• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

leadbelly

Banned
I like what I see. I've got this strange feeling that FFXV will be what Square-Enix thought FFXIII would be. The being the game that brings Final Fantasy into the modern era.

iavi

Graphically, the game looks fucking INCREDIBLE. But I'm not sold on that battle system. It looks like it wants to be strategic while maintaining the responsiveness of a dark souls, but retaining neither the strategy of the ATB or the weightiness to the combat of Dark Souls.

Kingdom Hearts, basically.

Early footage, so I'm hoping it all evens out by release.

He strikes me as a really generic VA. That was a huge issue with XIII, too. They opted to cast unknowns, but they were unknowns for a reason: they were mediocre actors and the script didn't help. Obviously Troy is more than capable and Ali Hillis is excellent in Mass Effect, but everyone else in that game was painfully C/D-tier.

I agree with some unknown choices, but I'd also rather have an actual voice actor than a celebrity just brought in for their name (unless they fit ofcourse). Also we can't discount the writing of XIII as you said. And that's certainly true that some unknowns are unknown for a reason, but I don't think his voice is particularly generic, I think it's pretty distinctive. Though it may be too old for Prompto anyway.

Also, he's more new than unknown I'd say, and he's become good enough to start headlining shows, plus he's breaking into even bigger things like One Piece where he supposedly had to get extra approval by the Japanese side, like all of the main cast supposedly, and it's reportedly one of the harder roles. Plus actors like Troy Baker ofcourse came from these kinds of beginnings.

I think whoever they get though, it'll come down the voice direction not sucking. I still can't believe how bad even some great VAs sound in some games.

Anyway, it's kind of jaw dropping we can finally even talk about voices lol...

Graphically, the game looks fucking INCREDIBLE. But I'm not sold on that battle system. It looks like it wants to be strategic while maintaining the responsiveness of a dark souls, but retaining neither the strategy of the ATB or the weightiness to the combat of Dark Souls.

Kingdom Hearts, basically.

Early footage, so I'm hoping it all evens out by release.
I don't think it's trying to be Dark Souls.

cnorwood

Banned
This is one of the main reasons I bought a ps4 (although a bit early). These graphics are so amazing and this early into the gen, is there any reason to use prerendered cut scenes anymore as graphics like these will probably be the standard in the future

DeSolos

The voice cast should include:

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S

butman

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S

Japanese voices for me. Hope they are included.

ZeroFate

Also, unlike some others I expect Stella to be playable, for at least a major part of the game, but not towards the beginning. I wonder if the black haired girl we know nothing about yet, besides that she exists, will be though.

I'm willing to bet the other party members haven't been revealed yet. At least I'm hoping, since all the characters revealed so far seem so bland (design wise). These boy band members are totally gonna bite it early-on too (sacrificing themselves for their Prince, no doubt).

I'm still holding out hope on SE revealing Agnis' Philosophy is in fact a part of FFXV. She had a crystal too, right? Hmmm.

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S

I don't really see a problem with most of them actually being in the cast. People want quality voice acting and you just listed some of the best voice actors in the industry. All that's really needed is a solid voice director so that Nolan doesn't sound like Drake.

injurai

Banned
I'm willing to bet the other party members haven't been revealed yet. At least I'm hoping, since all the characters revealed so far seem so bland (design wise). These boy band members are totally gonna bite it early-on too (sacrificing themselves for their Prince, no doubt).

I'm still holding out hope on SE revealing Agnis' Philosophy is in fact a part of FFXV. She had a crystal too, right? Hmmm.

Oh man that would be harsh, after seeing that group in all the promos after so many years. For some reason I feel like Stella will never be part of the core party. Maybe a few short chapters where her and Noctis meet up. But I get the feeling they will be at odds with each other.

anaron

Oh I would LOVE this but it ain't gonna happen

DeSolos

I don't really see a problem with most of them actually being in the cast. People want quality voice acting and you just listed some of the best voice actors in the industry. All that's really needed is a solid voice director so that Nolan doesn't sound like Drake.

There's no doubt some or most or all of them will be in it, and they are talented, but I would prefer a more unique sounding cast. I find that hearing the same people in every game I buy is very immersion breaking.

And on the subject of voice direction I'm with you! We definitely need someone solid, but I can't think of a good voice direction job in a Square Enix game since FFXII. FFXIII was hit and miss, but the sequels are abysmally directed.

Oh man that would be harsh, after seeing that group in all the promos after so many years. For some reason I feel like Stella will never be part of the core party. Maybe a few short chapters where her and Noctis meet up. But I get the feeling they will be at odds with each other.

That would be pretty crazy, I also doubt it but, I wonder what the response would be?

I think you're right that you'll be at odds for a lengthy part of the game, one way or the other, whether she joins at some point or not.

Yeah. They may be in a lot of stuff but they are really good and a number of them can do pretty different voices if the directors want them.

injurai

Banned
That would be pretty crazy, I also doubt it but, I wonder what the response would be?

I think you're right that you'll be at odds for a lengthy part of the game, one way or the other, whether she joins at some point or not.

Could they pull a Yuna with Stella? There is always some love tension finally reaching it's boiling point in the final act.

You know those scenes with young Noctis, I wonder if we will get see Stella and the other guys when there younger. Noctis has known Ignis and Prompto most of his life I believe. In fact most of his friends work for the royal family and have grown up with him. Stella might be that girl from an opposing nation that he spent time with annual when the adults held summit conventions.

iavi

I don't think it's trying to be Dark Souls.

Not be like Dark Souls, but have the weightiness to combat. Noctis has these real heavy attack animations, but the enemy hit reaction is almost nonexistent.

I almost feel like I'm nitpicking here, but those details make the biggest difference in terms of combat feel.

ZenTzen

As crazy as it sounds, I think Troy Baker is in everything more than JYB.

whats the problem with JYB, he was pretty good as Nero in DMC5

at least one thing hes better is in motion capture, hes great for those more physical demanding jobs, martial arts stuff and whatnot

Sanpunkan

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S

NO! If I find out JYB is in this game my hype will be so deflated.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Troy Baker is in everything more than JYB.

Amazingly enough, that doesn't sound impossible anymore lol. I enjoy hearing both of them.

Tara Strong probably still has the lead.

whats the problem with JYB, he was pretty good as Nero in DMC5

at least one thing hes better is in motion capture, hes great for those more physical demanding jobs, martial arts stuff and whatnot

Agreed, he may be in a lot of things so I can understand the occasional "I want to hear some new VAs", but I've enjoyed hearing him in a lot of his roles that he's done.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The video looks a little blurry, but I wonder if it's just the assets they use.

Either way, I hope this comes out next year.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I think the video is just not as hi-res as we would like it to be.

I have a problem with the crushed blacks though. Something seems to be wrong with the way black looks.

Rising_Hei

The degree of automation and the accompanying animations to make the battles look dynamic is what worries me. It seems like SE has been trying to simplify FF combat more and more to get the cinematic look of the combat right. But I'm worried they've sacrificed the quality and depth of the gameplay in order to achieve a flowing, cinematic style of combat.

Like FF has been any deep ever...
You could basically clear most FFs just pressing X if your characters were built to be like that or if you farmed your way around to get strong melee attack

Caffeine

it looks like level of detail seems to cut off like ~15 foot radius around noctus and everything is subsampled with depth of field outside of that bubble.

Nikokuno

really hoping they can capture the art direction in this shot in real-time

wXWcf60.jpg

I fucking love this trailer, love the opposition between Noctis and Stella, she seems very strong, determined, focused. That's why I hope that Stella and Luna are separated chars.

Yokai

I was struck by the realization that these are the most Japanese-looking characters I've ever seen in a JRPG.

Actually, besides hair, they have mostly western appearance. They look like they stepped into a time machine by mistake after a Greenday concert.

injurai

Banned
Actually, besides hair, they have mostly western appearance. They look like they stepped into a time machine by mistake after a Greenday concert.

Most of the characters look like some "middle" race that you get in those face combiners to demonstrate average facial traits of attractiveness.

I do think these are the most human looking characters in an rpg ever. In japan you really only see KojiPro using such humanistic faces.

I certainly feel a good handful of the characters, expecially the older characters that we've seen demonstrate distinctly japanese characteristics.

UrbanRats

Most of the characters look like some "middle" race that you get in those face combiners to demonstrate average facial traits of attractiveness.

I do think these are the most human looking characters in an rpg ever. In japan you really only see KojiPro using such humanistic faces.

I certainly feel a good handful of the characters, expecially the older characters that we've seen demonstrate distinctly japanese characteristics.
Team Silent had some pretty human faces, aptly adapted to the tone of the game in terms of red eyes and such.

You know those scenes with young Noctis, I wonder if we will get see Stella and the other guys when there younger. Noctis has known Ignis and Prompto most of his life I believe. In fact most of his friends work for the royal family and have grown up with him. Stella might be that girl from an opposing nation that he spent time with annual when the adults held summit conventions.

I kind of hope so at the moment thanks to that scene in the E3 trailer, I like the idea of getting to see our characters as kids, I'd like to see that kind of full backstory for them.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The Noctis button-down got an upgrade. It's more of a jacket now then a shirt. Did anyone else notice this?

They've been tweaking and outright modifying the character designs for nearly a decade (especially Noctis). I'd love to see a timeline image!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S
You literally just listed some of the most talented VAs in the industry, why are you being sarcastic? Only ones that would be worrysome is JYB and Nolan North, because of "Do the Ichigo voice"/"Do the Nathan Drake voice."

Troy Baker

Nolan North

Steve Blum

Yuri Lowenthal

Quinton Flynn

Liam O'Brien

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

and for the ladies

Laura Bailey

Tara Strong

MAJOR MAJOR /S

Now offense to all these VAs, as they are all talented, but I'm quite sick of seeing everybody play everybody. I wouldn't mind a few, but we are in SERIOUS need of new blood.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind if they did something similar to FFXII, have some American VAs as well as some European VAs. That gave FFXII a unique flavor. I mean, hell, I love Bergan's VA(Gary Martin). Get him back!

Hell, I think the added European VAs(maybe even more British VAs) could add to the whole "Shakespearean" feel. Depends what they wanna do. With the Lords of Shadow games concluded, I'm sure both Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart could make an awesome addition to XV.

sn00zer

You literally just listed some of the most talented VAs in the industry, why are you being sarcastic? Only ones that would be worrysome is JYB and Nolan North, because of "Do the Ichigo voice"/"Do the Nathan Drake voice."

Dude Nolan North has some fantastic voices when h's not doing the Nathan Drake voice....due is talented

-GOUKI-

Nah. I think with the exception of the old dudes, most of the characters look like members of a Korean/Japanese boyband
20110221_jaejoong11.jpg

Noctis_VersusXIII-side.jpg

kimjoon_49.jpg

from a previous trailer i thought you manually select which sword you want to use and then attack....to find out now that its all automated...ehh

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Your first statement doesn't seem hard. Chances are it will be better than XIII. That second statement however...sadly improbable. This game doesn't have an ounce of the subtlety and originality of XII from what we've seen. Even if it's fantastic, there's no way they surpass XII.

"Let's tread lightly shall we?" That goddamn delivery. Impeccable.

It's even more astonishing when you consider Gideon was Sam in Vanquish. Why is this man not a Troy Baker or Nolan North?

Mortemis

Banned
You still haven't clarified if you meant ATB or turn-based. They're massively different things and not 'the same formula'.

If you meant 'picking an action then picking a target' off a menu, you have a point, as opposed to stuff like early Tales or Seiken Densetsu.

Considering that there hasn't been any footage of attacks missing/whiffing in XV so far I'm still inclined to believe the final product is going to be a action->target formula (The panel on the bottom left seems to attempt to convey as much in this latest tech demo) so it's still the same concept*. Just not ATB nor turn based.

*(not a button masher like a musou or KH where you actually have to position yourself so your attacks land, for example)

So you mean holding/tapping the attack button won't have you automatically attack, but getting near enough to an enemy while holding the attack button will trigger an attack instead? Basically you wouldn't be able to swing at the air.

Still feel burned that everything I've been hyping doesn't seem to be there, but I'll hold off rash reactions till I see more or play it, it can still end up fun.

Top Bottom