• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round Fighting games tournament - Streaming Live this weekend - March 11-13th

vocab said:
The only bad thing about team spooky streams is that they let some random person get on the mic, or for commentating, and they either just ramble about non sense, or just ghetto up the stream, and curses like crazy. Even Yipes is a little more professional when it comes to his commentating.

But isn't that the charm of TS? For me, I'd rather watch Vic's stuff than anybody else.

Zabka

USD said:
Not a fan of posting mega GIFs, but this needs to be immortalized for all to see. The Undefeatable Arm of Nathan "Combofiend" Spencer:

bionicarm2ydq8.gif
21nf4vc.jpg

I love how Alex sat in the back of the stream, for like the whole tournament. He even tried to get us to delay his marvel matches because he was on the stream. This was followed by me screaming into the mic "I don't give a fuck about that shit, get the fuck over here and play your god damn match". TWICE.

Sp00ky is by far the most wiry energetic person I've met since I've been involved in tournaments. I don't know if he shotguns like 30 redbulls before hand or what. The guy never stopped moving.

Xtyle

Out of all these games I think I enjoyed watching Tekken the least. Some of the fights seemed a little random and it just seemed people could get perfect wins in the game the most compared to SF4, MvC3, etc. Also seems the juggles is like 75% of the Tekken game.
So, I got a serious question, why isn't VF5 in these tournaments when Tekken is there? Seems like VF5 is a deeper fighting game (is it because that the new VF5 ver isn't on console and that the U.S has no arcades?)

"Out of all these games I think I enjoyed watching Tekken the least. Some of the fights seemed a little random and it just seemed people could get perfect wins in the game the most compared to SF4, MvC3, etc. Also seems the juggles is like 75% of the Tekken game.
So, I got a serious question, why isn't VF5 in these tournaments when Tekken is there? Seems like VF5 is a deeper fighting game (is it because that the new VF5 ver isn't on console and that the U.S has no arcades?)"

This is almost like saying combos are 75% of the MVC3 game.

VF5 isn't in these tournaments because no one plays VF5 in the US and it seems like Sega intends to keep it that way. (Sadly)

Team Spooky has turned me onto watching fighting games streams. The commentators but also the weird, DIY, overthetop, random intros etc. Lovin it

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
bigben85 said:
Out of all these games I think I enjoyed watching Tekken the least. Some of the fights seemed a little random and it just seemed people could get perfect wins in the game the most compared to SF4, MvC3, etc. Also seems the juggles is like 75% of the Tekken game.
So, I got a serious question, why isn't VF5 in these tournaments when Tekken is there? Seems like VF5 is a deeper fighting game (is it because that the new VF5 ver isn't on console and that the U.S has no arcades?)
It's not the most spectator friendly game, but a lot of people love playing it - the reality is that Tekken has probably one of the most consistent competitive fighting game scenes worldwide. If someone could gather all the numbers, it might even be the largest competitive FG overall - active communities throughout East and Southeast Asia, North America, and Europe, showings at numerous corporate-sponsored events like MLG and Tekken Crash, highest grossing fighting game series in arcades in Japan, etc. So while it's not an audience favorite, the numbers of players actually present at tournaments have been consistently high for Tekken... even through the fighting game "dark ages" between SF3 and SF4.

Sega has been absolutely terrible at supporting Virtua Fighter internationally, so there isn't much of a scene for the series outside of Japan. Kinda hard to maintain a community if the developer doesn't even allow foreign players to import the latest version of the game.

vocab

ExMachina said:
Sega has been absolutely terrible at supporting Virtua Fighter internationally, so there isn't much of a scene for the series outside of Japan. Kinda hard to maintain a community if the developer doesn't even allow foreign players to import the latest version of the game.

Yup. VF5 is pretty fun to watch. Sega just doesn't give a flying fuck.

Top Bottom