• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

Shojx

The tech demo managed to impress / hype me more than the actual trailer.

I liked it! I love rain, so good-looking rain physics are a plus for me. I still think Noctis's teleporting skill is awesome, and it looks really fun to control.

The battle system looked okay; I actually wouldn't have minded it being closer to KH since I love the heck out of that game series and its battle system. Noctis's dodging looked pretty funny, and I actually like how he materializes his weapon in different forms out of nowhere, as if he's doing some kind of alchemy. I do kinda wish that striking the enemy looked more satisfying, if that makes sense. That's something the KH series does really well, it just feels good to slash and attack the enemies, but I suppose it might look too flashy if they focused on that, and they may still be working on the finer details. The fire magic looked pretty cool from what we saw!

And of course, Noctis's hair is still looking like the coolest thing ever, as always.

But yeah, I liked what they showed.

pszet0

Banned
HUD looks incomplete, but there was weapon switching seen regardless of the HUD element for it not being present.

Whenever you see those blue sparks show up it's a weapon switch.

Hopefully the SE Presents segment for it goes into detail.
What makes you think the weapon switching is manual though? It could be automatic and change on it's own as part of a combo for example

Bazztek

Banned
What makes you think the weapon switching is manual though? It could be automatic and change on it's own as part of a combo for example

It was stated to be manual last year, we don't know if they changed it back to being automatic like the 2011 trailer yet.

//DEVIL//

after watching that video, this by far my most wanted game of the generation. like honestly nothing even is close to it. I am in love with the art style, the graphics, the animation, the gameplay.

I seriously can't wait. I am a sucker for final fantasy games.

But we actually don't know if character switching is still in or out?

This. I think people are fretting too much over the info they've released, when it's likely this info represents a sliver of the possibilities the entire gameplay holds. Square wouldn't reveal everything about battles all at once. I think it's going to be something released within time.

And yeah, if they kept the concept seen in the older trailer, you basically can take control of Prompto to snipe at far away enemies before they reach your party. That would mean you can manually control Prompto(and sniping is his "skill"). Maybe they are going to wait a little longer to unveil how you can control various of the party members, as well as their special abilities that differ from each other.

I was a big FF fan since the NES days but I stopped playing after FFX, I guess I just got burnt out or something. FFXV is looking like it could bring me back, looks amazing.

Gbraga

I think it is still in, there was a quick instance where the camera focuses off from Noctis and onto Ignis, he did some fire knife twirl attack, then it switched back and focused on Noctis right after.

It could have just been an assist though, but it definitely had a camera focus shift from Noctis to Ignis and then back to Noctis again, which was different to the other dual attack they did.

iSVHKoKIF1VFL.gif

I think that's just that annoying shit from Dragon's Dogma where the camera will show your pawn attracting the enemies attention or whatever.

Hope you can turn it off here too.

Road

Lots of speculation going on. What we know from the first real gameplay of FFXV is:

- you hold the "attack" button and Noctis automatically attacks nearby enemies with different weapons and combos and/or attack in combination with party members, depending on the situation.

- you hold the "defense" button and Noctis automatically evades physical attacks from nearby enemies.

- the "fire" command is selected and while Noctis is casting the spell you can choose the target, then release it.

- when none of the above is not selected, the "warp" ability is targeting warp points or enemies (in this case, the command name changes to "warp attack").

- you can move Noctis around in the battlefield.

- your party members attack, defend and move on the field without your input.

What we don't know:

- if we can switch party members
- if we can have the option of pressing the attack button individually for each physical attack
- if we can select the weapon Noctis uses
- if we can change how the party members AI behave
- if we can issue commands to party members while in battle
- if we can jump
- how do we choose which commands are available for the battle
- how do we select targets
- how summoning works

"bu bu bu Nomura said"

What he said about the gameplay is borderline irrelevant. I will stick with the actual game called FFXV being done by Hajime Tabata and forget the vaporware called FFVersusXIII that was not developed by Nomura for 7 years.

Philippo

This. I think people are fretting too much over the info they've released, when it's likely this info represents a sliver of the possibilities the entire gameplay holds. Square wouldn't reveal everything about battles all at once. I think it's going to be something released within time.

Exactly.
This was a tech demo, and the TGS trailer surely wasn't focused on gameplay, so i can't understand how people are making some statements when we know basically nothing of how the game plays.

Lots of speculation going on. What we know from the first real gameplay of FFXV is:

What we don't know:

- if we can switch party members
- if we can have the option of pressing the attack button individually for each physical attack
- if we can select the weapon Noctis uses
- if we can change how the party members AI behave
- if we can issue commands to party members while in battle
- if we can jump
- how do we choose which commands are available for the battle
- how do we select targets
- how summoning works

Damn a lot of key concerns hoping for the best tho, but the bold is what I want to know.

CentroXer

Banned
Probably because you have the yearly COD, battlefield, asscreed games around the same time frame. Not to mention Uncharted 4 is also a possibility

Uncharted,cod,BF, tomb raider, possibly the new halo and I think MGSV is releasing fall 2015 mid sept... So nope

BF is just hardwired, it is not going to sell like mainline game. CoD is CoD, will aways sell.

Final Fantasy is bigger then the other franchises imo. a new shiny mainline FF would probably not do bad in november. But that's just my opinion.

Feels like I have died and went to a FF heaven. I was out for a day and returned to plenty of new FF XV info, and even 8 mins of technical demonstration of the game's graphics and battle system. Wow, just wow.

pszet0

Banned
It was stated to be manual last year, we don't know if they changed it back to being automatic like the 2011 trailer yet.

Either way I hope you're right. I could see it being automatic on the ps3 due to hardware limitations but on current gen consoles there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to manually choose our weapon.

-Deimos

Camera is a bit way too close to Noctis. Makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

Speaking of, I feel the camera is the perfect distance from the character. Close enough to make you feel in control but still far enough to get a good look around.

KupoNut

Pretty impressed by the technical magic in that demo, best looking frog ever (seriously their shaders are so amazing), and wet Noctis looks so nice, I just hope everything holds together like that in larger areas and battles.

Cubed

I've never, ever cared about FF. I enjoyed watching X being played by a friend, but that was it.

This, however, looks freaking great!

Graphics don't wow me, so that showed me next to nothing of what I was interested in ie the combat

looks like i'm waiting for the demo to hit

Are these really in direct competition with FFXV? Maybe MGS, but I don't see Call of Duty eating into XV's sales.

You want the game to be the focal point of the month in which it releases, plus you got uncharted 4, halo , tomb raider a lot people are going to be broke. March 2016 is the perfect slot ;D besides let's just be happy that Lighting is gone

kudbinouxib3.gif

I like what I see. Nothing mind-blowing aside from some pretty graphics. Combat looks fun and the warp is going to be neat.

Will be the second Final Fantasy I'll play.

Kinda prefer the UI from the E3 version. I do think it'll still evolve a bit more before this game is released in 2019. Auto Attack sounding kinda eh, I hope you can still make all the swords revolve around him.

Also pls give me 400 hour story mode with 4 blu ray discs

sn00zer

Kinda prefer the UI from the E3 version. I do think it'll still evolve a bit more before this game is released in 2019. Auto Attack sounding kinda eh, I hope you can still make all the swords revolve around him.

Also pls give me 400 hour story mode with 4 blu ray discs

Dont worry you will....they will just be in separate boxes labeled FFXV, FFXV-2, FFXV-3, and FFXV-4

KupoNut

Kinda random but I hope Ignis can drop his glasses when getting hit, or other characters can drop their jewelry when being heavily damaged.

Also glad enemies give experience points when defeated, was worried they'd left that out.

Looking at this demo still feels so surreal, some genuine moments of "This has to be CG" with the lighting, reflections, shadows, cloth and camera angle all working together to give a perfect shot.

Squire

Banned
Hasn't been confirmed.

Weird. That was definitely in a summary from the thread when the demo was officially announced.

I'm not worried though. I can't see that not being in. If it's not exactly like KH, then that was one of the first things they added of it wasn't in this version of the game to start.

Top Bottom