skills cover the top part of the circle, Gladio the bottom part, Prompto the left, Ignis the right. I don't think it's going to 'fill in' because the menu is actually a nice thematic design -- the idea is that the four are a part of a greater whole, and so when you look at all four skill trees side by side they form a perfect circle, whereas alone each is only part.

I do think the ring and the phantom swords will unlock some new stuff, but I'm strongly of the belief this skill tree is 'it' for actual skills you spend AP on. There's skill stuff in other areas for each character's special non-battle skills anyway, plus weapon variety, etc. It's more an action game, so there's less skills they can really implement anyway.

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense, but each one of them has it's own circle, and each one of those circles is half-empty. You don't design something like that if it's not going to fill up.

This sounds right to me.

Of course it seems different weapon types come with their own active skills (jump for spears, tempest for great sword), phantom weapons have their own gimmicks, we'll have ring magic, upgradable elemental magic, and who knows what accessories might end up giving us. I've been pleased with how much variety in skill and play style the new footage has suggested. Anyway, Final fantasy has never had a huge WRPG style skill tree.

Sphere grid and crystarium are almost completely status ups.

XII might be the closest, but not too many interesting active skills on that, either.

Also, you'd mentioned the camera wasn't AS bad when playing as it seems when watching. Did you find it an active deterrent to fighting in close quarters?

In Duscae, part of the strategy for fighting goblins is to keep them in front of you/don't get surrounded. When they do start coming from all quarters, it's disorienting, but that seems appropriate for being attacked by a small tricky enemy in a dark cave. Then I'd just warp to a more favorable position anyway.

JBwB

I'll have to remember to stock up on magic spells before I enter that specific dungeon. Seems like one of the best ways to deal with those annoying critters.

SkylineRKR

I've been very negative about FFXV, I didnt like what I had seen so far but this presentation was very well done. Dungeon seems to be optional, has layers and a challenge.

bigol

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense, but each one of them has it's own circle, and each one of those circles is half-empty. You don't design something like that if it's not going to fill up.

I would say don't get your hopes up, there is nothing suggesting the Ascension skill tree will be expanded later. Tabata neither talked about that.

Ran rp

No one got the reference? :( See Plywood's post (which I still don't know if it's meant seriously or not, lol):
http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=214311762

Why not?

[*]It's perhaps not the best way to explain this due to the size of this shot but I'd like to draw your attention to the shrubs in the upper left corner of this screen. When blown up to a decently sized TV, even at this close distance, those shrubs looked like sprites from Minecraft/Stardew Valley, and I swear I'm not being hyperbolic.

Looking at that gif comparison in the OP is interesting. The shrubs in the XB1 version look like they did in the PS4 build I played.

So either that's not XB1 or the PS4 build is definitely newer than Gamescom.

Dark_castle

If I have one good thing to say about this presentation, it's that the game actually has some challenging, multi-floored dungeon with some depth and various branching paths in it that one could get lost without a minimap. I like that. I was worried that the developers would get too carried away in the open world gameplay that the dungeons in the game are all short and shallow and unsatisfying, like in say Xenoblade or Witcher 3.

Despite all my bitching, the fact that they added outfits that aren't black in color and now the dungeons are looking decent (despite the problematic camera problem during battle in tight areas, sort it out please), I like where it's going. Battle system outside of really small locations genuinely looks like it could be fun.

They apparently ran a chocobro poll at PAX

I'm surprised that Ignis is getting all this love, it's the character I've sympathized with the least.

When I grow up I wanna be stylin as Ignis. Sharpest looker, great cook, smooth as fuck voice. So yeah I'm not surprised he's fave.

jett

D-Member
PSY・S;215862594 said:
Prompto's 3rd I think.

Noctis > Tabata > Prompto > Ignis > Gladio

edit: bleh, not counting again.

Unless I miscounted, Prompto is ahead of Ignis by a single star lol.

BumRush

I think it looks better and better...but at this point, I'm excited to see what NEO can do to it.

Haven't not played an FF day one since the SNES days but it might be hard knowing there's graphical / framerate superiority right around the corner.

KupoNut

Liking how the game improves so fast. With another 2 months of balancing, bug fixing and graphics polishing this is going to become something great.

Top Bottom