• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

"Yaaaaay no waifu's~"

You guys realize that you're about to play a game with characters like this, right?

Let's not beat around the bush. FE always had waifus.

They probably mean no in game marriage. With children.
And no Avatar.

I'm with DecoReturns here.

I actively avoided S supports in Fates because I could not stomach the outrealms BS and it deserves to be shunned, Corrin is also the one of the most insufferable MC in the games I played, the gameplay of Fates carried the entire game

Sure, it's "optional" but in terms of Conquest I'm basically arbitrarily putting a limit on the EXP gains, and I did not buy the EXP dlc

Hylian7

I have the LE of this coming via Amazon on Friday. I have heard the criticisms of the original, and it is kind of disappointing the map design didn't really change. However so much about this game looks excellent. I particularly love the art style, and it's probably my favorite the series has had yet. I would be totally okay with FE sticking with that art style.

Shirke

This is a pretty bullshit, non-answer. Here's the real scoop:

Do you want a well realized FE narrative with good characters, fun character building and decent strategy mechanics? Buy it.
Do you heavily dislike basic gameplay and horrible map design? Consider passing until the game's on sale. It's one of the weakest modern Fire Emblem games on that front.

Basically, in this case it does come down to what you value more in a game, presentation (graphical design, story, characters, etc.) or gameplay (map design, game flow, etc.).

Basically, in this case it does come down to what you value more in a game, presentation (graphical design, story, characters, etc.) or gameplay (map design, game flow, etc.).

Really hoping FE on Switch has both. I'd love to see this artist do the Switch title as well. (Oh, and full voice acting again, please.)

Rutger

Banned
Seeing people act like Conquest doesn't have some of the best gameplay in the series is saddening.

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm prepared for the gameplay to be a step down.

Shirke

It is a weird thing for the series where in recent years it seems when we get a Fire Emblem, it's either good presentation or gameplay, with a pendulum swinging between either one.

To me it is disappointing with Echoes' great presentation, they didn't bother using some of the Conquest design to make any updates to what is literally some of the most worst maps in Fire Emblem. I don't believe that remakes should keep what was so heavily flawed from the original to be "faithful" to it, but I do understand that this is mostly just one last effort to milk off the 3DS engine before the Switch game next year, so I guess making new maps wasn't high on the priority list.

I don't believe that remakes should keep what was so heavily flawed from the original to be "faithful" to it, but I do understand that this is mostly just one last effort to milk off the 3DS engine before the Switch game next year, so I guess making new maps wasn't high on the priority list.

That said, I do like the choreography & style of the battles now. I remember being so impressed by Awakening's animations after Path of Radiance, and they've only gotten better from there.

I really hope they keep that style for the Switch title.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I'm assuming this is more in for people who loved Fire Emblem 7 and 8 and not for those who got into the series with Awakening or Fates? I don't know anything about the game prior to the reveal trailer and this review thread.
This is literally for people who got into awakening and fates to go back and play THE old games in a more modern style

Read most reviews.

Seems like a great game, just different then the last two that people became accustomed too.

Good story and characters as well. Sounds great honestly. I could use a better story after the last two games, even at the price of gameplay Conquest offered.

Excited to see what a Switch FE will be.

C_-ge-LUQAA-iz2.jpg

I love 8-4.

Lunar15

Tbf, I think it does matter. I don't think players are that critical of their favorite games, like I love Fe4 but it has alot of jank that will rightly turn off people.

I agree. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn aren't particularly special fire emblems in the grand scheme of things, I just have a soft spot for them because they hit at the right time.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I will say I'm getting a chortle seeing people defend Awakening and Fates' pandering saying the series has always had "waifus", only to not buy this game because it doesn't have "waifus".
Yeesh.

Zebetite

Banned
I will say I'm getting a chortle seeing people defend Awakening and Fates' pandering saying the series has always had "waifus", only to not buy this game because it doesn't have "waifus".
Yeesh.

Literally nobody in this thread has said that without really obviously signalling their sarcasm.

It's cool, though. I know there's a lot of Fire Emblem Old Boys Club circlejerking to sift through, so it can be tough to tell.

Does anyone know how does the difficulty compare in this game? Is lunatic available from the start, and if so, how does it compare to conquest and birthright's lunatics?

Shirke

Does anyone know how does the difficulty compare in this game? Is lunatic available from the start, and if so, how does it compare to conquest and birthright's lunatics?

There's no lunatic in this game, only normal and hard, at least available right now. Apparently there were game files referring to lunatic, so either it is coming as DLC or was something that was scrapped.

In terms of difficulty, people say that due to the garbage map design, all difficulty comes from enemy bulk and strength, which can be circumvented with grinding, but the post-game apparently takes this to a whole new level.

Dark_castle

Are you insulting the map design in Path of Radiance?
That's it, I challenge you to a duel at dawn.

edit:Now I'm not actually sure if I was thinking of 9 or 10, haha. It's been too long, get on those remakes Nintendo.
PoR had good map design, RD had best map design. God do I loved those defend chapters. <3 Elincia's Gambit.

stoff

As the NES games are the ones I've never seriously played for more than two hours, I'm basically going in blind.
Can't wait!
Here's hoping it rekindles my love for this series. I had to drop Fates after barely a dozen chapters because I just couldn't bear the inanity of its characters.

(Genealogy spoilers)
Why shouldn't it have been in the game? Of all FE games Genealogy is the one that actually handles incest seriously and doesn't play it up as a fetish. At any case I don't think either IS or Nintendo have much of an issue with the subject considering Fates.

I don't think there's anything in Genealogy that should make them hesitate on a remake. The game handles some dark subject matters, but nothing that they can't get away with in a T rated game. As for the developers not wanting to kill off characters, I like to believe they still have it in them to keep characters dead, specially since Emmerin was just a streetpass thing and in my mind her coming back isn't canon since it's not part of the main game :p

I think the biggest problem might actually be the child hunts but Genealogy doesn't really dwelve into it that much so it shouldn't be an issue.
At this point Nintendo can take a chance with a M rating FE game as long as FE heros continue to make banks.

Dark_castle

Seeing people act like Conquest doesn't have some of the best gameplay in the series is saddening.

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm prepared for the gameplay to be a step down.
I think most people acknowledge that Conquest had great gameplay, but because the story is so god awful it drags the whole thing down, not to mention all the atrocious fanservice crap. A solid B-.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't really care about no Avatar thingie, but please tell me we can still play matchmaking between characters with Support convos right?

Thinking of buying a 3ds/2ds for this.

Edit: Just read Gamespot's review; meh, no stuff like that, I guess? Support convos are the biggest reason why I buy Fire Emblem games, tbh...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No matchmaking, though support conversations still exist to flesh out backstories and relationships.

No choosing, for example, which characters I want to have the best relationship with with a particular character? What I mean is, is it just one support for each character or there are multiples that I can choose?

Costia

Is this a good first game for someone who hasn't played any of the FE games? OR is birthlight better for someone new?
I tried the ios game and want something without microtransactions/gacha.

No choosing, for example, which characters I want to have the best relationship with with a particular character? What I mean is, is it just one support for each character or there are multiples that I can choose?

You can decide which to prioritize and to what extent, but there are no romances or marriage or children.

Riposte

Very much looking forward to this. I'm a fan of new and old FE but after Awakening/Fates I think a return to the classic style will be a welcome breath of fresh air for me.

Best game series just keeps giving.

Can you really say a Gaiden remake is a return to the classic style?

I question the value of SRPG reviews when bad tactical maps isn't a big deal.

casiopao

Well as always for FE thread, it will mostly about which FE is better than the others...... cant everyone just be happy hiks.

Strings

It can't be worse than Awakening or Fates, right?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like that pretty much everyone is praising the writing of the secondary characters.

In terms of gameplay, eaaaasily worse. Gaiden maps are pretty laughable, and I can't believe they kept them exactly the same.

Something as insignificant as changing a win objective from rout to seize would have made a fair few of them way less annoying.

Zaventem

I like a lot the new artist, but I LOVE Y&#363;suke Kozaki art a lot and it made me sad that this was not also done by him :(

Y&#363;suke Kozaki was good to with the exception of the toilet bowl knights wihch slighly improve in fates. We went from they epic shit on the GBA and DS games to something so laughable.

Wait I'm confused. Why are people saying that there are no waifus? Also, is that a bad thing?
Funny, My order from Amazon just shipped.

They never ship until the day before release.

Mine hasn't, but says it is expected to ship the 17th
Same here. Order info says "Preparing to Ship".

Also I just realized that I have two preorders of this and they're both ready to ship out. One from GameStop which I COMPLETELY forgot about until I saw the charge on my bank account. The other one from Amazon.

Uh oh.

-Horizon-

Y&#363;suke Kozaki was good to with the exception of the toilet bowl knights wihch slighly improve in fates. We went from they epic shit on the GBA and DS games to something so laughable.
And I don't think that's even Kozaki's fault. I recall reading somewhere that the armor designer wanted it to look like that.

Wait I'm confused. Why are people saying that there are no waifus? Also, is that a bad thing?

Same here. Order info says "Preparing to Ship".

Also I just realized that I have two preorders of this and they're both ready to ship out. One from GameStop which I COMPLETELY forgot about until I saw the charge on my bank account. The other one from Amazon.

Uh oh.
Of course there are waifus. You just can't marry any of them yourself.

I guess it would be a bad thing if that's something you liked to do in the previous games when you paired your team off.

Moonlight

Banned
And I don't think that's even Kozaki's fault. I recall reading somewhere that the armor designer wanted it to look like that.
Armour and weapon design are credited to the art director, not Kozaki himself. Kozaki was responsible for the character art and designs otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom